Eddie Murphy greatest comic ever.

some other great ones, but not the best, in some sort of order:

Rodney Dangerfield {No Respect - 1980, rapid fire Rondey at his best if you can't sit through Richard's genius}
Eddie Murphy, Jerry Seinfeld, Sam Kinison, George Carlin, Bill Hicks, Steven Wright

He started that family movie crap cause he wanted a change. Like Chris tucker after he did Friday and money talks

He had kids. That's what changed him. He started making movies with that audience in mind.

awwwwwww :rolleyes
i'm outta here. idk why i thought we could just be in here an appreciate and laugh at Ed w/out arguments about who's funnier and blah blah blah.

awwwwwww
eyes.gif

i'm outta here. idk why i thought we could just be in here an appreciate and laugh at Ed w/out arguments about who's funnier and blah blah blah.
When the title of the thread is "Eddie Murphy greatest comic ever." it's going to bring discussion about who is funnier.

Don't be so sensitive. 

i remember the first time i saw delirious i was crying... then when he got to the part of the ice cream man i was like wait a minute i've heard this line before...

wu tang knows whats up. lol @ "can i have some moneyyyyyyyyyy!!! the ice cream man is comin!!!!!!"

I appreciate Eddie but you gotta be deluded to think you wouldn't get an argument in this thread with this title. It's obviously not just an appreciation thread. It's a bold as statement. Coming in here I knew from the jump this was due to One Night Only.

Eddie didn't bring Martin in the game. Watch his segment, he said he was inspired by him, motivated and got on his game. He didn't bring him in to acting or stand-up.

Anyway Eddie was amongst the greatest at his prime with stand-up. Has a right to be arrogant. I'd say better than Pryor in that category but imo Pryor in his prime in movies is the pinnacle. The overall quality of all them is crazy. Eddie has a grip of classics but to me once the Nutty Professor stuff started (which is good don't get me wrong but just good) there was this gradual drop in quality off and on where he fell off hard as hell and was just making money off his name with crap so you'd get something like Beverly Hills Cop 3 and down the line Norbit.

I appreciate Eddie but you gotta be deluded to think you wouldn't get an argument in this thread with this title. It's obviously not just an appreciation thread. It's a bold as statement. Coming in here I knew from the jump this was due to One Night Only.
Eddie didn't bring Martin in the game. Watch his segment, he said he was inspired by him, motivated and got on his game. He didn't bring him in to acting or stand-up.
Anyway Eddie was amongst the greatest at his prime with stand-up. Has a right to be arrogant. I'd say better than Pryor in that category but imo Pryor in his prime in movies is the pinnacle. The overall quality of all them is crazy. Eddie has a grip of classics but to me once the Nutty Professor stuff started (which is good don't get me wrong but just good) there was this gradual drop in quality off and on where he fell off hard as hell and was just making money off his name with crap so you'd get something like Beverly Hills Cop 3 and down the line Norbit.
  Not saying he brought him in since he was in House Party, but Eddie damn sure put Martin in Boomerang before anybody knew who he was. 

For me, it doesn't get any better than Delirious.  I still hold all stand-up routines up to that one.

Peace,

J

Last edited:

Thats the thing. That's why I'm not all the way sold on Richard Pryor. As a kid I saw his movies firrst even before I knew that he did stand up...and the movies where never that good to me. Say what you want about eddie and post nutty proffesor but his movies are absolute classics.

48 HRS Series, Beverly Hills cop 1,2, and 3 (word to wonderworld!!!), boomerang, distinguished gentleman, coming to america trading places, life (such a slept on movie), holy man was pretty tight asd well.

And yes Eddie put people on...Martin blew up cause of the looks that Eddie gave him, he obviously did not make him but he gave him that cosign.

Last edited:
Even Eddie Murphy will tell Ricard Pryor was the better comedian.

Eddie had better movies, doe....

Thats the thing. That's why I'm not all the way sold on Richard Pryor. As a kid I saw his movies firrst even before I knew that he did stand up...and the movies where never that good to me. Say what you want about eddie and post nutty proffesor but his movies are absolute classics.

48 HRS Series, Beverly Hills cop 1,2, and 3 (word to wonderworld!!!), boomerang, distinguished gentleman, coming to america trading places, life (such a slept on movie), holy man was pretty tight asd well.

And yes Eddie put people on...Martin blew up cause of the looks that Eddie gave him, he obviously did not make him but he gave him that cosign.
Exactly and overall id still give the edge to eddie... pryor as far as standup hands down. but overall catalog then eddie. martin outside of def comedy jam, and basically one great standup, a good one and followed by a bunch of subpar suck ones.... um no. martin greatest feat was his show and the bad boys series... After that it pretty much is subpar, with the exception of the first big momma, and life. And life wasnt excatly his movie. Martin was good no doubt. but for ppl to knock some of eddies moves and movies... lets not overlook martins whats happenin roles, black knight etc... house party etc...he had a few swing and misses himself. At least eddies so called misses did reatively well as far as mass appeal.

And while i like jerry seinfield, tim allen etc... they lets be honest didnt have much of a diverse audience. To say someone is the best of best, i would think you would have to have a diversity/crossover mass appeal to a variety of ppl.

awwwwwww
eyes.gif

dude posted 8 straight vids of Richard Pryor....
So what... we're complaining about 8 videos of Richard Pryor? Oh no, someone posted videos of one of the funniest comedians of all-time. How terrible.

The thread title invited comparison and discussion... it's not a problem or a big deal, but don't complain because people disagreed. 

Eddie's movies are better than Pryor's. But Eddie the actor isn't the same as Eddie the comic. When it comes to stand-up it's Pryor over Eddie for me.

When the title of the thread is "Eddie Murphy greatest comic ever." it's going to bring discussion about who is funnier.

Don't be so sensitive. 
i figured it was titled that because of the spike special i'm not being sensitive. i'm not crying about it. it's just annoying.

Even Eddie Murphy will tell Ricard Pryor was the better comedian.
Eddie had better movies, doe....
this never really means anything.
i bet Michael Jackson might have tried to tell you James Brown was the better entertainer. so....he wasn't. MJ was. Mentees will always look up to and often times not feel as good as the mentor.

Eddie that dude to me

Watched Coming to America twice since it was put on Netflix.

also bout to watch Golden Child

One of the best ever and maybe the greatest at his prime but he just wasn't able to maintain it

So that whole decade where he was killing **** and the fact that he's still active now is what you would consider not "able to maintain it"?

Stop it.

He's easily my favorite comic and certainly an all time great. His level of success from comedian and then to actor is astounding.

And son put a record out once!

But the whole "greatest ever" thing is always ridiculous to me. Pryor, Redd Foxx, Carlin, and I'm sure many more would be in play.

Not sure about Martin, but Eddie put Chris Rock on. He's the parking lot attendant in Beverly Hills Cop 2.

Eddie is defintely that dude in terms of stand up Chapelle and Martin right there with him tho

Martin's movies are funnier than Eddie's tho

Coming To America is classic

Back
Top Bottom