Friend got a DUI

EddieDoyers

formerly eddiengambino
My friend just got arrested and is gonna go to court in 3 weeks. What will he be most likely facing? He's also not 21, so I'm assuming the punishment is going to be a lot more stiff.

It depends on what state you reside in. In CA, it's tough and consequences can be dire despite having expensive lawyers. This is based on my friends' experiences.

It depends on what state you reside in. In CA, it's tough and consequences can be dire despite having expensive lawyers. This is based on my friends' experiences.
Well we are from LA. He is near broke, so I guess this ain't gonna help him :smh:

I'm assuming he didn't cause any property damage or hit anyone right?  Like already mentioned, it all depends what state you're in.  But because he is not 21 the fine may be a bit larger and longer suspension of the license.  Will have to take some DUI classes too for about 3 months.

First offense? Any other run ins with the law?

I'd say he's looking at a fine ($500 plus court fees), 2 years probation (plus suspended license), a year with a breathalyzer, community service (100 hrs), and AA classes (upwards of 100 hrs).

i've never met a person who went to court for a DWI and make out (lawyers fees or fines wise).. Is prison better?

Last edited:
yeah if its in CA
he gonna have to pay up and STILL get probation and suspended license

DUI's are probably the worse non violent charges you can get. Your boy is ****** for at least the next five years.

also if he had a car seat in the back the judge could lay down more penalties regardless if a kid was in there

First offense? Any other run ins with the law?

I'd say he's looking at a fine ($500 plus court fees), 2 years probation, a year with a breathalyzer, community service (100 hrs), and AA classes (upwards of 100 hrs)

He told me it was a first offense
Didn't want to say how he got arrested though
All he told me was that he is SCREWED lol

It's not 5 years.....its more like 10 years now.

I had a DUI back in 2008. First thing is not to trip. You friend will not face jail time but just a lot of fees and some community service and AAA classes. I think the minimum fine is $1700 but I could be wrong. Believe it or not, its a pretty common offense but still a bad one. It could affect his job, insurance but in no way will he go to jail.

I'll chime in more on this later cause I am heading out but when I went through this back in 2008, people on NT were really helpful, so I always feel compelled to help out when others go through the same thing.

Bottom line.....just don't drink and drive. I mean leave your car in the streets, get a taxi, a friend...whatever....just don't drive.

tell your "friend" 
wink.gif
 eventhoughweknowitwasyouOP
mean.gif

he will pay anywhere from $2000-$5000, get maybe 2 weeks in jail, 2 years probation, expensive DUI classes.

tell your "friend" :wink:  eventhoughweknowitwasyouOP:smh:
he will pay anywhere from $2000-$5000, get maybe 2 weeks in jail, 2 years probation, expensive DUI classes.
Bruh, I'm not dumb enough to get a DUI lol I haven't even went to a single party this year (I have no life now, only work life :smh:)
In fact, I had to pick him up from the county jail......I'm just being a little nosy since my friend ain't spillin me the details or seems to not know the consequences of such actions.

The amount of the fine is based on if it's a wet wreckless or a DUI--- which is determined by the breathalyzer.  The minimum fee for a DUI is actually 1900.  Hope your friend gets a sympathetic judge.

I got one in September and I had to endure a $1900.00 fine, 3 months of DUI classes and a suspended license for 4 months which has already passed.  Dont have to worry about jailtime unless he hit somebody.  Just tell your friend to keep his head up.  At the very least he'll see some good looking girls in the DUI classes, lol.

Bruh, I'm not dumb enough to get a DUI lol I haven't even went to a single party this year (I have no life now, only work life :smh:)
In fact, I had to pick him up from the county jail......I'm just being a little nosy since my friend ain't spillin me the details or seems to not know the consequences of such actions.

That is so sad...

It's all a pretty standard punishment if it's just a simple DUI with no property damage and what not. I didn't lawyer up for mine for that exact reason. Got the same punishment as everyone else who paid for a lawyer. So I'd say save the money on a lawyer. The state is broke so they just want money. Just make sure it is your only dui. After the first they will crucify you.

It's all a pretty standard punishment if it's just a simple DUI with no property damage and what not. I didn't lawyer up for mine for that exact reason. Got the same punishment as everyone else who paid for a lawyer. So I'd say save the money on a lawyer. The state is broke so they just want money. Just make sure it is your only dui. After the first they will crucify you.
what happens after the first
dont know to many people with multiples

DUI's should have an even higher punishment IMO.

You're putting the lives of dozens of people at risk. :smh:

ur "friend" better sell their sneaker collection. :lol:

Last edited:
Nah...lawyer up. If you ever go to court and you are not well versed in the Law, always lawyer up. He may get it knocked down to a non moving or non dui on some technicality. Ex. In Ks, the actual DUI statute had an error in the way it was recorded, a Lawyer picked up on it and got all his clients off for the last year that that statute was in place, a lay person wouldn't/didn't pick up on that error and all the people who didn't have a lawyer are still going through that bs.

Always...if you can afford it, no time to be cheap, get a lawyer when dealing with the law...always.

DUI punishments are to rough, they ruin peoples lives. This lady got a DUI for moving her car from the street to her driveway....real danger to the public...In Ks, "Booze Cruisin" drinking and driving a pick up truck in YOUR field, on back country roads etc. is a tradition...people get DUI's for it still... I think we should really talk about this...Factors, volume of traffic on that street, damage you've done, number of times caught...all that jazz...a few drinks and a drive home shouldn't get your license taken away for ten years, people got lives and public transportation is not a possibility for a lot of people in this country...plus most of the time, nothing happens anyway... stupid coastal bias.

Last edited:
DUI's should have an even higher punishment IMO.

You're putting the lives of dozens of people at risk. :smh:

ur "friend" better sell their sneaker collection. :lol:

My friend is near broke bruh, he ain't got much. I don't think he can even afford the fines that were said on this thread.
But anyway, my intent was just to get an understanding of what process, since he won't tell me much about his situation other than he drank too much and is now in big trouble.

True California is different than mn. After your first due here you will serve jail time and lose your license for a year and major fines. For example I have one DUI and my fine was 300 bucks. But you're ****** on your second. I think your third is even a felony.

Back
Top Bottom