How good is Kevin Durant really?

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Maybe it's just me, but how come everyone talks about Durant being an underwhelming rebounder at 6'9 215 (6.6 RPG last season) when LeBron is supposedly 6'9 260 and only gets 7.6 RPG?

That one rebound that significant or just plain nitpicking
grin.gif
The Cav have the 23rd slowest offense in the league, Oklahoma city has the 9th fastest offense in the league.
more possessions, more shots, more misses, more rebounds.

Kevin Durants rebound percentage is 9.7%, Lebrons is 12%, so that is a pretty decent margin, to put it in perspective Chris Pauls rebound percentage is a shade under, 8.7. Durant is an average rebounder while Lebron is the 4th best rebounding SF in the league.
There are advanced defensive stats, I just don't completely know how to use/understand them. Some people on here do (OKB
nerd.gif
). Not that those should be the be-all and end-all either, but the numbers are out there and NBA front offices do use them.
There are only a couple advanced defensive stats, all of them flawed in some way.

Defensive Rating is an estimation of how many points a player gives up per 100 possessions, how often he forced his guy into a bad shot, or how many turnovers he created. It's major flaw is that it is heavilly dependent on the team mates you have, guys on good defensive teams will have good defensive ratings,m for example; Tony Parker, he is rated as the worst defender on the Spurs, but has a better defensive rating for the average point guard, oh also it doesn't really help fully quantify guys like Chuck Hayes, or Bruce Bowen guys who don't cause a lot of turnovers but play great man to man D.

Defensive Win Shares It simply can be defined as how many wins a player contribute to a team with his defense, they use defensive rating and figure out how that number ralates twoards winning. A good way to tell if I stat works is if 70% of the answers you expect and 30% are surprising, Expected: Scottie Pippen has the second highest single season total of any swing man, Bill Russel is the highest for any big man, unexpected, Dr J has the highest rating of any swing man, even higher than Scottie, leading me to believe his defense may be slightly underrated. It's flaw is that 1. it is not a rate, you have to play minutes to get a lot of win shares, if your team only wins 28 games there are only 28 win shares for you to claim.

Simple on court/off court plus minus. When Kevin Durant is on the court the Thunder give up 113 points per 100 possesions, when he is off the court they give up only 105 points per 100 possesions. Flaw? It doesn;t take into account the quality of opponent your teammates faced. Kevin is going against starters while the bench players have more time against scrubs.

Adjusted Plus Minus. Plus minus adjusted for your teammates and the quality of opponents they face. Probabaly the most accurate stats to @+$*$ value,but not necessarily overall talent, Flaw? If your team is good defensively top to bottom and when your out of the game there defensive performance does not decrease that much your plus minus won't be as good, doesn't mean the player isn't good it just speaks to the quality of team mates, Example Dwight Howards plus minus was only +2.2 probably because Gortat is such a good defender as well it's also very noisy, fluctuates alot from year to year.

By this rating Durant is horrible the 4th worst defender in the league.

Yeah I guess stats dont lie.

Imma say this right now...at TX and last year in the league dude had me but after last night's performance as their go to guy, dude lost me. No more for mei am done. He had his opportunity to shine and give the lakers another L and what he do? that last minute stupid deep three shot he took before overtime wasjust as stupid as the coach not benching him for attempting that nonsense!

Two years from now OKC will have a legit Center, Westbrook will commit fewer Turnovers and Durant won't airball game winners.

Back
Top Bottom