"Crabs In A Bucket"

Have any of my fellow Niketalkers come across a person or people who have the crab in a bucket mentality. Do any of your friends or family have this mentality? and if so how do you shake off the negativity? 

Have any of my fellow Niketalkers come across a person or people who have the crab in a bucket mentality. Do any of your friends or family have this mentality? and if so how do you shake off the negativity? 

yea... move on, get new friends.. easier said than done, but w/e

Crab mentality, sometimes referred to as crabs in the bucket, describes a way of thinking best described by the phrase "if I can't have it, neither should you." The metaphor refers to a pot of crabs. Individually, the crabs could easily escape from the pot, but instead, they grab at each other in a useless "king of the hill" competition (or sabotage) which prevents any from escaping and ensures their collective demise. The analogy in human behavior is that of a group that will attempt to "pull down" (negate or diminish the importance of) any member who achieves success beyond the others, out of envyconspiracy or competitive feelings.

This term is broadly associated with short-sighted, non-constructive thinking rather than a unified, long-term, constructive mentality. It is also often used colloquially in reference to individuals or communities attempting to "escape" a so-called "underprivileged life," but kept from doing so by others attempting to ride upon their coat-tails or those who simply resent their success.[sup][1][/sup]
[h2][edit][/h2]

[h2][/h2]

yea... move on, get new friends.. easier said than done, but w/e

Crab mentality, sometimes referred to as crabs in the bucket, describes a way of thinking best described by the phrase "if I can't have it, neither should you." The metaphor refers to a pot of crabs. Individually, the crabs could easily escape from the pot, but instead, they grab at each other in a useless "king of the hill" competition (or sabotage) which prevents any from escaping and ensures their collective demise. The analogy in human behavior is that of a group that will attempt to "pull down" (negate or diminish the importance of) any member who achieves success beyond the others, out of envyconspiracy or competitive feelings.

This term is broadly associated with short-sighted, non-constructive thinking rather than a unified, long-term, constructive mentality. It is also often used colloquially in reference to individuals or communities attempting to "escape" a so-called "underprivileged life," but kept from doing so by others attempting to ride upon their coat-tails or those who simply resent their success.[sup][1][/sup]
[h2][edit][/h2]

[h2][/h2]

Crustaceans 
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by eddiehouse5

Aka poor black people in America. Tell me I'm lying.

Yep.  But minorities in general.  I find it sad when people of color knock their fellow man of color when he's tryin' to better himself.

And yes I am blk.

Yep.  But minorities in general.  I find it sad when people of color knock their fellow man of color when he's tryin' to better himself.

And yes I am blk.

Originally Posted by KingJay718

And yes I am blk.

Yeah. Somebody tries to make life better for himself and we call him a sellout. If we spent half as much time boosting each other up instead of tearing each other down, we'd be much better off.

Back
Top Bottom