It Was 400 Years Ago, They Said

America is not our "home" country. When the constitution was originally written it was written for a certain group, then amended to include everyone else unless you commit one of the many crimes and then it's back to slavery you go.

If that's "home" why are there different rules for us that are unspoken, but understood? Hell, my ten year old daughter knows there are different rules and that's not because I'm at my house playing Malcolm X speeches all day, it's because even a child can see it.

We were stolen from our homes, forced to work under the threat of violence, cut off from our history and culture and then turned lose with no aim. Home is a place where you have a sense of ownership and comfort... a place where you can escape and be protected. Is the US any of that?

you are preaching to the choir, giving history lessons, and avoiding the question.

where is our leverage?

do you think any of what you said matters to our oppressors?

do you think what you said will help us get reparations?

you are preaching to the choir, giving history lessons, and avoiding the question.

where is our leverage?

do you think any of what you said matters to our oppressors?

do you think what you said will help us get reparations?

Your question is "why would your home country whom did the dirt fight to give reparations?"

Well, the first part you're wrong on is calling this our home country, so I addressed that.

Is the UN decision not leverage? How about citing examples of past reparations paid? But how about class action law suits against all of the corporations that are still around that made billions off of a free labor foundation?

Maybe those corporations will look to the government to bail them out.

Last edited:
there is no leverage.

we have no people, no land, no backing. this probably ain't happening.

the way I see it, the only option we have at improving our long term outlook as a people is to take our business elsewhere.

you, me, LeBron, Oprah and the ex-Prez.

other than that, you're looking for concession from those who deal in oppression.

you looking for a nation? you and yours are it.

what now?

Your question is "why would your home country whom did the dirt fight to give reparations?"

Well, the first part you're wrong on is calling this our home country, so I addressed that.

Is the UN decision not leverage? How about citing examples of past reparations paid? But how about class action law suits against all of the corporations that are still around that made billions off of a free labor foundation?

Maybe those corporations will look to the government to bail them out.

i said OPPRESSORS

show me where i said home country.

arguing 'home country' is splitting hairs anyway. Africa dont claim us.

My bad, I saw your name over someone else's quote, but you were consigning that question.

There are countries in Africa that will claim us. Ghana and Liberia allow us to move back and be citizens fairly easily.

My bad, I saw your name over someone else's quote, but you were consigning that question.

There are countries in Africa that will claim us. Ghana and Liberia allow us to move back and be citizens fairly easily.

im cosigning the question in general

whether or not this is our home country is a moot point.
in any case we still have no leverage.

does our allegiance to Ghana or Liberia give us leverage for reparations from our oppressors? then why even argue it like it means something? why even bring it up?

why split that hair like it makes a difference?

Jesus Christ could come back after tomorrow, hold a press conference telling America they should give us reparations and they still wouldn't do it

Last edited:
there is no leverage.

the way I see it, the only option we have at improving our long term outlook as a people is to take our business elsewhere.

other than that, you're looking for concession from those who deal in oppression.

what now?

the 'what now?' is what they refuse to address. its the phase they refuse to move on to.

we are forever stuck in this circle of history lessons and root causes.

i will never understand how our oppressors can be evil, conniving, thieving, murderers, and rapists

then, turn around and expect those same evil, conniving, thieving, murderering, rapists to compensate you for what they did

the **** makes ZERO sense.

So why are you asking me to explain something that makes zero sense to you? I'm giving things we can build on and you've already decided that it's all moot. Im not just pulling random bs out of my ***. You think you know more than Johnnie Cochran regarding this or was he stupid and wasting his time?

He died. Are you that stubborn that you have to be right on this? Maybe you're wrong?

He died. Are you that stubborn that you have to be right on this? Maybe you're wrong?

im legit confused.

right about what?

you are free to choose to hold your breath waiting on your oppressors to compensate you.

i choose not to.

theres no right or wrong.

I'm saying there's leverage, legal precedent, a UN recommendation and a case that was started but stalled due to a death of a major contributor to the case work and your rebuttal is what... don't hold my breath?

Rather than offer anything constructive to the topic, you're stuck on why would Your oppressors admit they're wrong or pay up? What leverage do we have? You sound like a negative broken record. You want to be right about it being far fetched and improbable.

That's cool I guess, but what exactly are you adding to this discussion?

I'm saying there's leverage, legal precedent, a UN recommendation and a case that was started but stalled due to a death of a major contributor to the case work and your rebuttal is what... don't hold my breath?

Rather than offer anything constructive to the topic, you're stuck on why would Your oppressors admit they're wrong or pay up? What leverage do we have? You sound like a negative broken record. You want to be right about it being far fetched and improbable.

That's cool I guess, but what exactly are you adding to this discussion?

everything isnt a debate.

im not trying to convince you of anything, i just asked a question.

you already know what i added.

hol up...

THIS is leverage to you?

the only leverage America understands is economic. this UN decision might get you an apology.

UN panel says the U.S. owes reparations to African-Americans

BY EUGENE MASON September 29, 2016 at 01:22 PM EDT
Joe Stewart and Patricia Bayonne-Johnson, both descendants of people sold as slaves by Georgetown University, arrive to hear about moves aimed at acknowledging and encouraging dialogue about the Jesuit-run university's ties to slavery in Washington, September 1, 2016. REUTERS/Joshua Roberts - RTX2NU22
Joe Stewart and Patricia Bayonne-Johnson, both descendants of people sold as slaves by Georgetown University, arrive to hear about moves aimed at acknowledging and encouraging dialogue about the Jesuit-run university's ties to slavery in Washington, D.C., on Sept. 1, 2016. Photo by Joshua Roberts/Reuters

The United States owes African-Americans reparations for slavery, a recent report by a United Nations-affiliated group said.

The UN Working Group of Experts on People of African Descent said that compensation is necessary to combat the disadvantages caused by 245 years of legally allowing the sale of people based on the color of their skin.

The U.N. group warned that the U.S. has not confronted its legacy of "racial terrorism."

The report, which is non-binding, specified that reparations can come in a variety of ways, including educational opportunities, psychological rehabilitation, debt cancellation and formal apologies.

Some institutions have started to take these steps. Georgetown University announced earlier this month it would offering free tuition for descendants of the 272 slaves that were sold in 1838 to help pay the university's debts.

The U.N. report also linked past injustices to recent police killings of black men that have sparked protests across the U.S.

"Contemporary police killings and the trauma that they create are reminiscent of the past racial terror of lynching," the report said.

The U.S. created a reparations plan in the immediate aftermath of the Civil War that stated that freed families would be granted "forty acres of tillable land" and a mule from the Union Army. The plan, proposed by Union General William T. Sherman after meetings with black community leaders in Savannah, Georgia, was reversed by President Andrew Johnson and the land was returned to plantation owners.

there is no leverage.

what now?

How does the bolded work? Like what exactly do you mean? Seen it in this thread multiple times it makes ZERO sense to me. You only buy from black owned businesses? You only serve black people as your customer base? Both?

Why? Plenty people of other ethnicity that won't discriminate and will work with blacks. I'm talking about on a start up/small business level. That's how you start with little to nothing and turn it into something big. Most larger corporations and government are already entrenched with racism since old white men built those things in most cases. My family is not wealthy, I have no inheritance, my family doesn't support my business, I racked up more than $20k in debt since December starting my business and just got back into the black. Half my employees/customers are black. We literally started from nothing and are all working together to build and serve ALL members of our community regardless of race, color, religion, etc...

If you want to redistribute the wealth, collaborating and serving with the races that have benefited from institutionalized racism is one way to start. I understand some black people want no part of that. Those people lack financial sense. The "take business elsewhere" aka separatist mentality is just limiting the potential of your business. Sure it can work for businesses that specifically serve black culture (black barbershop is only example of top of my head) but to willingly ostracize other races is foolish. Where's your customer base? If you want a chance at the same wealth some whites enjoy... well the money needs to be redistributed. How can you build wealth on your own, only serving the black community, if there is no wealth there to begin with?

there is no leverage.

what now?

How does the bolded work? Like what exactly do you mean? Seen it in this thread multiple times it makes ZERO sense to me. You only buy from black owned businesses? You only serve black people as your customer base? Both?

Why? Plenty people of other ethnicity that won't discriminate and will work with blacks. I'm talking about on a start up/small business level. That's how you start with little to nothing and turn it into something big. Most larger corporations and government are already entrenched with racism since old white men built those things in most cases. My family is not wealthy, I have no inheritance, my family doesn't support my business, I racked up more than $20k in debt since December starting my business and just got back into the black. Half my employees/customers are black. We literally started from nothing and are all working together to build and serve ALL members of our community regardless of race, color, religion, etc...

If you want to redistribute the wealth, collaborating and serving with the races that have benefited from institutionalized racism is one way to start. I understand some black people want no part of that. Those people lack financial sense. The "take business elsewhere" aka separatist mentality is just limiting the potential of your business. Sure it can work for businesses that specifically serve black culture (black barbershop is only example of top of my head) but to willingly ostracize other races is foolish. Where's your customer base? If you want a chance at the same wealth some whites enjoy... well the money needs to be redistributed. How can you build wealth on your own, only serving the black community, if there is no wealth there to begin with?
He's saying (as a couple others in this thread said too) while working together and all that sounds good you are expecting black ppl to believe that the same ones who had us in a bad position and historically have shown they dont wanna do anything about it would be actually willing to help or work with us, thats a huge leap of faith that most of the communty would bet against...its the old "fool me once" type of scenario..so alotta ppl believe if anything is gonna change its on ourselves or we gotta make it a situation where its no choice but to give us something (the leverage)

once again no shots or anything but since you not black thats why its making 0 sense to YOU

Last edited:
there is no leverage.

what now?

He's saying (as a couple others in this thread said too) while working together and all that sounds good you are expecting black ppl to believe that the same ones who had us in a bad position and historically have shown they dont wanna do anything about it would be actually willing to help or work with us, thats a huge leap of faith that most of the communty would bet against...its the old "fool me once" type of scenario..so alotta ppl believe if anything is gonna change its on ourselves or we gotta make it a situation where its no choice but to give us something (the leverage)

once again no shots or anything but since you not black thats why its making 0 sense to YOU

Pretty much. Asians will sell us hair care products all day but won't do business w/ us to set up shop, even if we're not anywhere near their store. One option would be seeking partnerships abroad in other countries that would want to do business w/ us, but as far as the U.S. it's coo to hate black people, laugh at them, and take their money, bet never empower them by doing business w/ them.

What does my SN have to do with anything? What exactly are you a seasoned vet at?

When people resort to attacking a screen name I made in 2011 or whatever, that's when I know they've run out of reasonable and well thought out responses.

First "hold my breath", then *pockets still empty*, then the UN holds no weight that can be used as leverage and now what? I'm not BROLIC enough to talk? :lol:

You want pics of my current physique before my opinion is valid? What are you getting at fam? And to be a man about it, I left it alone yesterday but I woke up to you quoting what I posted (me) and responded. If you don't like what I'm saying don't address me.

Last edited:
there is no leverage.

what now?

Pretty much. Asians will sell us hair care products all day but won't do business w/ us to set up shop, even if we're not anywhere near their store. One option would be seeking partnerships abroad in other countries that would want to do business w/ us, but as far as the U.S. it's coo to hate black people, laugh at them, and take their money, bet never empower them by doing business w/ them.

Going off both of your responses... How do both of you feel about Garveyism? Garvey’s movement was the first black attempt to join modern urban goals and mass organization. Subsequent leaders didn't try to create black economic institutions as he had although Garvey had demonstrated to them that the urban masses were a potentially powerful force in the struggle for black freedom. If you don't believe that collaboration with other races is viable, what about collaborating with other Africans outside of the US? I really think Marcus Garvey was onto something with his movement but for some of the reasons I've already posted about it's just not feasible long term. Maybe he is a good example to learn from, both the good and the bad.

I always hear about these "white oppressors" but no one can pin point what individuals are to blame. It's why I say to meet individuals before you pass judgement. I don't deny the systematic racism and white privilege that's in place. However, the dwindling group of racist/ignorant individuals that are left in society are too dumb and don't have the resources to actually oppress anyone (see ninjahood as an example). The only power they have, is derived from poking at black people and getting that reaction out of them. They live for that reaction because they are losers who have to prop themselves up on something, or against someone to feel good about their own inadequacies (again see ninjahood). They're just enjoying their ride on the sinking ship of racism while new generations are purging the hate. The more you clamor about "the same ones" and "fool me once" the more you are proving your own prejudice and predisposition (which I'm not denying you; it's justifiable). We can work together as individuals if we set our prejudices aside. But I realize this is difficult to do for both white and black people.

Also, I'm not saying oppressive white people are extinct. However, those who possess the real power to be oppressive where it really hurts (on a large scale economically) are fading. Although this current administration does not help to support this claim :lol:, I believe it to be true from what I observe in my real life every day interactions.

So maybe you're right. Maybe the economic boost should stem more from Garveyism, working within your own culture, and embracing the Pan-African movement more. You COULD do it all on your own, BUT, that doesn't mean you HAVE to pit yourselves against all other races in the process, and just know there are good people willing to help. You shouldn't have to implore them either. They are out there ready to assist. Even the federal government has programs that benefit small black owned businesses and can give them a slight edge in winning contract awards.

I just believe this reparation stuff should start with starting new businesses. Clearly the existing infrastructure is broken. It's broken for me even as a white person and I refuse to continue to play into it. Which is why I started a business of my own. So I could begin to set my own terms on my time, money and life.A separatist business, a collaborative business, whatever. It's about creating new revenue streams than what already exists.

I don't understand everything surrounding this issue because yes, I am white. People like hand2handking hand2handking who want to place blame, seek revenge and further the divide between blacks and other races don't seem truly genuine when they speak about progress. I see him pit the divide more and make excuses rather than focus his energy on embracing ideas that could lead to economic empowerment.

Last edited:

that market was ours and we GAVE it away.

we need an understanding in economics before anything.

Back
Top Bottom