engagement /marriage thread.

^ I'm just like you bruh. My friends are getting married left and right as well, but Im still chilling. Reading through this thread got me thinking, am I really bout that married life?

At 26yo, I personally don't think marriage is for me.
But then Fozz Fozz tells me it only takes that 1 shorty to change it all.

:lol:

I don't get the love for the independent jewelers... I've worked in Jewelry for a major retailer for the past 6 years (half of which have been in management), and in my experience, my best advice is, shop during the off seasons (summertime is dead, we have more random deals pop up in the summer than the bigger deals around holidays. Learn to combine general 20% off sales with promotional offers like reward certs. As far as ring shopping goes... just go into a store with her and find out what she likes if she doesn't already have a pintrest account with a million pictures of rings on it. Not all women even want a diamond as their center stone, which will save you a lot and invest more into the mounting. Just keep in mind, most other gemstones are more fragile than diamonds, and most women will beat that ring up at one point or another, which brings me to the importance of getting the ring regularly inspected, especially if that's part of the warranty. I can't tell you how many diamonds we've replaced in 6 years, many of them were quite large and expensive. Don't be one of those guys who likes to go into a store and raise hell because she hasn't came in for the past 5 years to have the ring inspected and she finally loses her center diamond because half of the prongs look like Woody Wood Pecker got to them.

At 26yo, I personally don't think marriage is for me.
But then Fozz Fozz tells me it only takes that 1 shorty to change it all.

:lol:
Hey, bro. I believe it’ll happen to you when the time is right. And when it does, I’d like an invite to your wedding to tell you that “I told you so”. Haha

If you're questioning it then you are not ready. There is nothing wrong with taking your time but don't fight it if you meet someone that you can see yourself being with.

1 week out until my wedding.

The women in my family haven't been supportive (mostly because of jealousy and control) of the marriage and I has really been bumming me out since the engagement.

But the universe has been sending me signs of support today.

This morning the pastor that goes to my gym that is also a marriage counselor and gave me a personalized packet(because I'm not Christian) with his book and other items to work on throughout the journey.

When I turned on the radio this morning on my way to work the first song that played was Jagged Edge-Lets get married. I think the song is cheesy but it was nice to hear a week out from the wedding.

My co-workers also surprised me with a card and gift to celebrate the wedding.

I might vlog the wedding and honeymoon just because my fiance is into that kind of stuff and I think it will be cool. I will definitely keep NT post if I post it on youtube of ig.

Random, but anyone recommend an online place for wedding invitations, besides Minted or the knot? We were originally going to do one overseas, but looks like there'd be an issue with getting it done by our deadline.

Random, but anyone recommend an online place for wedding invitations, besides Minted or the knot? We were originally going to do one overseas, but looks like there'd be an issue with getting it done by our deadline.

Do you two have time to make the invitations yourself? We did minted knot because my fiance's godmother paid for it but she originally planned to just make them just like she saw on youtube.

Do you two have time to make the invitations yourself? We did minted knot because my fiance's godmother paid for it but she originally planned to just make them just like she saw on youtube.

We thought about it, but gotta figure if the money saved is worth the time it'll take to do them.

1 week out until my wedding.

The women in my family haven't been supportive (mostly because of jealousy and control) of the marriage and I has really been bumming me out since the engagement.
What have the women been doing? Jealous of WHAT?

So nice to see that some of y'all still believe in marriage and take the time and do research to find the perfect ring. IM one of those that knows the style of ring i want. Now i could care less as long as my man picked it out . the only thing i ask is that my damn nails are on point when the time comes LOL

What have the women been doing? Jealous of WHAT?

To keep a long story relatively short, everyone except my mother is extended family. We were somewhat adopted by the family when I was 7. Since I was a child, I was expected to work harder and do more than anyone else in the family and for the the family. I was somewhat of a stepchild and a punching bag at times but there was love and support and the areas of my life that would benefit them.

I managed to make something of myself and create a good distance to live my life and support the family as needed. I became the go to male figure for helping the women and I also developed a mentoring program for the children in the family and religious community(fizzled out after 5 years due to lack of support but got close to my fiance through the program).

They were always cool with me dating women that they could control/intimidate but my fiance isn't that type of woman. So basically they are not with the marriage. Many of them didn't congratulate us on the engagement and didn't want to do anything to celebrate. Some also didn't send the RSVP's back at a reasonable time. Yet my family has celebrated my cousins recent pregnancy out of wedlock, my ex having a baby with some washed dude(no disrespect to homie but he's just very washed) and will support anyone coming into the religion with what seems like anything but wouldn't support me for my achievements like graduating college, PE license and now getting married. My fiance has seen how they have disrespected me in the past as an adult and basically isn't with banging with them neither after how this engagement went down.

They are very good people and are trying to get better with how they treat people but because the family is primarily a matriarchy (most women are unmarried and single) of women with a grudge against men, they aren't very supportive of the men in the family. They are jealous because basically I'm being completely removed as the man in their lives to focus on my own family. It could've been avoided but they recently drew that line in the sand and is probably better for me in the long run.

They were always cool with me dating women that they could control/intimidate but my fiance isn't that type of woman. So basically they are not with the marriage.

They are jealous because basically I'm being completely removed as the man in their lives to focus on my own family. .

Key points here.

Makes complete sense now.

Do your thing man.

To keep a long story relatively short, everyone except my mother is extended family. We were somewhat adopted by the family when I was 7. Since I was a child, I was expected to work harder and do more than anyone else in the family and for the the family. I was somewhat of a stepchild and a punching bag at times but there was love and support and the areas of my life that would benefit them.

I managed to make something of myself and create a good distance to live my life and support the family as needed. I became the go to male figure for helping the women and I also developed a mentoring program for the children in the family and religious community(fizzled out after 5 years due to lack of support but got close to my fiance through the program).

They were always cool with me dating women that they could control/intimidate but my fiance isn't that type of woman. So basically they are not with the marriage. Many of them didn't congratulate us on the engagement and didn't want to do anything to celebrate. Some also didn't send the RSVP's back at a reasonable time. Yet my family has celebrated my cousins recent pregnancy out of wedlock, my ex having a baby with some washed dude(no disrespect to homie but he's just very washed) and will support anyone coming into the religion with what seems like anything but wouldn't support me for my achievements like graduating college, PE license and now getting married. My fiance has seen how they have disrespected me in the past as an adult and basically isn't with banging with them neither after how this engagement went down.

They are very good people and are trying to get better with how they treat people but because the family is primarily a matriarchy (most women are unmarried and single) of women with a grudge against men, they aren't very supportive of the men in the family. They are jealous because basically I'm being completely removed as the man in their lives to focus on my own family. It could've been avoided but they recently drew that line in the sand and is probably better for me in the long run.
I think it would be best to speak with the people in your family stressing you out. Your wedding day is you and your soon-to-be wife's special day. Sure stress comes leading up to the wedding, but if you've been stressed the entire time and the source of it is from your family, they need to understand that it's not about them. It's about you and your fiance. And if they have an issue, they can go kick rocks.

I stood up to my father-in-law who tried to overtake our plans and told him that he's not getting anything he wants because it isn't his wedding and the event wasn't about him.

Sorry to hear you've had to deal with these issues with your family.

I think it would be best to speak with the people in your family stressing you out. Your wedding day is you and your soon-to-be wife's special day. Sure stress comes leading up to the wedding, but if you've been stressed the entire time and the source of it is from your family, they need to understand that it's not about them. It's about you and your fiance. And if they have an issue, they can go kick rocks.

I stood up to my father-in-law who tried to overtake our plans and told him that he's not getting anything he wants because it isn't his wedding and the event wasn't about him.

Sorry to hear you've had to deal with these issues with your family.

Thanks bro.

I actually did begin to speak to everyone individually about the issues. Each one of them started to to complain about what they didn't like about my fiance or complaining that they wanted us to throw a reception despite the fact that we didn't want to for other personal reasons. So now we are at the telling them to kick rocks stage. The situation really hurt me but I know its for the better in the long run.

Thanks bro.

I actually did begin to speak to everyone individually about the issues. Each one of them started to to complain about what they didn't like about my fiance or complaining that they wanted us to throw a reception despite the fact that we didn't want to for other personal reasons. So now we are at the telling them to kick rocks stage. The situation really hurt me but I know its for the better in the long run.
It will be. I know how frustrating it can get when there are too many people trying to suggest things. Support your fiance and remind her you're by her side during the planning and move forward. No need for you to dwell on this issue any longer.

My girlfriend and I had a serious discussion last November and decided that marriage is what we wanted to do in 2018. Afterward, we began planning things like funds, living arrangements and wedding details. Over the Christmas holiday I took her to a Blue Nile store so that she could see the ring that she'd already picked out and confirm that it's what she wanted.

In February I bought the ring and this past Friday I proposed to her during a photoshoot that I planned for us. I planned the photoshoot for 3 reasons. The first was because we needed engagement photos for our save the date cards and registry/website. Second was because I needed someone professional to capture the proposal because she said that she didn't want it to be in front of family or a big group. Third reason was to introduce her to my photographer friend's work as an option for our wedding. It all worked out as he captured her genuine surprise when she turned around to me on my knee with the ring that she picked out.

Also, we've been in premarital counseling since February and it's been awesome. It's 5 sessions that gave us a practical biblical foundation for marriage and will either confirm that this is what you want to do or make you realize that you can't live up to these roles and responsibilities for THIS person.

Question.

All seriousness.

"Can" you propose to a girl in 2018 and it NOT be recorded?

It seems like everyone records the proposals in 2018

If you need a cheaper photographer peep craigslist for college students. That how got ours on the cheap

Another thing that sound crazy is ordering flowers through someone who is a funeral director they get them cheaper.

I was watching the news and it had a story about how people of a wedding party actually spend hundreds a lot of money themselves.

I’m gonna be a groomsman and now thinking about I gotta spend money to rent or buy a tux, the bachelor party and strippers, plus a wedding gift. Also got a couple other weddings coming up and one is a destination wedding.

I was watching the news and it had a story about how people of a wedding party actually spend hundreds a lot of money themselves.

I’m gonna be a groomsman and now thinking about I gotta spend money to rent or buy a tux, the bachelor party and strippers, plus a wedding gift. Also got a couple other weddings coming up and one is a destination wedding.

I've been a groomsmen for a few weddings and it definitely adds up. Now that things are the other way around (me being the groom), I'll try to make their expenses minimal, but also making the future bride happy. Minus my own, I'm attending 7 weddings this year, with 2 requiring me to buy plane tickets.

Yeah, it's expensive to be a Groomsmen too.

I knew some of my groomsmen aren't NT Ballers, so we went to Skeet Shooting (lol) and got dinner and drinks afterwards.

I didn't have a need a desire to do Vegas. I past that phase. IMO, I told them all I wanted to do was lounge in the nude pool and they were like 'nah' :rofl:

I wish some of my friends were happy with just skeet shooting and dinner. Went to Vegas last year but lucky my friend knew someone and got discounts.

Photos are a must for a proposal. If you can get someone to get video of it too, that would be nice to have unless she says no.

Back
Top Bottom