Dealing with depression

anyone ever feel like their soul is broken? this is what i'm going through right now

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

I dont think there is such thing as depression.

I would have said this too but some people are just wired differently.  Even when things go bad for me, I know that I have the power to make them better tomorrow.

the best thing i ever did was go to a therapist. i was kind of forced to though, a lot of people suggested i go see someone professionally. i was going through a rough couple of years, i feel so much better now

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

I feel that once you understand how insignifcant you are, your able to detach yourself from norms placed upon you by society, community, worldwide forces. Then you really can have some fun. I feel like the norms or roles we have to sometimes fulfill is a significant factor in why we feel depressed from time to time...because we're not stuntcity all the time or things aren't going our way for the time being.
I thought about this and this is true.

If you think about it, we're absolutely nothing in the world/overall scheme of things. And while that might be depressing to some, that's also liberating to others. Nothing you do matters. When you die, no one is going to care what job you had, who liked you, how much cash you had... nothing matters so just do whatever you like.

pimp.gif

I read books about mental health (the road less traveled m. scott peck)

read more books and came across one that talked about 6 parts of your life you should keep in balance. they were financial, physical, emotional, intellectual, spiritual and social. if one's out of balance or too much or too little, then it affects everything else in a negative way.

i was lacking in the physical and financial, so after i started hitting the weights at the gym and landed more gigs life felt much better.

all i can do is keep myself occupied otherwise.... an empty mind is the devil's playground. green didnt help me much...drinking made me forget temporarily

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

I briefly mentioned it to my friend a couple of years ago, but I feel like nobody understands or will understand what it's like unless they're in the same position so I just keep to myself about it

x2

speak your mind, you should be able to vent about your struggles somehow, whether it be on NT or real life.

Take some testosterone, start working out,exercising, being more active. Put all of your focus into working out/exercising. You'll see positive changes in your body and ultimately be happier, even if you're not insecure. Music, read books that will help yourself out, not necessarily "dealing with depression" but if you're depressed about finances, read something that will help you with finances (freakonomics), depressed about being weird or something read a book that talks about individuality etc.

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

I dont think there is such thing as depression.

Of course you don't
laugh.gif
-I could go on a rant about everything that is wrong with this statement, but that would be like trying to explain the theory of relativity to a naked mole rat

i wouldnt exactly say depressed, but heart broken. which is depression of somesort right?

Still going through it, what helps me is green(all types), Other females, music, Call of duty, work. Being busy kinda make it impossible to be depressed. If it is severe, seek medical attention. AKA anti-depressants

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

I've never been depressed for an extended period of time, but every now and then I have those days so I empathize with people with clinical crippling depression. Don't be afraid to seek help, or talk to someone about it (Eg. friend, brother, parent, NT, people who care) a lot of times its just an imbalance and has no identifiable cause such as life stressors.

Things you could try for mild depression, depression tends to cause people to not enjoy activities they usually enjoy. Try to force yourself to stay active.
-Work out-releases endorphins
-Music
-Comedy
-Put your life in perspective. I rarely get sad cause I constantly think about how I literally have nothing to be sad about.
smokin.gif

Don't you have over 100k and more coming in loans though
Good try, loans suck and are a minor inconvenience that's about it-It's just one more thing I have to vent about---many people in my position are in far more debt than I am I was lucky enough to get some grants I don't have to pay back and my mom is taking care of most of my undergrad loans
smokin.gif
I'm a lucky guy

Many people on this planet with potential are never afforded the opportunity of pursue an education because of financial barriers-in many countries only the wealthy can afford to go attend institutions of higher learning-At the end of the day I am and will be doing a lot better financially than 99. 99999999 percent of people on this planet

Gym, reading, partying in moderation, finding something NEW is always so refreshing.

The problem with alot of people is that when they get depressed they celebrate it, in a negative way. They swim in their own emotions the more they get depressed and can't break away from it as easily as they do from happiness.

I always remember a quote when I realize I'm 'swimming' in my negative feelings:

"It's so hard to forget pain, but it's even harder to remember sweetness. We have no scar to show for happiness. We learn so little from peace."

What I mean is we take happiness for granted because its effects aren't as drastic as the ones we get from being depressed. It's as if we only view happiness as a default standard feeling, and everything is only less and less happy and we become more aware of it the less happy it is.

This too shall pass.

your in the 40k post club that alone is somethin to be proud of.
I go out and longboard and get my mind of everything

write it out bro, maybe some poetry. take a drive through the city. time heals...

keep your head up.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

I personally don't suffer from it but know people who do. I don't think they can be helped except for meds. It's a chemical imbalance in the brain. Everybody goes through ups and downs but chronically depressed folks aren't like that. 

I don't advoacte meds usually but in this case I think they're the only way out really.
Meds + therapy could be an good option if the symptoms don't subside..

Problem with depression is that people think it's the depressed person's fault. Like they are some type of mental ****** when that's not the case at all. Depressed people are forever stigmatized. Folks need to realize it's an actual sickness.

PS I don't think spending an extended period of time online helps, unless of course it's part of your job description. Take some breaks from technology and go outside. Nature might help out a bit.

Originally Posted by CelticsFan9783

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

I personally don't suffer from it but know people who do. I don't think they can be helped except for meds. It's a chemical imbalance in the brain. Everybody goes through ups and downs but chronically depressed folks aren't like that. 

I don't advoacte meds usually but in this case I think they're the only way out really.
Meds + therapy could be an good option if the symptoms don't subside..

Problem with depression is that people think it's the depressed person's fault. Like they are some type of mental ****** when that's not the case at all. Depressed people are forever stigmatized. Folks need to realize it's an actual sickness.

PS I don't think spending an extended period of time online helps, unless of course it's part of your job description. Take some breaks from technology and go outside. Nature might help out a bit.

QFT. Some people need the meds + therapy in order to ease the depression. Im not really depressed but I have anxiety which could sometimes cause me to because depressed and I thought that I could overcome it on my own. I went 2-3 years of having ups and downs until I finally figured enough was enough and started getting help. My therapist pretty much said it has nothing to do with the actual person but as I quoted above its a chemical imbalance in the brain. I take meds and go to therapy and I could honestly say the past year that Ive been doing it, Ive felt like I could actually live a normal life again and have been. Obviously all the symptoms are not going to go away for good but it for damn sure has helped a lot.  You also have to help yourself by getting out of the house and becoming involved in activities. The worst thing you can do is sit at home and have no interaction. Also smoking herb isnt always the best choice. It might help out a lot of people but then theres others such as myself that it would do more harm than good.

Wish I had time to deal it away right now, have a midterm to study for tomorrow :/

For me.. I just start doing things that block me out from reality. Sometimes, people want to venture out far away and take on a different view for once. For this same reason, people go on vacations. And some people might not be able to do that. So I just play some video games with a good story line. Spark up and listen to some mind blowing, euphoric, or mellow music. Take a walk through a park you've never visited. Hit up the homies, have a ball or watch some comedy shows.

Originally Posted by DJ Rashy

I read books about mental health (the road less traveled m. scott peck)

read more books and came across one that talked about 6 parts of your life you should keep in balance. they were financial, physical, emotional, intellectual, spiritual and social. if one's out of balance or too much or too little, then it affects everything else in a negative way.

i was lacking in the physical and financial, so after i started hitting the weights at the gym and landed more gigs life felt much better.
Those are the key factors I think .My father always preached this to me so I been on my gym flow since March.It's just me breaking 6 figures that's stressing me.

Smoke some green or do something you enjoy, try to keep the mind frame you have and keep the bad thoughts out.

Also if you have negative people in you're life get rid of them, doesn't matter if they are you're only friends you can find new ones in time.

Break up your routine. Write down all the things in your life that you think are contributing to your depression.

Take up a hobby - cooking, read short stories, listen to a different radio station that plays classical music, explore what is out there.

What's good fellas. Props to everyone that listed some good info.
For those that don't know, mental illnesses can be debilitating. Just like you can be restrained physically, you can be restrained mentally.
Earlier this evening I encountered somewhat of a panic attack and literally thought that I may have a stroke or possibly lose my life. In attempt to make myself feel better, I worked out: ran around the block, push ups, sit ups. I honestly feel like you have to let your body/mind know who's boss. If you feel lazy, then your body is getting the best of you. After I worked out, I felt a lot better and to ease my mind, I wrote this poem:

I think that I'm losing my mind, I mean certifiably insane
Where peace once dwelled & happiness was held has now been replaced with pain.
I fought for as long as I could, And still no end in sight
I gave & gave and cried and cried until I battled with all my might.
Now I'm slipping in and out of reality in search of peace of mind.
The life I once loved never loved me back and never tried to be kind
My delicate mind has fallen apart and I take all of the blame.
Though I hold my head high and gaze to the sky, My heart is filled with shame
How resiliant am I really? Will I ever know?
The pain the ripped my mind to shreds may have helped me to grow.
Will I shatter and fall? My will says "NO"! This is a temporary trial
Heart of a Lion and the will of a King, I'm in this battle for quite a while
Though pain is evident, defeat is not an option I surely will not fall
Blood may be shed, but I still raise my head and continute to stand tall.

Hope this encourages anyone that's experiencing any sort of issues.

Back
Top Bottom