Dressing better

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

Anybody else in corporate america notice that traditional spread collars are getting phased out?

I swear everyone is doing cutaway collars now.

Point=>Spread=> Cutaway =>??? %#+! just keeps getting wider and wider lol.
BTW for those of you looking for suits, I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU GO THE BESPOKE ROUTE.

If you're in NYC or plan to take a trip there, you can find a lot of bespoke suits for under $600.

Fit>
Whoa There! It's like that in the city? I would expect at least $1,000.

Originally Posted by goldenchild9

Whats kind/brand of shoes are these my good people?
tumblr_lqi7t55W2Z1qjj16no1_500.png
Vans Chukka Decon CA - $75

http://www.ubiqlife.com/ProductList.aspx?brandID=38

got encouraged to do some thrifting from one of the common posters, found a hickey freeman chambray for 5 bills and it is
eek.gif
http://www.ebay.com/itm/M...irts&hash=item4841ade0ac

also, i will be fully tailoring a traditionally cut suit into a contemporary cut. ill be posting a full breakdown of every alteration that was made to the suit (including some tips and measurements for those who are wanting some pointers on tailoring), and provide some pics.

I'm going to a party next weekend down in Miami. The dress code is "dress to impress.  no sneakers."  Whats something besides a simple button up I can wear in the heat?

Originally Posted by aceofjays

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

Anybody else in corporate america notice that traditional spread collars are getting phased out?

I swear everyone is doing cutaway collars now.

Point=>Spread=> Cutaway =>??? %#+! just keeps getting wider and wider lol.
BTW for those of you looking for suits, I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU GO THE BESPOKE ROUTE.

If you're in NYC or plan to take a trip there, you can find a lot of bespoke suits for under $600.

Fit>
Whoa There! It's like that in the city? I would expect at least $1,000.

he probably meant MTM

NT, put me on to some comfy, low profile low top sneakers

i've been wearing converse all stars pretty much exclusively for about 2 years now and i think i'm ready for some change
*edit*

answered my own question...

thoughts on these

6219-773436-d.jpg

1398572-p-DETAILED.jpg

Aight my NT brethren. Been lurking in this thread for a long time (currently trying to get my weight down so I can join the well dressed here), but I am in need of assistance.
My cousin came to me asking for something similar to this style.

304532_10100488493931101_6012421_56600194_1826149_n.jpg

I did my research. Found the brand. But they didn't have the color combo he was looking for which was Brown/Khaki with a Navy accent. Could someone point me in the right direction a similar shoe, these are pretty much oxfords right?, in a brown/khaki with navy accent colorway? I appreciate the time and effort.

I know there are a lot of sales going on, don't get caught up in purchasing summer and spring items unless it is just an amazing can't say no deal. Use that money to purchase quality not quantity.

1. [h2]mrporter.com: The classic items every man should own for autumn/winter[/h2]
    The Essentials[h3]Grey Suit[/h3]
    Of course, anyone who wears a suit regularly will also need a grey suit – pale grey is a stylish choice. In winter it's nice to display a little texture, so look out for fabrics such as sharkskin and flannel. Although the dominant cut remains lean, do remember that it's better to prioritise flattering over trendy.

2. -

[h3]White Business Shirts[/h3]
    White remains the go-to colour for dress shirts because of its easy versatility. A drawer full of white shirts bypasses one of the key decisions that must be made while dressing for the day, and if the impetus in the morning is convenience, the reason to wear one at night is that they're more formal than any other colour of shirt. Bear in mind that the more distinctive the shirt the more thought that will need to go into choosing which tie to wear with it.

3. -

[h3]V Neck Sweater[/h3]
    A classic sweater that is, despite its popularity, a challenge to wear well. The key is to keep the look youthful – a baggy V neck is very ageing – with a slim cut. Sleeveless V necks (tank tops) are an excellent way to add an insulating layer under a suit.

4. -

[h3]Dark Overcoat[/h3]
    Even in these overheated times, every man needs a coat to wear over a suit. The most versatile choice is a slim-fitting, single-breasted wool or cashmere overcoat. Most coats are now cut to hit the knee, or even finish on the thigh.

5. -

[h3]Velvet Jacket[/h3]
    In recent years the velvet jacket has regained its place on the list of essentials. Originally designed to be worn at home in the evening, it's now a way to dress up for dinner with an élan that eludes the lounge suit, but without the formality of a dinner jacket.

6. -

[h3]Dinner Jacket[/h3]
    While this is the most formal outfit most of us wear anymore (the only exception being the morning suits British people wear to smart weddings) a tuxedo should feel comfortable. After all, you need to be able to party in it. Keep the details restrained – traditionally the jackets don't even have pocket flaps or vents – and focus on the fit.

7. -

[h3]Grey Wool Trousers[/h3]
    The potential of these classic trousers is revealed, as with so much in menswear, by sharply dressed Italian guys who combine close-fitting, light-grey trousers with white shirts, navy ties and slim single-breasted blazers to impressive effect.

8. -

[h3]Cardigan[/h3]
    This vital bit of winter kit can take the form of a rollneck or a cardigan but either way it should be thick enough to constitute outer wear until the temperature really drops, when it will look rugged under a pea coat or a goose down jacket.

9. -

[h3]Blue Suit[/h3]
    If you only own one suit, make it a blue suit. And if you only own five suits make at least two of them blue. They work with white, pink and pale blue shirts, as well as with burgundy, navy, black, brown and yellow ties. And they speak of sobriety, trustworthiness and reliability, which is why politicians favour them.

10. -

[h3]Camel Overcoat[/h3]
    Camel is a great colour for the second overcoat you buy. It looks superb against a blue suit, and equally good worn with blue jeans and tan brogues. As with any overcoat, go for the slimmest cut that's comfortable – and note that while camel coats were once made of camel hair, many are now made of regular wool.

11. -

[h3]Rollneck[/h3]
    The difference between thin rollnecks and chunky ones is almost spiritual. The thin ones, which are made from fine-gauge merino wool, can look good worn under a suit in the evening, although some thought will need to be given to how the colours are combined. The chunky ones, however, have a quite different feel, speaking of rugged outdoor activities, even when made from soft cashmere.

12. -

[h3]Blazer[/h3]
    The blazer is relevant every season, but one way to refresh it this autumn is to go for an unstructured version with the feel of a cardigan. This might constitute a break with tradition – given the navy blazer's military origins – but it'll be far more comfortable and give a more relaxed impression.

13. -

[h3]Navy Chinos[/h3]
    A useful alternative to jeans, although they're actually more versatile by virtue of being smarter, navy chinos work as well for a dressed-down day in the office (when there's no danger of seeing clients) as they do at the weekend.

14. -

[h3]Chambray Weekend Shirts[/h3]
    The inherent informality (they were originally designed to be worn by polo players) of the button-down shirt makes them the default setting for the weekend, although it should still fit just as well as your business shirts. However, the more interesting choices this autumn include plaid shirts, and workwear-inspired denim or chambray versions.

15. -

[h3]Corduroy[/h3]
    The cord used by labels such as Hentsch Man, Bottega Veneta and Marni represents a nod toward the rus in urbe style that tweed also embodies. Cords are always informal and comfortable but need to be in a slim cut, and –particularly this autumn – a bright colour, to avoid looking shapeless and middle aged. A.P.C. is another brand showing the way.

16. -

[h3]Levi's Vintage Jeans[/h3]
    Is there a man alive who doesn't own a pair of jeans (apart, possibly, from HRH Prince Charles)? Even renowned dandies wear them, if only for the purpose for which they were intended – to perform manual labour. However, grown-ups keen to retain their dignity will go for dark, authentically styled jeans that walk the line between historical accuracy and flattery. A modest taper feels appropriate right now.

17. -

[h3]Pyjamas[/h3]
    They might seem old-fashioned, but in winter the warmth they afford is likely to be useful, and at any time of year they're the most elegant thing a man can pad about his home in. Throw in the fact that wearing pyjamas means never again having to answer the door in your underwear and you'll wonder how you lived without them.

18. -

[h3]Robe[/h3]
    A luxurious robe adds a new dimension to lazy Sunday breakfasts – although for this to work best you'll need to have stocked up on supplies the day before. And in addition they're a godsend when staying with friends, transforming the long walk from your bedroom to the bathroom from a surreptitious jog to a leisurely stroll. Add velvet slippers to complete the look and bear in mind that bathrobes, while ostensibly similar, aren't interchangeable with smart robes.

19. -

[h3]Black Lace Ups[/h3]
    A pair of well-maintained black lace-up shoes are the smartest shoes a man needs – pick the right ones and they'll even be faultless with a dinner jacket. They're simply never wrong with a lounge suit, whether it's navy blue, grey or dark for eveningwear. The simpler the design the more formal they seem.

20. -

[h3]Brown Lace Ups[/h3]
    Dark brown lace-ups represent a tiny step beyond strict sartorial guidelines – pedants still insist on the old adage “no brown in town

Originally Posted by YuraS718

^I like those a lot, what brand are those? I love that color combo.

TSUBO. in the picture they look amazing but the side profile on their website make em look 
grin.gif

Originally Posted by That Kid Daniel

any dope brands at Nordstroms? I have a 20% discount there and I decided I should take advantage.
pimp.gif
You work there? Or have a temp discount? Either way, never buy anything full price at Nordstrom (or any department store, really) except for denim, sweaters and overcoats, all three of which I consider "investment pieces." Drop a little extra dough on those items and they'll last forever. Everything else goes on sale eventually, unless it's some regular item, like some Gucci polos, and is worth waiting for.

Also, Nordstrom just changed their online shipping policy: FREE shipping on all orders. No more $200 minimum spend.

What brands Nordstroms carry depends on the location. The Nordstrom in my area now carries great brands like Dries Van Noten, Jil Sander, Spurr, Givenchy, Gucci, etc... While in other locations, Lacoste is the best brand they carry.

I'm looking to get some simple navy blue shorts that I can wear with a short sleeve button down or just a nice white tee. Any suggestions or brands I should look for or avoid? Thanks in advance.

Nordstrom Rack is having a Clear the Rack sale now - next Monday I believe...I went and checked it at one of the locations near me...not worth it, but other stores may be worth it.

Back
Top Bottom