HAKEEM THE DREAM BEING UNDERAPPRECIATED DISAPPRECAITION POST...vol. Best Ever.

After reading this little article, I agree. People dont discuss him nearly as often as they should. Gets overlooked by Shaq and Kareem discussions imo. Fact is, he was the most complete center, and perhaps the best ever. Yalls thoughts??

For the next few weeks, I'm going to pick an NBA-related subject, A-through-Z, and tell you why it's worth your time, and why it's one of the reasons I love covering this league. Because that's why I wanted to become a scribe who's paid to cover this league. Sharing the things I know and love with those of my kind. All that stuff.
Because I'm lucky enough to have your ear for however long, I don't care that this might come off as a bit twee. A little embarrassing. A little too forthright. I'm OK with that. Hopefully you are, as well.

"H" is for "Hakeem Olajuwon."
http://
NBA fans don't bring up Hakeem Olajuwon as often as they should. Because discussing his greatness a couple of times an afternoon still isn't often enough.

The overwrought plaudits and accomplishments - believe me, I've tried to list them in several meaningful ways - just aren't enough, as well. One just has to walk away from any discussion surrounding Hakeem understanding that, at his peak, there may not have been a more unguardable post presence in the NBA's history. That even Kareem's skyhook, Karl Malone's direct hits, Tim Duncan's(notes) steely dirty work, and Shaquille O'Neal's(notes) way with brute force, at their best, might not be able to top the center that could do ... well, everything.

Face-up, jump shot, dribble drive, pass to a cutter.

Low post? Jump hook, turnaround jumper, spin move for the lay-in, pass to a cutter.

From anywhere? The dream shake.

Sorry. Let me re-type that.

The Dream Shake.

I'm not going to waste your time. Not going to muse aloud too much about why he isn't remembered as often as he should be, what his trip to Toronto may have done to his legacy, or the way ceding to Charles Barkley and then Steve Francis(notes) in his last few years in Clutch City may have needlessly dulled most NBA fans' recollections of this giant.

What I would like you to do, because no words suffice in the face of his brilliance, is ask you to watch this clip.

http://sports.yahoo.com/n...-Olajuwon?urn=nba-271018

After reading this little article, I agree. People dont discuss him nearly as often as they should. Gets overlooked by Shaq and Kareem discussions imo. Fact is, he was the most complete center, and perhaps the best ever. Yalls thoughts??

For the next few weeks, I'm going to pick an NBA-related subject, A-through-Z, and tell you why it's worth your time, and why it's one of the reasons I love covering this league. Because that's why I wanted to become a scribe who's paid to cover this league. Sharing the things I know and love with those of my kind. All that stuff.
Because I'm lucky enough to have your ear for however long, I don't care that this might come off as a bit twee. A little embarrassing. A little too forthright. I'm OK with that. Hopefully you are, as well.

"H" is for "Hakeem Olajuwon."
http://
NBA fans don't bring up Hakeem Olajuwon as often as they should. Because discussing his greatness a couple of times an afternoon still isn't often enough.

The overwrought plaudits and accomplishments - believe me, I've tried to list them in several meaningful ways - just aren't enough, as well. One just has to walk away from any discussion surrounding Hakeem understanding that, at his peak, there may not have been a more unguardable post presence in the NBA's history. That even Kareem's skyhook, Karl Malone's direct hits, Tim Duncan's(notes) steely dirty work, and Shaquille O'Neal's(notes) way with brute force, at their best, might not be able to top the center that could do ... well, everything.

Face-up, jump shot, dribble drive, pass to a cutter.

Low post? Jump hook, turnaround jumper, spin move for the lay-in, pass to a cutter.

From anywhere? The dream shake.

Sorry. Let me re-type that.

The Dream Shake.

I'm not going to waste your time. Not going to muse aloud too much about why he isn't remembered as often as he should be, what his trip to Toronto may have done to his legacy, or the way ceding to Charles Barkley and then Steve Francis(notes) in his last few years in Clutch City may have needlessly dulled most NBA fans' recollections of this giant.

What I would like you to do, because no words suffice in the face of his brilliance, is ask you to watch this clip.

http://sports.yahoo.com/n...-Olajuwon?urn=nba-271018

He gets overlooked by Kareem and Shaq, because....he wasn't better than Prime Kareem or Shaq.

He gets overlooked by Kareem and Shaq, because....he wasn't better than Prime Kareem or Shaq.

He gets overlooked by Kareem and Shaq, because....he wasn't better than Prime Kareem or Shaq.a
uhhh.......
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by Dade B0Y

he won a 'chip w/o an all-star. he is arguably the best defensive center of all time. so no, he just didn't play for the lakers so he didn't get the hype

he won a 'chip w/o an all-star. he is arguably the best defensive center of all time. so no, he just didn't play for the lakers so he didn't get the hype

Fact is, he was the most complete center, and perhaps the best ever. Yalls thoughts??
roll.gif

i dont get how thats funny....or wait...maybe its funny that neither of them had the offensive game Hakeem had.....its funny neither of them were AS GOOD defensively...they were good, but not on Dreams level...its funny how Dream's footwork was the best ever for a center...its funny how Dream had the handles of a point guard....so yes...all that is funny.....pretty sure everyone can agree he was the most complete center of all time......

Fact is, he was the most complete center, and perhaps the best ever. Yalls thoughts??
roll.gif

i dont get how thats funny....or wait...maybe its funny that neither of them had the offensive game Hakeem had.....its funny neither of them were AS GOOD defensively...they were good, but not on Dreams level...its funny how Dream's footwork was the best ever for a center...its funny how Dream had the handles of a point guard....so yes...all that is funny.....pretty sure everyone can agree he was the most complete center of all time......

He has my respect, dude is the most skilled Center imo on both sides of the basketball, my friends that follow basketball they don't really know how good he was. I blame ESPN / ABC for not giving him enough praise.

He has my respect, dude is the most skilled Center imo on both sides of the basketball, my friends that follow basketball they don't really know how good he was. I blame ESPN / ABC for not giving him enough praise.

He gets overlooked by Kareem and Shaq, because....he wasn't better than Prime Kareem orShaq.

Kareem and Shaq had better careers, mostly because they had more luck in their careers and being at the right place at the right time, but 92-95 Hakeem > any Kareem or Shaq. Some of Hakeem's best years in the post-Sampson, pre-93- great role players era were waster because his teams were garbage.

His 94 and 95 playoff runs were just insane, beating Ewing, Robinson and Shaq in 7 game series. Not to mention Malone, Barkley and Rodman. And taking this series against Kareem isn't too bad either:

The early 90s were the strongest era for the center position in NBA history. Ewing, Robinson, young Shaq, Mutombo, young Zo. Even mediocre centers by those days standards like Vlade Divac and Rony Seikaly would dominate today. And Hakeem got the better of all of them. There was no doubt in anyone's mind who was the best center. Well, some were saying Robinson, but we all know how that went when they squared off.

It's too bad that he doesn't get recognized for his offense more. He had great regular season ppg averages, but probably because he never led the league in scoring, most still remember him primarily for his defense. But people don't realize that Hakeem just put it in cruise control throughout the regular season, and started beasting when the playoffs arrived. Many people don't know that Hakeem has the highest career playoff ppg of any center. His career playoff ppg is 4 points higher than his regular season ppg.

He gets overlooked by Kareem and Shaq, because....he wasn't better than Prime Kareem orShaq.

Kareem and Shaq had better careers, mostly because they had more luck in their careers and being at the right place at the right time, but 92-95 Hakeem > any Kareem or Shaq. Some of Hakeem's best years in the post-Sampson, pre-93- great role players era were waster because his teams were garbage.

His 94 and 95 playoff runs were just insane, beating Ewing, Robinson and Shaq in 7 game series. Not to mention Malone, Barkley and Rodman. And taking this series against Kareem isn't too bad either:

The early 90s were the strongest era for the center position in NBA history. Ewing, Robinson, young Shaq, Mutombo, young Zo. Even mediocre centers by those days standards like Vlade Divac and Rony Seikaly would dominate today. And Hakeem got the better of all of them. There was no doubt in anyone's mind who was the best center. Well, some were saying Robinson, but we all know how that went when they squared off.

It's too bad that he doesn't get recognized for his offense more. He had great regular season ppg averages, but probably because he never led the league in scoring, most still remember him primarily for his defense. But people don't realize that Hakeem just put it in cruise control throughout the regular season, and started beasting when the playoffs arrived. Many people don't know that Hakeem has the highest career playoff ppg of any center. His career playoff ppg is 4 points higher than his regular season ppg.

Back
Top Bottom