Is anybody really a Russell Westbrook fan?

Originally Posted by Big J 33

So they're good dudes and won't say anything to the media you say... or there's no issue and that's why they're saying nothing.

And "you can LITERALLY see the tension"
laugh.gif
I must be watching a different team then. I don't see players ignoring Westbrook's high fives, I don't see them not picking him up off the floor if he gets fouled, I don't see them giving him dirty looks the entire game, or any other obvious problems. I also see plenty of examples of him giving up the ball to Durant late in games, early in the shot clock, and letting KD go to work. I can't recall seeing Westbrook constantly wave off Durant or ignore the coach's plays, either. Could you see things during the game that would support your case? Sure.. but I'm sure we could apply that same effort to ANY star player on any team and say "see... his teammates dislike him".

He will never be Steve Nash or Chris Paul, but so long as they win.. that won't matter. I can understand if people prefer pure point guards or players who are humble and reserved.. but that doesn't automatically make a scoring PG with supreme confidence impossible to like. 

Rose
Francis
B Diddy
Tony Parker
Gilbert Arenas

None of those guys had the same issues.  I think Marbury was one player that you could tell was "doing too much" and his teammates had poor body language.  Maybe Durant is the issue.  Every player above was the best player on the team besides Parker.  A team can only have one leader. 

I just don't see Harden, KD, Ibaka, etc. showing the type of trust and joy that guys like Boozer and Noah show for Rose.  Even Gil was a knucklehead but Jamison and Caron told people how much they respected Gil and how nice he was.  They loved it. Baron in Golden State was amazing to watch.  J-Rich and co. took his lead.  Steve Francis had less talent until Yao came but that was short lived.  But Cuttino aka his butt buddy loved him along with everybody else on team.

I just think in order to win a ring your PG has to be unselfish and a great leader.  I don't think he's that.  Look at the PGs that win rings.  Look how people rally around them.  Why would I even have this thread or the media have questions if this wasn't true? Russell needs to mature or get traded because he will never be better than KD.  On a personal level I don't knock him for wanting to be great but you gotta understand when you doing too much.  They can be a great 1, 2 punch.  But is he making 3-15 better?  Thats the question. 

Always been a fan of RW0 since his Bruin days. Best thing I like about him is there's no player in the league with more fire and desire to get better and to win.

Originally Posted by jumpmantwenty3

Always been a fan of RW0 since his Bruin days. Best thing I like about him is there's no player in the league with more fire and desire to get better and to win.
There's this point guard in Chicago who'd like to have a word with you.

i despise him at numerous points during games. He takes questionable shots, is a point guard but i cant remember the last time dude had a 10 assists game. on fast breaks he'll pull up but alot of times he shoots on the way down and bricks it. he just frustrates me like crazy. What really bothers me is the dude could be top 3 pg in the league if he could lower his damn turnovers and bring his assists up. you would think he would with KD and Harden, thats guaranteed assists. i want him to do well, we'll see if he improves

You're still just making assumptions and have bought nothing of substance other than obviously you don't like him so you assume nobody else doesand pointed out that I am a Thunder fan as if that has any relevance to the fact I can do much than pull things out of my +!* not supposr. Quick, who is the top assist combo in the league? Both players certainly resigned quickly without even considering free agency, for 2 guys who supposedly hate each other. KD even told the Thunder not to even give him the early opt out option when he signed his extension that they offered him.

Amazing we we have 2 23 y/o all stars locked up for max yrs playing some of the best ball of their young careers and all people talk about are alleged problems. Barring something catastrophic , team is in a good place with years to come and it starts with their dynamic duo.

If this thread about "is anyone a fan of Russ" or is it "can Russ and KD win rings" or "can Russ be a great player" or anything else.

If its about being a fan.. That's been answered. If its the other stuff, then that's another story. This thread exists and the media talks about it because people like pointing the finger and criticizing and Russ is an easy target for a lot of reasons.

Some are fair and justified (such as wanting you PG to do things Russ doesn't do yet) and others ignore the playcalling and problems of the coach or not having a reliable post player or not having anyone besides Harden and KD who can get you points or rebounding or anything else. Its obvious at this point people want to see Westbrook struggle so they can say "see, I told you so" and don't give him credit when its due and ignore mistakes the rest of the team makes.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

If this thread about "is anyone a fan of Russ" or is it "can Russ and KD win rings" or "can Russ be a great player" or anything else.

If its about being a fan.. That's been answered. If its the other stuff, then that's another story. This thread exists and the media talks about it because people like pointing the finger and criticizing and Russ is an easy target for a lot of reasons.

Some are fair and justified (such as wanting you PG to do things Russ doesn't do yet) and others ignore the playcalling and problems of the coach or not having a reliable post player or not having anyone besides Harden and KD who can get you points or rebounding or anything else. Its obvious at this point people want to see Westbrook struggle so they can say "see, I told you so" and don't give him credit when its due and ignore mistakes the rest of the team makes.

Cant blame anyone for being a fan. Just asking

And he deserves to be an AllStar.

Just saying he does things that hurt him and might allow him to win more or have a bigger fanbase.

Play him at the 2 (ala Wade) and I'll be a fan. I just prefer my point guards to be much more unselfish.

Wait, dude is shooting 47% this year? We talking bout assists? Keep scoring bro. Score more, even.

That's how their damn team is built anyway --- 3-headed monster.

Don't like Westbrook, but Thunder wouldn't be a contender if it wasn't for him.

Obviously Durant is the key player, but Westbrook puts up big numbers and doesn't get the credit he deserves.

I like watching Westbrook play, but watching OKC as a whole is really fun to watch. To answer the question if I'm a fan or not, it can go either way. When I watch him, he can do some amazing things, especially on the fast break. But sometimes he makes questionable decisions, especially offensively. We all know he is the score first PG, and he doesn't have the skill set like a CP3 or Nash. This dude can flat out score which is what OKC needs him to do, but at the same time, they also need a guy that can set guys up like KD and Harden. Time to time RW can do that, but sometimes he just has this mentality of "its my way or the highway." There are many times during an OKC game where RW can pass it to KD or Harden, but he will just jack up a wild shot. 

I won't be mad if the Thunder beat the Heat and win the Finals. Can't stand the those clowns in Miami . What grown man walk around wearing reading glass with clear lense lol

Westbrook has been playing pretty well as of late. He doesn't get as many assists as your typical star point guard and he turns the ball over alot, but for a point guard he gives you a good amount of points, rebounds, steals, and occasionally a block. Keep in mind this guy is only 23, so naturally his ball iq will increase as the seasons go by, which should result in a much better assist to turnover ratio.

Anyways, Brook's offensive scheme flows well with the players on that roster (OKC is 3rd in PPG in the league) and they are tied for the best record in the league with Russ playing the way everyone is criticizing him for.

You know the saying "if it aint broke, don't fix it."

I'll say one thing.

He certainly appears to have at least the same if not more drive than his superstar partner. Where is Durant?

Last year in the playoffs I became a fan of him because despite being down 3-1 versus us he was still out there competing like crazy. The Thunder's season was on line and he was the only player on the floor that wasn't conceding anything. Dude was snagging rebounds over Tyson Chanlder.

Fast forward to this year's Finals and I see more of the same.

He's my favorite non-Maverick in a while, he's not perfect but I would take him on my team ANYDAY.

Russell has become one of my top 5 favorite players in the league after this season. F the haters

The slander this guy receives is just crazy. I would love to have him on my team.

Back
Top Bottom