Footlocker Rant / Question

I just want to rant / put this story out to see if anyone has experience the same. About a 6 weeks ago I bought the Penny IIs from Footlocker in North Park mall in Dallas Texas. I was in kinda a hurry so didn't really look them over. The next day I open the to inspect the shoe and the quality was .... well that another story. So I decide to return them and get my money back. The next day ( 4-5 days after purchasing) I head to Foot Locker in Vista Ridge Mall located in Lewisville, Tx. When I walk in there a few employees just hanging out behind the register, I walk over and tell them I'd like to return the shoes. Conversation as follows:

me: "I'd like to return these shoes"

him: "how did you buy them"

me: "debit card"

him: "credit card machines are broke, can't do it"

me: "can you give me cash since it was debit"

him: "nah"

me: "how long until they are fixed" (it was about 7:40 and they closed at 9)

him: "**** ..... maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow. Just come back whenever"

I know he's lying so I just kinda give him a blank stare and leave. The next day I stop at GrapeVine Mills mall in Grapevine, Tx. Dude named ... Keith (yeah, Keith) is there hangout on a rack of close on his phone. Conversation:

him: "need something"

me: "yeah, want to return these shoes"

him: "can't do it ...."

me: "huh, why not?"

him: "ain't no cash in the register"

me: "wait, y'all open and you ain’t got any cash in the register"

him "nah ..... " 

him: goes back to messing with his phone

me: "well good thing I bought these with a card then"

him: **** off stare .....

him: "where'd you buy them"

me: "Northpark Dallas"

him: "thats a house of hoops, can't return a house of hoops"

me: "you can. still a footlocker, says footlocker on the receipt"

him: frustrated says "I can try, probably wont be able to ......."

starts to walk toward the back so I follow him

I put the shoes out the counter and hand him my receipt. He, amazingly, is able to do the return, but he's clearly no happy about it. He has me sign and I walk off. He shouts "You're welcome". Im kinda a smart *** so I said "didn't say thank you ...". He says something under his breath so I ask for his name and he gives me his full first and last name, loudly and I just walk out. 

I just want to put this story out there. Something is going on at Foot Locker in North Texas, two different stores, lies and attitude. I tried to contact corporate, nothing. I talked to a manager at another store, but they just gave me the general customer service number and told me thats all they could do. Anyone experience the same anywhere else? Is it a corporate thing to try not to let customers return stuff

Some of these employees act like the money in the register belongs to them and you returning a pair of shoes is hurting them.

I know managers have sales goals and all so possibly a return might affect that. But that doesn't give them a green light to deny company policy in hopes off getting a bonus from sales goals.

Bottom line is corporate type stores like foot locker are supposed to have very lenient return policies. Customers like shopping at places where they can feel comfortable returning/exchanging an item if it didn't work out for them. It's a good policy as long as customers don't abuse it.

In the employees case, they know the company has lenient return/exchange policies. If it bothers them that much perhaps they should consider working at a mom/pop spot or a swap meet sneaker spot where all sales tend to be final the most you can do is an exchange within 7 days.

It's an inconvenience when employees try to make up their own rules. You took time out of your day to commute to the store because based off what it said on the receipt, you're allowed to return the item with no hassle. It's a bad look when employees look for every possible reason to deny the return and waste your time in the process.

Footlocker is a shady business, they don't want to take your returns because it hurts their inventory and bottom line

I had an issue returning a pair of Adidas Tubulars, bought them online and stores wouldn't take my return, I RARELY will ever buy from them

I think it's moreso them hiring shady employees. The policy on the receipt says you're entitled to a return if the item is unworn and you have the receipt.

Footlocker corporate intends for the policy to be honored but the employees they hire sometimes tend to make their own rules up.

Lol i used to work at a footlocker and the head manager was a blood and sold weed and X.

Like ALOT.

Damn, I had no issues returning the platinum foams a week and a half ago. bought them online returned at store. Dudes were mad chill. I think you should probably leave those feedback surveys from the back of the receipt.

It really all depends on the employee. Some are just there to their job, get their check and go home and rather avoid unnecessary confrontation. They'll just follow the policy on the receipt, do the return and let you go on your way.

Some think you returning in item is taking money out of their pockets and turn what should be a simple transaction into something it doesn't need to be. Really all depends on the employee you get.

Returning shoes to footlocker online is even worse. I got a pair of shoes from there website and didn't have a return shipping label in the box.

I spent my own money to send back and took a month to get the return, the shoes took 3 days to get to their P.o box and 28 days for them to process the return. Then they didn't refund the shipping I paid out of pocket because I didn't use the return shipping label I never got...

Returning shoes to footlocker online is even worse. I got a pair of shoes from there website and didn't have a return shipping label in the box.

I spent my own money to send back and took a month to get the return, the shoes took 3 days to get to their P.o box and 28 days for them to process the return. Then they didn't refund the shipping I paid out of pocket because I didn't use the return shipping label I never got...

believe me, this is why I won't ever order off Foot Locker again

wait times to talk to someone are at least 10 minutes, the reps are dumb as rocks, I had to file a dispute with AMEX to get my damn money back

manager was like "don't file a dispute, it might hurt future orders" I told that dumb *** I won't be ordering from them again so I don't care

For future reference, pay with a cc and if you have any issues dispute the charge with your bank. I had someone giving me a hard time on a return. Once I disputed the charge I had 3 different people call me in one day trying to process my refund lol.

That's actually the best way to go about it. An employee can give run around. Letting them know you plan on calling your credit card company and letting them know you'll return the shoes after the funds are put back on your card in 7-10 business days gets them to change their demeanor quickly.

cedric ceballos cedric ceballos is 100% correct on every post he's made. Worked at FTL for a couple years in college. My manager didn't care about returns and just did them unless the shoe was worn or the customer was obviously trying to get over. The dude that replaced him was the returns are taking money out of his pockets type. Sht is BEYOND annoying. Just do the return and get on with your day.

I haven't had a bad experience with foot locker before but if I were you I would just push the issue with corporate.

I'm glad I haven't bought shoes at a physical store in years except for nordstrom rack. Last time I bought shoes at footlocker an employee put a pack of those crappy cardboard shoe trees with my order, I thought he was talking about the ones that already come inside new shoes. I go up to the register and tell them to remove those with the quickness.

Anyway, making a simple return shouldn't be made into a problem and an employee unwilling to do it shouldn't be working there if they don't want to do their job. Thanks for the tips of just telling them you'll dispute it with your cc company to get them shook.

Some of these employees act like the money in the register belongs to them and you returning a pair of shoes is hurting them.

I know managers have sales goals and all so possibly a return might affect that. But that doesn't give them a green light to deny company policy in hopes off getting a bonus from sales goals.

Bottom line is corporate type stores like foot locker are supposed to have very lenient return policies. Customers like shopping at places where they can feel comfortable returning/exchanging an item if it didn't work out for them. It's a good policy as long as customers don't abuse it.

In the employees case, they know the company has lenient return/exchange policies. If it bothers them that much perhaps they should consider working at a mom/pop spot or a swap meet sneaker spot where all sales tend to be final the most you can do is an exchange within 7 days.

It's an inconvenience when employees try to make up their own rules. You took time out of your day to commute to the store because based off what it said on the receipt, you're allowed to return the item with no hassle. It's a bad look when employees look for every possible reason to deny the return and waste your time in the process.
If an employee gets feisty, just get the manager.

NT fam is full of sexy dudes who have no time to argue with these sales associates who're trying to make our lives a hassle.

I just want to rant / put this story out to see if anyone has experience the same. About a 6 weeks ago I bought the Penny IIs from Footlocker in North Park mall in Dallas Texas. I was in kinda a hurry so didn't really look them over. The next day I open the to inspect the shoe and the quality was .... well that another story. So I decide to return them and get my money back. The next day ( 4-5 days after purchasing) I head to Foot Locker in Vista Ridge Mall located in Lewisville, Tx. When I walk in there a few employees just hanging out behind the register, I walk over and tell them I'd like to return the shoes. Conversation as follows:

me: "I'd like to return these shoes"
him: "how did you buy them"
me: "debit card"
him: "credit card machines are broke, can't do it"
me: "can you give me cash since it was debit"
him: "nah"
me: "how long until they are fixed" (it was about 7:40 and they closed at 9)
him: "**** ..... maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow. Just come back whenever"

I know he's lying so I just kinda give him a blank stare and leave. The next day I stop at GrapeVine Mills mall in Grapevine, Tx. Dude named ... Keith (yeah, Keith) is there hangout on a rack of close on his phone. Conversation:

him: "need something"
me: "yeah, want to return these shoes"
him: "can't do it ...."
me: "huh, why not?"
him: "ain't no cash in the register"
me: "wait, y'all open and you ain’t got any cash in the register"
him "nah ..... " 
him: goes back to messing with his phone
me: "well good thing I bought these with a card then"
him: **** off stare .....
him: "where'd you buy them"
me: "Northpark Dallas"
him: "thats a house of hoops, can't return a house of hoops"
me: "you can. still a footlocker, says footlocker on the receipt"
him: frustrated says "I can try, probably wont be able to ......."

starts to walk toward the back so I follow him
I put the shoes out the counter and hand him my receipt. He, amazingly, is able to do the return, but he's clearly no happy about it. He has me sign and I walk off. He shouts "You're welcome". Im kinda a smart *** so I said "didn't say thank you ...". He says something under his breath so I ask for his name and he gives me his full first and last name, loudly and I just walk out. 

I just want to put this story out there. Something is going on at Foot Locker in North Texas, two different stores, lies and attitude. I tried to contact corporate, nothing. I talked to a manager at another store, but they just gave me the general customer service number and told me thats all they could do. Anyone experience the same anywhere else? Is it a corporate thing to try not to let customers return stuff

My pops is and has been a retail executive for years, I'm telling you...in a situation like this demand a name and contact info for the district manager and explain your situatiom to them as calmly and reasonably as possible...whenever a situation escalates heads will roll. (As long as you were in the right and them in the wrong)

Did you ask them to send you a return label? I've had to do that before and didn't have any issues. Received the label and returned the shoes. Not surprised they didn't refund your shipping costs, I wouldn't.

If you were in the city of socal I'd help you OP.

My boss is some bratty 19 year old who thinks she's the xxxx just cause she drives an 03 Civic that's paid off and she stay getting the pipe consistently. She has this holier than thou attitude cause she can tell me where to work and when to work. Most of the employees all act uppity too and can't appreciate this amazing job where you get first hand dibs on the latest releases. These managers do get upset if you return a HoH sneaker though. We were short staffed once so instead of cleaning out the storage room I was able to work the floor and made a return. Once this donut shaped manager saw I had already accepted the return she scolded me right in front of the customer and said they were lucky cause they aren't supposed to return HoH items since they're limited.

Once I make assistant manager I'd help out everyone. I don't care if people are doing returns as long as the sneakers aren't beat like you played an 8 hour pickup game I'd take them back no problem.

End rant.

Last edited:
If you were in the city of socal I'd help you OP.

My boss is some bratty 19 year old who thinks she's the xxxx just cause she drives an 03 Civic that's paid off and she stay getting the pipe consistently. She has this holier than thou attitude cause she can tell me where to work and when to work. Most of the employees all act uppity too and can't appreciate this amazing job where you get first hand dibs on the latest releases. These managers do get upset if you return a HoH sneaker though. We were short staffed once so instead of cleaning out the storage room I was able to work the floor and made a return. Once this donut shaped manager saw I had already accepted the return she scolded me right in front of the customer and said they were lucky cause they aren't supposed to return HoH items since they're limited.

Once I make assistant manager I'd help out everyone. I don't care if people are doing returns as long as the sneakers aren't beat like you played an 8 hour pickup game I'd take them back no problem.

End rant.
Tell-tale sign of poor management. You never do this in front of the customer.

@Frank Mucus -- I hope you move onwards and upwards. 19yo boss? No thanks.

I really don't get the mentality of some of the employees though. Like why do they care so much about legitimate returns. Like damn you'll be friendly as hell if I buy a cleaner or insole but if I try to return an item for whatever reason some act like you peed in their Cheerios. Like they don't realize the company don't care about them.

A bad audit or two due to things they have no control over and the whole staff sometimes gets canned. The same company they're going so hard for by making returns difficult will can them if there's enough calls to corporate made about them. Some employees just don't get that.

I get sales goals and potential bonuses and all but sometimes you gotta take that L and follow company policy or be smart and think outside the box. I worked in management at lids years ago. At the time, we got bonuses for reaching sales goals. We had barely reached the goal one time and a customer came in right before close to make a return. That return would've put us under the goal and we wouldn't have got our bonuses. Rather then give him some dumb excuse and deny the return, I explained the situation and gave him two options. If he lived close by he could either come tomorrow any time and I'd gladly return the hat plus give him a discount if he wanted something else. Or he could let me go to the atm, let me get some cash and I'd take the receipt and give him his cash back out my pocket. He chose that option. I took the hat and receipt and had my friend return it in the store the next day and I got the money back and we got our bonus checks.

I really don't get the mentality of some of the employees though. Like why do they care so much about legitimate returns. Like damn you'll be friendly as hell if I buy a cleaner or insole but if I try to return an item for whatever reason some act like you peed in their Cheerios. Like they don't realize the company don't care about them.

A bad audit or two due to things they have no control over and the whole staff sometimes gets canned. The same company they're going so hard for by making returns difficult will can them if there's enough calls to corporate made about them. Some employees just don't get that.

I get sales goals and potential bonuses and all but sometimes you gotta take that L and follow company policy or be smart and think outside the box. I worked in management at lids years ago. At the time, we got bonuses for reaching sales goals. We had barely reached the goal one time and a customer came in right before close to make a return. That return would've put us under the goal and we wouldn't have got our bonuses. Rather then give him some dumb excuse and deny the return, I explained the situation and gave him two options. If he lived close by he could either come tomorrow any time and I'd gladly return the hat plus give him a discount if he wanted something else. Or he could let me go to the atm, let me get some cash and I'd take the receipt and give him his cash back out my pocket. He chose that option. I took the hat and receipt and had my friend return it in the store the next day and I got the money back and we got our bonus checks.
Absolutely resourceful and smart.

Honestly not surprised as NT fam is full of sexy, intelligent dudes.

Sounds like A+ service right there.

Some of those employees really feel the power of the striped shirt. I'm like dude, you're not really a referee!

Back
Top Bottom