Anyone Lose Some Interest in Certain Sports Over Time?

The NFL season is now underway and I've noticed that in the past few years my interest has faded some. Don't get me wrong, I'll still watch regularly, just not with the same level of enthusiasm that I used to have when I was younger.

I'm not exactly sure why, but I've come up with a few possible reasons:
  • Simply watching so much of it
  • Football has become oversaturated and feels stale to me from the amount of coverage, extending all throughout the offseason
  • Not to be a contrarian, but I miss the days when less of my peers followed the league and most that did were diehards, my Twitter feed didn't fill up with everyone making the same comments about a game, and I would go to class on Monday and wouldn't hear the forced opener "So who watched the ________ game?" from a teacher/professor 
    laugh.gif
  • My interest in the NBA has risen
  • I'm older and have less free time to watch games
Anyone else ever lose some interest in watching a sport? If so, which sport and why? Is it just less exciting when you're no longer a kid and have more years of following it under your belt?

Well, were you ever a fan of a team? it sounds like you weren't.

Because I find it hard to believe a fan of a team doesn't have free time to watch their one weekly game.

Not having a team is probably the reason you're losing interest.

Last edited:

Because I find it hard to believe a fan of a team doesn't have free time to watch their one weekly game.
I've been a Broncos fan since day one and I'll still watch all their games like I always have. I'll just be cutting down on watching other games this season.

Last edited:

I've been a Broncos fan since day one and I'll still watch all their games. I'll just be cutting down on watching other games more this season.

Do that.

I find it's best when I just focus on my team. TBH I don't watch NFL Network or ESPN for anything other than highlights. It's way too much coverage about the same damn teams over and over. They're basically the E! channel for sports.

Last edited:
College Basketball..

No longer really interests me aside from Duke until March Madness..

Used to swear by it and thought it was better than the NBA :lol:

I'm not really into football like I used to. Used to be my favorite sport but the whole concussion/CTE thing plus Roger Goodell has really curbed my interest in it.

Last edited:
College Basketball..

No longer really interests me aside from Duke until March Madness..

Used to swear by it and thought it was better than the NBA
laugh.gif
This. I use to keep up with recruits and the whole 9. I don't know half these kids coming out these days and majority of them except for a couple dont really remind me of past greats that were just entertaining to tune in to on a Big Tuesday or whatever. Jabari was dope tho. None of last year cats made me say WOO. Wiggins was even subpar and I think he going to be a star but IDK It just don't feel the same.

Football

Probably had something to do with how obsessed people have gotten about football. Radio sports shows spend 90% of the show talking about every possible football related topic, back when I watched ESPN anything dealing with football took center stage, anything deal with an NFL player is front page news.  

When i moved to the eastcoast, I began watching less and less NBA games on the weekdays (tnt/espn.)

My move also coincided with a full time job too...just can be up all night watchin games.

With Sunday night football games ending at 1130 or whatever, if its a game i wanna watch, ill take the monday off. I need my sleep...tho i dont get any.

I loved Baseball and Hockey in the 90's.

I don't give a damn about Hockey now , but the Cubs are bringing me back to baseball slowly

NFL due to the fans and the changes to the game

All in all less with all sports due to family life but NFL dropped way down

Last edited:
NFL and MLB for me.

I've found a lot of it has to do with the older I get the less time I have and the time I do have for sports is gonna go to the ones I care about the most.

MLB because the season is just so long to the point where i'm not really interested until the playoffs. Also if you're a Braves fan like me it can really just tear you down knowing the seasons over in July 
laugh.gif
mean.gif

I'm also a big fan of soccer and one of my favorite things about the sport is that matches are usually like 2 hours of my day and no commercials. Also most are on in the morning at times that just so happen to work with my schedule right now for the most part. NFL games are constantly being stopped and the constant commercial breaks drive me insane but thats just a pet peeve 
laugh.gif

The most important thing is one game takes up the whole afternoon so nothing else is getting done until the Falcons are off and I don't have time anymore to stay up watching primetime games that much anymore.

All in all I don't think i'll ever stop watching the sport if anything i''ll just only watch the Falcons as I get older. Now I get what my pops meant when I used to ask him why he only watches the Falcons when I was coming up, it makes so much sense now because he would just say thats all he has time for, I get it now.

Last edited:
MLB and to an extent NFL.

I think it's mostly because I can easily follow basketball like 10 months out of the year now. I don't watch or follow sports any less, it's just become more specialized for me.

Hate 95% of NFL fans and hate watching games cause of all the damn commercials. All I do now is follow some players here and there. They've always had them, but I've gotten increasingly tired of them over the years. I'd rather watch CFB even though my team is trash (Cal)

Last edited:
College basketball and MLB mostly. Don't find myself caring about either at all outside of playoffs/March Madness.

Grown to love NFL and CFB even more over the last 5 or so years. Took off the homer/fan goggles and watch 2-4 games at a time thanks to Sunday Ticket. Same goes for CFB thanks to the different specialized networks.

MLB and that's probably because of all the steroid use

Got me sitting on my couch wondering which player will be caught next :lol:

College basketball and MLB mostly. Don't find myself caring about either at all outside of playoffs/March Madness.

Grown to love NFL and CFB even more over the last 5 or so years. Took off the homer/fan goggles and watch 2-4 games at a time thanks to Sunday Ticket. Same goes for CFB thanks to the different specialized networks.

You don't like baseball, stop it.

MLB for me. still like it, but more so because the NHL and NFL have just taken over completely...even in the offseasons. i'll watch games even when my team isn't playing with hockey and football...almost never do that with baseball now.

Last edited:

You don't like baseball, stop it.

You don't know me.

Back
Top Bottom