Anyone completely stop drinking?

my brother is in rehab right now for alcohol
I drink beer here and there and only started doing that recently, I had completely stopped for years, I was never a heavy drinker before though

I don’t drink much at all but I do sip on some cheap wine and wine coolers when I feel need a buzz. I’m definitely not an alcoholic though. But I can understand the need for alcoholic beverages when it’s needed to release some stress or problem your having.

My dad was kinda an alcoholic but he’s chilled out now in his 50’s. I chilled out from alcohol when I moved in back with parents cause some **** happen to me. But when I was living with my roommates in queens I was drinking constantly. Not any more only sip wine and cheap wine coolers. No heavy stuff. I rather live long and keep my liver healthy.

Good luck to the peope who got that alcohol addiction it ain’t easy with an kind of addiction.

Day 3 gonna take it one day at a time. I still got 2 henny bottles and a bottle of patron that keep tempting me tho maybe ill do babysteps and only drink on weekends.

I only drink 3 times a year or so. Don't get drunk I just get nice.

I always decline alcohol

I don't like it.

I stay sober.

Im a thinker not a drinker.

Day 3 gonna take it one day at a time. I still got 2 henny bottles and a bottle of patron that keep tempting me tho maybe ill do babysteps and only drink on weekends.

I can guarantee you, if you're keeping something on you, you're trying to quit it won't work

Can't do babysteps my man, gotta be all in, if you threw out those bottles or gave them away and felt that pain, then you'd feel the real change...if you really want it can't minimalize what you're gonna go through to get it homie.

It's gotta suck before it even remotely gets better. I solely avoid alcohol at any costs because early sobriety sucks.
Its like banging your head against a brick wall and you have literally no idea whether you should, the wall will break or when it will, but it does eventually.

on top of going through that, you need to do more work than you were doing, your last time around

Last edited:
I can guarantee you, if you're keeping something on you, you're trying to quit it won't work

Can't do babysteps my man, gotta be all in, if you threw out those bottles or gave them away and felt that pain, then you'd feel the real change...if you really want it can't minimalize what you're gonna go through to get it homie.

It's gotta suck before it even remotely gets better. I solely avoid alcohol at any costs because early sobriety sucks.
Its like banging your head against a brick wall and you have literally no idea whether you should, the wall will break or when it will, but it does eventually.

on top of going through that, you need to do more work than you were doing, your last time around
Yeah but last time i just started smoking again but i cant smoke anymore i think thats why im drinking more smh. I cant drop bad habits it seems just replace them

Yeah but last time i just started smoking again but i cant smoke anymore i think thats why im drinking more smh. I cant drop bad habits it seems just replace them

Yeah that's how it works man. It's all mental though. lol I actually picked up smoking again just because I'm working on something I love and it's stressin me out, but in a good way(def doesn't make me want to drink) I'm just trying to feel that void too. I just know with cigarettes, it's gonna take me 3 weeks to go through a pack, but regardless, I'm gonna have to cut that out too.
It's hard at first because your trying to compensate what you think you're missing. When I stopped drinking I ate soooo much damn candy, then I got that under control. it's a bounce around thing for sure, but as long as I'm just sober, it won't be even as close to as bad if I wasn't.

We ALL have bad habits, big or small....it's just which ones will affect your life in a more negative way. Being aware of them and actively monitoring are the first steps to getting rid of them.

It's been easy for me. I can go up to a year without a drink. Good luck to those who are trying to wean themselves off.

I've employed a 5 drink max this year.

I don't have an issue with drinking but the goal this year was to not ever wake up hungover. At this point in my life i can't afford to waste any time recovering from tomfoolery. Never mind whole days.

So as it stands I only usually have 3-4 drinks at the weekend and it's been smooth sailing.

Before i used to abstain for periods as i found it easier than managing moderation. Now after 32yrs i think i've got it figured out :lol:

But as others have said, if you feel like you do have an issue with addiction you need to totally remove it from your equation.

It's been easy for me. I can go up to a year without a drink. Good luck to those who are trying to wean themselves off.

Yeah, drinking for me is a social thing so if I don’t go out for months then I won’t be touching alcohol. Liquor and beer taste bad to me so I don’t pair them with my meals unless I find some wine that isn’t too dry.

I can assume this thread is about people addicted to alc...Ask yourself why did you start drinking so much in the first place? What are you trying to numb/get away from? Is it money/relationships/ something bad that happened to you. Reach deep inside and find out why, and face that problem head on. If its something you cant fix, like something that happened to you, look up stoicism and have acceptance. If its something you can change, I can only imagine drinking isnt actively helping your problem since its not going to help you make money, with relationships...If you are addicted to it because youre more social, then guess what, learn being social without the alcohol crutch. That way you can be a social person all the time, rather then when you are drinking, even if you are drinking all the time.

Been awhile
How's everyone doing?
Holidays have crept up and I think I've solved my desire to want to just drink for the hell of it. Makes it worse that I'm not even going though anything bad and I'm putting in work, both in my recovery and my professional life. I started a rewards program with myself, since thats what it comes down to(Having that "I deserve a drink because i did xyz.") I'm not in the worse shape by any means, but I know I could be better, and it's hard not to want to get on yourself especially when you become aware of your faults.

I hope all is well with my NT Fam

Haven’t drank heavily since that wedding in August. Now if I drink its one beer when I’m out or eating.

Hope everyone enjoys their holidays responsibly.

Im from Houston. I drank 3-4 st. Arnolds bishops barrels every few days. (~12-16% abv) Weight balooned to 275, bad health, 3 accidents, a ton of money wastes. I slowly fazed out drinking last new years. In doing so, I quadrupled my thc intake via dabs, which in turn I've lost 40 lbs, lowered cholesterol, lowered blood pressure AND I moved to Vegas where I work at the largest dispensary and have not had a drop of alcohol here. I know try to help people breaking addictions with the help of THC.

Sounds like you just replaced one addiction with another.

Addiction? Because sensing a new lease on life, moving to help people with opiate crisis and getting my savings together ( for the first time ever) is feeding an addiction? Did you see how I lowered my cholesterol/blood pressure? I love how close minded people still are. Weed is worse than alcohol! I also have taken my thc intake down and upped my CBD intake. But is that an addiction too? You sound like big pharma mad about not getting kickbacks because people want a natural remedy than liquid morphine and speed. But please, drink your coffee. It's not an addiction.

P.s. I work in the biggest dispensary in the U.S. and my "addiction" currently shows me people smoke not to get high, but bc the VA, and Dr.'s wants to kill them slowly. But please, keep speaking of this addiction?

From what I read, that's what it seemed like.

Congratulations either way.

How's everyone doing?
Me? Just got back from celebrating my 5 year wedding anniversary in paris/london for the past 2 weeks. For the most part it was relaxing, but 2 things had me really wanting a drink.
The first was before boarding the initial flight to London, as we are literally in that tunnel to enter the plane my wife says "where's my phone?" and then starts touching feeling her pockets and can't find it, so she exits out that tunnel to go back in the airport to look for it. I board the plane, and after 10 mins of intense waiting, she boards and grabs the seat next to me and i ask her where was it, and she says "it was in my pocket." :stoneface:

Here's some background ON THAT. A few weeks before the trip she tried to sell me on instead of bringing a backpack, getting this coat that has 23 pockets. I refused as I wanted a day backpack(portable battery and an DSLR, as well as gloves beanie when it got hot) it turned into a heated exchange and a few days later she proposed an anti theft backpack, which I was on board with as it fit my style and had compartments galore. She, of course got the coat and rocked it to the airport. So, she already knew I was pretty heated that before we even get to the destination, the thing she purchased to make the trip easier, is already hindering her. The usage got better though and that was that.

The 2nd was when we were checking into our london airbnb and the owner had these elaborate instructions on how to obtain the key to get in the place. The key was on a bike rack a block away from the apt. But guess what , there's like 5 different sets of bike racks and it's like 30 degrees outside. So it took me like 45 mins to find the key. Then we get up there and the place is great, and my wife wants to take a bath, but there's no hot water, so we call the owner, who is letting some company run her listing(didn't even know that was possible) and we play phone tag for another hour(owner didn't pay the bill basically) so after that I'm pretty frustrated with the day and go to the store to get snacks, juice, etc. and the fragrance of wine fills the store I'm in and I'm wondering if I'm trippin off of how bad I want a drink. Turns out some idiot broke an entire bottle of wine near the cash register, so I had to pay there, with wine literally at my feet. I haven't wanted a drink this bad in such a long time. So i ate, took a nap and then headed out to our plans(meeting my wife's cousin she hadn't seen since she was like 5-6, so like over 20 yrs) It was a great time and when they mentioned getting drinks later on and I got weird about things, without mentioning I was in recovery, it was just a bar that mainly served, specialty sodas and juices. SO that made me feel good and was a great way to end a horrible day.

:lol:My wife was saying those two days she could tell I was on the verge of losing it, just flipping out, and that was something she hadn't seen in a minute.

What's everyone holidays looking like?
I'm doing christmas with my parents and sometime in January we'll be meeting with my wifes to celebrate(kinda a new tradition, since we are all spread out) The only hiccup with that is the whole situation with my SIL since we do a gift exchange also through amazon wish list. I didn't really feel like getting her anything last year and didn't feel like it this year, since I don't consider herself family, let alone a friend. SO I wrote her that she doesn't have to get me a gift as I didn't plan on getting her one and din't really feel like being phony and talking to her or interacting with her. I think it's important, that people(especially the family) see the disconnect, because she be trying to be phony and ham it up with me, when everyone knows how I feel.

Just shedding the dead weight off

I’ve been sober for a week and I haven’t felt this good in years. It took me losinmy gradfather and spending this last week in Cali with my mother to get off the sauce.

Used to drink heavy in the corps... got 2 njps cause of alcohol...

Only been drunk a few times since I been out.

If I drink now I'll have a couple neat drinks and that's about it. Might grab a beer or two depending on where I'm at.

Don't like being drunk... I rather roll up 2 spliffs and chill...

Definitely touching that gentlemen jack tonite though.....

It's crazy how little I need to drink now to feel a buzz. Haven't drank hard since my last blackout.

It's crazy how little I need to drink now to feel a buzz. Haven't drank hard since my last blackout.
When was your last blackout. Ive went hard in the past, but I’ve never blacked out. How much did you drink when you blacked out?

When was your last blackout. Ive went hard in the past, but I’ve never blacked out. How much did you drink when you blacked out?

To be fair I'm a light weight to being with. Also I have no idead how much I drank, that's how bad the blackouts are.

Countless times that I come to and find myself walking in an unfamiliar area.

Back
Top Bottom