Hide Ya Wives, Hide Ya Kids: Worldwide Coronavirus Pandemic!

Are You Getting The Covid Vaccine?

• Yes

• No

• Only if mandatory

• Not if mandatory

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
You can't be too careful! I always try to hit the grocery stores first thing in the morning when they open because they're generally less crowded (often empty) and any viral particles floating in the air have from the day before have settled to the ground.

While double masking can be helpful, it's not necessary if you have plenty of high quality masks that you can cycle between and let each one air out for 3-4 days. For any mask nerds like me, check out Aaron Collins' YouTube channel where he tests all kinds of different masks, comparing them to ideal N100 and N95 controls. Cliffs notes: nearly all South Korean made KF94 masks he recommends (and provides links to buy) will provide 95%+ protection against aerosol transmission. IMO, they are the best masks you can buy for the money in terms of comfort and protection. For reference, a basic blue procedure mask you commonly see people wearing was only 11% effective in his tests.

Momma dukes took tons of masks from the hospital, all Filipino moms probably did, probably why there was such a shortage before. :lol:

SoI just been using the blue or black medical masks, some feel thinner than others, some have stretchier straps than others.

Do they seem to be attempting to maintain appropriate distancing, at least?
the park has a big paved winding loop that people walk/ jog around for exercise. for the most part, people are solo or in small groups but they bunch up and cross paths frequently and mostly maskless. on the beach, they are mostly solo or in small groups but there were a few over 15 people all hanging out, bbq, etc. my son and i wear our masks from the car to the shore, maskless on the beach, masks back on walking to the showers, wait until the shower is empty, rinse off, mask up, and go home. my 1 year old is with us the whole time maskless and we don't get close to anyone.

i think the bulk of cases in hawaii seem to be from maskless social gatherings inside private residences amongst people from multiple households. that's where my wife is the most strict. she keeps our bubble super small. it helps that her fam are hardcore trump supporters. she barely even tolerates them on facetime.

Any good secondary uses for the white/blue surgical type masks? I hate just throwing them out after one use

can they be washed or air dry them, or sprayed with sanitizer?
I noticed these types of masks appear to be water resistant. They have quite the moisture wicking capabilities. There are times I’ll get some tissue and pat the mask dry. Meanwhile, these other cloth masks and gaiters stay moist for hours.
Mask compliance where I live is great but we still see surges. Will we ever get strict on mask types? The white/blue types seem to be marked as disposable and are quite cheap

Any good secondary uses for the white/blue surgical type masks? I hate just throwing them out after one use

can they be washed or air dry them, or sprayed with sanitizer?
I noticed these types of masks appear to be water resistant. They have quite the moisture wicking capabilities. There are times I’ll get some tissue and pat the mask dry. Meanwhile, these other cloth masks and gaiters stay moist for hours.
Mask compliance where I live is great but we still see surges. Will we ever get strict on mask types? The white/blue types seem to be marked as disposable and are quite cheap
You don’t need to wash or sanitize them if you wait 3-4 days between each use. I only use them for outdoor low/no risk situations as a symbol to show other people I care about protecting them, or to cover an N95 with exhalation valve. Otherwise, they are basically worthless for any type of situation where you need protection from aerosol viral transmission. Same for basic cloth masks without any electrostatic or nano filtering properties.

You can't be too careful! I always try to hit the grocery stores first thing in the morning when they open because they're generally less crowded (often empty) and any viral particles floating in the air from the day before have settled to the ground.

While double masking can be helpful, it's not necessary if you have plenty of high quality masks that you can cycle between and let each one air out for 3-4 days. For any mask nerds like me, check out Aaron Collins' YouTube channel where he tests all kinds of different masks, comparing them to ideal N100 and N95 controls. Cliffs notes: nearly all South Korean made KF94 masks he recommends (and provides links to buy) will provide 95%+ protection against aerosol transmission. IMO, they are the best masks you can buy for the money in terms of comfort and protection. For reference, a basic blue procedure mask you commonly see people wearing was only 11% effective in his tests.

This is basically explains for "the most part" how the recent trend of some of the most recent folk that got positive from COVID have said that "they don't know where they got infected BECAUSE they followed ALL SAFETY PRECAUTIONS AND MASKED UP"

They probably used those "lower quality masks" AND "even LOWER QUALITY NECK GARBS" as a crutch when they were social distancing around their everyday situations at the grocery store and such.

hey Blake P Blake P which kf94 do you recommend? i’ve been using the 3m kn95 even though it wrecks my ears and my wife has been using the powecom kn95. i don’t know how people use cloth masks all day that touch their mouth - so hard to talk with those.

after my second shot though, i might eventually burn through the bogus kn95s that i bought before i did any research.

hey Blake P Blake P which kf94 do you recommend? i’ve been using the 3m kn95 even though it wrecks my ears and my wife has been using the powecom kn95. i don’t know how people use cloth masks all day that touch their mouth - so hard to talk with those.

after my second shot though, i might eventually burn through the bogus kn95s that i bought before i did any research.
I’ve been using some that my friend from S.Korea sourced for me very early in the pandemic. Did I send you one (blue single pack) with the other masks a while ago? They are technically called “KN95” because they’re made in China by a SK owned company, which doesn’t allow them to receive KF94 certification. As for made in Korea certified KF94 masks, I have 100 pack of Wiicare on order to supply friends, family, and co-workers. Aaron Collins tested them at 99.5%, slightly better than 3M 8810 N95 masks at 99.4%. For less than $1 per mask, it’s a no-brainer.

EDIT: forgot to mention that I like the LG Airwasher KF94 masks. They are very highly rated as well, but more than double the price of the Wiicare mentioned above.

Last edited:
There are surgical masks that are ASTM-rated that provide decent protection. Not as good as N95 but still pretty good. Also, depending on the mask, many of the surgical masks start to deteriorate after a few wears. So I'll wear them for a few times in a low-risk setting and then discard them. For moderate (but still relatively low) risk settings, like grocery shopping when it's not busy, I try to use an ASTM-3 mask. For moderate-to-high risk (travel, crowded spaces) I use an N95 (or N95-equivalent).

1610498950596.png

There are surgical masks that are ASTM-rated that provide decent protection. Not as good as N95 but still pretty good. Also, depending on the mask, many of the surgical masks start to deteriorate after a few wears. So I'll wear them for a few times in a low-risk setting and then discard them. For moderate (but still relatively low) risk settings, like grocery shopping when it's not busy, I try to use an ASTM-3 mask. For moderate-to-high risk (travel, crowded spaces) I use an N95 (or N95-equivalent).

1610498950596.png

The materials used in the ASTM-rated surgical masks are generally very good, but the lack of air tight seal is what kills their performance rating.

Hilarious how many people I still hear talking about "the vaccine is a set up!! I ain't taking that ****!!" Etc.... :lol: Can't wait for more to be available...ready to get the vaccine

Chicago will soon move onto next phase which will
Be 65 & older/essential workers. Although I am lucky to wfh, I am an engineer for the natural gas company and they provided us with an essential worker letter in case we have to be in the field, etc. Does that mean I can qualify for the Vaccine in this next phase?

Blake P Blake P what would you say about those healthcare workers or long term facility staff that are in n95s: and shielded up and still catch it? Is there an inevitable feature of this virus? I didn’t realize my basic white and blue surgical style mask was so useless, and then I have a cloth one that is a tad more breathable. Scary times.

it's not all-or-none. n95 may give you 99% protection, surgical mask 75%, and cloth mask 50%, and all these numbers go down if improperly worn. it also depends on the situation. an n95 may give you 100% protection for a short trip to the grocery store but 95% protection if you are stuck for 30 minutes in a room with a coughing patient.

Blake P Blake P what would you say about those healthcare workers or long term facility staff that are in n95s: and shielded up and still catch it? Is there an inevitable feature of this virus? I didn’t realize my basic white and blue surgical style mask was so useless, and then I have a cloth one that is a tad more breathable. Scary times.
Even the best mask is only as good as the fitment, condition, don/doff procedures, etc. They obviously could have caught it in the community, or even in the break room when they took their mask off to eat? We’ll never know. We can only do our best and a quality mask is the best place to start.

Been a min but the in-laws are ok but the funeral was a super spreader so my moms lost 2 brothers in the span of a month smh. This one was covid related. I work in education and coach so I've been in all kind of meetings about our district having teachers take the vaccine or not this week before maybe allowing kids back on March 1st. We are supposed to be starting basketball Saturday and first game next Friday. I am truly conflicted about the vaccine but my wife is a doctor and she took the moderna one.

Been a min but the in-laws are ok but the funeral was a super spreader so my moms lost 2 brothers in the span of a month smh. This one was covid related. I work in education and coach so I've been in all kind of meetings about our district having teachers take the vaccine or not this week before maybe allowing kids back on March 1st. We are supposed to be starting basketball Saturday and first game next Friday. I am truly conflicted about the vaccine but my wife is a doctor and she took the moderna one.
I’m sorry for your family’s losses.
What’s to be conflicted about? Pros far outweigh cons, and that’s not even debatable at this point.

Back
Top Bottom