DISNEYLAND/DISNEYWORLD APPRECIATION!!! PUT IN UR ORDER FOR AN NT DISNEY SPIRIT JERSEY NOW!!!

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY DISNEYLAND RIDE LOOKS TO OFFER A LOT OF FUN FOR MARVEL FANS

How the new attraction will be a very different experience from the Tower of Terror.

While Iron Man Experience has just opened at Hong Kong Disneyland, the first Marvel-based ride to come to an American Disney park will arrive this coming summer, with Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: Breakout! Replacing the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror at California Adventure at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, CA, the ride immerses guests in the world of the Marvel comics characters popularized in the feature film and its upcoming sequel.

With construction currently underway, I took part in an early press preview (complete with protective hardhats!) of what to expect from Mission: Breakout -- as Disney crews worked to quickly overhaul the Tower of Terror into the new ride -- and came away feeling very excited and optimistic about what's in store.

The decision to close Tower of Terror at all was met with its fair share of negative reaction by Disneyland fans, as that was a beloved ride in its own right, with a distinct and immersive old Hollywood setting and storyline. Mission: Breakout is using the existing structure and ride system and it seemed at first as this new attraction was more of a cosmetic overhaul that would essentially be the same experience. However, that assumption doesn't seem to actually be correct.

"I want to stress, there is a complete, tonal shift on what the ride will be like," explained Walt Disney Imagineering veteran Joe Rohde. "It is the ride system [from Tower of Terror], but any ride system can be made to do many things.”

Mission: Breakout takes guests into the lair of Taneleer Tivan, The Collector (Benicio Del Toro will appear, as will several Guardians film actors), who has captured the Guardians as part of his collection. The storyline for the ride has an escaped Rocket Raccoon ask for your help in freeing his friends, only for all of the various aliens and creatures in the collection to be freed with chaotic results.

Rohde described the Tower of Terror as having been, “A mystery ride. It invested more than half of its entire time in building mystery," referencing the early portion, as you sat on the ride and viewed the hotel guests "vanishing” on one of the floors, before the elevator you were in began to rapidly rise and fall, providing the true thrills.

For Guardians, Rohde explained, "This is a comedy, action-adventure, prison break. We need none of that [set-up once on the ride]. We invest immediately in movement... Everything that happens on the ride, from the moment you take off, happens in the context of this very physical chaos. The escape is happening, the other animals are escaping, everything in the collection is loose. The guards are trying to stop them. Rocket is trying to control the vehicle that is out of control because he blew the control tower to open the cages. It’s just insane chaos. But really funny, really fun chaos that ensues for the rest of the ride."

Music will play during the ride, evoking Star-Lord’s “Awesome” mix from the film – with a mixture of songs actually heard in Guardians of the Galaxy and some new, but era-appropriate, additions. What song you hear will vary if you go on the ride multiple times, as will the visuals you see while the ride is moving.

In Tower of Terror, a big moment came when the elevator doors opened as you were suspended high up, with a view looking out onto the park and seeing the drop below. Asked if this will happen during Mission: Breakout, Rohde explained, “Well… Yes and no! Sometimes the doors might open. Sometimes the doors might not open because something else will happen. Many things will happen on this ride… It’s a very dynamic ride.”

Rohde showed us what the Disney team refers to as “ride profiles” - essentially line graphs showing the movement of Mission: Breakout as it rises and falls. There were three different ones for the new attraction, depicting the variations guests will experience. All three notably had a lot more rapid movement from the start than Tower of Terror, whose profile we were shown alongside the new ones.

As Tower of Terror is overhauled into Mission: Breakout, the exterior is being altered from a 1930s-era hotel into an ornate sci-fi structure befitting the Collector, who Rohde described as “an arrogant, proud, glitzy kind of figure.” That’s raised eyebrows among some Disneyland aficionados, given the building no longer matches any of the setting around it in California Adventure, but Rohde said that was very much part of the intended scenario.

“The [Guardians] world terminates and terminates very abruptly,” said Rohde, regarding the building standout from its surroundings. “That’s part of the whole ‘kaboom’ of this. As we know from many of these films, someone just unzippers the reality and giant, automated snake dragons come from somewhere. Or someone steps through a circle and disappears to the other side of the planet” When it came to the Collector’s warehouse, the idea was this thing has just ‘Kablam!”, appeared out of nowhere.”

We were taken through the beginning of the interior portion of the queue, in what was once the Tower of Terror’s hotel lobby (and currently is still being dismantled from its previous look). For Mission: Breakout, it will be a walkthrough of the Collector’s museum-like collection, and filled with artifacts on the walls and in display cases – many of which will be very familiar to Marvel fans. On a table we were shown Rocket’s gun, a Chitauri blaster, a Nova Corp helmet and Asgardian weaponry, which were just a small sample of the way that elements from Marvel films and TV shows will be incorporated into the attraction.

Said Marvel’s Chief Creative Officer, Joe Quesada, “What’s wonderful about the collection is you have so many recognizable items there from movies, from TV shows, new things there that might be deriving from stories later to come. But even in a deeper dive you might see things there that only appear in comics. If you’re a Marvel die hard, you’ll recognize it. If you’re not, it’s a cool artifact. It’s a wonderful melding of all our universes to create this new world and this new collection.”

The queue will net move into the Collector’s office - the area that used to be the Tower of Terror hotel library. As was the case with Tower, this is will you will get your most direct instructions on what you need to do for the ride’s storyline. Though now, it won’t be Rod Serling speaking to you, but Rocket Raccoon. I asked Rohde how we will see Rocket and he replied, “We are still working on the Rocket depiction because we want to try to find a way to stretch the metaphor of it. The idea is that he’s loose in the ducts [above the guests] and is running around in here. When we see it on the outside, you’ll see a vent that’s been pried open. We want to get the idea that he’s in the system. He’s rewired everything. He’s rattling around in the system.”

In the office is the Collector’s desk and we were told, “His desk will be packed with stuff. If you’re interested, I recommend on opening day you look carefully at all the stuff everywhere because it will be packed with every conceivable Easter egg we can imagine.”

The final portion of the queue will be the least-changed from Tower of Terror, as the original boiler room setting – albeit with some new signage and additional components on top of it -- works well for the industrial look Rohde said they wanted at this point of the attraction.

Regarding what it’s like for Quesada to see Marvel have an attraction inside the Disneyland Resort, he remarked, “It’s an amazing feeling. I’ve been on a junket for the last two weeks at the Iron Man Experience as well, so I got to see that come to life. I keep telling people, I’ve been involved [with Marvel] for a very long time and coming to Disney and being a part of this company has been a dream come true. And actually being able to bring our characters to life in a different medium no less inside of a Disney Park, which is just…. We’ve all grown up with these parks. It’s an absolute thrill. And to me, one of the biggest thrills has been working with Joe. I’ve had the pleasure of learning so much from Joe and I don’t think anyone can say they’ve had a personalized tour of the Magic Kingdom to be shown how things work. You walk through the parks, you experience the parks, but how does it work? What are the theories behind how things are done? And why certain rides are rides and why certain rides are a story and a ride. The latter really interests me and there’s no one better than Joe to be doing that and it’s a fantastic learning experience. I don’t know what else I can say about that except it’s a thrill. Marvel, theme park, three dimensional, here we are.”

Asked whether other characters were considered for the ride before the Guardians, Rohde replied, “Very early in any conceptual exploration, you float these ideas. There’s a lot of Marvel characters you can imagine. You’re like, ‘Oh, Spider-Man!’ But there’s a super compressed little space. And you’re like, ‘What is he doing in this tiny little space?!’ Usually what happens is you hit on something and a bunch of little dominoes go clack, clack, clack and then, ‘
That’s going to work! That’s not a stretch! That’s going to work!’ Because the
thing! Because the ride!”

He added, “This is a laugh ride. That’s why it's Guardians. Because it’s funny and you scream and you laugh and the music.”

Considering all the Marvel Easter eggs and references planned – and especially when you consider the final post-credit scene of Guardians of the Galaxy – I couldn’t resist asking if Howard the Duck would be a part of the attraction in some manner. Said Quesada, “No comment!”​

Last edited:
Going to WDW this June for the first time with Fam...  Planning on getting 5 day park hopper.  Not sure if we have time to do water park at all...  What would be the best most efficient way to get to one park to another?  Been reading tram bus and boat.

Also, anyone experienced Be Our Guest recently for both Dinner and Lunch?  

if you stay at a disney hotel there's busses that take you to each park. each park has a bus sections in front where busses will shuttle you to different parks. the only time i remember taking a boat was from epcot to hollywood studios (i think).

it's pretty easy to get around, just does take a little time

if you stay at a disney hotel there's busses that take you to each park. each park has a bus sections in front where busses will shuttle you to different parks. the only time i remember taking a boat was from epcot to hollywood studios (i think).

it's pretty easy to get around, just does take a little time
Cool thanks...  Unfortunately not staying at an actual Disney hotel.  Staying at Hilton Buena Vista Palace which I believe is close to Disney Springs...

Regarding Be Our Guest, lunch is served cafeteria style while dinner is served as a sit down. The food selection is better for dinner IMO. The grey stuff is served at both, highly recommended it. 

Regarding Be Our Guest, lunch is served cafeteria style while dinner is served as a sit down. The food selection is better for dinner IMO. The grey stuff is served at both, highly recommended it. 
Thanks.  Was able to book dinner after checking for a couple of days...  Didnt realize those things book 6 months in advance 
roll.gif
  Ive been hearing about the grey stuff so Imma try that for sure.  

Royal21 Dining

Dinner at Disney’s New Restaurant Costs $15,000
Everything you need to know about 21 Royal

For the money that it would cost to buy a four-door hatchback — say, a Kia Rio or a Ford Fiesta — you could treat yourself and 11 friends to a meal at Disneyland’s extravagant new boîte, 21 Royal. The big draw of this brand new, ultra-deluxe experience is the chance to spend a night hanging out (and being pampered) inside of an apartment overlooking the theme park’s New Orleans Square — right above the Pirates of the Caribbean ride — in a space that was designed to be a private residence for Walt and Lilian Disney right before the mogul’s death in 1966. Dorothea Redmond, the production designer behind Gone with the Wind and Rear Window, put together plans for this space while she was working for Disney as an Imagineer.

The meal kicks off with cocktails in a courtyard lined with lanterns and firefly lights, followed by a seven-course dinner in the main dining room prepared by executive chef Andrew Sutton and chef de cuisine Justin Monson. Guests can have coffee and dessert inside the dining room or out on the balcony, which has a view of the park’s fireworks show. Certainly, that sounds like a nice evening, especially if you’re a Disney buff. But is it worth $1,250 per person?

That’s really hard to say. But one of the other unique things about this meal, which might account for the steep price tag, is the fact that 21 Royal is staffed with a butler, a sommelier, and servers who also double as tour guides. The Robb Report notes that many of the staffers have “experience in estate management and domestic service in private homes.” The meal is also bespoke and designed around a theme for each party. According to the 21 Royal homepage, the dishes will “tell a tale that is uniquely yours.” So in addition to dining in a supremely exclusive space rich with Disney history, guests will also get a bit of Downton Abbey-style treatment from a trained foot staff (minus all the class rage and smoldering sexual tension, probably). The price tag also includes park admission for 12 guests — which in itself would cost more than $1,200 — plus tax, tip, parking, and valet service from the Grand California Hotel.

Disney is no stranger to high-end dining experiences: The Florida theme parks house a slew of fine-dining restaurants that Eater’s critic Bill Addison endorses, and the original California park also has a ritzy private club/restaurant where membership costs more than $10,000 per year. But in terms of single-night extravagance, 21 Royal smokes the competition — it’s for Magic Kingdom ballers, only.

Reservations are now available for 21 Royal via phone at 714-300-7749.

Going to WDW this June for the first time with Fam...  Planning on getting 5 day park hopper.  Not sure if we have time to do water park at all...  What would be the best most efficient way to get to one park to another?  Been reading tram bus and boat.

Cool thanks...  Unfortunately not staying at an actual Disney hotel.  Staying at Hilton Buena Vista Palace which I believe is close to Disney Springs...
Be our guest is very pricy for dinner but pretty reasonable for lunch. The grey stuff is definitely a must try.

There are busses at Disney springs that will take you to each of the parks so if your hotel is nearby I recommend making the short walk or maybe even Uber or Lyft. Save yourself some money.

Be our guest is very pricy for dinner but pretty reasonable for lunch. The grey stuff is definitely a must try.

There are busses at Disney springs that will take you to each of the parks so if your hotel is nearby I recommend making the short walk or maybe even Uber or Lyft. Save yourself some money.
So is the experience between dinner and lunch similar?  I mean Ive seen pics of Beast but not sure if thats dinner only or even at lunch.

Yeah our hotel offers free shuttle to all 4 parks.  My mine thing is from park to park but I guess there are trams, buses and boths for those?

that would be epic :lol:

On some more affordable food...

DISNEYLAND'S TOP SECRET MENU ITEMS REVEALED

Disneyland enthusiasts and foodies rejoice! Here's the scoop on the resort's mouthwatering list of top secret menu items.

Resort officials confirmed to Eyewitness News the following list of secret menu items, which they described as being made from existing venue ingredients but served in a new way.

Officials also said the secret items are intended to enhance the existing menu offerings, and they will be ongoing while supplies last. Specific descriptions of the secret items were not provided.

Corn Chip Chili Cheese Pie with Jalapeños - the "Fire"-Fly, Main Street Refreshment Corner

Mac-n-Chili Bread Bowl - Main Street Refreshment Corner

"Electra"-fried Spicy Chicken Sandwich - Carnation Café

Galactic Burger "Alien Style" - Galactic Grill

Fantasia Ice Cream Whoopie Pie Sandwich - Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor

Main Street "Floats" - Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor

Fried Mozzarella Sticks - Stage door Café

Ice Cream Nachos with choice o f ice cream and topping on a bed of Crispitos - The Golden Horseshoe

Malibu Mocha Smoothie - Schmoozie's

Mac-n-Cheese Bread Bowl - Pacific Wharf Café

Neapolitan Shake - Flo's V8 Café

So is the experience between dinner and lunch similar?  I mean Ive seen pics of Beast but not sure if thats dinner only or even at lunch.

Yeah our hotel offers free shuttle to all 4 parks.  My mine thing is from park to park but I guess there are trams, buses and boths for those?
To me the experience wasn't all that different. I've gone a few times but only once to dinner and that was where we took pics with Beast. Keep in mind that the pic with Beast comes AFTER you have eaten your meal and are on the way out of the restaurant.

As for transportation, if you have a bus or tram that takes you from the hotel to the parks then your golden. You can use the monorail or buses to travel to and from each of the parks, no pass or ticket is needed to get on. The only places the monorail doesn't go is Disney Springs or the water parks. If your bus or tram doesn't travel to DS then you'll have to take the bus back to the parks to hitch a ride from your hotel transportation to get back. It's a bit much but since it's a convenience your hotel offers you can't really complain, it beats having to pay for parking everyday.

To me the experience wasn't all that different. I've gone a few times but only once to dinner and that was where we took pics with Beast. Keep in mind that the pic with Beast comes AFTER you have eaten your meal and are on the way out of the restaurant.

As for transportation, if you have a bus or tram that takes you from the hotel to the parks then your golden. You can use the monorail or buses to travel to and from each of the parks, no pass or ticket is needed to get on. The only places the monorail doesn't go is Disney Springs or the water parks. If your bus or tram doesn't travel to DS then you'll have to take the bus back to the parks to hitch a ride from your hotel transportation to get back. It's a bit much but since it's a convenience your hotel offers you can't really complain, it beats having to pay for parking everyday.

Thanks for the info. Yes, the hotel we're staying offers free shuttle to each of the 4 parks. Added bonus is its walking distance from Disney Springs... At least thats what it looks like. Hotel is Buena Vista Palace.

Also thanks for the info for the be our guest. I think Ill just keep both reservations :lol:

Be careful w/ the Park Hopper, you'll spend a decent amount of time traveling from one park to the next. Waterpark and more option is coo though if you want to venture there. And going in June is more than likely peak time so it's gon be crazy packed.

We only went to MK when we went some years ago and from the shuttle to the monorail gate, and to the park entrance from the monorail was at least 30min due to waiting for shuttles and space on the monorail, and we went in April which is less crowded.

Be careful w/ the Park Hopper, you'll spend a decent amount of time traveling from one park to the next. Waterpark and more option is coo though if you want to venture there. And going in June is more than likely peak time so it's gon be crazy packed.

We only went to MK when we went some years ago and from the shuttle to the monorail gate, and to the park entrance from the monorail was at least 30min due to waiting for shuttles and space on the monorail, and we went in April which is less crowded.

Yeah, we'll probably end up spending 3 days at MK then couple days of Epcot and randon magic kingdom or animal kingdom... MK is priority anyway since thats the main one...

Epcot can be done in a day. it is a good spot to get grub since you can get food from all the different county areas. I personally liked animal kingdom and hollywood studios the best. MK is cool too though, especially if you have little ones.

really wish i would have hit up the water parks, but we just focused on all the main parks. next time i guess

Epcot can be done in a day. it is a good spot to get grub since you can get food from all the different county areas. I personally liked animal kingdom and hollywood studios the best. MK is cool too though, especially if you have little ones.

really wish i would have hit up the water parks, but we just focused on all the main parks. next time i guess
Yeah, I got 2 girls so MK is priority 
laugh.gif
  Epcot because of Frozen stuff...  We can probably spend half a day over at Animal Kingdom.  Need to see whats over at Hollywood Studios... 

hope it's not true, I mean as a current AP member it seems like it won't affect me but I am always trying to encourage people to buy AP because of the monthly payment plan

seems like they'll lose plenty of business if they remove that option

RUMOR PATROL – This may be your last week to buy an annual pass with the monthly payment plan option. All signs point to new annual pass pricing rolling out this coming Sunday. The good news is that prices shouldn’t be going up very much and in some cases may even be cheaper than current prices (on renewals). We know the park has been struggling with how to deal with pass holder overcrowding at the resort and payment plans are seen as the main culprit. It’s very likely that the payment plan option will either be completely removed or only remain available for renewals. This is a good time for you to buy that pass or renew . . . just in case.

First they think by raising the prices on APs will curb attendance. Now Disney thinks its the payment options?! Please... :smh:

Yah but I think what Disneys wants to do is spread out the attendance and push some of the attendants to less crowded days and that's why they are doing the different daily rates where it's cheaper on non-peak days.

That first plan makes sense, I am not sure how discouraging people to buy APs account to that though.

Star Wars Land to Open in 2019

Disney is planning something big to mark the conclusion of the current Star Wars trilogy. How big? The size of a theme park.

On a call with investors, Disney CEO Bob Iger on Tuesday revealed that the 14-acre Star Wars Land attraction at Walt Disney World in Orlando will open in 2019, the same year as Star Wars Episode IX, the final chapter in the current "Skywalker Saga" arc of the beloved space opera.

Construction started on the Hollywood Studios attraction last April, following its August 2015 announcement. Until Iger's statement on Tuesday, Disney had remained quiet about the attraction — which will be paired with a similar one in Disneyland Anaheim — beyond the release of concept artwork last summer. While it's still unconfirmed just what the attraction will include, a Disney Parks blog post promised "guests will get the opportunity to pilot the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy" after climbing on board a full-size replica of the Millennium Falcon.

That wasn't the only Star Wars information Iger dropped during Tuesday's call; the exec also revealed that he's already seen Star Wars: The Last Jedi ahead of its December release, telling investors that Rian Johnson's follow-up to 2015's Star Wars: The Force Awakens will be a great next installment to the Skywalker story.

Iger also teased the upcoming Avatar attraction, saying, "This is a very big land with unique design and architecture that really does make you feel like you're in Pandora."

Back
Top Bottom