How has Russell Wilson managed to stay above the criticism aimed at black QBs?

Yea its a shame too for qb's like Tebow who had their character assassinated because he said he is a Christian and virgin had nothing to do with football. Does that count though because he's not black ?

Except no one assassinated Tebow's character. The criticism he receives is all directly related to his play on the field.

Meanwhile his supporters want him elevated because they agree with his beliefs in spite of his play on the field.

Tebow is made fun of and criticized for non football attributes all the time. I don't necessarily disagree with the beginning argument of this thread but some of these examples are poor

When Rush Limbaugh went out and said McNabb was overrated because he was black (one of the dumbest things I've ever heard, because McNabb was if anything underrated and over-criticized at the time), he spoke from the kind of perspective that a lot of people in this country see with. And that is the mentality that if a QB is black, that kid does not deserve a pass for any action- you have the right to tear apart every little thing he does to find a flaw you can pull out and tear him apart with.

I'm not so sure about that assumption, Rush got plenty of negative feedback for his ridiculous comments

And he still has a job

Arsenio had that Muslim leader on and got blackballed for over a decade....imus call em nappy headed **** and still getting money and still got that audience because there's a LARGE portion of America that likes that ****

But let y'all tell it and it's not like that

Tebow is made fun of and criticized for non football attributes all the time. I don't necessarily disagree with the beginning argument of this thread but some of these examples are poor

By fans.... Not by the mainstream sports media. I've certainly never heard ESPN criticize Tebow's character.

Which, by the way, has not been exemplary from a teammate standpoint.

Winning does have a lot to do with it, except Kaep got a lot of criticism for his tattoos while his squad was on a Super Bowl run.

Last year people were calling RGIII a savior. Hell, some people were calling the dude RGThreesus/Black Jesus around DC. Then the team went 3-13. If the Skins were in the playoffs right now none of these stories this year would've ever come out.

Cam was a team cancer last year and not a leader. Now, since his team is winning, he's a matured player who has grown up in front of our eyes. Yeah right, homie seems to be the same guy the only difference is that his team is winning. If the Panthers were losing again the media would be all over him again.

I'm not so sure about that assumption, Rush got plenty of negative feedback for his ridiculous comments

He's still tremendously popular with a certain portion of the country. I think it's fair to say he's tremendously popular with a large population of football fans.

And of course, if someone is a regular listener of Rush Limbaugh they certainly weren't shocked and appalled by that comment, because he says far stupider things on a daily basis.

When Rush Limbaugh went out and said McNabb was overrated because he was black (one of the dumbest things I've ever heard, because McNabb was if anything underrated and over-criticized at the time), he spoke from the kind of perspective that a lot of people in this country see with. And that is the mentality that if a QB is black, that kid does not deserve a pass for any action- you have the right to tear apart every little thing he does to find a flaw you can pull out and tear him apart with.

And he still has a job

Arsenio had that Muslim leader on and got blackballed for over a decade....imus call em nappy headed **** and still getting money and still got that audience because there's a LARGE portion of America that likes that ****

Let's not stray away from the issue too much, because I agree here, but the fact that Limbaugh and Imus have a job can't be held against the public who despise the two for their words. And we all know that these dudes weren't brought back for their ethical pursuits, but because bad publicity is better than no publicity and the publicity and listeners gained means dollars.

Guaranteed if Cam had won a Super Bowl then he'd get a pass for a lot of his actions going forward. You just can't use Rodgers and Brady as examples, because no matter what you say, winning and being the best in the game buys you a pass and there's examples of that everywhere. It's natural instinct to give leeway to those that have proven their success in their own respective fields.

Why is someone like Cam given so little time to grow as a player or a person compared to say, an Eli or a Luck or a Dalton?

Guaranteed if Cam had won a Super Bowl then he'd get a pass for a lot of his actions going forward. You just can't use Rodgers and Brady as examples, because no matter what you say, winning and being the best in the game buys you a pass and there's examples of that everywhere. It's natural instinct to give leeway to those that have proven their success in their own respective fields.

Why is someone like Cam given so little time to grow as a player or a person compared to say, an Eli or a Luck or a Dalton?

What has Luck or Eli done that has been anything close to the complaints about Cam? From the media, teammates and everything.

And he still has a job

I know Rush still has a radio show but had no idea Imus is still around. Forgot all about that guy

What has Luck or Eli done that has been anything close to the complaints about Cam? From the media, teammates and everything.

Cam never did anything!!!! It was nitpicking. I couldn't find one substantial thing in all of those media stories.

That's the point.

And Eli was very bad for his first few years.

I think he's given the same amount of time, which for any QB, is not much.  #1 draft picks with his potential aren't going to be given much of a grace period.

But expectations for Cam are just as high, if not higher than the other guys, especially someone like Dalton.  No one expects Dalton to take his team to a super bowl.  If Cam does it, he's probably going to be the super bowl MVP.

A lot of views I agree with in this thread. For what it's worth I think the tide is turning to a degree, since we will begin to see more AA QB's that are known more as pocket passers ( Bridgewater, and Winston) over other's that rely on pure athleticism for the position. Another example of a white QB who I think doesn't get enough criticism would be Matthew Stafford, who outside of that one 5k season has been somewhat of a bust seeing as how he was a #1 overall pick

And he still has a job

Let's not stray away from the issue too much, because I agree here, but the fact that Limbaugh and Imus have a job can't be held against the public who despise the two for their words. And we all know that these dudes weren't brought back for their ethical pursuits, but because bad publicity is better than no publicity and the publicity and listeners gained means dollars.

Public never despised their words cause if they did they both wouldn't be nationally syndicated....the truth is a lot of Americans enjoy this ignorance

Not to beat a dead horse but 200-300 years isn't a long time in history and mentally a lot of things haven't changed the way some folks like to sell it

It is what it is....im so immune to it

Cam never did anything!!!! It was nitpicking. I couldn't find one substantial thing in all of those media stories.

That's the point.

He wasn't exactly Manning-esque this season.  I know the Giants had more problems than just Eli, but man, his season was very, very forgettable.

All Cam did was have the best rookie season ever, improve on it in his sophomore season, and he was still attacked relentlessly for perceived slights like "being negative at a press conference after a loss" or " putting a towel on his head" or "not being a complete leader yet in year 2."

No, I don't think every #1 pick receives that level of mindless criticism after performing at an unprecedented level.

That's the point.

-Eli was a bad player and performed poorly. He didn't act like Cam.

-I couldn't stand listening to Cam's interviews. Kid sounded like a moron. Steve Smith wasn't a fan either. There were so many rumors about Cam. Another thing that hurt Cam was allegations and rumors about him in college. He didn't come into the league with a clean sheet.

-I also don't know why you or anyone else is complaining about Cam. I haven't heard anything negative about Cam all season.

Cam was always super hard on himself and Steve used to get on him about keeping his head up so don't compare your disdain to how Steve acted

He was being the older brother to the guy

-I couldn't stand listening to Cam's interviews. Kid sounded like a moron. Steve Smith wasn't a fan either. There were so many rumors about Cam. Another thing that hurt Cam was allegations and rumors about him in college. He didn't come into the league with a clean sheet.

-I also don't know why you or anyone else is complaining about Cam. I haven't heard anything negative about Cam all season.

Well RG3 became the new villain, so now Cam gets some room to breathe.

Not to be cute, but I think these are all different and unique cases. Eli is a Manning. Even so, from what I remember is that people hated this kid because they thought he was an entittled little brat who used his name to force San Diego's hand....And then he did the impossible only 3 years later and people realized he belonged.

Luck says and does the right thing. Period. He's like Russell and while he throws picks here and there, he never moped and gave off that woe-is-me vibe.

Dalton just sucks. He didn't have nearly the expectations that Cam did. That's a huge part because all the quarterbacks drafted with so much said towards their potential were grilled big time if they didn't say or do the right things. People shrug off Dalton because it confirms their suspicions.

If you're a GM or coach and you invest and believe in a kid and look to him to be the leader and driving force of your team for years to come, you probably don't like the way he carried himself either. Everyone deserves the chance to mature, I agree, but the media world is getting faster paced by the second and the harsh reality is everyone is just looking for a story...Regardless of the color of that story.

Last edited:

Well RG3 became the new villain, so now Cam gets some room to breathe.

Cam's team is winning and you can see a difference in his demeanor.

Bob bought into his brand. You can say he's young or not at fault but we'll just have to disagree. You could see this ego building up for a while now. Everything is me, me, me and his relationship with Snyder is a problem. All the rumors about his teammates not liking him. The video of his O line not helping him up a few times towards the end of his season. I'm not sure how he hasn't brought some of this on himself.

I'm not even close to understanding why the level of criticism Cam got last year, and the media portrayal of him, was fair.

Same goes for McNabb.

Same goes for RG3, though I know people feel differently about that at the moment.

"They love you right now, But the first bad decision...they are waiting man.They are waiting.” Allen Iverson

All Cam did was have the best rookie season ever, improve on it in his sophomore season, and he was still attacked relentlessly for perceived slights like "being negative at a press conference after a loss" or " putting a towel on his head" or "not being a complete leader yet in year 2."

No, I don't think every #1 pick receives that level of mindless criticism after performing at an unprecedented level.

It was because he said and acted differently in college. Things come easier when you're successful.

At Auburn he always seemed to stay humble, say the right things and preach the cliches as to worrying about the things he can control. Well ****...When you're winning and on cloud 9 with everyone in love with you it's easy to act that way.

Get to the NFL and suddenly this positive leader starts to mope around the sideline and steer away from teammates almost to completely avoid the situation entirely. His team was losing and his attitude changed with it. It painted a different picture of Cam.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom