Differing financial situations: Who pays on the first couple dates

There is this conundrum when you're trying to get to know someone on the first couple dates.

If she is a student, and you're a full-time working member of society. The two of you are going to have different financial situations, and if both of you are fiscally responsible, you will be living within your means.

While you are correct that there are still some activities nowadays which can be performed for free. However, meals are not free, which is usually what follows after a day of activities.

Finally gets me to my point. If you decide to split the bill on the first couple dates, she may not be able to afford going to certain places, or even the frequency of going out.
If you start paying for all these activities and meals. Would that not breed the notion that you are bankrolling her.

Money is always a hard thing to discuss. It is made even harder when you're trying to get to know someone, and you don't want to give the impression that you are frugal.

Dont think too hard.

In my situation we usually alternate but sometimes we just go with whoever chooses the restaurant.

if you don't pay for the 1st date regardless of your financial situation you ain't seeing a 2nd date

Last three girls I've been out with have been working professionals like me, pretty sure I make a lot more than each of them (one's a PA so maybe not that much more)

Always paid for dinner even if they tried to pay/split, but let them pay for round or two of drinks when bar hopping after

Edit: each of the dates went well, if they sucked would prob go for the split :smokin

Last edited:
First time I axed this current girl I'm seeing to go out, she paid :lol: :pimp:

Last edited:
Chances are I'm the one who asked her out so I'm paying for the first date. If she wants to go dutch, by all means I'm not stopping her.

This is a black and white thing with me, letting women pay for dates is never flying ever.

Never actually split a bill before, but seems like it would be super awkward for some reason. Prob overthinking it...

I keep it relatively risk-free by getting drinks on the 1st date.

If it doesn't work out, no worries.

it always seems to be 50/50 for me.

I got her with the in & out first, next date she hits me back with a taco date.

its whatever ......you got it or i got it in a relationship.

at first u gots to pay tho.

Last edited:
I think the first few dates it's the courteous thing to do for the man to pay. After that, it all depends on the relationship. If she's really into you, she won't hesitate to grab the bill. No questions asked. None of this, "oh, do we want me to get it?"

if I don't got the funds, just make a nice home cooked meal. $10 will probably make you some real nice **** for 2.

Back
Top Bottom