NBA Off-Season News Thread: Roy extends 80/5, AI to Grizz, Chandler/Okafor swap, Marquis to C's.

Originally Posted by BangDak

Originally Posted by holdenmichael

maybe its me, but i like haslem as an heat. dude knows his role, and the knicks would gladly take him if anything

Sure, but I doubt he's in their long term plans. He, and a lot of other Heat players not named Jermaine O'Neal, have expiring deals at a great price point.
you may get value for him, but will those players bring the same voice (vocally in the lockerooms) haslem will? i rather resign him. dude doesn't have that many years left if i remember correctly anyway....let dude retire as an heat.

as a heat fan.... i do not wanna see haslem traded... he is the heart of the team...does the dirty work.. co captain with wade... haslem and wadeare the only players left from the championship.. haslem is not that old.. he is only 2 years older then wade...

Originally Posted by heat23

maybe its me, but i like haslem as an heat. dude knows his role, and the knicks would gladly take him if anything
Sure, but I doubt he's in their long term plans. He, and a lot of other Heat players not named Jermaine O'Neal, have expiring deals at a great price point.
Does anyone know where I can payroll and length of contracts for each team? Miami will only have like 3-5 players under contract for 2010

Heat salaries

all those contracts will be VALUABLE pieces...
i expect the heat's to be a busy team to try and get talent from those cities who wish to unload talent for money purposes.

Unless Beasley is converted to SF full time, I question his future with the Heat. Particularly if they want to sign Bosh or Amare in 2010.

i think that we are too much of a half court offense for amare to want to come here... would bosh be willing to play center?..

Devin Harris Wants Carlos Boozer on His Team

Get in line, Devin: 'We need more of an athlete, someone who can rebound and block shots, someone who can complement Brook really nicely. Regarding Boozer,Roberts pointed out that Boozer looks like he'll choose between Detroit and New Jersey…'I definitely hope he picks New Jersey. I think he fits well inus, he's a 4 man who obviously can complement Brook real well. He can run the screen and roll. He's a rebounder that we need and he can also space thefloor as well. I've kind of played with Boozer a couple of times over the summer so I know what he's capable of doing obviously, going…playing againsthim. He's a talented player so he fits right with what we do.' Asked if he is willing to recruit the Jazz big man, Harris laughed andanswered…'I'll do what needs to be done.'"

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Originally Posted by heat23

Does anyone know where I can payroll and length of contracts for each team? Miami will only have like 3-5 players under contract for 2010
Heat salaries

You're the man!

Let me start by saying I agree with what the NBA is trying to do by imposing an age limit on players who want to enter the NBA draft. I don't know too many people who want to spend top dollar going to a professional basketball game just to watch high school players run up and down the floor - in the case of a young team - or sit in their suits behind the bench on a playoff team. It's very difficult for scouts to determine whether or not a player is ready for the NBA based upon watching them against high school talent, and when a team takes a chance on a young player who doesn't pan out it hurts the game. It's one thing to make a mistake when watching a player compete against Division I talent. At the high school level, you can almost just flip a coin to determine whether or not a player can make it in the NBA.

There are exceptions. LeBron was a sure bet, as was Dwight Howard. Andrew Bynum seems to be coming along, and obviously Kobe Bryant didn't need a whole lot of college ball, though he did spend most of his rookie year playing garbage minutes. Rashard Lewis skipped college, and here he is in the NBA Finals as one of the top players in the league. These are the players people point to when they say the NBA's new age limit isn't fair. These are the players Tennessee Congressman Steve Cohen pointed to in his recent letter to NBA Commissioner Stern, which called for a repeal of the age limit.

"Well, you can serve in the military, or you can play Major League Baseball and professional hockey, tennis and golf, or be an entertainer like Elvis, other entertainers, Stevie Wonder or Michael Jackson. . .at any age," Cohen told KTAR in Phoenix. "It's your talent that is what's determined - then it shouldn't be any different in basketball. You ought to be able to earn your living and take care of your family. Most of these players have great talent, it's been observed early, they can get paid a lot during that year and their years to play aren't that numerous. It just seems unfair to keep these guys out for a year because the NBA wants to have another year to judge them."

That's exactly what the NBA wants. Ask any scout. The first thing they'll tell you is it's almost impossible to judge a player on NBA potential while they're playing against other high school kids. That said, Cohen makes a pretty good point that the NBA is trying to use the NCAA ranks as a sort of free farm system.

"A lot of players have come straight out and been successful. I think the NBA is using the NCAA as its farm system. You know Major League Baseball has a farm system. I think the NBA wants to get it for free, but what it's done is make the term 'student athlete' an oxymoron. Some of these players have no desire to go to school and wouldn't go if they didn't have to. They're forced to do it. Commissioner Stern rightly points out that they could go to the NBDL or to Europe, but many of them don't want to be away from their families and their culture and all those things. As it is, as soon as they finish Tournament play they're working out for NBA teams . . .they're not going to go back to school."

More important, says Cohen, the flash-in-the-pan pseudo-students who are using the NCAA experience as a mere springboard to the NBA are costing long-term student athletes who have worked hard to get where they are.

"They put athletes who are truly student athletes back a year or two. In Memphis we have a guard named Willie Kemp. He started for us at point guard two years ago, we made the final eight, then Coach Cal tells him he has to take one for the team, sit out his sophomore year because they had Derrick Rose coming in. He does it, no problem. The next year, Willie's not doing great at the point, Tyreke Evans comes in, now he's asked to take one for the team again. Here's a kid who is a student athlete, will be here four years and graduate, but he gets shoved back for the one-and-done-er. That's just not right."

Whether you agree with Cohen's position or not, he makes some good points. At the end of the day, what's really needed is a more developed NBDL. There needs to be an element of social training and preparation that takes place, not just basketball. These young men are handed an insane amount of money, as well as celebrity. They need to be adequately prepared to handle the pressure that the money and the notoriety will bring. The college experience brings more than just structured basketball instruction, it also teaches young men to be responsible. The NBDL doesn't spend much time at all on that aspect of developing professional athletes. If it did, a good argument could be made that the NBA doesn't need an age limit. For now, requiring a year of college or some other level of basketball before being eligible for the NBA Draft seems like a decent alternative.

O'Neal will make nearly $23 million in the 2009-10 NBA season

sick.gif
x
indifferent.gif

This guy, in his prime, was never worth a contract that would pay him like that.

There's guys at the YMCA, barely making ends meet each month, who would destroy him right now.

Originally Posted by Burns1923

sick.gif
x
indifferent.gif

This guy, in his prime, was never worth a contract that would pay him like that.

There's guys at the YMCA, barely making ends meet each month, who would destroy him right now.

That can be said about ANY player, at in point of their career. You think MJ couldn't be beat buy some dude somewhere in the world, consistently?

Originally Posted by Not a sneak

Originally Posted by Burns1923

sick.gif
x
indifferent.gif

That can be said about ANY player, at in point of their career. You think MJ couldn't be beat buy some dude somewhere in the world, consistently?

Stop taking him literally, you know what he meant.

Japan I am glad you got the thread this year.

I will be on depolyment and won't be able to update daily like I did last year.

I will be following though...

Thanks again.

Burns1923 wrote:

sick.gif
x
indifferent.gif

I agree but Riles played it smart imo to get JO's contract because once that and10 or so other contract come off the books next summer, we'll only have only $12,636,486 in payroll if Wade opts out or $29,785,729 if he signs anextension this summer.
pimp.gif

Kings to hire Paul Westphal

According to two sources with knowledge of the situation, the Kings will hire former Phoenix and Seattle head coach Paul Westphal for their vacant headcoaching position.

Westphal is believed to have agreed to a deal for two guaranteed seasons at $1.5 million per with the third season a team option worth $1.7 million. There arelikely incentives in the deal that could reward Westphal if the Kings improved significantly from their franchise-worst 17-win campaign in 2008-09.

The decision brings an end to a Kings coaching search that lasted 47 days and came with similar twists and turns as the ones that had come before. It beganwith Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie calling for experience over experiments, setting parameters that the Kings' fifth coach since 2006 would haveto be have had "some level of success" as an NBA head coach. Eddie Jordan and Westphal were the first candidates, both of them easily meeting thequalifications and kickstarting the process with interviews on May 12 and May 13, respectively.

Lakers assistant Kurt Rambis eventually entered with a second group that also included Boston associate head coach Tom Thibodeau, just about the time Jordanwas bowing out voluntarily. Despite being seen as a frontrunner largely for his ties to Petrie and the organization, Jordan was hired by Philadelphia on May29. Just a day later, Thibodeau was interviewed in Lasand followed in the following day by Rambis.

Throughout the later stages of the process, Kings co-owners Joe and Gavin Maloof and Petrie repeatedly made it clear that Rambis, Westphal, and Thibodeau wereall impressive in their interviews and that they were all being seriously considered. And while Rambis was believed by most to be the front runner, sources saydiscussions between the Kings and his agent, Warren LeGarie, stalled for too long while Westphal waited for a verdict.

With the Lakers in the midst of the NBA Finals against Orlando, Rambis was adamant that he remain loyal to the Lakers and focused on the task of winning achampionship. Westphal, meanwhile, had grown impatient enough that sources say he was close to pulling out of the race. In the end, however, he was alone atthe finish line.

Originally Posted by teknikz

damn sheed on the cavz and Shaq also wanting to go there, damn Verajo and Big Z might need a place on the bench to sit.....
Varejao just might leave and go elsewhere if there is no room for him to play.

Originally Posted by tupac003

Japan I am glad you got the thread this year.

I will be on depolyment and won't be able to update daily like I did last year.

I will be following though...

Thanks again.
No problem, I thought one of us should, and since news of trades and potential trades are starting up again, why not?
laugh.gif

my bad... i meant i dont see why the heat aint willing to spend the money to get players that wade needs now... the cavs are willing to do it for lebron...
Who have the Cavs signed though? Z and Larry Hughes. Since then, it has taken trades and re-signing free agents to create that team. The Cavs,like the Heat, are dependent on teams wanting their expiring deals this season.
you may get value for him, but will those players bring the same voice (vocally in the lockerooms) haslem will? i rather resign him. dude doesn't have that many years left if i remember correctly anyway....let dude retire as an heat.
I'm not a fan of the Heat so I don't know what he does for the locker room, but I'm sure they'd trade him if it meant a majorupgrade in talent. Still...

a lot of teams would be interested in those two contracts in this economy/saving for 2010.
...it depends on other teams actually wanting these players. Remember, guys like Boozer and Shaq are now expiring deals. Exchanging an expiringdeal for another doesn't help these teams save money unless the "bad" expiring deals are partially guaranteed or belong to guys that are lookingfor a buyout.

I keep hearing that this team or that was looking to save money last season and that it won't change for this season, but why make the trade now when thesavings won't bee seen until next year? Why not give these guys a chance to play and see how things work out? I'd be surprised to see a straightsalary dump before the season even starts.

I'm not sure that JO will get moved either. His high salary makes dealing hard.

I think I can speak for Haslem in that I haven't heard from a Heat fan who doesn't love the man, he's the emotional leader of the team, etc.

If I were to get Haslem on my team (if that was what we needed), I'd be ecstatic, kind of like a Shane Battier kind of guy who will always give his all,play hard, tough defense, not whine, put the ball in the basket, and just a good all-around player.

I really hope the Heat can learn to play with both Beasley and Haslem on the floor, because I think it'd be hard to get equal value for him. He's oneof the players who when you see them, you can't see them playing for any other team.

(I didn't mean to interrupt your discussion, just chiming in on what I think of Haslem).

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

I think I can speak for Haslem in that I haven't heard from a Heat fan who doesn't love the man, he's the emotional leader of the team, etc.

If I were to get Haslem on my team (if that was what we needed), I'd be ecstatic, kind of like a Shane Battier kind of guy who will always give his all, play hard, tough defense, not whine, put the ball in the basket, and just a good all-around player.

I really hope the Heat can learn to play with both Beasley and Haslem on the floor, because I think it'd be hard to get equal value for him. He's one of the players who when you see them, you can't see them playing for any other team.

(I didn't mean to interrupt your discussion, just chiming in on what I think of Haslem).
Couldn't have said it better!
pimp.gif

If I were to get Haslem on my team (if that was what we needed), I'd be ecstatic, kind of like a Shane Battier kind of guy who will always give his all, play hard, tough defense, not whine, put the ball in the basket, and just a good all-around player.

I really hope the Heat can learn to play with both Beasley and Haslem on the floor, because I think it'd be hard to get equal value for him. He's one of the players who when you see them, you can't see them playing for any other team.

co sign.... i still think wade should do what kobe and lebron did... make "threats" about leaving, put the front office on the back oftheir heels... and force them to go out and get him what it takes to be a contender while keeping the 5 core guys.... being one of the top 3 players in theleague and the face of the franchise... the heat can sure try and make a better effort...

Originally Posted by YoungTriz

co sign.... i still think wade should do what kobe and lebron did... make "threats" about leaving, put the front office on the back of their heels... and force them to go out and get him what it takes to be a contender while keeping the 5 core guys.... being one of the top 3 players in the league and the face of the franchise... the heat can sure try and make a better effort...
Marion, JO, Diawara, good drafting, you can't say they aren't trying, it's just sometimes it takes some time my dude.

Originally Posted by YoungTriz

co sign.... i still think wade should do what kobe and lebron did... make "threats" about leaving, put the front office on the back of their heels... and force them to go out and get him what it takes to be a contender while keeping the 5 core guys.... being one of the top 3 players in the league and the face of the franchise... the heat can sure try and make a better effort...

Any deal we make will def take to deal one of the "5 core guys". Most likely Beas.

I think what we need to do is be patient. If there's anyone that can turn this team into a powerhouse, it's Riles

Back
Top Bottom