Computer Science / Engineering Thread!!

I'm currently at a community college, majoring in Computer Science, and I'm close to transferring. Everyday, I get more and more scared as I get ready to leave, seeing as how I'm struggling with all this Calculus, and have to look forward to three physics for engineers classes in the upcoming semesters. I also have very little programming experience, which makes things worse.

That's just my experience with C.S so far. But I believe there should have a thread that can discuss a multitude of things related to C.S & Engineering:

1. Giving advice to those currently in school or having thoughts about majoring in one of these fields.

2. Giving any kind of assistance to those who need it.

3. Educating people about what Computer Science and Engineering is.

4. Talk about what you do, how you've gotten there, all of that.

5. Talking about technology in general.

6. Discuss the ways engineers / computer science helps the world.

7. Discuss problems  and future problems that needs to be addressed, and the role we play in them.

Anything can be discussed. I know that there has to be a decent number of folks on here who have degrees, jobs, and careers out of these fields.

That's just my experience with C.S so far. But I believe there should have a thread that can discuss a multitude of things related to C.S & Engineering:

1. Giving advice to those currently in school or having thoughts about majoring in one of these fields.
2. Giving any kind of assistance to those who need it.
3. Educating people about what Computer Science and Engineering is.
4. Talk about what you do, how you've gotten there, all of that.
5. Talking about technology in general.
6. Discuss the ways engineers / computer science helps the world.
7. Discuss problems  and future problems that needs to be addressed, and the role we play in them.

Anything can be discussed. I know that there has to be a decent number of folks on here who have degrees, jobs, and careers out of these fields.

this is probably the most trifling thing I've read on NT all week. trying to get NT to write your writing course GEC assignment for you.

i see you pleighboi

I use to think I couldn't take the more advanced classes either...

Remember the only limitations you have are those that you place upon yourself. Your thoughts are your reality b.

Comp Sci too.

Remember the only limitations you have are those that you place upon yourself. Your thoughts are your reality b.

Comp Sci too.
It's not that I don't think I can take them. It's just that I never had any experience with calculus in H.S, and never took any Physics at all. I basically have to learn all this stuff in three months per semester. If I was taking these classes one by one maybe that would, but the fact that I have to take Linear Algebra, Physics 37 for engineers, along with a C.S related class and a GE is what's difficult for me. Although I'm in Cal 3, I feel like I don't know half of what I'm doing. I just see how some things work, but not necessarily why.

Last edited:

Comp Sci too.

It's not that I don't think I can take them. It's just that I never had any experience with calculus in H.S, and never took any Physics at all. I basically have to learn all this stuff in three months per semester. If I was taking these classes one by one maybe that would, but the fact that I have to take Linear Algebra, Physics 37 for engineers, along with a C.S related class and a GE is what's difficult for me. Although I'm in Cal 3, I feel like I don't know half of what I'm doing. I just see how some things work, but not necessarily why.

You're just going to have to sacrifice a lot of time and do a lot of self teaching.

You're just going to have to sacrifice a lot of time and do a lot of self teaching.
Yeah I spend a good amount of time trying to learn all this stuff. I spend the good majority of each day, except Fridays and sometimes Saturdays to one subject.

Do you enjoy programming? If you're getting scared now, now might be a good time to start thinking about a different major. The worse thing you can do is get too far into a major and then switch. Better to switch sooner than later. Hope that doesn't sound harsh but I'd hate for you to make that mistake. What interests you?

Do you enjoy programming? If you're getting scared now, now might be a good time to start thinking about a different major. The worse thing you can do is get too far into a major and then switch. Better to switch sooner than later. Hope that doesn't sound harsh but I'd hate for you to make that mistake. What interests you?
Oh I definitely enjoy it. It's just that I haven't done much of it. The only experience I have is with Visual Basic. I understand it and all, but I'm so wrapped up in Calculus and the other sciences I mentioned that I can't devote the amount of time I should to it.

Last edited:
bro you just have to want it for yourself. ive taken calculus 1-3, linear algebra, ODE, and PDE, and you just gotta buckle down and soak in as much as you can. honestly i feel like if you take math classes consistently they get easier as you progress. except for PDE, that **** is just hard.

bro you just have to want it for yourself. ive taken calculus 1-3, linear algebra, ODE, and PDE, and you just gotta buckle down and soak in as much as you can. honestly i feel like if you take math classes consistently they get easier as you progress. except for PDE, that **** is just hard.

I've taken math all the way from pre-algebra since I been here. Like I said, maybe it's just because I have to juggle all these classes, but yeah. How important are these high level courses when it comes to programming though? I always read conflicting information when that question is asked.

I've taken math all the way from pre-algebra since I been here. Like I said, maybe it's just because I have to juggle all these classes, but yeah. How important are these high level courses when it comes to programming though? I always read conflicting information when that question is asked.

It depends on what you're programming. If you're doing models of off shore wind farms then understanding the wave equation can help you accurately make a program that can emulate the dampening that occurs in the system. Or maybe you'll do something like make doodle jump. I can't guarantee that you'll need it but if this is your craft then you'd better cover your bases so you're not completely unfamiliar

Not trying to discourage you here with this.

But just keep this in mind.

When you finish college and get your degree in computer science be prepared to:

-Work long and weird hours, like graveyard shifts, and have odd days offs.
-Expect to be apart of team enviorment, but you will work on projects on your own and will be expected to do a lot of documentation where you will be responsible for writing and maintaing processes on how to fix stuff.
-Expect to also have to get job related I.T. Certifications to go with your Comp Science degree.

Before you transfer from community college you should already be studying for stuff like SQL, VB Script writing, C++, Cobol, Linux, UNIX, know and have a basic understanding of Microsoft Active Directory, Microsoft Exchange Server, Microsoft SCCM, Microsoft Sharepoint, Java.

Last edited:

-Expect to be apart of team enviorment, but you will work on projects on your own and will be expected to do a lot of documentation where you will be responsible for writing and maintaing processes on how to fix stuff.
-Expect to also have to get job related I.T. Certifications to go with your Comp Science degree.

Before you transfer from community college you should already be studying for stuff like SQL, VB Script writing, C++, Cobol, Linux, UNIX, know and have a basic understanding of Microsoft Active Directory, Microsoft Exchange Server, Microsoft SCCM, Microsoft Sharepoint, Java.

I'm planning on taking a c++ class next semester, and Java isn't a requirement for me to transfer, but I also will take a Java class soon. I need a laptop, so I can get back onto my VB learning. Just gotta save the money and find one for a decent price.

I assume you're transferring for your fall semester? If so I highly recommend putting in the time to get familiar with the course material over the summer. Take a look at the courses that you'll need to take at the school you're trying to go to and pinpoint the ones that will likely give you the most problems (which it seems like you have already done). Those are the ones you should be studying over the summer.

Also take into account the GPA required to get into the specific school that houses CS and the GPA you'll need to maintain once you're in. While you obviously want to do well in all of your classes, that might not be the reality especially with those physics classes. Plot out the specific grades you'll need so that you'll get in/maintain your standing in the specific school. As I said before, theoretically a 4.0 would be great, but as long as you're within the grade parameters you'll get a degree.

Once you get everything squared away with transferring you'll register for classes. Do your research on good professors beforehand so you know who to try and sign up for during your orientation. After registration, I highly suggest trying to contact these professors early for a possible syllabus or at least the textbooks you'll be working with so you can get a head start over the summer. I also suggest trying to contact someone who is going through the CS program at that school and they can help you with specific questions and tips.

what software engineer do you know that works graveyard shifts and have odd days off?  I have been in the field for 7 years now and dont know any software engineer who works that type of schedule.. now their are times you have to work long hours/overtime.. but that is usually during some crunch time.  

If you can write software the skies the limit, probably one of the best career fields you can into this day and age.. just like anything in life, anything worth while in life is tough.. keep your grades high and get an internship during your junior/senior year and you should be good to go. 

I assume you're transferring for your fall semester? If so I highly recommend putting in the time to get familiar with the course material over the summer. Take a look at the courses that you'll need to take at the school you're trying to go to and pinpoint the ones that will likely give you the most problems (which it seems like you have already done). Those are the ones you should be studying over the summer.

Also take into account the GPA required to get into the specific school that houses CS and the GPA you'll need to maintain once you're in. While you obviously want to do well in all of your classes, that might not be the reality especially with those physics classes. Plot out the specific grades you'll need so that you'll get in/maintain your standing in the specific school. As I said before, theoretically a 4.0 would be great, but as long as you're within the grade parameters you'll get a degree.

Once you get everything squared away with transferring you'll register for classes. Do your research on good professors beforehand so you know who to try and sign up for during your orientation. After registration, I highly suggest trying to contact these professors early for a possible syllabus or at least the textbooks you'll be working with so you can get a head start over the summer. I also suggest trying to contact someone who is going through the CS program at that school and they can help you with specific questions and tips.

I apply to transfer next semester. When Spring of next year hits, I will have taken all the classes that were listed as prerequisites in order to transfer, so I have a small window to get familiar with certain things.

This is highly subjective. It really depends on what type of environment you find yourself in. If you're in a start up environment, you'll probably have to work weird hours like that. If you work for the government? 9-5 daily, all holidays, and you have a relatively lighter workload.

Certifications are hit or miss too. You only really need them when you're trying to get hired. If people know about you, you don't need those.

I agree about knowing all of those languages, except COBOL. Aside from old legacy systems who is using COBOL anymore? :lol:

Last edited:
ain't eem gon' lie, i originally wanted to do comp sci cause i thought it would be "easy" and easy money. :rolleyes my advisor recommended I change majors to IT instead, and now im considering changing it again to something else...:smh:

ain't eem gon' lie, i originally wanted to do comp sci cause i thought it would be "easy" and easy money. :rolleyes my advisor recommended I change majors to IT instead, and now im considering changing it again to something else...:smh:

Whenever I read those articles that have like the top majors you should and shouldn't consider, I always see Computer Science as the alternative to IT.

what software engineer do you know that works graveyard shifts and have odd days off?  I have been in the field for 7 years now and dont know any software engineer who works that type of schedule.. now their are times you have to work long hours/overtime.. but that is usually during some crunch time.  

If you can write software the skies the limit, probably one of the best career fields you can into this day and age.. just like anything in life, anything worth while in life is tough.. keep your grades high and get an internship during your junior/senior year and you should be good to go. 

Plenty of places where I have worked before.Heck currently where I work right now the programmers in our IT department are working those odd hours and weekends because of this whole Windows XP not being supported come April and need to be swapped out with Windows 7 ASAP.

Also OP will be fresh out of college with a degree and little or zero work related experience on his resume.

At any job level a person has to start somewhere and work their way up.NT'ers in I.T. related threads like this one, always make it seem like a I.T. job related is going to be glamourus and easy from the jump where dude will be making 60K to 6 figures .

Last edited:
I was engineering, but switched. Good major if you truly enjoy it. Also, I would suggest searching "engineering" in the general forum, there were a few useful threads that helped me out alot.

About to finish up my IT degree with little work experience. :frown: Any tips or advice in here would be extremely appreciated. Just looking to get my foot in the door in somewhere and wiling to do anything.

Anybody have any C.S related books to recommend?

View media item 870551Computer Networking: A Top Down Approach

View media item 870542Foundations of Security: What Every Programmer Needs to Know

Not sure if those are the most recent editions. Those two should keep you busy for a while. Might also wanna hold off on that security book for a little bit. It gets into some heavy crypto stuff.

About to finish up my IT degree with little work experience. :frown: Any tips or advice in here would be extremely appreciated. Just looking to get my foot in the door in somewhere and wiling to do anything.

Try a nearby school district, library, hospital, or other similar organization. They are always in need of new IT people.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom