Is The, "It Is Disrespectful To Your Ancestors If You DON'T Vote" Logic Still Valid?

Impossible, huh? I found numbers in a matter of minutes. They just don't support your message.

Police killed almost five black people per every million black residents of the U.S., compared with about 2 per million for both white and hispanic victims.

http://www.mintpressnews.com/776-people-killed-by-police-so-far-in-2015-161-of-them-unarmed/209127/

No, I don't get information from sources like those since they are incomplete, often inaccurate, and rely on self-reporting or volunteers.

The Counted is a project by the Guardian – and you – working to count the number of people killed by police and other law enforcement agencies in the United States throughout 2015 and 2016, to monitor their demographics and to tell the stories of how they died.

I'm not willing to cite any source that tells you - by its own admission - that it is not accurate. Any statistical data that relies on self reporting is inaccurate at best, skewed and biased at worst.

We're 12% of the US population and are killed by police more than three times as much as whites and Hispanics per capita. The only way that's an improvement is if at one point we were almost eradicated.

We were held as chattle as one point in time. Not even that anti-government "we're all servants to government" way. Black folks were straight up property and chattle. Yes, being 3x more likely to be killed by police is better than being 99% likely to die on the plantation in my opinion.

When Mr. Moskos adjusted his data to account for that, he found that black men were 3.5 times more likely to be killed by cops than white men. That’s inconvenient.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/tak...l-story-of-race-and-police-killings/?referer=

Its funny, that article actually says Dr. Moskos' methods were flawed from the very beginning - when he was arguing that whites are more likely to be killed by blacks.

It’s hard to get real data on this. The statistics Mr. Moskos uses are deeply flawed. He drew his conclusions from a website called killedbypolice.net, which tracks news reports of fatal shootings by police. Some 25 percent of the entries have no race listed.

Read the article and you'll see that you can't really make any accurate statements about anything based on those numbers - black, white, or otherwise.

I'm not even going to get into fair trials vs. what's offered to black folks. And regarding my response as to what I'm doing, you can be frustrated all you want. Being a parent to two children is a job in itself. I work and am working for myself, so if you can add another 8 hours to the day, I'll make time for what you think is appropriate. Eventually, me being my own boss and teaching my children to be less dependent on white businesses/politicians to provide opportunities will pay off, as other like minded individuals follow similar steps.

I didn't say that as if you need to adjust how you spend your time to gain anyone's approval, I said that to tell you that your answer doesn't really say what you're doing today to help fix these issues. Because you aren't doing anything today to help fix the issues. You're taking care of your responsibilities, but you aren't going above and beyond... These are your own words, not mine.

I can tell you're not prepared to answer the question as to how voting has positively impacted our community when we vote, because you keep ducking the question. I don't want an example of one school, in one community. Give me examples of how nationally it's done any good in the name of measurable progress.

I am prepared, and I have provided a number of examples of how voting can be used to impact a community. The problem is that most of the examples for the Black community I've found come from the Reconstruction period, as our community has become so jaded by American politics, that was one of the only times we were really even able to act as an organized voting body. During that period, black VOTERS rejuvenated the Republican party, helped getting the New Deal passed, and helped to establish cities like Chicago, Detroit, and other "black" cities as safe havens for other black families leaving the Jim Crow south. I could go on and on about the changes from the New Deal alone.

After the Civil Rights movement (called Reconstruction Part 2 by some,) we haven't had political focus on any comparable level. But, I think its best if I stop trying to reason with you. You don't want proof, or nor are you willing to change your stance - you want to be right. In that case, you got it fam. Voting hasn't ever done anything for black people, and things haven't gotten better.

Last edited:
Dude, I'm not even digging deep. But if you wanna use the old "you got it" cop out, I'm ok with that. You can vote and I'll not vote. Politicians are crooks and they do what they're told to do by people with clear agendas and money and dirt on each and every politician they pay off. If you believe there's no agenda and voting is what's going to fix the system, then more power to you.

And to be clear I haven't voted since Obama first got elected, but voted regularly before that.

Last edited:
Not a cop out, you just continue to refute the evidence I provide and, in a search to find sources that convey your message, have begun to cite things that are inaccurate by their own admission (both the guardian database and the new york times article.) Once the discussion reaches that point, its best to agree to disagree.

Again, we're in agreeance about everything except whether or not voting has resulted in an increased quality of life for us. I really don't even know how its debatable, but you have your beliefs and I have mine I guess.

assuming that voting is not rigged in some way I still find this quote dumb

As if everyone voting is a "die-hard". That quote is goofy. I'd bet that most people voting don't know half the issues they vote on. They vote based on what they heard on those silly campaign commercials and if anyone in their right mind thinks those commercials aren't jam packed with psychological bs to have you thinking up is down, then GOD bless your heart.

Do y'all even investigate who owns the voting machines or who makes the software? Not that it even matters. It's a big game. Politics are like the WWE. They have you thinking that the outcome isn't scripted and there are good guys and bad guys. My people man. :smh:

Last edited:
A lot of the thinking in here all stems from emotional reactions. Politics is a system, a game. You don't participate, you don't win. If you get in the game, you at least have a shot.

If you don't vote you have no say. You're a hypocrite if you don't do one of the few things you can to effect the process while claiming the government isn't helping you.

"Whats the point of voting if the electoral college chooses anyway?" - The point being that the electoral college always (in the last 100 years) votes in alignment with how their states vote.

"The elite's pick who win" - Slightly true. They have more money which means they can run more ads which means they can sway the opinion of the populace a lot more easily than the average man can. Not to mention they legally bribe our politicians with campaign contributions. So in these two respects, they have huge effect. But in the end they have on actual vote just like the rest of us. If we think and vote on the issues/policies it would hugely nullify the effect of big money.

Back
Top Bottom