Eddie Murphy greatest comic ever.

Greatest comic, I believe he is. Pryor was a far better stand-up comedian but Eddies overall greatness craps all over Pryor.

SNL,
Delirious
Raw
Coming to America
Beverly Hills Cop
48 hours
Trading Places
Shrek

It's like comparing Kobe Bryant (Murphy) to Tracy Mcgrady (Pryor), 1 dude constantly got it done and the other had brilliant flashes and a ton of what-ifs.

sorry for taking it there, I'm tired as hell :rofl:

Terrible comparison is terrible.

P4L
Raw is my all time fave especially stories about his dad. Never really checked out Richard tho. He was before my time.

Sure he gets props for his specials and his career, but lets face it - he's a massive hack now. He's simply unfunny now. He writes awful movies. You don't lose funny. The man simply was killing it because he was the 80's personified for comedy, not because his material was light years ahead of everyone like Pryor, Carlin or even Rock. Smh @ baseless assumptions like every comic says Eddie was "that dude". Only the dudes he put on say that.
Attell has been putting out HILARIOUS specials for the last 15-20 years. The dude's whole persona has been stolen 100 times by other comedians. He's a comic's comic. There's a reason why he'd go to the comedy cellar and dudes like Louis, Rock and Patrice would come in on their off nights just to see him perform.
Hell, I'd listen to Doug Stanhope's catologue over Eddy's in a heart beat. Eddy wasn't really saying much on stage. He's a poor man's Richard Pryor.
Who gives a damn if he was on SNL. Attell wrote for SNL. Jay Mohr wrote for SNL. Most notable NYC comics have written for the show. Its just a line on a resume.
I have more respect for a guy who's been on the road for 20 years with 15+ hours of funny material vs a dude with two specials who became a hack.
im pretty sure he cant really do what he wants material wise...he is not corny at all, im pretty sure dude will still roast ya if he had to but the studios and also his people dont want him to lose that family appeal..the same ish chris rock is doing, why risk millions to show people you're still funny? hes a damn comedian, dude started doing who knows how many gigs a night, you gotta respect this mans hustle and his catalog..you cant tell me them specials with the funny leather outfits aint funny..jay mohr is not funny at all and who cares about attell dude seems real bitter he cant get gigs in movies and still has to do gigs to put food on the table..

im pretty sure he cant really do what he wants material wise...he is not corny at all, im pretty sure dude will still roast ya if he had to but the studios and also his people dont want him to lose that family appeal..the same ish chris rock is doing, why risk millions to show people you're still funny? hes a damn comedian, dude started doing who knows how many gigs a night, you gotta respect this mans hustle and his catalog..you cant tell me them specials with the funny leather outfits aint funny..jay mohr is not funny at all and who cares about attell dude seems real bitter he cant get gigs in movies and still has to do gigs to put food on the table..
exactly i hate when ppl make failure/shortcommings and keepin it real synonymous. I respect attell etc and others like him but trust me these dudes didnt get in the biz just to be c level comedians and work small venues forever. They want to big megastars... they wish they had the success that murphy has seen. But with that and being under the spotlight also means constantly being under the microscope. Eddie knows this, and with the way personal/private life etc is pretty much exposed in matter of momenst via twitter/facebook/tmz etc... he cant afford to be the old eddie, and he cant use materia, tell jokes etc... that he once did. I mean really what do folks think would happen if one minute he is on the red carpet with his family portraying he is this mild manner loving family man... promoting some new movie to family/kids... or out on the orange carpet at the nick teen awards... then some viral video pops up with him doing a updated new version of raw...

It would essentially ruin his career, in terms of the family tv/movie industry. And he doesnt want to risk it. I mean i could see if these dudes where at some point in time at any time in a situation like dave chappelle, and choose not to go that route/discontinue to head in that direction, because they feel they dont want to compromise their art/craft... But alot of the aforemention guys never whiffed at any opportunity at any point of their respective careers.

If your funny simply put you just are... its not like sports where your talents can dimish do to age or your body deteriating, the only way you can so call potential fall off i the comedy world is if, in this microwave generation, is if something/someone new is forced down your throat by the media and the masses eat it up. That or in many instances they just like drive,have some psychological meltdown/breakdown... or something happens that significantly changes your outlook on life.

Eddie Murphy is one of the best to do it but don't y'all forget Bernie Mac!!

Came in here to say this same got damn thaing.

I wish I was able to watch Bernie Mac do his thing in Chicago before he blew up. He was an all around entertainer.

I don't doubt eddie is one of the greatest comics ever but to say this person is greater than that person is foolish....Just stick to top 5 lists iyo.

:lol:@the guy who suggested Arnez J,come on now.

Eddie Murphy is one of the best to do it but don't y'all forget Bernie Mac!!
I like Bernie Mac and what he did,he will be remembered.But what about Robin Harris who was on the rise before his untimely death.Bebe's kids spawned alot of comedians to make jokes about bad kids,some have even went as far as to repeat his joke with minor changes.

:smokin Eddie Murphy was behind one of the best movies ever to be made,that probably was the first movie to have so much black talent that span across five generation in one film,Harlem Knights.

I forgot how funny this other eddie was:

Greatest comic, I believe he is. Pryor was a far better stand-up comedian but Eddies overall greatness craps all over Pryor.

SNL,
Delirious
Raw
Coming to America
Beverly Hills Cop
48 hours
Trading Places
Shrek

It's like comparing Kobe Bryant (Murphy) to Tracy Mcgrady (Pryor), 1 dude constantly got it done and the other had brilliant flashes and a ton of what-ifs.

:smh: :stoneface: My son called Richard Pryor the Tracy McGrady of comedy.

Reported.

SNL,
Delirious
Raw
Coming to America
Beverly Hills Cop
48 hours
Trading Places
Shrek

:lol: Yeah I dont know about that one. Probably Dr.J (Pryor) to MJ (Eddie)

Last edited:

SNL,
Delirious
Raw
Coming to America
Beverly Hills Cop
48 hours
Trading Places
Shrek

:lol: Yeah I dont know about that one. Probably Dr.J (Pryor) to MJ (Eddie)

Dr. J to MJ is a spot on comparison, I was just talkin out my *** because I was tired :rofl: :rofl:

Eddie Murphy hasnt done stand up comedy in over 25 years. Dude is not a great comedian. He's a movie star but I'd rather keep it real and listen to Chris Rock on stage before Eddie any day.

Back
Top Bottom