IS KOBE BRYANT...OVERRATED?

So because Coach Nick maybe is a harsh critic of Westbrook his analysis of Lebron is invalid? :lol:

Its like saying because you are a critic of Kobe, none of your other opinions are valid? :lol:

maybe is a harsh critic
No, not "maybe is a harsh critic," his opinions are at such a Skip Bayless-like level that it makes me question his basketball knowledge and/or his sincerity in general. He's become a piñata on basketball twitter; I don't think most take him seriously.

But like I said, I didn't watch the vid.

I think the same way about you and Kobe Bryant

Especially in regards to the All-Defense teams

I really think your logic on that subject is flawed

That's fine man, because the feeling is mutual. He made 1st team All-Defense in '10-'11 and 2nd team in '11-'12 when he was a below-average defensive player by every metric in addition to the eye test. But you said he deserved it because he made "clutch defensive plays."

He wasn't even average defensively in either of those seasons, let alone an elite, All-Defense level.

Last edited:
He is among the top of the list of All Time All Defensive selections but somehow was he a below average defensive player? :lol:

In your analysis the All Defensive teams were bogus but I asked could you even name any other below average defensive player who even earned one All Defensive selection, let only multiple selections. To my recollection you didn't have answer to that.

They have been naming Alll-Defensive teams since the 1969 and they have been fairly accurate but somehow one player.....Kobe Bean Bryant has been able to fool NBA GM, coaches or ( ball boys) :lol: for 12 seasons?

Kobe was an elite defender through 08. Then a solid defender through 10.

When he started having knee problems ('10-11/pre-German treatment) is when his defense went south. He has stretches where he'll go back to elite defense, for a few possessions or quarters, sometimes a few games... But overall he couldn't hold up playing the way he does on offense and defense.

Last edited:
You really think coaches would keep letting Kobe be named to the first team if he wasn't still making clutch defensive plays?
"Clutch Defensive plays"
laugh.gif

Laker fans were even laughing at you.
Originally posted by NobleKane

i dont hate kobe he was one of my favorite players.

Kobe stinks on defense.

Has been for the past few years

Only clutch defense he displayed was the one time vs lebron in the all star game.

Thats it.

Doubt tgat gets him on on the first team
Originally posted by PMatic

Kobe hasn't played defense in four years, stop it.
LeBron didn't deserve to make the All-Defensive team last year, either. He was average defensively all season.

That's not hard to admit at all. This is the difference between a fan like me and a groupie like yourself.

He is among the top of the list of All Time All Defensive selections but somehow was he a below average defensive player?
laugh.gif

In your analysis the All Defensive teams were bogus but I asked could you even name any other below average defensive player who even earned one All Defensive selection, let only multiple selections. To my recollection you didn't have answer to that.

They have been naming Alll-Defensive teams since the 1969 and they have been fairly accurate but somehow one player.....Kobe Bean Bryant has been able to fool NBA GM, coaches or ( ball boys)
laugh.gif
for 12 seasons?
Hence the thread title.

Rated.

Over.

Obviously, you say no.

Wow, I didn't know people actually really believed Kobe deserved to be on those last few All defensive teams. :smh:

I thought it was common knowledge that he got in based off his "name" rather than what he actually did. Like JD617 said, same with Bron last year. He got in from his "name" too.

Last edited:
:lol:

Finally named one guy who was a questionable selection( took you like 6 months) :lol:

And that was under a different voting structure than Kobe selections

2 Laker fans were laughing at me

One Lakers fan just posted he could play Elite defense in stretches

You know what?

These are all just opinions

People have opinions about alot things

But the FACTS are that Kobe did earn NBA All Defensive Selections in 2011 and 2012, therefore he will be considered a great defender for those seasons

And none of your internet politicking will ever change that

Last edited:
One Lakers fan just posted he could play Elite defense in stretches
Key words, in stretches.
laugh.gif
 It's not an award for people who play defense in stretches.
You know what?

These are all just opinions

People have opinions about alot things
That's fine, some people have opinions that climate change isn't real, some people have opinions that evolution isn't real, everyone's entitled to their opinions. Just so happens that you have a few outlandish opinions that aren't backed up by any logical evidence. But to each their own.
But the FACTS are that Kobe did earn NBA All Defensive Selections in 2011 and 2012, therefore he will be considered a great defender for those seasons
No one can take those awards away, you're right, but he already isn't considered an elite defender in those years to people who actually understand basketball.
And none of your internet politicking will ever change that

laugh.gif
"Internet politicking," it's just a conversation, one that was started by you.
laugh.gif

YOU brought up this All-Defense topic, I don't know why you're getting testy about it now.

You're embarrassing yourself.

Dude

NBA All Defensive selections= opinions on climate change

WTH?

What are you talking about dude? :rofl:

Kobe earned those NBA All Defensive selections....those are FACTS

Those arent outlandish statements at all

I dont know what else I can say about it to your liking?

Last edited:
Kobe earned those NBA All Defensive selections....those are facts

Dude, no.

2000-2010, that's the window you need to stay in. 11-12-13 is not. Take the L on this one, it's ok.

:lol: Thats your opinion man

The facts are Kobe earned those selections just like Kobe earned the missed shots record

Facts-a thing that is indisputably the case.

Are they going go back and change the selections?

Didnt think so

Facts.

:lol: Thats your opinion man

The facts are Kobe earned those selections just like Kobe earned the missed shots record

Facts-a thing that is indisputably the case.

Are they going go back and change the selections?

Didnt think so

Facts.

The "facts" are that the awards are VOTED on, by idiots. The same kind of dumb ***** that vote random teams in the Top 25 in college football, or leave off players on their HOF ballots, or things of that nature.

Votes, for just names.

The actual "facts" would be what the film shows, and the stats, and the eyes of the people that truly watch the film, THAT DON'T HAVE VOTES. That is the fact.

It's ok to say that he got the last 2 awards on rep. It's ok. Doesn't change anything relatively, you can still be a fan, only now you'd be being a smarter fan. That's a fact.

Oh gosh they are idiots now? :lol:

I agree human voting can be flawed

Its multiple NBA coaches and GMs voting on those selections

They watch more film than me, you or some other internet nerd does

Watching the NBA and analyzing it is their job

If there was a number of other "below average" defensive players who made All-Defensive teams, I would give more credence to the voting is severely flawed train of thought

Last edited:
i think it should me made clear that what we are talking about here are the two years (2011 and 2012) where he made the team on reputation and not actually being a top tier defensive player in the NBA

so hopefully no one gets their panties in a bunch and thinks that people are saying that he's always been an overrated defender (unless thats actually what someone said)

again, this shows the flaw in using a single statistic to back an argument. for example it would be wrong to use the fact that kobe has been a part of more all defensive teams than tim duncan to suggest that he was an all around better defender than tim (although they were both very very good)

Oh gosh they are idiots now? :lol:

I agree human voting can be flawed

Its multiple NBA coaches and GMs voting on those selections

They watch more film than me, you or some other internet nerd does

Watching the NBA and analyzing it is their job

If there was a number of other "below average" defensive players who made All-Defensive teams, I would give more credence to the voting is severely flawed train of thought

Tell ya what, how bout this?

Tony Allen, 2 All NBA Defensive teams. 2.
Bruce Bowen, 5 All NBA Defensive teams. 5.
Shane Battier, 0 All NBA Defensive teams. 0.
Raja Bell, 1 All NBA Defensive team. 1.
Shawn Marion, 0 All NBA Defensive teams. 0.

5 of the best defenders you've ever seen play defense in the NBA. 8 TOTAL selections, in ALL of their careers COMBINED. Like 40+ NBA seasons they've played. 8.

Kobe Braynt, 9.

Voters, are, idiots.

Don't be like them man.

Boy just wait until he gets on one of these All NBA teams this season. The heads in here going to be spinning like Linda Blair.

Not playing devil's advocate here but all the coaches are idiots (Byron Scott is for sure though) yet NT experts are not. C'mon man. I'm not sure if they have the actual breakdown of the votes by coach but if you got Pop, Rick Carlisle and people of those ilk voting Kobe in then you can't discredit everything.

Last edited:
No, because most of us know that these All NBA/All Defense, etc.. are to be taken w/ grain of salt.

They aren't "facts".

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom