How great was bruce lee? anybody got any crazy stories on his work ethic?

Originally Posted by 6dollaBURGER

I want to read posts on Club27's MMA backgrounds - any links?
I believe exactly 0% of anything regarding Club's alleged toughness and/or MMA training.

Originally Posted by 6dollaBURGER

I want to read posts on Club27's MMA backgrounds - any links?
I believe exactly 0% of anything regarding Club's alleged toughness and/or MMA training.

Originally Posted by ThorrocksJs

I tend to think we mythize bruce leel way to much.Most Modern MMA fighters would stomp him in the lower weight classes of any major org.Folks have figured out how to truly cross train martial arts I give some credit.But guys like Royce Mas Oyama,Maeda,Antonio Inoki,Helio Gracie.Were all practicing what he was doing on a higher level and have had a greater impact than he had as far as general martial arts.These guys were the ones truly cross training and perfecting their craft and they actually had matches and the reputation to back it up.They were actual about that life Bruce talked about. Their is a reason we never hear of Bruce fighting boxers are not participating in tournaments.If he truly was about making a perfect martial art then he would have had the records to prove so not a bunch of books about theory .

You seem like you're on a mission in here. Don't even care to argue with you. But curious. How are the names you mentioned "the ones truly cross training"? 
You can see by Royce's fights to THIS DAY that he is stuck in BJJ, and as long as he has been fighting MMA, still hasn't developed any sort of legit striking skills. 

There is a legend to Bruce. Yes. But JKD is an effective combat system. And the precursor to modern martial arts. 

To say Most Modern MMA fighters would stomp his is ridiculous. They are ATHLETES. They compete in a SPORT. 

Sport and Combat arts are COMPLETELY different. 

Bruce appears to have been both athlete and fighter. 

Ultimately we'll never get our answer. We're talking about a dead man. Which is why I would never say something as stupid as "fighter A would stomp fighter B" when we'll never see them fight. 

Only issue I've ever had in these threads is people claiming Bruce was just an actor. He was clearly a fighter as well. Actors don't invent effective fighting styles. The thought is preposterous. 

I tend to think we mythize bruce leel way to much.Most Modern MMA fighters would stomp him in the lower weight classes of any major org.Folks have figured out how to truly cross train martial arts I give some credit.But guys like Royce Mas Oyama,Maeda,Antonio Inoki,Helio Gracie.Were all practicing what he was doing on a higher level and have had a greater impact than he had as far as general martial arts.These guys were the ones truly cross training and perfecting their craft and they actually had matches and the reputation to back it up.They were actual about that life Bruce talked about. Their is a reason we never hear of Bruce fighting boxers are not participating in tournaments.If he truly was about making a perfect martial art then he would have had the records to prove so not a bunch of books about theory .

You seem like you're on a mission in here. Don't even care to argue with you. But curious. How are the names you mentioned "the ones truly cross training"? 
You can see by Royce's fights to THIS DAY that he is stuck in BJJ, and as long as he has been fighting MMA, still hasn't developed any sort of legit striking skills. 

There is a legend to Bruce. Yes. But JKD is an effective combat system. And the precursor to modern martial arts. 

To say Most Modern MMA fighters would stomp his is ridiculous. They are ATHLETES. They compete in a SPORT. 

Ultimately we'll never get our answer. We're talking about a dead man. Which is why I would never say something as stupid as "fighter A would stomp fighter B" when we'll never see them fight. 

Only issue I've ever had in these threads is people claiming Bruce was just an actor. He was clearly a fighter as well. Actors don't invent effective fighting styles. The thought is preposterous. 

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Gene Lebell was offered a fight with a Gracie forgot which one but he turned it down solely based on the fact he was getting up their in age and wasn't comfortable taking on a young gracie .I highly doubt they challenged Bruce. I will say one thing I wonder why the gracies never challenged the Hart Family that would have actually been imo the greatest fued in modern MMA.
more info on Lebell being challenged by the Gracie's?

Rickson > Bruce... yea I went there

(kidding)

I had to bold that just in case anyone wanted to go in on you and didn't read your statement thoroughly.
Rickson can't grapple with what he can't see

Gene Lebell was offered a fight with a Gracie forgot which one but he turned it down solely based on the fact he was getting up their in age and wasn't comfortable taking on a young gracie .I highly doubt they challenged Bruce. I will say one thing I wonder why the gracies never challenged the Hart Family that would have actually been imo the greatest fued in modern MMA.

(kidding)

I had to bold that just in case anyone wanted to go in on you and didn't read your statement thoroughly.
Rickson can't grapple with what he can't see

(kidding)

Another episode that could be included with the Gracie Challenge occurred when the Gracies challenged "Judo" Gene LeBell. The Gracies wanted to match Rickson Gracie with the American grappling master/professional wrestler/stuntman. Gene LeBell, who was almost 60 at the time, replied that Rickson was much younger than him and that he would instead grapple with Hélio Gracie who was closer in age to him. When confronted with this reply, the Gracies accepted the challenge on the condition thatGene LeBell drop down to the 140 pound weight class of the 80-year old Hélio Gracie. At that point, Gene LeBell allegedly didn't accept their counter offer because he was around 200 pounds and could never make it down to 140 pounds.

(kidding)

Another episode that could be included with the Gracie Challenge occurred when the Gracies challenged "Judo" Gene LeBell. The Gracies wanted to match Rickson Gracie with the American grappling master/professional wrestler/stuntman. Gene LeBell, who was almost 60 at the time, replied that Rickson was much younger than him and that he would instead grapple with Hélio Gracie who was closer in age to him. When confronted with this reply, the Gracies accepted the challenge on the condition thatGene LeBell drop down to the 140 pound weight class of the 80-year old Hélio Gracie. At that point, Gene LeBell allegedly didn't accept their counter offer because he was around 200 pounds and could never make it down to 140 pounds.

Originally Posted by damnitzdom

Bruce had me up to three miles a day, really at a good pace. We’d run the three miles in twenty-one or twenty-tow minutes. Just under eight minutes a mile [Note: when running on his own in 1968, Lee would get his time down to six-and-a-half minutes per mile].

So this morning he said to me “We’re going to go five.

Bruce had me up to three miles a day, really at a good pace. We’d run the three miles in twenty-one or twenty-tow minutes. Just under eight minutes a mile [Note: when running on his own in 1968, Lee would get his time down to six-and-a-half minutes per mile].

So this morning he said to me “We’re going to go five.

Originally Posted by illphillip

(kidding)

damb... they were asking LeBell to lose 60lbs to take that fight?  Gracie Challenge and their sometimes ridiculous requests.  Reminds me of...

0314pgpsaku2ki1.jpg

(kidding)

damb... they were asking LeBell to lose 60lbs to take that fight?  Gracie Challenge and their sometimes ridiculous requests.  Reminds me of...

0314pgpsaku2ki1.jpg

So modern day MMA artist are just athletes. But the guy who's only actual fights we see were on a motion picture reel appears to be an athlete and a fighter.

tumblr_lf6r0v46oM1qbvihuo1_500.gif

So modern day MMA artist are just athletes. But the guy who's only actual fights we see were on a motion picture reel appears to be an athlete and a fighter.

Because you might as well be dead. Seriously, if you always put limits on what you can do, physical or anything else, it’ll spread over into the rest of your life. It’ll spread into your work, into your morality, into your entire being. There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you. A man must constantly exceed his level.

Because you might as well be dead. Seriously, if you always put limits on what you can do, physical or anything else, it’ll spread over into the rest of your life. It’ll spread into your work, into your morality, into your entire being. There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you. A man must constantly exceed his level.

Originally Posted by Chuck Finster

Exactly my main beef with bruce lee fans.I bring up guys who were cross training in martial arts long before him and they get mad.To say modern mma fighters are merely just athletes is completely disrespectful to them and all the hard work they put in. If Bruce was such a great fighter he would have openly tested his style against the best fighters in the world. He had access to Karatekas,Wrestlers,Judokas,Muay Thai Fighters and Boxers all around his weight class and height.The fact he didnt is enough to take any of that greatest fighter of all time garbage with a grain salt.

To answer your question they were the main ones doing style vs style fights and were trying to perfect their skills and actual did show and prove why they were good.Oyama has the rep to back it up he is the man Ryu is based on and he truly was the world Warrior.

Originally Posted by Chuck Finster

Exactly my main beef with bruce lee fans.I bring up guys who were cross training in martial arts long before him and they get mad.To say modern mma fighters are merely just athletes is completely disrespectful to them and all the hard work they put in. If Bruce was such a great fighter he would have openly tested his style against the best fighters in the world. He had access to Karatekas,Wrestlers,Judokas,Muay Thai Fighters and Boxers all around his weight class and height.The fact he didnt is enough to take any of that greatest fighter of all time garbage with a grain salt.

To answer your question they were the main ones doing style vs style fights and were trying to perfect their skills and actual did show and prove why they were good.Oyama has the rep to back it up he is the man Ryu is based on and he truly was the world Warrior.

I saw an interview Jackie Chan had where he talked about how extras and other cast members would spar between shoots on Enter the Dragon. He was able to spar against Bruce, and Bruce caught him with a kick in the face and broke his cheekbone. Jackie said every morning for the last 30 years he wakes up and rubs his face and it still hurts.

I saw an interview Jackie Chan had where he talked about how extras and other cast members would spar between shoots on Enter the Dragon. He was able to spar against Bruce, and Bruce caught him with a kick in the face and broke his cheekbone. Jackie said every morning for the last 30 years he wakes up and rubs his face and it still hurts.

Back
Top Bottom