Ask a former NIKE Basketball employee...

AKA.. you misread my response.... 

I said other than Jordan Brand no other brands have as many shoes in the top spots other than Nike... there are more Nike than any other brand save for Jordan.

We all know pairs sold are not the only mitigating circumstances for stock price drop or rise.  Also Kobe WAS the leading kicks seller for Nike at one point.. but things change.... do you think someone else outside of Nike or Jordan is ripe for the takeover?

That's just...not...true.

When the quarterly sales reports are released, it shows that Jordan Brand occupies the top spots, not that of Nike Basketball. Perhaps one colorway of LeBron's shoe cracks the top ten, depending on the quarter, but the rest are JB with the Retro's leading the way.

If Nike Basketball were doing what you claim they are, then this would be inaccurate ....

Nike (NYSE: NKE) fell sharply Friday after the company reported fourth-quarter EPS of $1.17 per share, well short of analysts' estimates for $1.37. Earnings were pinched by tighter margins caused by rising raw materials costs, and lowing demand in international markets.

http://www.marketintelligencecenter.com/newsbites/1361033

The lowing demand in international markets is an interesting note. Apparently, Kobe was supposed to be the big boy over in Asia, right?

Something's not going right.

If it were, Nike would not have condensed their portfolio.

Nothing you said speaks specifically to Nike basketball. If you want to argue that Nike as a whole is on the decline then what you posted about their most recent earnings reports would be true, but the fact remains that Nike has a 95% market share in basketball shoes which is, to put it lightly, ridiculous. Divesting of Cole Haan and Umbro (neither of whom produced basketball shoes I believe) speaks to the rising material costs, but as we've seen with the constantly rising price of Nike's basketball shoes (and I'm including JB in this statement) that Nike has been pretty good about passing their rising costs on to the consumer without a dip in basketball shoe/retro sales.

You can definitively make the argument that Nike is lowering quality and using gimmicks instead of actual innovation, but to say that they're irrelevant in the marketplace is just a false statement.

As far as:

"Nike Basketball is still putting the swooshes on Bryant's, LeBron's, and Durants shoe, know why? They need the visibility in order to get noticed. They know it, I know it, and all of you know it."

Well, yes I agree. But isn't that just saying "Nike brands its products like every other company, and are not trying to turn every signature athlete into a subsidiary." You posted the quote about Nike taking the enormous risk of essentially rebuilding its business around Jordan, and now they're no longer in a position where they have to do that with a Lebron, Kobe, etc. so it makes sense that they would rather maintain and increase their brand.

Longstroke,

Why don't you bust out the article/facts/figures/spreadsheats that actually break down the top 10 basketball shoes sold worldwide for us from last month or even the past 3. Then also break down how many units of each were produced. Then compare units sold to units produced and let me know how that shakes out. I would guess, though I may be entirely wrong that there are probably more jordan retros pumped out ( more frequently ) than certain player sigs. If in fact JB actually sells more with less units produced then maybe you have something. Otherwise, I am not sure what your most recent link proves exactly? Expectations were not met? Should we start digging up each and every competitor of Nike's who has failed to meet quarterly, or yearly expectations?

My point is this, of course you can point to failure- anyone can do that- you can also choose to ignore success. YOU seem to ZERO in on failures, shortcomings, and inadequacies. God forbid someone analyze you and the way you go about your daily routine- I am sure its near flawless- Heck- you probably run a fortune 500 company yourself which explains why you have so much time on your hands to point out someone else's shortcomings. You have succeeded dude. Thanks a million for pointing out many of Nike's shortcomings. You haven't really altered many people's perception in the process. I am certain very few people idolize or put Nike on a pedestal to the degree that you seem to detest it. It's almost as if you seem to think you have uncovered some kind of buried treasure in pointing out shortcomings. We all get it- they exist- perhaps too numerous to count. Who cares. You don't think the same can be said for the car company that makes the car you drive, the computer manufacturer that makes your computer you use, the home builder that built your house you live in, the dairy farm you got your milk from and drank this morning?? I could go on, but for the most part, Its probably falling on your deaf ears- you have your beef- you have your bone to pick- whatever- more power to you...but honestly man, don't try to throw out links and articles and pretend you have uncovered some sort of sacred truth or key to understanding that the "rest of us" are blind to. The biggest thing I take issue with in your posts isn't that you don't support, like, or have anything positive to say about Nike- its the way you go about like the rest of us are all sheep and you are some kind of enlightened shepherd- its kinda old, I think I speak for many, if not all, but seriously, what's it gonna take to make you happy bro? you need a hug or something?

Oh, and lastly, great detective work on my wife once working for Nike- it was for like 6 months, and honestly, she is so far removed, detached, and indifferent to it, that I honestly think someone catering a lunch on campus for the first time in their life may have more invested in the company. So, that might remove the "conspiracy theory" mentality from your backtracking ways. Oh yes, and I too have never been employed, affiliated, or in any way shape or form worked with or for Nike or any other shoe manufacturer known to man.

Nothing you said speaks specifically to Nike basketball. If you want to argue that Nike as a whole is on the decline then what you posted about their most recent earnings reports would be true, but the fact remains that Nike has a 95% market share in basketball shoes which is, to put it lightly, ridiculous. Divesting of Cole Haan and Umbro (neither of whom produced basketball shoes I believe) speaks to the rising material costs, but as we've seen with the constantly rising price of Nike's basketball shoes (and I'm including JB in this statement) that Nike has been pretty good about passing their rising costs on to the consumer without a dip in basketball shoe/retro sales.
You can definitively make the argument that Nike is lowering quality and using gimmicks instead of actual innovation, but to say that they're irrelevant in the marketplace is just a false statement.
As far as:
"Nike Basketball is still putting the swooshes on Bryant's, LeBron's, and Durants shoe, know why? They need the visibility in order to get noticed. They know it, I know it, and all of you know it."
Well, yes I agree. But isn't that just saying "Nike brands its products like every other company, and are not trying to turn every signature athlete into a subsidiary." You posted the quote about Nike taking the enormous risk of essentially rebuilding its business around Jordan, and now they're no longer in a position where they have to do that with a Lebron, Kobe, etc. so it makes sense that they would rather maintain and increase their brand.
Oh yes it does. Nike basketball isn't pulling its weight, and Nike as a whole is on decline due to that fact. As you stated, that's pretty clear with the increase of pricing of their Basketball footwear, even Durant's shoe is over one hundred dollars now.

Yes, Nike has a ninety five percent market share, but that marketshare is owned by Jordan Brand, a subsidary of Nike inc.

No JB, no 95%.

This is why I say that Nike Basketball is irrelevant.

Jordan Retro's are the problem. In the music business it is said that once an artist makes a greatest hits collection, that the career of the artist is dead, finished, kaput. Also, I don't think that there is coincidence that on sites like this, you'll see random names suggesting, oh, Jordan retro's are not to be played in.

But nobody seems to be really crazy about the new stuff that Nike Basketball is putting out, outside of the limited release, which really does not make a dent in overall sales.

I've listened to sales people at the House Of Hoops say that the only time they get busy, is either when there is a limited release, or a Jordan release.

Also, Nike gear, the clothing, isn't really that popular anymore either. My generation, thirty and up, seem to gravitate toward the newer brands such as Under Armour, Lululemon Athletica and the like. I don't like wearing Nike clothing, as it's kinda passe...as most clothing trends do become.

But hey we will see what happens in the future, right? If Nike releases more Jordan XI's, XII's, and III's, the big sellers next year, we will then know what they are actually trying to do, and that is to save the company, then satisfy the shareholders.

Last edited:
Im sorta lost now my man.

You are saying the only reason Nike is releasing XI's and popular Retros is to save an entire company?  If their market share is 95% and they've been on such a steady decline and the only thing keeping it viable is Jordan... who is buying all the product? Surely you cant think it ALL goes to TJ Maxx.

Clothes and trends aside.. I think that takes the convo into a different direction...but you are losing me by saying Nike Basketball is irrelevant, you lose alot of credibility in that alone.

Nike Basketball while having bad years and gross revenue being lower than NSW for a number of years has made a steady increase the last five years.  When you say no one is 'really' playing in Nikes what are you basing that on?  In my line of work, damn near 95% of the schools wear Nike and all aren't sponsored by Nike... 

If you look at D-2 and D-3 Colleges that are and aren't sponsored the majority.. NOT ALL but the VAST majority wear Nike. From AAU to Camps... kids WANT to wear that Swoosh.  You cant tell me any differently from the DC area, to the Atlanta area, to Texas and Chicago its majority Nike AND its not limited releases. 

I think common and popular sentiment is Jordan retro just like NSW retro is not for performance... but to discount NSW as a high performer in the footwear market is crazy.   Jordan retro is essentially Jordan Sportswear aka NON Performance wear. They are SUPPOSED to sell what sells. BUT to say if they release popular releases it proves they are trying to save the company?

Nah.. they are simply trying to meet expectations set by Phil, Mark and a few other old white guys sitting in those executive meetings.  Everyone wants to meet goals and if thats selling what you know you can go to the well on... maaan I'd do it once a quarter. Why do anything else.

When you can run 28 Sweep Off Tackle and get 30 yards a clip, or drive down the middle of the lane everytime down the court... Why stop it if it works right?

Thats called a lesson learned my man. We all do it after major projects in corporate business or small mom and pop start ups.  

BUT... that doesn't mean Nike Basketball isn't relevant. I wouldn't remove the swoosh from any other Signature either...its my brand. Its what I created. They created something great with Jordan and that jumpman. 

You look at top sales and other than Jordans...Nikes are leading in a basketball kicks moreso than MANY other brands.  You cant deny sales.
Yep.

From Matt Powell's monthly report:

Top selling styles for August: Jordan 4 Fire Red, Nike Air Force 1 white low, Jordan 6&7 Golden Moments pack, Nike Free Run + 3, Nike Free Flex Run, Comfort 2 slide, Jordan Son of Mars and Nike Air Monarch IV.  Nike and Jordan had 23 of the top 25 selling styles for August.

So it's not only JB that's selling.  Also from the report:

Basketball continued its strong 2012, with sales up more than 30%. Jordan Basketball grew 25% and had 67% share.  Nike Basketball grew by more than half and share hit 28%.  Adidas has 3% share in Basketball and sales grew in the mid-teens.

Last edited:
Im sorta lost now my man.

Clothes and trends aside.. I think that takes the convo into a different direction...but you are losing me by saying Nike Basketball is irrelevant, you lose alot of credibility in that alone.
Oh yeah, you might not wanna go there....
laugh.gif

Top selling styles for August: Jordan 4 Fire Red, Nike Air Force 1 white low, Jordan 6&7 Golden Moments pack, Nike Free Run + 3, Nike Free Flex Run, Comfort 2 slide, Jordan Son of Mars and Nike Air Monarch IV.  Nike and Jordan had 23 of the top 25 selling styles for August.

So it's not only JB that's selling.  Also from the report:

Basketball continued its strong 2012, with sales up more than 30%. Jordan Basketball grew 25% and had 67% share.  Nike Basketball grew by more than half and share hit 28%.  Adidas has 3% share in Basketball and sales grew in the mid-teens.
So tell me, which one of those shoes that are mentioned, are from Nike Basketball? I see no Kobe, No Durant, No Hyperdunk, no LeBrons. So are you now moving the goal posts, then attempting to include all of Nike, then suggesting Nike basketball? When they say Basketball sales up more than 30%, how much you wanna bet that they are including Jordan Brand in those numbers?

Nike doesn't readily release their info, they release what they want people to know.
That case is rested.
Thanks sir. That was my only point.
If you think so. But that's okay.

Last edited:
^^did any Lebrons or Kobes release in August though?  I know that they have been on the list during other months.

I been looking for the answer for this hopefully you can send me in the right direction.

There is some retailers that make their customers purchase extra accessories/clothing in order to get the shoe they are trying to buy.

This is done mostly for limited releases.

For example the GMP shoe palace had everyone purchasing a pack buy an additional $50 of apparel in order to get there pair..

Can they do this?

Last edited:
The whole Olympic deal was released.

Kobe's shoes are never on that list. LeBron's, yeah, usually the initial release of his new sig. But Kobe's shoes do not do as well in the U.S.

Asia was his thing, but from the reports, that seems to be changing.

Last edited:
Most Olympic shoes were released in July....

KD IV USA was released on 7/28.  Lebron 9 Low USA and Kobe 7 USA were released on June 16th...

Most Olympic shoes were released in July....

KD IV USA was released on 7/28.  Lebron 9 Low USA and Kobe 7 USA were released on June 16th...
..and how they sold would not show up until August, and none are on that list.

However, the Monarch are there, and they have been around forever.

Last edited:
Im still not sure where my credibility is ever challenged even when the bro who said his friends said I never worked there but my information couldnt be challenged. 

Dont go taking me saying by making that statement will lose all your credibility personally but even when facts are pitched bruh you have something else to oppose it.

"Nike only releases what people want them to know"

Nike releases no #s on how many produced... but there are official trackers of whats sold sir. You can say what Kobe's Lebrons and such are listed in the top ten but what Adi Reeboks or otheyrwise are listed there?

Who ranks higher in the top 100 in shoes?  Nike Reebok Adi or Blank?

I mean at some point where do you give ANY credit?  THIS is where I say you lose credibility. Sometimes my radio partner is right... its rare but it happens.  IF I dont acknowledge it, I lose credibility as a media person on TV and Radio. I this forum where its open discussion even though its been derailed quite a bit there is no scenario in which Adi or Reebok is on top of Nike OR Jordan. Sales, Marketing or what have you .... in BASKETBALL.

Yet you say its because Nike affords consumers more on sheer volume.  Consumers have options just like folks who fly... and while you have many options out there ESPECIALLY with one brand.. Im sure Adi Reebok and the like appreciate those who choose to shop with them.

When will you acknowledge the valid points given by many and facts stated (that arent opinion).

One thing politicians do is state fact as opinion and it never works in the end. I admit alot when it comes to Nikes failures... when will you admit to any of Nikes successes WITHOUT a negative spin?

LONGSTROKE, aka the Skip Bayless of NikeTalk, uses partial statistics to support his argument without looking at all the facts. I play a lot of basketball, and ask literally anyone in the gym and they will say they hoop in Nike's. To say Nike Basketball is irrelevant makes absolutely no sense to me.

In business.... the market place or on the streets and gyms of America....

PS.

Nike knows Kobe's time is coming to an end my man and the conversation now is already do they continue his line after retirement or stop it and go retro plus... 

Nike will "survive" as you put it on the Lebron retro line for YEARS after his retirement.

Muz... I have no idea on the new rules my man... I dont keep up with stuff like that..

Note on the Monarch:

The Monarch has sold over a JILLION kicks like Mickey D's and are ALWAYS on sale.. ALWAYS... they will be around forever.

The OG Monarch Designer?  Jason Mayden formerly of Jordan Brand....

Muz... I have no idea on the new rules my man... I dont keep up with stuff like that..

Note on the Monarch:

The Monarch has sold over a JILLION kicks like Mickey D's and are ALWAYS on sale.. ALWAYS... they will be around forever.

The OG Monarch Designer?  Jason Mayden formerly of Jordan Brand....
So the Monarch has sold more than the AF1?

Im still not sure where my credibility is ever challenged even when the bro who said his friends said I never worked there but my information couldnt be challenged. 

Dont go taking me saying by making that statement will lose all your credibility personally but even when facts are pitched bruh you have something else to oppose it.

When will you acknowledge the valid points given by many and facts stated (that arent opinion).

One thing politicians do is state fact as opinion and it never works in the end. I admit alot when it comes to Nikes failures... when will you admit to any of Nikes successes WITHOUT a negative spin?
One of the problems with this discussion is that many of the points that you claim to be valid, are actually opinions on why I am saying, what it is that I am saying. Many are not even addressing what it is that I am saying, all they are doing, is whining about my position, instead of dealing with the facts that I present. So if I say, Jordan owns 67 percent of the basketball market, with Nike basketball not really being relevant, you get comment like this below....
LONGSTROKE, aka the Skip Bayless of NikeTalk, uses partial statistics to support his argument without looking at all the facts. I play a lot of basketball, and ask literally anyone in the gym and they will say they hoop in Nike's. To say Nike Basketball is irrelevant makes absolutely no sense to me.
...this is an argument from ignorance. This person above can't use actual scientific information in order to support his claims, so he has to use anecdotal evidence, where he plays basketball.

I am talking about marketshares, and he is talking about his gym.

So in regard to giving Nike props, well there was a time when I gave Nike the first look when I was looking for kicks to hoop in. I don't necessarily wear sneakers everyday, mostly to the gym to work out, then play ball, so I am not that guy who worries about what looks good with my jeans.

Nike is no longer that company for me. They make poor quality shoes, and they stoop to conquer with their fan base, thus not deserving of any props, credit, from me.

One of the problems with this discussion is that many of the points that you claim to be valid, are actually opinions on why I am saying, what it is that I am saying. Many are not even addressing what it is that I am saying, all they are doing, is whining about my position, instead of dealing with the facts that I present. So if I say, Jordan owns 67 percent of the basketball market, with Nike basketball not really being relevant, you get comment like this below....

...this is an argument from ignorance. This person above can't use actual scientific information in order to support his claims, so he has to use anecdotal evidence, where he plays basketball.

I am talking about marketshares, and he is talking about his gym.

So in regard to giving Nike props, well there was a time when I gave Nike the first look when I was looking for kicks to hoop in. I don't necessarily wear sneakers everyday, mostly to the gym to work out, then play ball, so I am not that guy who worries about what looks good with my jeans.

Nike is no longer that company for me. They make poor quality shoes, and they stoop to conquer with their fan base, thus not deserving of any props, credit, from me.

Oh the irony... everyone else is whining and ignorant and then there is you. Major difference between you and just about everyone else on this thread, is that no one else makes such sweeping generalizations like THEY MAKE POOR QUALITY SHOES and they don't deserve any props/credit from me. I haven't seen anyone post anything like, "Nike quality rocks and is perfection. I love everything they make. They could throw a swoosh on a bag of poop and I would buy it!" There are so many holes in your "argument/position" it would take months to refute and negate half of it. Not worth it. Most of what you do in this thread is whining. You don't like it, that's fine. Take your "ball" and go hang out in your glass house and play by yourself. You have made some valid points, but as many have pointed out, you lose any semblance of an audience or people's attention when you start to make such broad and sweeping generalizations and try to pass it off as fact or "scientifically backed evidence" What is that exactly anyways when we are talking about shoes?? This isn't a medical issue, disease, or serious problem we are talking about. Maybe you ought to get things in perspective a bit and stop acting like such a....

Originally Posted by LONGSTROKE

One of the problems with this discussion is that many of the points that you claim to be valid, are actually opinions on why I am saying, what it is that I am saying. Many are not even addressing what it is that I am saying, all they are doing, is whining about my position, instead of dealing with the facts that I present. So if I say, Jordan owns 67 percent of the basketball market, with Nike basketball not really being relevant, you get comments like this below....
Me personally I am pretty well done with this thread.
Oh the irony... everyone else is whining and ignorant and then there is you. Major difference between you and just about everyone else on this thread, is that no one else makes such sweeping generalizations like THEY MAKE POOR QUALITY SHOES and they don't deserve any props/credit from me. I haven't seen anyone post anything like, "Nike quality rocks and is perfection. I love everything they make. They could throw a swoosh on a bag of poop and I would buy it!" There are so many holes in your "argument/position" it would take months to refute and negate half of it. Not worth it. Most of what you do in this thread is whining. You don't like it, that's fine. Take your "ball" and go hang out in your glass house and play by yourself. You have made some valid points, but as many have pointed out, you lose any semblance of an audience or people's attention when you start to make such broad and sweeping generalizations and try to pass it off as fact or "scientifically backed evidence" What is that exactly anyways when we are talking about shoes?? This isn't a medical issue, disease, or serious problem we are talking about. Maybe you ought to get things in perspective a bit and stop acting like such a....
Originally Posted by LONGSTROKE

...this is an argument from ignorance
Me personally I am pretty well done with this thread.
Such a pathetic exposition.

Last edited:
I been looking for the answer for this hopefully you can send me in the right direction.
There is some retailers that make their customers purchase extra accessories/clothing in order to get the shoe they are trying to buy.
This is done mostly for limited releases.
For example the GMP shoe palace had everyone purchasing a pack buy an additional $50 of apparel in order to get there pair..
Can they do this?

Hey bro, smaller vendors do the kind of crap you mentioned as it's sometimes the only way to recuperate costs on merchandise that will inevitably be marked down. You could complain to their head office, but chances are that the mandate for 'add-on' buys actually came from up top.

As a Niketalk member since 2000 and an enthusiast of the Brand since 1988, I was recently offered a Part time Job w/ Nike. I will be continuing to work my regular full time Job and take my infant steps in Nike a this new part time job. I look forward to it.

Good Luck,,,

As for retailers mainly mom and pop and even some urban retailers making you purchase clothing to get the kicks...I know this was a practice of Jordans for a long time...and salesmen said if you want the shoes you gotta buy the clothes....

In the beginning retailers went with it wanting the exclusives, and soon realized some of the clothes were so over priced and just not well designed to sell, they were stuck with inventory they couldn't discount enough to even move off the floor in some cases.

Taking a lose would have been an understandment.....so some got smart and started doing the same to their customers. Sad I say... but you do what you gotta do.

Back
Top Bottom