BREAKING: CLIFF LEE traded to the TEXAS RANGERS

Originally Posted by iLLoQuent aka DSK

This is unnecessary.

Our top rated prospect and others for a guy who is most likely coming here after the season anyway. Don't get me wrong...any team would love to have a pitcher like Lee and we're immediately better after picking him up. But do we NEED to do this? Our pitching staff is more than fine...why give up a big part of our future for?
ohwell.gif

Makes even less sense considering Montero is a catcher and it's only a matter of time before Posada needs to DH full time.

EDIT: There's no chance in hell Hughes is getting moved to the bullpen. Don't throw out speculation as fact.
I agree.

What should be considered, though, is picking up Lee now prevents him from being traded to another team that could hurt us in the playoffs.  It obviously makes us better right now, but prevents another team from getting better in the process.

As a Phillies fan, this makes me sick
sick.gif
laugh.gif

Cant hate tho, Cliff is a monster on the mound.
Plus if the Phils some how get their #!@% together and make a playoff run to the series against the Yankees, #!@% would be so epic
eek.gif

that's good news for the Yankees even though we (Yankees) don't need him...

But I thought you were too nice of person for Niketalk.....

This is unnecessary.

Our top rated prospect and others for a guy who is most likely coming here after the season anyway. Don't get me wrong...any team would love to have a pitcher like Lee and we're immediately better after picking him up. But do we NEED to do this? Our pitching staff is more than fine...why give up a big part of our future for?
ohwell.gif

Makes even less sense considering Montero is a catcher and it's only a matter of time before Posada needs to DH full time.

EDIT: There's no chance in hell Hughes is getting moved to the bullpen. Don't throw out speculation as fact.

Agreed.

Why do this now, when we have a good shot at getting him in free agency in the offseason?

If this goes through, we better sign Lee long term.

Originally Posted by toine2983

This is unnecessary.

ohwell.gif

Agreed.

Why do this now, when we have a good shot at getting him in free agency in the offseason?

If this goes through, we better sign Lee long term.

Javier Vazquez is on the trading block, and he's a free agent next season, so I'm guessing its a win win situation since they're both free agents.

Honestly this is a bad move for the Yankees. It doesn't make sense, but it is 100% a preventative move. The Rays are ready to give up Upton for him and I'm sure other teams want him too IE- Mets, Twins etc.

I don't like giving up Montero now, + getting rid of Austin Jackson our best prospects seem to be getting shipped out left and right. Does it makes the Yankees better of course, and Cliff and CC back-to-back in the playoffs is hell for the competition.

If we can somehow ship Vasquez to Philly for Werth I would like this more.

Anyway...Yankees > your fav team.

Montero, Adams and McCallister? Mariners coming out like Bandits but 28 is all but guaranteed now

SMH. i would much rather see him go to the twins. the royals have no business winning the central this year and i would like to see the twins give up some of their future prospects to win right now. gives us a better chance in 2012.

the 3 rumored players in the deal

C/1b Jesus Montero

2b David Adams

SP Zack McAllister

Well after reading this...
It isn't easy to win a Cy Young when you win zero games in April. In fact, only two starting pitchers (Halladay in 2003 and Mike McCormick in 1967) have ever done it. But if Lee can manage to finish this season in the same league he started it in, he's right on track to join that club. His season didn't even start until April 30. And he didn't win a game until May 11. But once he got rolling, he's been ridiculous. He leads his league in ERA (2.34), WHIP (0.95), complete games (five), quality-start percentage (85.0), opponent on-base percentage (.240), opponent OPS (.572) and most starts of eight innings or more (nine of 13). He's beaten five first-place teams (Yankees, Tigers, Rangers, Padres, Reds), plus the Angels. And then there's that strikeout-walk ratio, currently resting at an incomprehensible 89-to-6. Dontrelle Willis had two starts this year in which he spewed out six walks in a span of 12 hitters. Meanwhile, Lee has walked six all season (while facing 408 hitters). That 14.83 K/BB ratio wouldn't be just the greatest in history if he keeps it up. It would be almost four whiffs better than the next-best ratio (Bret Saberhagen's 11.00 in 1994). Amazing. Gee, somebody ought to trade for this guy.

Cashman is an idiot for giving up Montero. Kid is a stud.

Still rather have Cashman than the crooks that run the Marlins, though.

wow...

a) eff you, seattle
b) tbone is back? damn i been slacking on the baseball threads

It's hard to say "you're not excited about Lee", especially since we could just sign him in the offseason without giving up prospects, but it's a great preventative move to block other teams getting better in addition to making our rotation that much better.

No hesitation by the Yankees after seeing what Austin Jackson (and to a lesser degree, Ian Kennedy and Phil Coke) have done?

Back
Top Bottom