NBA Off-Season News Thread: Roy extends 80/5, AI to Grizz, Chandler/Okafor swap, Marquis to C's.

The Heat just completed year one of the rebuilding phase.

The team should be proud of getting a fifth seed considering where they were in 2008. If the Heat can land a star player that can ease the load for Wade rightnow, then they have to do it. If not, wait it out to develop the young talent and sign that marquee free agent in 2010.

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

The team should be proud of getting a fifth seed considering where they were in 2008. If the Heat can land a star player that can ease the load for Wade right now, then they have to do it. If not, wait it out to develop the young talent and sign that marquee free agent in 2010.
Yup, their turn-around from 2007-2008 to 2008-2009 was RIDICULOUS.

I randomly bumped into Lamarcus Aldridge at the gym and we talked for a bit. He says he loves Dallas (his hometown) and wouldn't mind relocating heresince that's where his family and friends are. I don't know if he meant he wanted to be traded here or simply come back to Dallas more often duringhis off time. Oh yeah "Seagoville stand up!" - Lamarcus
pimp.gif

Man listen if SHAQ and Sheed come to the Cavs, could you imagine what kinda locker room that would be with them two clowns combined wit Delonte and Lebron
laugh.gif
Matter of fact, could you imagine the bench during blowouts? %*%@ would be straight comedy
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

The team should be proud of getting a fifth seed considering where they were in 2008. If the Heat can land a star player that can ease the load for Wade right now, then they have to do it. If not, wait it out to develop the young talent and sign that marquee free agent in 2010.
Yup, their turn-around from 2007-2008 to 2008-2009 was RIDICULOUS.

yeah... my bad yall... im just over anxious to see what we are gonna do next year to improve... it feels good being a heat fan from what we had to go throughlast year.... i really dont think we need to trade anyone...but signing a veteran PG and keeping maglorie would help... we just needed more time to play as ateam... chalmers, jones, moon, beasley, diawara, J.O.,maglorie, 2nd year cook... these guys were all in their 1st year with the heat.... and look where it gotus... ( with A LOT of help from wade )....

Lamarcus Aldridge... listening to the radio station up here in portland.. i dont think the blazers are gonna get rid of LA.... him and broy are the blazerscore dudes..

Shaq is NOT going to the cavs, him and Cubes are already ##%%%#$ each other.

I have no idea if you were trying to be funny but...what?

I never thought I'd say it, but I think the Cavs almost HAVE to take Shaq and Sheed if both are willing to come. I mean, that's a serious double teamon Dwight and KG (yes, I think the Celtics will be a serious threat again next year), which basically allows Mo, Delonte, and LeBron to cheat a little or juststay at home on their men, and they're actually all quick enough to cheat a little. Not to mention, Sheed, Mo, and Delonte would spread the floor forLeBron to drive, or give it to Shaq in the post. Not bad at all guys.

What's the Brandon Bass situation? Any word of him leaving Dallas? I wouldn't mind him off the bench, especially for the right price.

Originally Posted by JDB1523

I never thought I'd say it, but I think the Cavs almost HAVE to take Shaq and Sheed if both are willing to come. I mean, that's a serious double team on Dwight and KG (yes, I think the Celtics will be a serious threat again next year), which basically allows Mo, Delonte, and LeBron to cheat a little or just stay at home on their men, and they're actually all quick enough to cheat a little. Not to mention, Sheed, Mo, and Delonte would spread the floor for LeBron to drive, or give it to Shaq in the post. Not bad at all guys.

What's the Brandon Bass situation? Any word of him leaving Dallas? I wouldn't mind him off the bench, especially for the right price.

So you want Sheed, Shaq, and Bass? Last time I checked your frontline was fine,
laugh.gif

Bass has made it clear he's happy in Dallas and will most likely not be lured away. It's possible, not probable. And it's not a common "ohhe's just saying that," Bass is really happy in Dallas.

I'd be shocked not to see him there next year.

Originally Posted by JDB1523

I never thought I'd say it, but I think the Cavs almost HAVE to take Shaq and Sheed if both are willing to come. I mean, that's a serious double team on Dwight and KG (yes, I think the Celtics will be a serious threat again next year), which basically allows Mo, Delonte, and LeBron to cheat a little or just stay at home on their men, and they're actually all quick enough to cheat a little. Not to mention, Sheed, Mo, and Delonte would spread the floor for LeBron to drive, or give it to Shaq in the post. Not bad at all guys.

So you want Sheed, Shaq, and Bass? Last time I checked your frontline was fine,
laugh.gif

Bass has made it clear he's happy in Dallas and will most likely not be lured away. It's possible, not probable. And it's not a common "oh he's just saying that," Bass is really happy in Dallas.

I'd be shocked not to see him there next year.

Well it's far from a guarantee we'd get Shaq AND Sheed, plus Ben Wallace's expiring would be the big one that PHX takes on. So if we only got Shaq,Ben is gone and we'd probably need another big man. Varejao might not even sign back with us (though I think he'd be crazy not to) anyways. Point beingis that Z was disappointing in the playoffs, and Varejao got manhandled. Ben wasn't horrible, but I question whether he'll bring it this year ifhe's going to retire next. An energy guy like Bass should be welcome to any team, any time. Shaq, Z, Varejao, and Bass wouldn't be bad in my book. Andhey, it's the offseason man, let me dream
laugh.gif
Too bad Brandonisn't going anywhere from what you're saying, and I believe you.

Triz: I think Sheed would be fine in the locker room and playing to be honest. The Cavs are right there as contenders, he would sure as hell get open looks inour offense, and if he's got 2 years on his contract and a chance to win another Championship, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find an NBA player whowouldn't be compliant.

Arenas working hard, shed 20 lbs, (JapanAir says: watch out for him in the MVP race
wink.gif
laugh.gif
)

Gilbert Arenas has reportedly been working out feverishly in Orlando.
Washington's star has been adhering to a new workout plan that he designed during the final week of the regular season.

Michael Lee of the Washington Post writes that Arenas may have already lost 20 pounds in the past month.

The guard held an individual workout with new Wizards coach Flip Saunders just two days after he was hired, and the workouts have reportedly continued.

Via Washington Post

Mavericks seriously eyeing fifth pick from Wizards again, wantJordan Hill, willing to part with JET or Howard?

TheMavericks are said to be interested in the fifth pick and the prospect of drafting Jordan Hill. The teams have made nice in the past, mostrecently in the swap that secured Jamison in 2004. The Mavericks also were kind enough to relieve the Wizards of Juwan Howard in 2001. Washington Times

TheMavericks apparently are willing to part with either Jason Terry or Josh Howard to sweeten a potential deal. The Mavericks would be obligated toaccept an expiring contract of the Wizards, the one belonging to either the Poet or Mike James. The chatter involving the Wizards is refreshing, seeing as howit conveys a modicum of hope. Washington Times

Chances of Childress returning are slim.

Three separate sources have informed the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that Josh Childress is not expected to return to the NBA for the 2009-10 season.
The dynamics of his situation in the NBA haven't changed from last summer. He's still a restricted free agent and would be subject to dealing with aHawks organization that couldn't get a deal done with him last summer.

"I don't know why he would come back," a Western Conference scout told me. "There's so much uncertainty in the league this summer.Teams are holding back because of the economy and plotting for the summer of 2010. Plus, he's still bound by restricted free agency, which means hecan't really come back and shop around for the best situation. If the Hawks didn't get a deal done with him last summer I don't see any way theyget one done now. No way."

Via Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Top prospect Ricky Rubio sues Euro team.

On Tuesday, according to the Spanish news agency EFE, Ricky Rubio sued DKV Joventut after learning that it had transferred the rights to his buyout toHacienda, the Spanish version of the Internal Revenue Service.
The rights were sold to satisfy a debt Joventut had with Hacienda.

Leopoldo Hinjos, Rubio's lawyer, claims that the team did not inform his client that his rights were about to be ceded to a third party. The team saysthat representatives of Hacienda went to Joventut's offices and demanded a guarantee to cover the outstanding debt.

Rubio has challenged the 4.75 million Euro (approximately $6.6 million) buyout, which climbs to 5.75 million Euros after June 30. Rubio made 70,000 Euroslast season (about $97,000) and is scheduled to make 125,000 Euros next season (about $175,000). Rubio's father Esteban told ESPN's Chad Nielsen onMonday that the buyout is disproportionate to his salary.

Via ESPN

Tim Donaghy, welcome to the real world; former ref beaten by man connected to themob.

Tim Donaghy, the former NBA referee, will be released from prison on June 17th. Donaghy, convicted for betting on professional basketball is serving a15-month sentence at the federal prison camp in Pensacola, Florida.

Donaghy's release date has recently been in question due to concerns about his medical condition. Donaghy was injured during an assault in November of2008. During the assault, another inmate claiming ties to the New York mob beat Donaghy with a heavy object. Donaghy suffered severe knee and leg injuries thatwill require surgery.

Via PressReleasePoint.com

Kurt Rambis turned down the Kings job, Westphal takes thereigns.

The Sacramento Kingsoffered their coaching job to two candidates on an eventful Tuesday in the NBA, ultimately reaching an agreement with Paul Westphal after Los Angeles Lakersassistant coach Kurt Rambis turned the job down. League coaching sources told ESPN.com that the Kings made a formal offer to Rambis hours beforethe Lakers' 108-104 loss to the Orlando Magic in Game 3 of the NBA Finals. ESPN.com

Westphal's deal is incentive-laden.

Sources say Westphal'sdeal with the Kings is incentive-laden based on the team's win total. Sacramento had the league's worst record this season at 17-65,costing Reggie Theus his job in mid-December after 1½ seasons as coach, with the Kings at 6-18. Interim replacement Kenny Natt posted a record of 11-47.ESPN.com

Rambis getting strong consideration to succeed Phil. May be why he turned downKings job.

One factor is Rambis' long association with the franchise that thrust him into prominence as a rookie with the unmistakable black glasses in 1981-82.Another is the widely held expectation inLakers circles that Rambis will receive strong consideration to succeed Lakers coach Phil Jackson when the 63-year-old finally decides to end his Hall of Famecoaching career. ESPN.com

Zaza still likes ATL, but realizes his price tag could fluctuate.

Pachulia clearly wants to come back here. He said as much during our conversation last week. But he's been here before, in free agent land, so he knowswhat a player wants doesn't always jive with the reality of his situation. Unlike when the Hawks nabbed him from Milwaukee four years ago, teams aren'tspending as freely as they were then. Still, Pachulia was abargain four years ago at $4 million per season. He's a bargain at that price now if the Hawks can swing it. But with the lack of quality bigs runningaround the league these days, that $4 million price tag might not be enough to retain Pachulia's services. Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Manu realizes why he hasn't gotten his extension, talks future of Spurs.

"In SanAntonio they have not sat down with me to discuss an extension. I have a year to go on my current contract. I do not know what they want to do. I will wait andwill continue to play. Contract talks were suspended after the Olympics," he notes. The trip to Beijing had no lasting consequence on hisrelationship with the team: "I know the owner was not happy. But they did not mention a word to me. [Coach] Popovich understands my position. He said hewould have done the same thing as I did. I do not think there is anything broken between us. I would prefer to stay in San Antonio for the rest of my career.But, if anything has to change, I will grab my bags and go elsewhere." Ole
"A year ago I thought this would be impossible and today I believe there is a chance, it could happen ... This year is very strategic,with teams clearing their payrolls so they can sign free agents in 2010 and perhaps some teams would rather trade you than lose you and remain empty-handed." It will also be up to the Spurs if Manu can continue playing with them. "Changeis inevitable on a team, but you do not have to change everything. I believe that if we are all healthy, we can contend," he analyzed. And he confirmedthis when he described his ideal teammates: "I want those who know how to play by my side ... I would rather have them be experienced and have a highbasketball IQ, even if they are a step slower." Ole

Cavs doing the naughty, not supposed to talk deals with Sheed.

Several reports over the last few days around the Internet have linked the Cavs to big men. As the team is certainly in the market for them, these reports areprobably the first of many. A report from Slam Magazine, a New York-based basketball publication, on Monday said the Cavs have opened negotiations with Pistonsfree agent center Rasheed Wallace on a two-year contract at $10 million per season. This is impossibleand illegal; the Cavs do not have salary cap space to sign any player to a $10 million contract and any talks cannot begin until July 1. Cleveland Plain Dealer

Phil Jackson admits it should have been basket interference

The hot topic before Game 3 Tuesday night was still Courtney Lee's missed layup at the end of regulation in Game 2, with Lakers coach Phil Jacksonadvancing the story by saying he believed basket interference should have been called on Pau Gasol. "Basketinterference according to the rules, yeah," Jackson said. CBSSports.com

Cavs could be interested in a S+T for Zach Randolph?

It is likely the Cavs will contact Wallace at that time, as he's probably going to be on their list of free agent targets. But he willnot get a $10 million contract from the Cavs or likely any team in the NBA. The other part of thereport said the Cavs would be interested in a "sign-and-trade" deal for Zach Randolph of the Los Angeles Clippers. Randolph is not a free agent, socalling it a sign-and-trade situation would seem to invalidate the entire report. When you consider the misinformation on the Cavs' capposition, the report seems even more off base -- though it got quite a bit of attention on the Internet and some television programs on Monday. Cleveland PlainDealer

Bucher twitter slams Lakers, Kobe, and Stan Van Gundy
laugh.gif

RicBucher: Gotta love SVG. 4Q he yelled:"You've got to fight!" Then went mute. Then slammed his clipboard. Then swatted Hedo on the !$%. Timeoutover. Twitter.com

Ric Bucher: Kobe lit up Bynum in last timeout:"Get your head in the f***ing game!" Silence from Bynum. Luke gave same message in softer tones. Twitter.com

NBA first round prospect is a NikeTalker, apperantly.
laugh.gif

Terrence Williams: Workout for the Wizards, just me an one other dude. (I don't no who it is) but I'm going at his neckpause. Twitter.com

Tim Donaghy to be released on the 17th of June.

FormerNBA referee Tim Donaghy will be released from prison on June 17, 2009. Donaghy, convicted for betting on professional basketball is serving a15-month sentence at the federal prison camp in Pensacola, Florida. PressReleasePoint

That's it for the news today kiddies... Will update with any new info as it comes.
wink.gif

I don't want Rambis as the next HC when Phil leaves, I want B Scott.

Boozer in NJ sounds nice, Lopez, Booz, VC, and Devin make a nice starting lineup, but I don't see enough sharing goin on there. 2K10 lineup only.

Sheed I think would be nice for the Cavs, but slow down with the Shaq part. He could clog the lane pretty handily for Bron, and setting picks for Bronwon't do much for Shaq either. Sheed though, could be killer with Bron. That pick and roll would suck to defend.
laugh.gif

This is supposed to be a "down" draft, but there is an awful lot of posturing/rumors of movement for this draft. Wonder what that's all about.

If Kidd is a free agent (he is right?
nerd.gif
) I expect LA to at least call theguy. Same goes for the Cavs though if anyone remembers those stories from a few months ago.

Bucher.
sick.gif
Last game in a Laker uni huh? Still tryna make up for thatone douche bag?
laugh.gif

Here's what I had to say about the Mavericks rumor on a Dallas forum;

I like this, it gives us a shake-up we'd need.

Regardless of who we trade, JET or Josh, if we get Etan Thomas, we're almost guaranteed either a good role player, or a prospect. The Wizards would need 3million or so to make up for the rest of our contracts, who do they have around there? Stevenson, Blatche, Nick Young, etc. OR we could get Darius Songaila,who I wouldn't be too fond of. Or we may throw more of our players in there and get Mike James, but I doubt that happens.

Etan Thomas CAN be a good back-up Center, hell he may even be better than Dampier, he's big, he puts forth the effort, he's just been injured. He'sa good rebounder and can block shots, and I don't think he'd fumble the ball as much with Kidd.

I know that we don't NEED a PF, and 6'10'' Jordan Hill seems like a waste if we have Dirk, but I just think somehow we can make him fit. MaybeI'm biased because I really like the guy, but #5 leaves us so many options. We get to KEEP our pick as well, which is fantastic. Who knows? Rubio orThabeet could fall to us if the cards fall right, I mean Brook Lopez fell to the Nets last year, look how he turned out. We could get a guard we need in TyrekeEvans, Harden (although I'm not fond of him), Jennings, DeRozan, there's just a lot we can do with a #5 pick. But having a shot at Jordan Hill makes mefuzzy inside. With his athletic ability he could actually run the 5 IMO.

Plus, it leaves us still capable to make a move, getting rid of Stackhouse or Dampier if anyone bites.

Then we have our #22 pick! Can you say Sam Young, Terrence Williams? could very well help our cause.

If we move either of them for the #5 pick and keep our pick, I like this trade. I love JET to no end, but the thought of getting a top 5 pick, another firstrounder, a back-up Center, and maybe a potential prospect from WAS?

I bite.

(Proposed deal is JET or Josh for #5, Etan Thomas, and a filler).

Also, don't mind the fanboy bias.
laugh.gif

Here In DC the radio is saying this might go down

Jamison and Wizards 5th Pick

for

Amare Stoudemire

Originally Posted by parada45

Here In DC the radio is saying this might go down

Jamison and Wizards 5th Pick

for

Amare Stoudemire
Wouldn't it have to be more than Jamison? Or would the 5th picks contract cover the remaining balance?

Nash
Jason
Hill
Jamison
Shaq

And then add a Harden/Hill to that? Very very interesting.

^
That lineup still don't do nothin. J-Rich the only one in his prime the rest will still underachieve to no end.

Hell, their bench would be better with Barbosa, and the Harden/Hill pick, Lopez, and what's his name from Golden State.

JA21: etan tomas is
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
, and not in a good way.
if dallas could trade josh howard instead of jet, that would be great. josh has an great effect on this team, but it'll be better off if the mavs just shiphim away. songailia would be great, i honestly dont think the wizards management is that dumb. if anything. they're clogging th e wing with butler,jet/josh, and jamison.
theres no denying that the wizards want to trade butler/jamison(pref.) for some salary cap relief though.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

where do the cavs get the money to get sheed and shaq?
I would guess Sheed would sign for the MLE and Shaq would be traded for (Ben Wallace and filler).

Originally Posted by BangDak

JA21: etan tomas is
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
, and not in a good way.
if dallas could trade josh howard instead of jet, that would be great. josh has an great effect on this team, but it'll be better off if the mavs just ship him away. songailia would be great, i honestly dont think the wizards management is that dumb. if anything. they're clogging th e wing with butler, jet/josh, and jamison.
theres no denying that the wizards want to trade butler/jamison(pref.) for some salary cap relief though.
Salary relief for good players like Butler/Jamison? The Mavericks got all the salary relief you could want and need!
laugh.gif

But I won't get into that, since I could go on-and-on about unrealistic trade scenarios that would send Butler and Jamison back for Dampier and Stackhouse
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

I don't mind Etan as a back-up since he expires after the upcoming year. Not sure how he ever got 7 million a year, but I guess if Dampier can get 10million, anything can happen
laugh.gif

Good trade for Phoenix really.

Jamison is solid, and with the 5th pick the Suns could draft Nash's heir apparent.

Amare is an upgrade over Jamison but not by much. Not on that team.

Gortat + LBJ = Knicks 'ship 2010????????????????????????????????

Appreciated as always Japan.

Back
Top Bottom