IS KOBE BRYANT...OVERRATED?

Let me ask you CP1708, do you think Kobe has been an "elite player" in the league for 17 years??
tumblr_lyogkvubQ11r5ap8no1_500.gif

What's the connection of this question in kobe being overrated?
People in here have said Kobe has been an "elite player" in the league for 17 years.  Kobe has been an "elite player" in the league, but damn sure not for 17 years.  Just goes to show Kobe lovers just go and run with anything nowadays. 

Can some one explain to me how Kobe is a better player than Hakeem Olajuwon?

13 seasons of 20+, 11+, 3+ blocks, 2 steals on over 50% shooting...

All times blocks leader, top 10 scorer...MVP, DPOY, Finals MVP in the same year.

A 7 footer that consitently did this to the greatest big men in history...

641423_o.gif

Y'all are prisoners of the moment, marketing and the media.

Kobe is not better player than Hakeem was.

Point blank.

Period.

Last edited:
^ Hes not better than Olajuwon. But Kobe fans will tell you hes better cause he has 5 rings and scored 81 points in a game.

Deuce, Kobe has been an elite player for anywhere from 14-15 years. His first 2, certainly not, but from 99 on up to today, yeah. Give or take a year if you felt he was injured too much, or bad year, etc. If he makes it thru next year, you're looking at an easy 15+ elite level years. Truly absurd next to just about anybody else. Not a lot of players, EVER to be at 15+ elite years. Any era, any circumstance.

Allen, agree with your 99-2010, but then what do you do if he goes on to have an all around great year this year? If he somehow does 25-5-5 at 34, year 17, All NBA, all star, etc. How do you fit something like that in? I agree that adding up totals and accolades doesn't neccesarily = better, but the flip side to that is how do you stop the clock when he's putting up seasons like this? This isn't exactly Shaq/Barkley/Pippen hanging on type seasons, is it? Now if he falls off the cliff the next couple months, no need to worry, but if he does in fact maintain this season's play, then what?

Parker has never even been a top 5 PG in the league at any time in his career.
laugh.gif
mean.gif
Winner of the most ridiculous post in this ridiculous thread.
mean.gif
laugh.gif
Pick a year then? I cant think of one year he was ever top 5. I give him top 10 but top 5?
Come on man, dont do TP like that DBD. Last year alone proves this post wrong. He was top 5 last year I dont want to hear otherwise.

^That just proved to me that Do Be Doo doesn't know basketball. Most of his posts are comical, and TP never been a top 5 pg in the league? :smh: C'mon son

Can someone explain to me how Kobe is better than Magic Johnson was?

19 points, 11 assists, 7 rebounds and 2 steals for his career on damn near 55% shooting :x

5 chips, 3 MVPs, 3 Finals MVPs, top 5 assists man, second all time triple double leader.

454599_o.gif

These Kobe haters are nothing more than a bunch of wannabe Skip Bayless' saying things for shock value :lol:

Come on man, dont do TP like that DBD. Last year alone proves this post wrong. He was top 5 last year I dont want to hear otherwise.

When people talk about top PGs in the league, very few have Parker in their top 5. His name is brought up after CP, Rondo, Rose, Westbrook, D-Will, even Kyrie. He was top 5 last year when Spurs became an offensive team but in crunch time, they still give the ball to Duncan.

These Kobe haters are nothing more than a bunch of wannabe Skip Bayless' saying things for shock value :lol:

How is thinking a player is overrated equated to hating? Thats like saying someone thinking a player is underated is Riding

Last edited:
Allen, agree with your 99-2010, but then what do you do if he goes on to have an all around great year this year? If he somehow does 25-5-5 at 34, year 17, All NBA, all star, etc. How do you fit something like that in? I agree that adding up totals and accolades doesn't neccesarily = better, but the flip side to that is how do you stop the clock when he's putting up seasons like this? This isn't exactly Shaq/Barkley/Pippen hanging on type seasons, is it? Now if he falls off the cliff the next couple months, no need to worry, but if he does in fact maintain this season's play, then what?

I don't have many guys ahead of him, but the ones I do - I don't think it'd matter personally as far as jumping them. If it's another WCF trip or further while being the best player on the team during that run, that adds another a dynamic - for sure. In that case, I'd comfortably place him ahead of Magic then - which I'm not there yet.

Or if this is the case through next season or even the year after, then I'd take a much longer look at his longevity, because then you're hitting a point where FEW ever got to. But there's enough examples of 34-35 year olds playing at a real high level in the past 15 years for me to not get crazy about it yet. (Malone, Hakeem, Ewing, Jordan..even KG and Nash lately - not to Kobe's level, but they never were to start with). 36, 37+ seems to get more rare based on history.

Can some one explain how Kobe is a better player than Larry Bird was?

24 points, 6 assists, 10 rebounds, 2 steals for his career on 50% shooting..... :x :x

50% FG, 40% 3 pointer, 90% FT twice.

3 chips, 3 MVPs, 2 Finals MVPs, 5th all time in triple doubles

Bigger, much more efficient and better at more components of the game than Kobe,

VwE86o.gif

1gndiv.gif

Last edited:
That's 3 players that are flat out better than Kobe Brant, do I need to keep going?....

Y'all got quiet all of a sudden :lol:

Kobe is a 25, 5 & 5 player fortunate enough to play in the media age, with the greatest NBA franchise, with the best ownership, with the greatest coach in NBA history, the most dominating player of his era and meet up against Eastern Conference teams that were merely Finals formalities (Pacers, 76ers, Orlando, Boston with an injured KG).

HE IS NOT ONE OF THE TOP 5 GREATEST PLAYERS IN NBA HISTORY.

And the fact that so many people think he is, is a testament to his "overratedness".

Last edited:
That's 3 players that are flat out better than Kobe Brant, do I need to keep going?....

Kobe is a 25, 5 & 5 player fortunate enough to play in the media age, with the greatest NBA franchise, with the best ownership, with the greatest coach in NBA history, the most dominating player of his era and meet up against Eastern Conference teams that were merely Finals formalities (Pacers, 76ers, Orlando, Boston with an injured KG).

And the fact that so many people think he is, is a testament to his "overratedness".

25 5 and 5 is actually like 27, 6 and 5 since he became a starter, and not counting those 140 games off the bench as an 18 year old. But I doubt you would actually get, or understand that.

And you posted 3 great players, and gifs.

Larry was great for how long? 10-11 years, if that? Never won back to back titles, playing with 2-3 other HOFers his entire career. You find this interesting? Kobe did, and I'm not even gonna count the Shaq years, I know you folks hate that, so we'll just go with the 09-10 titles and pretend the 3-peat didn't happen, so you can make your argument stronger. :wink: ) Great player Larry was, no question, also played in a faster paced era, more possession, more shots, etc etc, yes? You factor that in? Prolly not, but no biggie.

KG was injured in 2010? We factor that now? You aren't being selective, right? You're being fair? So when Bynum and Ariza missed the 08 finals, and we played Vlad Radmonovic, Luke Walton and Ronny Turiaf instead of Bynum and Ariza (40% of our starting lineup) you mentioned that, yes? I mean, cuz ya know, KG was "injured" in 2010. It was 09 that he was hurt I believe, but that's ok. I'll let you keep your point.

I'm almost positive that many in here, MANY, have said anywhere from 5-10 and been fine with that. But you insist on saying that being from the top 5, to say the top 8, makes him, overrated. 3-4 whole spots. Overrated. :lol:

Deuce, Doo, give that man a couple of reps from you, he belongs to your club. You all are now a threesome. :smokin

People have the nerve to compare Kobe to this man....many saying that they are close in comparison, some saying that he is better......and y'all want to tell me that Bean is not crazily overrated?.....

images

Read it and weep. The dozens of posters in this thread with the Kobe avys calling me a troll, hater and idiot....let this burn into your brain cells. Kobe is nowhere close to the player that Jordan was. He is a cheap clone of MJ who's status is being boosted by MJ's legacy.

Regular Seasons over 30 points per game:
[COLOR=#red]Michael Jordan: 8[/COLOR]
Kobe Bryant: 2

Regular Seasons over 32 points per game:
[COLOR=#red]Michael Jordan: 5[/COLOR]
Kobe Bryant: 1

Regular Seasons under 50% shooting:
Kobe Bryant: 16
[COLOR=#red]Michael Jordan: 9[/COLOR]

Regular Seasons under 48% shooting:
Kobe Bryant: 16

Regular Seasons over 50% shooting:
Kobe Bryant: 0
[COLOR=#red]Michael Jordan: 6[/COLOR]

Regular Seasons over 52% shooting:
[COLOR=#red]Michael Jordan: 4[/COLOR]

Regular season
Games with under 50% shooting:

[COLOR=#red]Michael Jordan: 489[/COLOR]
Kobe Bryant: 721

Regular season
Games with under 48% shooting:

[COLOR=#red]Michael Jordan: 458[/COLOR]
Kobe Bryant: 691

Regular season
Games with under 46% shooting:

[COLOR=#red]Michael Jordan: 388[/COLOR]
Kobe Bryant: 611

Regular season
Games with under 44% shooting:

[COLOR=#red]Michael Jordan: 296[/COLOR]
Kobe Bryant: 517

Regular season
Games with under 42% shooting:

[COLOR=#red]Michael Jordan: 234[/COLOR]
Kobe Bryant: 450

Regular season
Games with under 40% shooting:

[COLOR=#red]Michael Jordan: 158[/COLOR]
Kobe Bryant: 365

Regular season
Games with under 35% shooting:

[COLOR=#red]Michael Jordan: 88[/COLOR]
Kobe Bryant: 221

Regular season
Games with under 30% shooting:

[COLOR=#red]Michael Jordan: 41[/COLOR]
Kobe Bryant: 116

Regular season
Games with 60% or better shooting:

[COLOR=#red]Michael “Air” Jordan: 173[/COLOR]
Kobe “Bean” Bryant: 133

Regular season
Games with 50% or better shooting:

[COLOR=#red]Michael “Air” Jordan: 556[/COLOR]
Kobe “Bean” Bryant: 440

Regular season
Games with 20 shots made on 60% or better shooting:

[COLOR=#red]MJ: 16[/COLOR]
Kobe: 3

Regular season
Games with 50 points & less than 10 free throw attempts:

[COLOR=#red]MJ: 3[/COLOR]
Kobe: 1

NBA Playoffs
50 point or higher games:

Kobe: 1
[COLOR=#red]MJ: 8[/COLOR]

NBA Playoffs
40 point or higher games:

Kobe: 13
[COLOR=#red]MJ: 38[/COLOR]

NBA Playoffs
30 point or higher games:

Kobe: 88
[COLOR=#red]MJ: 109[/COLOR]

Regular season & Playoffs combined
40 point or higher games:

[COLOR=#red]MJ: 211[/COLOR]
Kobe: 125

30 point or higher games:

[COLOR=#red]MJ: 671[/COLOR]
Kobe: 472

Regular season
Games with 40 points and under 50% shooting:

[COLOR=#red]MJ: 29[/COLOR]
Kobe: 49

Yes, that’s right, almost half of Kobe’s 40 point games involved missing more shots than made ones.

Regular Season Turnovers:
Kobe: 3432 in 1161 games
[COLOR=#red]MJ: 2924 in 1072 games[/COLOR]

Regular season
50 point games with under 50% shooting:

[COLOR=#red]Michael Jordan: 1 of his 31 games (15-31, 48%)[/COLOR]
Kobe Bryant: 6 of his 24 games

Regular season
50 point games with under 45% shooting:

[COLOR=#red]Michael Jordan: 0[/COLOR]
Kobe Bryant: 3

Kobe has only 7 career 50 point games or higher against top 10 rated defenses. Jordan had 22 career 50 point games or higher against top 10 rated NBA defenses.

Michael Jordan saved his best performances for the best competition. Kobe Bryant bottom feeds.

Scoring titles:
[COLOR=#red]Michael Jordan: 10[/COLOR]

NBA Playoff runs under 50% shooting:
Kobe: 15 (every year)
[COLOR=#red]MJ: 8[/COLOR]

NBA Playoff runs over 50% shooting:
Kobe Bryant: 0 (never)

NBA Playoff runs over 30ppg:
Kobe Bryant: 4
[COLOR=#red]Michael Jordan: 12[/COLOR]

Seasons with at least 200 steals:
[COLOR=#red]Michael Air Jordan: 6[/COLOR]

Seasons with at least 150 steals:
[COLOR=#red]Michael Air Jordan: 9[/COLOR]

Seasons with at least 100 blocks:
[COLOR=#red]Michael Air Jordan: 2[/COLOR]

Seasons with at least 75 blocks:
[COLOR=#red]Michael Air Jordan: 4[/COLOR]

Defensive Player of the Year awards
[COLOR=#red]Michael Jordan: 1
[/COLOR]Kobe Bryant: 0

NBA Finals Most Valuable Player awards:
[COLOR=#red]Michael Jordan: 6 in 6 tries[/COLOR]
Kobe Bryant: 2 in 7 tries

Games with less than 3 assists:
[COLOR=#red]Michael Air Jordan: 179[/COLOR]
Kobe Bryant: 294

Games with less than 2 assists:

[COLOR=#red]Michael Air Jordan: 61[/COLOR]
Kobe Bryant: 157

Games with 0 assists:

[COLOR=#red]Michael Air Jordan: 7[/COLOR]
Kobe Bryant: 61

Games with at least 15 rebounds:

[COLOR=#red]Michael Air Jordan: 10[/COLOR]
Kobe Bryant: 5

Games with at least 12 rebounds:

[COLOR=#red]Michael Air Jordan: 66[/COLOR]
Kobe Bryant: 32

How can he not be overrated after reading that list and then frequently hearing opinions like this?

:smh: :smh: :smh: :x

michael-jordan-best-lay-up.gif

Michael-Jordan-Dunk-on-Patrick-Ewing.gif

1979092_o.gif

Last edited:

25 5 and 5 is actually like 27, 6 and 5 since he became a starter, and not counting those 140 games off the bench as an 18 year old. But I doubt you would actually get, or understand that.

And you posted 3 great players, and gifs.

Larry was great for how long? 10-11 years, if that? Never won back to back titles, playing with 2-3 other HOFers his entire career. You find this interesting? Kobe did, and I'm not even gonna count the Shaq years, I know you folks hate that, so we'll just go with the 09-10 titles and pretend the 3-peat didn't happen, so you can make your argument stronger. :wink: ) Great player Larry was, no question, also played in a faster paced era, more possession, more shots, etc etc, yes? You factor that in? Prolly not, but no biggie.

KG was injured in 2010? We factor that now? You aren't being selective, right? You're being fair? So when Bynum and Ariza missed the 08 finals, and we played Vlad Radmonovic, Luke Walton and Ronny Turiaf instead of Bynum and Ariza (40% of our starting lineup) you mentioned that, yes? I mean, cuz ya know, KG was "injured" in 2010. It was 09 that he was hurt I believe, but that's ok. I'll let you keep your point.

I'm almost positive that many in here, MANY, have said anywhere from 5-10 and been fine with that. But you insist on saying that being from the top 5, to say the top 8, makes him, overrated. 3-4 whole spots. Overrated. :lol:

Deuce, Doo, give that man a couple of reps from you, he belongs to your club. You all are now a threesome. :smokin

Man go sit down....trying to downplay Larry Legend. Y'all Kobe stans are some else :lol:

Larry played against and lit up the high flying, volume scoring Young MJ. He played in what many consider to be the greatest era in NBA history. He was a big forward that shot lights out, rebounded with the best and could pass like a PG. He is a a top 5 great in any era, any which way you cut it....and a better all around player than Kobe by any estimation.

That 08 Orlando Finals teams wasn't one of the weakest in recent NBA history?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom