Is Jay-Z too old to Rap

i guess people these days dont care about talent

****** will watch a 40 minute amber rose interview but they not trying to hear a new jay z album. **** is crazy

And why rap hasn't continued to grow as an art form since the 90's, and has regressed.

Grandmaster Caz & Melle Mel > Kool Moe Dee & LL > Rakim & Kane > Nas & Big....

Is Beyonce supposed to retire and make way for someone else, because she's 30?

Rap is so bad, because damn near everyone thinks they can rap. All you need is melody and a uptempo beat. No lyricism. No Skills.

Rap was the all star game, because it was the best of the best. Now it's your local playground.

I see what you're saying but I disagree. I obviously wasn't around during the Caz & Melle Mel or Kool Moe Dee days, but if social media was around back then I bet it would appear that everybody thought they could rap back then too.

Also, I think rap is doing the complete opposite of regressing. If you look at the elite of rap today, it's better than rap has ever been. You take a J. Cole, a Kendrick Lamar, a Drake even, and they are really skilled at what they do and I think rap is evolving to a degree. At the very least it isn't regressing.

At the same time though, you never judge whether or not something is moving forward by looking at the top or the peak of it because that'll always be good. You measure it by the artist whom aren't in the Drake, or K Dot class so while I vehemently disagree with what your point, I get it.

The funniest part about all of this is that, some of the same people trashing Jay are in other posts big upping wack artists :lol:

I personally don't really need another Jay-Z album, but that's because he's dropped 14 of them! Not because he's wack. Dudes hate Jay just because he's Jay.

We'll see what people have to say about cats like Drake when he's 40+. Except his raps won't even last him that long...

The funniest part about all of this is that, some of the same people trashing Jay are in other posts big upping wack artists :lol:

I personally don't really need another Jay-Z album, but that's because he's dropped 14 of them! Not because he's wack. Dudes hate Jay just because he's Jay.

We'll see what people have to say about cats like Drake when he's 40+. Except his raps won't even last him that long...

Oh word, his raps won't last him that long? Tell me what else do you know?

Thats what I said, but homedude was saying that he lacks the story and capabilities to make a decent album anymore. 

And why rap hasn't continued to grow as an art form since the 90's, and has regressed.

Rap is so bad, because damn near everyone thinks they can rap. All you need is melody and a uptempo beat. No lyricism. No Skills.

Rap was the all star game, because it was the best of the best. Now it's your local playground.
I dont think rap has gotten worse I think it has just expanded. If people dont fck with mainstream they can dig up some internet rapper with a throw back flow. I think its steeped into so many genres that no one knows what theyre talking about when they say  "real hip hop"

I just wish he'd care like Nas and Em (dude raps but ******** but bars are masterfully constructed) do and
put together some quality. Maybe his bars wee so effortless, he thinks he can still get away with that.
Not sayin he should never rap, but if you do, respect the ppl who put you where you are and supply the bars.
Idk man, I feel like he moves with the times and what he feels like. He really has nothing to prove and could continue to have fun and I would still listen. 

he not too old. but his flow and lyrics are really too old.

jay-z fell off a long time ago.

I dont think rap has gotten worse I think it has just expanded. If people dont fck with mainstream they can dig up some internet rapper with a throw back flow. I think its steeped into so many genres that no one knows what theyre talking about when they say  "real hip hop"

Its not even a matter of people wanting to hear "a throwback flow". Rap is supposed to evolve and expand. People are just starting to get tired of an unbalanced mainstream of uninspired music where everyone is copying from each other and everyone wants to look like each other

I see what your saying, but I don't think they all look alike. Nobody looks like young thug. And I'm sure you know, you cave ignore mainstream acts like kendrick.

It's bizarre to me that Rap is the ONLY genre that shuns it's elders. 

It's also bizarre to me that some of Rap's elders have to try to act and look like the youth in an attempt to stay relevant.

It's sad...and one of the reasons why the genre has gone to **** commercially.

I agree with this 100%

And IMO there's no age limit on making music, I think rappers skills actuall get better with age.

It's bizarre to me that Rap is the ONLY genre that shuns it's elders. 

It's also bizarre to me that some of Rap's elders have to try to act and look like the youth in an attempt to stay relevant.

It's sad...and one of the reasons why the genre has gone to **** commercially.

I agree with this 100%

And IMO there's no age limit on making music, I think rappers skills actuall get better with age.

Compare NaS, Jay, DMX, GFK and Scarface's first two albums and then their last two albums. Big difference. Effort, content, skill and interest.

Rap is a young man game. Most rappers will tell you themselves they won't be rapping that long because they know it's wack to be 40 and rapping.

I'm a big GFK fan and his music is still good but I've heard enough at this moment.

Last edited:
but that's what I'm saying, if the mainstream is so unbalanced, listen to bishop nehiru, when you're tired of that listen to ty dolla. I think that kendrick is a good start to blurring the lines between "real" rap and evolved rap

but that's what I'm saying, if the mainstream is so unbalanced, listen to bishop nehiru, when you're tired of that listen to ty dolla. I think that kendrick is a good start to blurring the lines between "real" rap and evolved rap

Ty Dolla Sign represents what's wrong with rap today. Good producer and writer but he can't rap or sing yet he's making music as a solo artist. I remember back when producers stared rapping in the 90s and it was forbidden. I miss those days.

I think you just have a real particular idea of what's good. I think dude can sing, when I listen to him I hear many overlaying harmonies that are reminiscent of t pain (not just the autotune). You think hes bad but I think he's catchy af. I believe making mainstream music is more complicated than we make it.

Ty Dolla Sign is definitely catchy, but if you think he can sing, that's a whole different issue man :/

That wouldn't have passed for "being able to sing" in the 90's, that's for sure.

Jay just ain't got nothing to talk about anymore. Doesn't seem as if rap is a top priority for him. And that's cool I guess. Dude is all about his business.

Last edited:
Ty Dolla Sign represents what's wrong with rap today. Good producer and writer but he can't rap or sing yet he's making music as a solo artist. I remember back when producers stared rapping in the 90s and it was forbidden. I miss those days.

See this is my point.

Your opinion on Ty is a singular one. He's cranking out hits left and right. He's melodic, catchy, and his music makes people have a great time. I would say that he represents a lot of things that are right in popular music today. You wouldn't be wrong for your opinion, but it is your opinion.

If you feel that way fine, but him representing everything that's wrong with rap today? That's a stretch man. Huge stretch. If Nate Dogg can get jiggy with his music in his day, then Ty is just fine.

Ty Dolla Sign is definitely catchy, but if you think he can sing, that's a whole different issue man :/

That wouldn't have passed for "being able to sing" in the 90's, that's for sure.

Meh, in my opinion pure vocal ability is just one element that makes a song. So him not being able to sing is (and I know this is going to sound blasphemous) sort of irrelevant because the music he makes worse. Great production, and it's sonically pleasing. Sometimes it's that simple.

The thing w/ the singing is...none of these ****** like Ty are really out here trying to be some breathtaking vocalist. 

They're basically just harmonizing. That's no different than what alot of guys in the Blues era did. 

The thing w/ the singing is...none of these ****** like Ty are really out here trying to be some breathtaking vocalist. 

They're basically just harmonizing. That's no different than what alot of guys in the Blues era did. 

Nail on the head right here. Couldn't have said it better

See this is my point.

Your opinion on Ty is a singular one. He's cranking out hits left and right. He's melodic, catchy, and his music makes people have a great time. I would say that he represents a lot of things that are right in popular music today. You wouldn't be wrong for your opinion, but it is your opinion.

If you feel that way fine, but him representing everything that's wrong with rap today? That's a stretch man. Huge stretch. If Nate Dogg can get jiggy with his music in his day, then Ty is just fine.
agreed

Back
Top Bottom