American Sniper

everytime i hear about american soldiers fighting for freedom and democracy it makes me think its like 1940 and we have to fight communism still

American sniper is about a war created by bush jr wanting to avenge his dads previous debacle in the same region.

Muslims are always painted with a broad stroke in these films.

At the end of the day, I can respect a man /woman who CHOOSES to be in the military but even they don't agree with everything they're thrown into.

Let's not act like this guy was sort of guy who we should respect. Let's not act like a lot of military guys dont go off their rocker because of what they're exposed too.

Last edited:
as the movie went on and he started going home I honestly thought a 1-800 number was going to pop up for a PTSD help line.

Depends, 90% of the friends that went over don't have that feeling. It really depends on the individual and why they signed up for service. The ones who did it patriotic reasons usually continue to do so. The ones that did it for the GI bill or some other ulterior motive don't always feel that way.

Agreed, it does depend on the individual, but a lot of times you're not dealing with guys who can think for themselves. I know lifers that don't share this mindset, just doing it for the benefits. Then I've met guys that only do what's required, that have that patriotic uppity attitude.

And that's all they know how to say. They go into the military, they get psychologically manipulated, built back up into a soldier mentality to never ask questions and only take orders, and if someone asks you "why" you did say "Did it for my/your/our freedom".

Meanwhile, those same people that send them to wars, refuse to pay them what's entitled to them and have no problems destroying our " freedom and democracy " back home.

Meanwhile, those same people that send them to wars, refuse to pay them what's entitled to them and have no problems destroying our " freedom and democracy " back home.

That's the thing. You see so many kids (mostly working class) enlist when you see soldiers get treated like **** when they come back. They send to a sand box for a year at a time, you get shot at and maybe shot or lose a limb, and then you come back. Then what?

haven't seen the movie and not sure i want to. as a soldier the last thing i need is more hours of ********* shoved down my throat but i digress.

my original point for posting: those that watched the movie say there was a made up sniper in the film. do any of guys know if it was supposedly based off Juba?

haven't seen the movie and not sure i want to. as a soldier the last thing i need is more hours of ********* shoved down my throat but i digress.
my original point for posting: those that watched the movie say there was a made up sniper in the film. do any of guys know if it was supposedly based off Juba?

At work so I can't research but the character was a Syrian Olympian

I don't think he was made up, just not nearly as important in the book as in the movie. Haven't read the book so correct me if I'm wrong.

Just read sniper was fake added to the movie to make it more exciting

how was that not obvious to some of you?

movie was 'ok'?
wasnt no Saving Private Ryan

i served so i know how big this movie is to the gung ho military types, conservatives, and gun nuts

ugh, those types are annoying as ****

i served with guys that watched Full Metal Jacket every day :x

that's what you took from my post? when did I say you couldn't have an opinion, i just said i didnt enjoy it, but thats just me.. i dont enjoy the insight of people who have never experienced the situation but feel so informed about the emotions or the sacrifice...and no, i would never want YOU to enlist.

**** what you enjoy b.

we all are tax paying constituents of this nation.

we have a ******* right to speak for or against those who serve US.

i never asked any of you to go fight two illegal wars for us, for a bunch of ******** reasons.

i don't have to step one foot on iraqi or afghani soil to know that our occupation was wrong.

what sacrifice b? only sacrifice was for the elite 1% and the oil barons of this nation.

because none of our freedoms were at stake if we fought those wars.

and what's more? what did it solve? are terror groups gone? no, more rise from the ashes of the ones past.

and what's more? folks who weren't extremists now take up arms against us because THEIR innocent families were killed.

their mothers & fathers, their husbands & wives, their uncles, aunts, nieces, nephews, cousins, sons & daughters.

and what's funny/tragic about all that? you don't even know why you served, nor most. because all I keep hearing is same ******** slogans like "freedom isn't free". HELL Chris Kyle had to convince himself every single person he killed was evil just so he can live with himself.

no it's not free, it's paid for by the blood of those innocent lives lost in war.

Last edited:
Saying you love a good war movie just means you bought into the celebration of death and battle. Thats how propaganda works, brah. Smh

not all wars are equal, some are just. i'll stand behind the men & women who serve this nation when the cause is rightfully just.

so you can save your overly simplistic, shallow blanket statements for someone who is ignorant.

I'm not the one and today's not the day.

**** what you enjoy b.

i never asked any of you to go fight two illegal wars for us, for a bunch of ******** reasons.

i don't have to step one foot on iraqi or afghani soil to know that our occupation was wrong.

what sacrifice b? only sacrifice was for the elite 1% and the oil barons of this nation.

and what's more? what did it solve? are terror groups gone? no, more rise from the ashes of the ones past.

and what's more? folks who weren't extremists now take up arms against us because THEIR innocent families were killed.

their mothers & fathers, their husbands & wives, their uncles, aunts, nieces, nephews, cousins, sons & daughters.

and what's funny/tragic about all that? you don't even know why you served, nor most. because all I keep hearing is same ******** slogans like "freedom isn't free". HELL Chris Kyle had to convince himself every single person he killed was evil just so he can live with himself.

no it's not free, it's paid for by the blood of those innocent lives lost in war.

View media item 1364905

Btw, can we stop with this 'I served' trope? You didn't serve anybody. You were paid. Stop manipulating language.

View media item 1364905

Btw, can we stop with this 'I served' trope? You didn't serve anybody. You were paid. Stop manipulating language.

and yet

serve: 2. To do a term of duty
7. To fight or undergo military service for:

what language would we be manipulating... i hadn't realized you couldn't get paid for a service :rolleyes

**** what you enjoy b.

NOT once have i condoned or supported this war.. all i have said was i could care less about the opinions of ppl who haven't been there.. but
you explaining your thoughts on why others decide to serve is very insightful.. thank you.. please continue to explain the thought process of someone/something you know nothing about..

Last edited:
I'm not celebrating folks who enlisted because they had no other way to go in life.

I will celebrate the old timers who were drafted and current folks who truly wanted to to go tho

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom