I'm watching MTV

Originally Posted by iLike Turtles

I'm still mad they canceled TRL. that was really the only music countdown show on TV that I watched. I know they stopped playing music videos years ago, but I just don't understand why they would cancel their ONLY program that was actually dedicated to music. makes no sense to me.
If MTV never deviated from their initial model of playing music videos, they would have been rendered irrelevant years ago. The model doesn't work. At a certain time, MTV was literally the only place to watch music videos. Then The Box followed a few years later (and had a decent run), but when accessibility increases, you have to diversify into other things to stay fresh. That's how something like Yo! MTV Raps comes about. It sort of sticks to the same format, but adds a little more. MTV is a pioneer in entertainment television, so they had to branch out.

Slowly you start pushing your way into standard programming blocks (30 or 60 minutes) that are more attractive to more advertisers. If you offer diverse programming, you get diverse advertisers. There's no incentive to playing music videos all day, when there are other stations that do the same thing (add in the Internet). At this point, you're playing music videos to make you feel better about the fact you're called "Music Television." And nowadays, with Youtube, you can watch any video any time. There's no reason for MTV to play videos during peak hours. That's why they added specialty channels (MTV Hits, MTV Jams, etc.). You can get your fix. Also, the main channel plays videos all night and into the morning, so if you really want to watch videos, either stay up or set your DVR.

MTV James FTW...
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

Teen Wolf, RJ Berger, Jersey Shore are super dope.

MTV2 is piff tho. Martin, Wayans Bros., Malcolm and Eddie, etc.

It's going on a decade run of whackness and seemingly only gets worse by the year.

Certain shows on MTV is why I understand ppl don't have televisions altogether.

MTV targets teen audiences and they do a good !@@ job. We think it's wack cuz most of us outgrew it already

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

Certain shows on MTV is why I understand ppl don't have televisions altogether.
This line of reasoning doesn't work anymore. There are hundreds of channels now. The TV isn't the Idiot Box it once was.

Originally Posted by silverswoosh

I only watch Jersey Shore, RW, and the Challenges. I #$%$ with MTV Jams heavily, though.
Back in college, MTV Jams was relatively new (no commercials, no annoying promos like "Hot 5 of Summer '05"). I don't think we watched anything else. We'd just leave it on. Late night old school blocks were killer.

Originally Posted by melofan15

MTV targets teen audiences and they do a good !@@ job. We think it's wack cuz most of us outgrew it already

Yeah, I stopped watching once I entered high school. 

Back
Top Bottom