Computer Science / Engineering Thread!!

a bit more complex than that, im taking in regexes in the form of (1|2) and making a tree from something like that. 1 and 2 being the leafs and | being the root.

I had to do the exact same assignment, :rofl: :rofl:

Here's a hint: doubly linked lists.

Last edited:
So it would look like:

|
      1     2 

and if you read in another it would look like:

|
       1         2
   3      4

where 3 and 4 are leaves of 1?

yessir. The puzzle of this problem is to break down something like this (((1.2)|(2.3)).e*) using recursion and to build the tree.

this **** is due sunday afternoon. Im not even tripping ill figure it out

Last edited:

a bit more complex than that, im taking in regexes in the form of (1|2) and making a tree from something like that. 1 and 2 being the leafs and | being the root.
I had to do the exact same assignment,
roll.gif
roll.gif

Here's a hint: doubly linked lists.
Had to do doubly circular linked lists last semester. Ish was hard as hell until i started drawing out the steps and then after that I got all the code done in like 3 hrs 
laugh.gif

yessir. The puzzle of this problem is to break down something like this (((1.2)|(2.3)).e*) using recursion and to build the tree.
What about using the stack to match parentheses (if theres an '(' makes sure there is a ')'  ), so you could correctly pull out each expression, the 1.2 and the 2.3?  Then build the tree?....using recursion to do this is where I start drawing blanks 
mean.gif

Had to do doubly circular linked lists last semester. Ish was hard as hell until i started drawing out the steps after that I got all the code done in like 3 hrs :lol:

I struggled with recursion for a long time (not in theory, just implementation) until I started drawing out stuff. I literally hadn't ever drawn out algorithms until my professor recommended that I draw out the steps that my algorithm was taking. This was my junior year :rofl: / :smh:

I recommend everyone who codes to draw it out now. Especially with recursion.

Naruto Naruto , if you need help I suggest searching for similar assignments on Stack Overflow. However, they are brutal on that site :rofl:

Last edited:
I struggled with recursion for a long time (not in theory, just implementation) until I started drawing out stuff. I literally hadn't ever drawn out algorithms until my professor recommended that I draw out the steps that my algorithm was taking. This was my junior year :rofl: / :smh:

I recommend everyone who codes to draw it out now. Especially with recursion.

Naruto Naruto , if you need help I suggest searching for similar assignments on Stack Overflow. However, they are brutal on that site :rofl:

how likely is it to get booked for plagiarism? I need to use code for getting the permutations of a string. My code looks exactly like examples online, not sure if this is considered general computer scientist knowledge

how likely is it to get booked for plagiarism? I need to use code for getting the permutations of a string. My code looks exactly like examples online, not sure if this is considered general computer scientist knowledge
There are a bunch of ways to write the same code, I'm sure professors know some of these ways. Code is gonna be similar in most aspects so it isn't likely to get hit with plagiarism. Everyone has their coding style, comments etc.

I usually throw a bunch of comments in my code, so my prof knows its usually me when theres like 20 lines of comments.

Plagiarism is only plagiarism when you dont credit the original author. :smile:

Plagiarism in the CS is a touchy topic anyways. A great deal of code out there is recycled code, and I've seen open source stuff used in a plethora of closed source environments. A good deal of the methods you actually build in CS programs are methods that already exist within the Java library in some way, shape, or form.

As long as you don't leave comments in, and the code itself isn't super complex or obviously stolen, then I think you're good. Just don't copy/paste, change the name of the variables/functions, order of declarations, etc

Could some give an example of the classes you took in your first year, quarter or however the 4 years do it?

I only got an associates in computer technology. Networking specifically. I'm so upset with how I don't even use my degree with my current job. Still gotta pay back loans on top of that. I love hardware. I've always been hands on. But I need more education.

I always wanted to open my own repair shop.

Security seemed so complex but I may dabble in that.

I have a city job with good benefits and most people consider it a career job.

You have the option to rake in over 100k with overtime. Really lost as to what to do

Could some give an example of the classes you took in your first year, quarter or however the 4 years do it?
Intro to Programming (C++), Advanced Programming (using unix, h files, etc) and Calculus, Discrete Math, Then Java with applets and Computer Architecture.

Last edited:
My first quarter of college was calculus 1/trig, college English, an intro to biomedical engineering class, and chemistry 1a.

I took my C++ class my winter quarter of my second year. During that term I also took mechanical physics for engineers, organic chemistry, and calculus 2.

I already took all those classes you took in the first quarter at my CC. I wonder what I'll be taking since I'm a transfer student.

Intro to Programming (C++), Advanced Programming (using unix, h files, etc) and Calculus, Discrete Math, Then Java with applets and Computer Architecture.

Damn C++ is considered intro to programming? At my school it's Visual Basic.

Here's how I did it (take calc II with the easiest classes possible, trust me)

F: Calc I
S: Intro to Computer Programming + Problem Solving & Calc II

F: Stats
S: Discrete Mathematics & Object Oriented Programming + Design

F: Data Structures & Operating Systems
S: Information Security & Computer Networking

F: Computer Applications in Experimental Sciences & Database Design
S: Systems Analysis + Design & Computer Architecture

Here's how I did it (take calc II with the easiest classes possible, trust me)

F: Calc I
S: Intro to Computer Programming + Problem Solving & Calc II

F: Stats
S: Discrete Mathematics & Object Oriented Programming + Design

F: Data Structures & Operating Systems
S: Information Security & Computer Networking

F: Computer Applications in Experimental Sciences & Database Design
S: Systems Analysis + Design & Computer Architecture

I'm in Cal 3 now, but thanks for the reply

Computer Science and Physics major here. I was in school for 5.5 years to get both degrees. The programming language was Java (which to this day I still don't understand) and the focus was networking. After I finished college I went to the local technical college and learned more there in 3 quarters than I did in 5.5 years in college. The stuff that I use in the workforce is all from the technical college, (hands on), the only thing I really retained from college is critical thinking skills. Matter of fact I am the only person in the department with a computer degree. The other degrees range from history, business administration, general studies, biology among many others. When I think about it I'm like what was all that high-level math for? If you gave me a calculus four problem right now, I wouldn't even know where to start or had not had reason to use it since I passed the class.

I have nothing to back this up with, but from my understanding, I would think Calculus is more useful to engineers. Also, computer science is a broad field. You may need the math in certain areas, but in other, like on your case, you might not.

I have nothing to back this up with, but from my understanding, I would think Calculus is more useful to engineers. Also, computer science is a broad field. You may need the math in certain areas, but in other, like on your case, you might not.
This I have to agree with, I hate math. 

My friend did some engineering classes and all he deals with is high level math classes and diagrams of components.

My friend did some engineering classes and all he deals with is high level math classes and diagrams of components.

Calc also helps when you're building software for instruments. One of my projects involved measuring the tone from an instrument.

Twas not fun. :smh:

Last edited:
Damn C++ is considered intro to programming? At my school it's Visual Basic.
you can use a bunch of languages to teach intro to program.. at UF they taught it in Java.. once you learn Objected Oriented programming picking up new languages is pretty easy.

Math is used a lot in programming, especially in the video game industry

Last edited:
I graduated in 2001 with a Electrical engineering degree in a well known state school in my neck of woods and I've never been without a job since and its no coincidence.

1. Giving advice to those currently in school or having thoughts about majoring in one of these fields.

It is hard work and I mean hard work. There was a stat at my school that only 10% of students who start as engineer majors actually graduate. It is a hard earned degree for good reason.

2. Giving any kind of assistance to those who need it.

If you don't quit, you will finish. Also, don't be discouraged if you don't do well in one class. I recall my first calculus class in community college. I thought, "hey, this class is wide open! I'll just sign up here!" Boy that professor was a witch. Didn't curve or nothing. End of the year, only one got A, one got a B, and the rest got C, D, and F. I'm glad I didn't quit engineering just from that class. The following semester I took it with another professor after asking around and I got an A. I also got a D in logic course. After talking to a counselor, they said it's not part of my core so I don't really need to retake it. It hurt my GPA but I had to graduate so I kept moving on.

3. Educating people about what Computer Science and Engineering is.

A lot of people think CS is hard core programming and engineering is design. But that is not the case. CS and E can open a lot of doors that other majors cannot. I have seen many people who get CS degree but are in finance or engineering who are patent attorneys. Do not limit yourself. What you won't find is someone with an accounting degree doing engineering work. I can go on and on about this but I'll leave it at that.

4. Talk about what you do, how you've gotten there, all of that.

I'm a director of a network engineering team managing over 120 engineers globally. Throughout my career, I had to do all the stuff that you hear about such as work graveyard, weekend, and menial work. I was never the sharpest student or worker but I made sure I was always the most hardworking, competent, and professional worker for internal and external customers. I took every opportunity to shine and even asked for it when it was available. I recall my first team lead position where I was managing engineers who were twice my age simply because I was more hungry.

5. Talking about technology in general.

skip...lol. It's always changing. It is a field where you must keep updated and study continously. If you don't like to be up to date with the latest technology, it's best you get out.

I graduated in 2001 with a Electrical engineering degree in a well known state school in my neck of woods and I've never been without a job since and its no coincidence.

1. Giving advice to those currently in school or having thoughts about majoring in one of these fields.

It is hard work and I mean hard work. There was a stat at my school that only 10% of students who start as engineer majors actually graduate. It is a hard earned degree for good reason.

2. Giving any kind of assistance to those who need it.

If you don't quit, you will finish. Also, don't be discouraged if you don't do well in one class. I recall my first calculus class in community college. I thought, "hey, this class is wide open! I'll just sign up here!" Boy that professor was a witch. Didn't curve or nothing. End of the year, only one got A, one got a B, and the rest got C, D, and F. I'm glad I didn't quit engineering just from that class. The following semester I took it with another professor after asking around and I got an A. I also got a D in logic course. After talking to a counselor, they said it's not part of my core so I don't really need to retake it. It hurt my GPA but I had to graduate so I kept moving on.

3. Educating people about what Computer Science and Engineering is.

A lot of people think CS is hard core programming and engineering is design. But that is not the case. CS and E can open a lot of doors that other majors cannot. I have seen many people who get CS degree but are in finance or engineering who are patent attorneys. Do not limit yourself. What you won't find is someone with an accounting degree doing engineering work. I can go on and on about this but I'll leave it at that.

4. Talk about what you do, how you've gotten there, all of that.

I'm a director of a network engineering team managing over 120 engineers globally. Throughout my career, I had to do all the stuff that you hear about such as work graveyard, weekend, and menial work. I was never the sharpest student or worker but I made sure I was always the most hardworking, competent, and professional worker for internal and external customers. I took every opportunity to shine and even asked for it when it was available. I recall my first team lead position where I was managing engineers who were twice my age simply because I was more hungry.

5. Talking about technology in general.

skip...lol. It's always changing. It is a field where you must keep updated and study continously. If you don't like to be up to date with the latest technology, it's best you get out.

Agreed with the C.S part. Going into it that's all I thought it was because I was naive. Programming is just one aspect of it. I wish I know that going in.

Back
Top Bottom