Computer Science / Engineering Thread!!

View media item 870551Computer Networking: A Top Down Approach

View media item 870542Foundations of Security: What Every Programmer Needs to Know

Not sure if those are the most recent editions. Those two should keep you busy for a while. Might also wanna hold off on that security book for a little bit. It gets into some heavy crypto stuff.
Try a nearby school district, library, hospital, or other similar organization. They are always in need of new IT people.

Good lookin out. I literally just downloaded a PDF version of a book called Computer Science: An Overview. It's getting good reviews, so hopefully that puts me on the right path.

Engineering Major checking in. Currently in a BS/MS program for an MS in C.E.

View media item 870612

Engineering is awesome if it is truly your passion. You will never have to work a day in your life and the classes though hard, are extremely interesting and exciting.

I engineered a fully functional, small-scale Storm Water Drainage System for an engineering competition in my school. I won first place in 3 different categories.

View media item 870609

I'm also a recipient of a Internship/scholarship given to a few engineering majors from who were interviewed from schools like Princeton, NJIT, Rutgers, SIT, Monmouth, and a few others.

View media item 870616

That's dope as hell man.

I am double majoring in Comp Sci and Molecular Bio. This Java programming is kicking my *** 
laugh.gif

Engineering Major checking in. Currently in a BS/MS program for an MS in C.E.

Engineering is awesome if it is truly your passion. You will never have to work a day in your life and the classes though hard, are extremely interesting and exciting.

I engineered a fully functional, small-scale Storm Water Drainage System for an engineering competition in my school. I won first place in 3 different categories.

I'm also a recipient of a Internship/scholarship given to a few engineering majors from who were interviewed from schools like Princeton, NJIT, Rutgers, SIT, Monmouth, and a few others.
good to see a fellow Civil here. currently getting my MS in geotechnical engineering 
smokin.gif

I'm in my last semester for computer engineering at SDSU :nthat:
Been a tough couple of years, but it's been interesting to say the least...
C/C++/C# are lame as hell to me but thank god i'm in a Javascript class this sem
Got 6 more weeks to build an autonomous rc car for my senior capstone project, not going to well atm :smh::lol:

Last edited:
Current Electrical and Computer Engineering major. Though I struggle it's what I like and enjoy doing. Really couldn't see myself majoring in anything else. Learning C at the moment and familiar with assembly.

In my Junior year studying Comp Sci. right now. About to start my project of emulating a basic operating system (interrupt handlers, memory management, etc.). Kinda excited but that work load is gonna be crazy 
laugh.gif

Also gotta figure out what I wanna do for my senior project but I dont know what yet.

Last edited:
All of this is dope to hear. For those who are close to graduating, what are you guys' plan when that time comes?

Plenty of places where I have worked before.Heck currently where I work right now the programmers in our IT department are working those odd hours and weekends because of this whole Windows XP not being supported come April and need to be swapped out with Windows 7 ASAP.

Also OP will be fresh out of college with a degree and little or zero work related experience on his resume.

At any job level a person has to start somewhere and work their way up.NT'ers in I.T. related threads like this one, always make it seem like a I.T. job related is going to be glamourus and easy from the jump where dude will be making 60K to 6 figures .
I.T. and Software engineering are two completely different fields... 

first year currently. This **** is no joke. Think im gonna fail my assignment

Expect to fail your first programming classes if you have little to no experience. But everyone fails a class every once and a while. Just pay attention and code a long with your instructor. Make sure your logic and reasoning skills are high.

Just pray you get professors who curve like 3 letter grades.

Graduated with a B.S. in computer science,. Not going to lie, it was very difficult for me my early years. 1 part because of the material, another learning to study the material. Was repeating classes a lot too.

Ultimately transferred schools and got myself into some tutoring programs and started doing better. Still wasn't the smoothest years but I got through it. Real life is a cake walk though.

I learned Computer Science is one of those majors that you can't treat like most others. You have to actually study and cant really bull **** your way through it. Also be prepared to teach yourself the materials. Programming was the tough part for me, I just could not grasp it and I had a professor that offered little help. Java, C++ and all of that makes HTML a breeze. Keep the faith my bros, when you graduate and land that good job, this hard work will be worth it.

We have an engineering thread but I don't think we have anything particular to computer science.

Anyways, I graduated with an electircal engineering degree in June 2011. I had never taken any classes related to electrical engineering or calculus before college, you will be fine. If you work hard and manage your time correctly, everything will be good. IMO the first year is the toughest.

If anyone has other questions, don't hesitant to hit me up.

What you working on?

Not gonna lie, business is more my thing, im not a computer scientist. I just got good grades in those courses in hs and so I am in this current situation. I have a lot of the skills related to comsci imo so the first semes and hs were a breeze .Once I see a solution in my head, I can code just about any assignment in a breeze. However, i am at the part where imo separates the guys with actual interest and people like me.

The problem im facing with this current assignment is combining recursion with a problem I have to solve. Specifically breaking down user input and building a tree out of it.

What you working on?
Not gonna lie, business is more my thing, im not a computer scientist. I just got good grades in those courses in hs and so I am in this current situation. I have a lot of the skills related to comsci imo so the first semes and hs were a breeze .Once I see a solution in my head, I can code just about any assignment in a breeze. However, i am at the part where imo separates the guys with actual interest and people like me.

The problem im facing with this current assignment is combining recursion with a problem I have to solve. Specifically breaking down user input and building a tree out of it.
I hate recursion, its one of those concepts you have to do over and over again to understand. It can be so clutch if you master it tho, working on recursion right now with python in one of my classes.

Binary tree? 

Last edited:
I hate recursion, its one of those concepts you have to do over and over again to understand. It can be so clutch if you master it tho, working on recursion right now with python in one of my classes.

Binary tree? 

ha im also doing python. yes a binary tree i believe is the underlying structure, its frustrating

ha im also doing python. yes a binary tree i believe is the underlying structure, its frustrating
Yea first time learning python so it has a slight learning curve involved, gotta get this hw done either way.

Are you reading in numbers and loading it into a binary tree?

Yea first time learning python so it has a slight learning curve involved, gotta get this hw done either way.

Are you reading in numbers and loading it into a binary tree?

a bit more complex than that, im taking in regexes in the form of (1|2) and making a tree from something like that. 1 and 2 being the leafs and | being the root.

a bit more complex than that, im taking in regexes in the form of (1|2) and making a tree from something like that. 1 and 2 being the leafs and | being the root.
So it would look like:

|

1     2 

and if you read in another it would look like:

|

1         2

3      4

where 3 and 4 are leaves of 1?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom