Anyone have a 4k Ultra HD television? Help

holiday season I was looking for a new TV and was still skeptical about curved TVs. saw a 65inch in Costco Samsung UHD for $825. Never looked back. great buy. something to note was when I was physically there at Costco comparing prices one TV looked exactly the same but was $100 more. it had a more advanced/special/bigger/cooler looking remote control. that's it. I stuck with my $825 and it turns out that every Samsung remote works for any samsung TV. joog that I had a better remote from a previous TV already
grin.gif

Don't know if that helps but my 2 cents

Monitor SlickDeals.net. Not condoning how they're going about getting their TVs, but IIRC, people were buying 65" 8000s for like $790 or somewhere there abouts at the end of '16  beginning of '17. Mind you, you have to be vigilant because the prices fluctuate rather frequently. Also, people try and charge for access the employee portal; however  if you search, there are insttructions on you how to access the employee's portal for free. Lastly, some people reported issues with their sets when they received them. Just something to bear in mind if you do decide to got that route...
The original deal was 65" KS8000 for $1499 (back in Sept/Oct), I think it dropped to as low as $1199-$1299 but not $790, that was like the Black Friday price for the 55" KS8000 on Samsung.com with corporate pricing. However, it seems like they're cracking down on all the accounts that stemmed from these deals. I purchased my 55" KS800 at $1,029 (in October) through referral from Slickdeals (paid someone $5 for the referral link), had the corporate account linked to my samsung.com account, but just this week I logged in to browse and noticed I no longer had the corporate pricing. So, it might be more difficult to get a referral with access to Samsung corporate pricing now.

Edit: Just did a search, 65" KS8000 is now $1,079 (if you can get access to Samsung EPP)

Last edited:

Monitor SlickDeals.net. Not condoning how they're going about getting their TVs, but IIRC, people were buying 65" 8000s for like $790 or somewhere there abouts at the end of '16  beginning of '17. Mind you, you have to be vigilant because the prices fluctuate rather frequently. Also, people try and charge for access the employee portal; however  if you search, there are insttructions on you how to access the employee's portal for free. Lastly, some people reported issues with their sets when they received them. Just something to bear in mind if you do decide to got that route...
The original deal was 65" KS8000 for $1499 (back in Sept/Oct), I think it dropped to as low as $1199-$1299 but not $790, that was like the Black Friday price for the 55" KS8000 on Samsung.com with corporate pricing. However, it seems like they're cracking down on all the accounts that stemmed from these deals. I purchased my 55" KS800 at $1,029 (in October) through referral from Slickdeals (paid someone $5 for the referral link), had the corporate account linked to my samsung.com account, but just this week I logged in to browse and noticed I no longer had the corporate pricing. So, it might be more difficult to get a referral with access to Samsung corporate pricing now.

Edit: Just did a search, 65" KS8000 is now $1,079 (if you can get access to Samsung EPP)
The 65" was sub $1K. You're probably closer to the actually cost than me because you've probably been following closer than me. I just know $700/800ish was thrown around in that thread and I'm too lazy to sift threw all of SD (maybe I'll check more thoroughly if someone is super interested), but just going through a few pages during the Black Friday/Christmas timeframe, the lowest 60" was $854 and the 65" was $939.  Anyway, the $700 pricing for the 65" could have been after someone received some type of Discover rebate/price match deal. Then again, I could be wrong entirely, too. I looked through a lot pages/threads around Christmas time ...

I was coming in here to help out but seen people talking about Vizio M series and 65 Curve UHD and see that people still don't have a clue ...

If that's your budget, great .. But if you really think they are just as good as higher end models ... SMH

Some of the best deal are on one again the KS8000 and 930D ...

In regards to sound bars ... The new sound touch BOSE is phenomenal ... You have the HTST9 and Samsung atmos that compliment those well.

But if you want something serious get a marantz rec. Some atoms DeathTech or B&W speakers maybe a Panasonic 4k ... You know what I'm not even going there ... To much ..

I was coming in here to help out but seen people talking about Vizio M series and 65 Curve UHD and see that people still don't have a clue ...

If that's your budget, great .. But if you really think they are just as good as higher end models ... SMH

Some of the best deal are on one again the KS8000 and 930D ...

In regards to sound bars ... The new sound touch BOSE is phenomenal ... You have the HTST9 and Samsung atmos that compliment those well.

But if you want something serious get a marantz rec. Some atoms DeathTech or B&W speakers maybe a Panasonic 4k ... You know what I'm not even going there ... To much ..

IDK why people still think Vizio is a horrible brand they done really stepped up their game and they are an American company. I used to be a sony, Samsung person for TVs paying $3k+ but after buying 2 Vizio P series I am very happy with my set.

The Vizio M is just a cheaper version of the P but is definitely worth the money if you are not a hardcore home theater person.

I have dolby atmos and 9.2 all that and after investing in all that I would say its overkill just get a decent 5.2.2 and call it a day. Marazntz is too hardcore and too expensive if you don't have a dedicated room for home theater. You don't have to spend almost 10k on a home theater system to get a good picture and sound. Has nothing to do with budget

most people in here are streaming Netflix and haven't even bought a 4k BR or even know what a K8500 is. I have maybe 30+ 4k BR now.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-resolution/4k-ultra-hd-uhd/best

Last edited:
IDK why people still think Vizio is a horrible brand they done really stepped up their game and they are an American company. I used to be a sony, Samsung person for TVs paying $3k+ but after buying 2 Vizio P series I am very happy with my set.

The Vizio M is just a cheaper version of the P but is definitely worth the money if you are not a hardcore home theater person.

I have dolby atmos and 9.2 all that and after investing in all that I would say its overkill just get a decent 5.2.2 and call it a day. Marazntz is too hardcore and too expensive if you don't have a dedicated room for home theater. You don't have to spend almost 10k on a home theater system to get a good picture and sound. Has nothing to do with budget
If you put that M series with a TV same specs you will see why I don't take Vizio series ... They aren't up to par with any other brand and their specs IMHO and observation are exaggerated and don't translate in the picture quality.

In regards to sound system ... It's not overkill of you want a top of the line listening experience ... But again of you can careless about hearing each instrument Crystal clear sound of the next possible audio .. Cheap out and get a cheap sound bar .. You'll very the booms and bangs and hear everything loud ...

But to say 9.2 THX which doesn't even certified much anymore is overkill? Well you just don't want the best possible experience and some people do ...

Last edited:
Just a quick question. Does the curve really make a difference or is it a gimmick?

If you put that M series with a TV same specs you will see why I don't take Vizio series ... They aren't up to par with any other brand and their specs IMHO and observation are exaggerated and don't translate in the picture quality.

In regards to sound system ... It's not overkill of you want a top of the line listening experience ... But again of you can careless about hearing each instrument Crystal clear sound of the next possible audio .. Cheap out and get a cheap sound bar .. You'll very the booms and bangs and hear everything loud ...

But to say 9.2 THX which doesn't even certified much anymore is overkill? Well you just don't want the best possible experience and some people do ...

That is your opinion what are you comparing the Vizio M to? Have you seen the TV outside of a store in a someone's house that had it properly calibrated?

It is overkill if you don't have the dedicated space for a 9.2, 7.2, ceiling height for atmos. Most people living in apartments or don't have a dedicated room large enough to get the full benefit of a Marantz just get Pioneer or Yamaha and save the money for some good speakers.

Just a quick question. Does the curve really make a difference or is it a gimmick?

gimmick not necessary unless you don't want anyone watching the tv from the side. You have to sit directly center with the tv to get the best effect of a curve tv

Last edited:
I was looking at the KS8000 but the only thing that turned me off was the lack of Dolby Vision support. The Vizio M-Series was the best bang for my buck and I'm not a hardcore A/V person so it's all good. :lol:

That is your opinion what are you comparing the Vizio M to? Have you seen the TV outside of a store in a someone's house that had it properly calibrated?

It is overkill if you don't have the dedicated space for a 9.2, 7.2, ceiling height for atmos. Most people living in apartments or don't have a dedicated room large enough to get the full benefit of a Marantz just get Pioneer or Yamaha and save the money for some good speakers.
gimmick not necessary unless you don't want anyone watching the tv from the side. You have to sit directly center with the tv to get the best effect of a curve tv
let's be serious the M series suppose to compete with the ks9000 and 930D ... P series suppose to be compared to 940D and KS9800 ... They don't ....

Drop the M series to 850D KS8000 and still struggles ... So I say a fair comparison is a 700D and KS7000 and now the plain field narrows but from my comparison still last in many categories ...

The curve is a gimmick if you going anything under 65 .. Even at 65 you need to understand the advantages of the TV in order to get the benefits. IMAX is curve and you feel like you in the picture ... So it works just not 10 feet away with a 55" .. But it looks like LG dropped it and the only one doing it now is Samsung ...

By the way the system I built was for the dude that spent 5k on tv but no audio ...

For the regular dude just wanting to be in a budget .. Get a NT5 sound bar .. Practically giving them away ...

But if you want a good surround sound ... You need a 5.1 at bear minimum with a good receiver and speakers ...

Last edited:
I was looking at the KS8000 but the only thing that turned me off was the lack of Dolby Vision support. The Vizio M-Series was the best bang for my buck and I'm not a hardcore A/V person so it's all good. :lol:
nothing wrong with the TV ... It's less expensive and it serves its purpose .. But we are talking about higher end 4K tv's ... One major con for the vizio is the upscaling .. Not up to par ...

The 65" was sub $1K. You're probably closer to the actually cost than me because you've probably been following closer than me. I just know $700/800ish was thrown around in that thread and I'm too lazy to sift threw all of SD (maybe I'll check more thoroughly if someone is super interested), but just going through a few pages during the Black Friday/Christmas timeframe, the lowest 60" was $854 and the 65" was $939.  Anyway, the $700 pricing for the 65" could have been after someone received some type of Discover rebate/price match deal. Then again, I could be wrong entirely, too. I looked through a lot pages/threads around Christmas time ...
I stopped keeping track of the prices after Black Friday, saw how the prices dipped since Sept/Oct when I bought mine
sick.gif
, but dang that's a steal for the 65". Any lower than that I'm sure people factored in ebates/WOW points/credit card rebates etc, they tend to do that on SD. Anyways, if y'all can get in on the $1,079, I highly recommend the KS8000, 4K content is still scarce but it's still a very noticeable difference with standard HD content compared to other 1080p TVs I have. Also got a PS4 Pro to go with this, I've been playing COD Infinite Warfare and RE Biohazard and both are superb on this TV, very impressed with the quality and how smoothly the Smart TV functions run.

So if the 8000 can be finagled for 1000 do you think that would be the best possible deal from now till march?

let's be serious the M series suppose to compete with the ks9000 and 930D ... P series suppose to be compared to 940D and KS9800 ... They don't ....

Drop the M series to 850D KS8000 and still struggles ... So I say a fair comparison is a 700D and KS7000 and now the plain field narrows but from my comparison still last in many categories ...

The curve is a gimmick if you going anything under 65 .. Even at 65 you need to understand the advantages of the TV in order to get the benefits. IMAX is curve and you feel like you in the picture ... So it works just not 10 feet away with a 55" .. But it looks like LG dropped it and the only one doing it now is Samsung ...

By the way the system I built was for the dude that spent 5k on tv but no audio ...

For the regular dude just wanting to be in a budget .. Get a NT5 sound bar .. Practically giving them away ...

But if you want a good surround sound ... You need a 5.1 at bear minimum with a good receiver and speakers ...

are we talking about 2016 models or 2017 models? Because the 2017 P is not even out yet and the 2016 P competes well enough with the other 2016 models. Did you look at my link I posted? have a look at the chart at the bottom

also you are getting a TV with HDR and DV one of the only Tvs on the market that gives you both and for a less price is a trade off for a loss of a little picture quality the average user will not even notice. just like Milliseconds with gamers who want low input lag most people don't even know what MS is when it comes to Tvs and the P seriers is one of the best TVs for gaming.

nothing wrong with the TV ... It's less expensive and it serves its purpose .. But we are talking about higher end 4K tv's ... One major con for the vizio is the upscaling .. Not up to par ...

Left out the most important part. Poor upscaling of very low sources. If you are buying a $2k tv to watch SD or 720p and below you are doing it wrong.

When are TV deals supposed to start happening?   Anytime soon?  

Here's my situation: 

Have an old 47" Sony Bravia that is nearly a decade old, still running strong.   That is upstairs in our front living room of our house.   Also have a finished basement that is basically empty. 

I'm trying to figure out if I should buy a new TV for upstairs (since we hang out up there more, more traffic, if we have people over we're usually up there), or if I should look for a larger TV to make the finished basement more of a living room / hangout area. 

I have a large couch upstairs right now, that is actually a bit too big for the living room (its like 124" long or something like that and has a chaise attachment, when a 90-100" couch would look better up there).  I'd like to move that couch into the basement and get a new smaller couch for upstairs. 

So my dilemma is... do I buy a big TV (65"+) for downstairs and keep the old 47" upstairs, or do I buy a new TV for upstairs where it will be more visible?  I've also considered getting a projector setup for the basement, instead of a TV.   

When are TV deals supposed to start happening?   Anytime soon?  

Here's my situation: 

Have an old 47" Sony Bravia that is nearly a decade old, still running strong.   That is upstairs in our front living room of our house.   Also have a finished basement that is basically empty. 

I'm trying to figure out if I should buy a new TV for upstairs (since we hang out up there more, more traffic, if we have people over we're usually up there), or if I should look for a larger TV to make the finished basement more of a living room / hangout area. 

I have a large couch upstairs right now, that is actually a bit too big for the living room (its like 124" long or something like that and has a chaise attachment, when a 90-100" couch would look better up there).  I'd like to move that couch into the basement and get a new smaller couch for upstairs. 

So my dilemma is... do I buy a big TV (65"+) for downstairs and keep the old 47" upstairs, or do I buy a new TV for upstairs where it will be more visible?  I've also considered getting a projector setup for the basement, instead of a TV.   

I would do a projector in the basement and put the couch in the basement and upgrade the tv and get a new couch for the living room if budget allows

wish I had a basement

Last edited:
are we talking about 2016 models or 2017 models? Because the 2017 P is not even out yet and the 2016 P competes well enough with the other 2016 models. Did you look at my link I posted? have a look at the chart at the bottom

also you are getting a TV with HDR and DV one of the only Tvs on the market that gives you both and for a less price is a trade off for a loss of a little picture quality the average user will not even notice. just like Milliseconds with gamers who want low input lag most people don't even know what MS is when it comes to Tvs and the P seriers is one of the best TVs for gaming.
Left out the most important part. Poor upscaling of very low sources. If you are buying a $2k tv to watch SD or 720p and below you are doing it wrong.
what exactly are you showing me? I mean that link you posted said the same **** I said ... The P series can be compared to the KS8000 ... However the specs listed are those of 940 and such ... SMH ...But again the ks8000 still a better TV and I would put 300 hundreds more for it all day every day and twice in Sunday .... Why are you even talking about 2017 models? Those will be hitting shelves March time frame ..everything else you mentions is just the end state of P series of Vizio not in the same field as the top dogs.

And to finalize as we know 4k is zero when it comes to cable (exclude Direct TV) this of you are buying a TV to just use with your cable box ... You better make sure that you can see a difference when watching tv if not what's the point of buying a new tv? So yes upscaling is important .... But 4k is avail Netflix Amazon Prime YouTube etc ... Now all the gamers are doing 4K with HDR so again it's important ...

what exactly are you showing me? I mean that link you posted said the same **** I said ... The P series can be compared to the KS8000 ... However the specs listed are those of 940 and such ... SMH ...But again the ks8000 still a better TV and I would put 300 hundreds more for it all day every day and twice in Sunday .... Why are you even talking about 2017 models? Those will be hitting shelves March time frame ..everything else you mentions is just the end state of P series of Vizio not in the same field as the top dogs.

And to finalize as we know 4k is zero when it comes to cable (exclude Direct TV) this of you are buying a TV to just use with your cable box ... You better make sure that you can see a difference when watching tv if not what's the point of buying a new tv? So yes upscaling is important .... But 4k is avail Netflix Amazon Prime YouTube etc ... Now all the gamers are doing 4K with HDR so again it's important ...

you lost me.

this is what you said

"P series suppose to be compared to 940D and KS9800 ... They don't ...."

I thought those were 2017 models because Vizio does not make a TV in that category is why they don't compete with the 9800 or 940D the price difference new on a 9800 65 inch is 1k more than a 65 inch P but I would rather save the 1k and put that towards home theater.

Also you proved my point by saying you will take the KS8000 over a P which is true for you since you have a BIGGER budget than your regular TV watcher. Look how close the Vizio comes to your KS8000 and for less money. The Vizio may beat the KS8000 to other people who want DV or low input lag and want full array LED where the KS8000 doesn't. Its more about future proofing than picture quality.

But if you want to throw out there a KS9800 and "Top Dogs" how bout you look into Vizio Reference Series.

Last edited:
you lost me.

this is what you said

"P series suppose to be compared to 940D and KS9800 ... They don't ...."

I thought those were 2017 models because Vizio does not make a TV in that category is why they don't compete with the 9800 or 940D the price difference new on a 9800 65 inch is 1k more than a 65 inch P but I would rather save the 1k and put that towards home theater.

Also you proved my point by saying you will take the KS8000 over a P which is true for you since you have a BIGGER budget than your regular TV watcher. Look how close the Vizio comes to your KS8000 and for less money. The Vizio may beat the KS8000 to other people who want DV or low input lag and want full array LED where the KS8000 doesn't. Its more about future proofing than picture quality.

But if you want to throw out there a KS9800 and "Top Dogs" how bout you look into Vizio Reference Series.
bruh it be crazy for anyone to select a P series over a KS8000 and the price difference is a about 300 dollars .... COME ON NOW!

My next TV is a Z9 - I would of have consider the AE1 but the Z9 is still the flagship .....

Let me ask you a question man - have you really watch these TV's side by side same content? 

Continue talkig about Vizio, until they make a TV that back up their specs series people will continue to not take them series ....

PS I dont have a 8000 ...

bruh it be crazy for anyone to select a P series over a KS8000 and the price difference is a about 300 dollars .... COME ON NOW!

My next TV is a Z9 - I would of have consider the AE1 but the Z9 is still the flagship .....

Let me ask you a question man - have you really watch these TV's side by side same content? 

Continue talkig about Vizio, until they make a TV that back up their specs series people will continue to not take them series ....

PS I dont have a 8000 ...

I have had Samsung and sony TVs high end LED OLED. After buying a Vizio P series 2nd one now I don't see the need to spend 3k+ anymore on a TV not worth it. Especially when your company that comes over half of them cant tell the difference between a 1080p stream and a 4k stream and lets not talk about the 4k BR's

I want to see where you are reading this information about vizio not backing up their specs. Do you frequent the AVS forums? P series is one of the biggest thread of happy owners on that website there are also Vizio techs in the thread who support the members of that website with any firmware problems. Their customer support has been stellar.

Trust me I had the same view as you when Vizio first came out everybody thought they were low budget TVs because they were in Walmart. They have really stepped their game up and proved a point that you can have a stellar TV without having to empty the bank.

Until you own a Vizio which I guess you never will your opinion does not really matter on what you think of the brand unless you can show me some reviews showing them not backing up their specs.

but I'm not trying to argue with you but the view you have on Vizio is a old view of the company

I have had Samsung and sony TVs high end LED OLED. After buying a Vizio P series 2nd one now I don't see the need to spend 3k+ anymore on a TV not worth it. Especially when your company that comes over half of them cant tell the difference between a 1080p stream and a 4k stream and lets not talk about the 4k BR's

I want to see where you are reading this information about vizio not backing up their specs. Do you frequent the AVS forums? P series is one of the biggest thread of happy owners on that website there are also Vizio techs in the thread who support the members of that website with any firmware problems. Their customer support has been stellar.

Trust me I had the same view as you when Vizio first came out everybody thought they were low budget TVs because they were in Walmart. They have really stepped their game up and proved a point that you can have a stellar TV without having to empty the bank.

Until you own a Vizio which I guess you never will your opinion does not really matter on what you think of the brand unless you can show me some reviews showing them not backing up their specs.

but I'm not trying to argue with you but the view you have on Vizio is a old view of the company
You aren't arguing but you are saying my opinion doesn't matter.

LOL 

Vizio high end units aren't good as their rivals. Those are facts ... Their specs are godlike - put those sets next to similar specs and you'll see there's a big difference ....

You come here talking about reference series like you are blowing minds ..... took them a couple of years to come out after announcing and still have **** for viewing angles and the color accuracy is the worst ... but wait it gets bright as **** and it has dolby ... LMAO - give me a break ... 

I'm not saying Vizio is the worst TV set - hell you have 4K westinhouse, insignias, sharps heisen out there .... but they aren't in the Samsung LG Sony spectrum .... 

It's obvious you feel some type of way because I'm bashing Vizio - but the facts are - there are better TV's and before I would buy a M P Reference series I would actually look at other models.

**** out of here with this chromcast smart tablet feature .. LMAO

stop it dude ....

Last edited:
You aren't arguing but you are saying my opinion doesn't matter.

LOL 

Vizio high end units aren't good as their rivals. Those are facts ... Their specs are godlike - put those sets next to similar specs and you'll see there's a big difference ....

You come here talking about reference series like you are blowing minds ..... took them a couple of years to come out after announcing and still have **** for viewing angles and the color accuracy is the worst ... but wait it gets bright as **** and it has dolby ... LMAO - give me a break ... 

I'm not saying Vizio is the worst TV set - hell you have 4K westinhouse, insignias, sharps heisen out there .... but they aren't in the Samsung LG Sony spectrum .... 

It's obvious you feel some type of way because I'm bashing Vizio - but the facts are - there are better TV's and before I would buy a M P Reference series I would actually look at other models.

**** out of here with this chromcast smart tablet feature .. LMAO

stop it dude ....

Bruh i never said vizio was better than sony LG etc as i said they are as good as those sets for cheaper and your causal movie watcher wont see the differnece between the 2 when they take them home. Not everyone needs a 3k+ TV.

I threw the refernce series out there because you was comparing a 9800 to a p series so since you was making dumb comparisons i threw the reference series out there

And you bashing the brand never even owned a set and not backing up any of your facts!

If you aint casting or airplaying you are way behind the game its not a pointless feature i bet future sets will have some sort of casting feature standard on their sets.

Also your 3k+ sony lg etc better be way ahead of vizio based off price alone not lets talk about how long those brands been in the game compared to vizio and vizio tvs are catching them and cheaper.

Again unless you show me some facts its just your opinion. I have no brand loyalty or stock ive owned plenty of tvs in my life and giving a honest review

Arguing with someone who doesnt even own a k8000 or a vizio

What tv do u have?

Back
Top Bottom