NT, convince me "cutting the cord" is a good idea

Image-1.png

I finally did it. Youtube TV is where it's at.

Weirdest thing happened the other day. So I watch all UFC events using reddit links, but my chick texts me and shows me a charge for $70 for UFC 226 on our Amazon account.

I didn’t know UFC was on Amazon. Apparently someone put two fire sticks on our account without our knowing. They refunded us but damn...

Be careful out here. Never know who might steal your info.

About to drop regular direct tv for direct tv now..

This is what at&t wanted to do. Have people voluntarily get rid of direct tv satellite. Then they increase the prices of dirtect tv now under your nose.

That time warner purchase was the Trojan horse for them to increase prices and have them be super profitable.

Last edited:
I rock no cable but just high speed internet 400MBPS Xfinity. I use a 4k firestick with kodi and terrium tv built in . Can't complain I can basically watch every show and movie ever made at anytime for free. The only issue I have is live sports but I have a indoor antenna that picks up local channels in HD so I get abc/fox/cbs/nbc the only issue is when the games are on TNT or espn.

if you have an older relative that still pays for cable you could use their login to watch ESPN and any other network specific streaming app

About to drop regular direct tv for direct tv now..

Don't do it man, I guess I'm spoiled (wife too). Tried for a month smh, using the free Roku, I swear I got the OOPS blue screen every morning. I just want to check the weather and traffic b4 I leave plus, u cant watch and surf guide at the same time, etc etc....and I do have high speed optimum internet

Went back to optimum cable package with the altice box this weekend I like convenience

remember, of all the streaming services out there..... Slingtv still being $20 is one of the best options out....tnt, all espns, amc, hgtv, food + more. No complaints on my end. Our family loves it. Main streaming service in our family room....then i have librelec/kodi running on all other rooms.

Weirdest thing happened the other day. So I watch all UFC events using reddit links, but my chick texts me and shows me a charge for $70 for UFC 226 on our Amazon account.

I didn’t know UFC was on Amazon. Apparently someone put two fire sticks on our account without our knowing. They refunded us but damn...

Be careful out here. Never know who might steal your info.
I'm I the only one seeing the irony in this

:lol: :lol:

I have Xfinity for internet for $49.99 for 150mbps. To get that price, just keep calling and keep complaining. No one in the Boston area can get it for that price unless it's some kind of promo or you're a new customer.

I think I have used every kind of streaming stick/dongle. Currently, I have 3 streaming sticks and they are Chromecast, Roku and FireTV.

I have a monitor that has speakers so it's basically a TV. I have that glorified monitor in the kitchen with the fire stick. I am pretty sure I have a 1st gen Fire stick because it's so slow but it does the trick when I am in the kitchen cooking. Nice to be able to watch Netflix or listen to some music from YouTube via the Firefox app since Amazon and Google are beefing. It's ben pretty awesome being able to watch the World Cup while cooking. I am lucky to have a friend that gave me her Xfinity login so I can watch live sports via the ESPN app or TNT app.

My room has the Roku, Chromecast, PS4 and Xbox One. I don't even need the Chromecast because the Roku can do the trick and the Xbox has a good amount of entertainment apps that can hold you over as well. I just don't really use the consoles for streaming because of the power that has to be used when you turn on a console. Helps keeps the electricity bill down so I only use the consoles for gaming.

Also, I have tried every one of the the live streaming services during their trials. I will say that YouTube TV has everything that I need in regards to channels and price.

I hope you signed out of all devices at Amazon. Found out my fam pays 300 something a month for cable and they don't even have premiums, what the hell. Gonna get them on youtube or hulu. Gotta have hallmark channel though, apparently that's important.

remember, of all the streaming services out there..... Slingtv still being $20 is one of the best options out....tnt, all espns, amc, hgtv, food + more. No complaints on my end. Our family loves it. Main streaming service in our family room....then i have librelec/kodi running on all other rooms.

Sling has BEEN the go to, dudes steady looking at other options

I found it real easy to just stream a movie off my MBP via Airplay to my t.v via the Apple TV. It's what's stopping me from getting a Kodi. Or is Kodi the real move?

I hope you signed out of all devices at Amazon. Found out my fam pays 300 something a month for cable and they don't even have premiums, what the hell. Gonna get them on youtube or hulu. Gotta have hallmark channel though, apparently that's important.

My mom stays watching NBC, ABC & Hallmark :rofl: .

People get bamboozled left and right. All you gotta do is call and tell them to lower it

My parents pay $229 a month for Xfinity cable/internet 400 mbps / landline
Got Starz, encore and international package. Renting out 4 boxes and the internet modem. I feel like that is too high for the price and they are locked in for the contract for about 18 more months.. I feel they got lured into these other bells and whistles that they didn't need

My parents pay $229 a month for Xfinity cable/internet 400 mbps / landline
Got Starz, encore and international package. Renting out 4 boxes and the internet modem. I feel like that is too high for the price and they are locked in for the contract for about 18 more months.. I feel they got lured into these other bells and whistles that they didn't need

Unicorn - Your parents are getting FLEECED by Xfinity. $229/month can be reduced quickly even though they are locked in for 18 more months.

Packages:
I see they have Starz, Encore and international package. Maybe they can reduce one of the premium ones or eliminate Starz and Encore. If they have an international package, your parents must speak another language like mine. If I had to pick one, I would keep the international package and get rid of Starz and Encore.

Internet modem - Okay, you need to give that POS modem back to Comcast now. You're not getting the full speeds with that crap modem that they give you. Buy your own modem and router. If I remember, a modem to rent from them is $10/month. That's $120/year. A modem and router can be bought for $200 or even less. 18 months = $180 just for renting a modem alone. HURRY UP AND RETURN THAT MODEM AND BUY YOUR OWN NOW!!!!

Internet speed - I see your parents are getting 400mbps. I don't know your parents but I am pretty sure your parents might not need that fast of speeds for internet. Look around and downgrade the speed so it will be cheaper. Maybe look for the mid-tier range with 35mbps rather than 400mbps.

Boxes - God, nobody needs 4 set-top boxes all over the house. Once again, those are being rented out for if I remember $5-7/month. That's at least $20-28 bucks alone on 4 set-top boxes! I know that Roku and Xfinity made an app called "Xfinity Stream". It has all the "TV GO" channels and I think if you link it with your home network, you can get all the local channels too. Here's the link: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/activate-xfinity-tv-app-on-roku

Roku sticks start at $30 for the most basic. If you bought 4 for each room, that's $120 upfront rather than say $20 x 12 = $240/year to rent out 4 set-up boxes.

This is exactly what I did with Xfinity as well. I wanted nothing to do with their equipment or anything. The only thing I wanted from them is the internet. Everything else can be purchased and done by myself.

Last edited:
^Agreed. Return that rental modem to Xfinity and get a Modem and a wifi-router.

The Cable modem can be had as little as $59.99. But since you get 400mbs, I think there's a Motorola modem for $99 that would be able to handle that speed. As far as wi-fi routers, I would recommend Google Wi-Fi if you just need a wireless network. But if you need ethernet ports, check out a ASUS or Linksys router.

Modem pretty much pays itself after a couple of months.

I'll try to update this post with direct links. Currently at work.

Unicorn - Your parents are getting FLEECED by Xfinity. $229/month can be reduced quickly even though they are locked in for 18 more months.

Packages:
I see they have Starz, Encore and international package. Maybe they can reduce one of the premium ones or eliminate Starz and Encore. If they have an international package, your parents must speak another language like mine. If I had to pick one, I would keep the international package and get rid of Starz and Encore.

Internet modem - Okay, you need to give that POS modem back to Comcast now. You're not getting the full speeds with that crap modem that they give you. Buy your own modem and router. If I remember, a modem to rent from them is $10/month. That's $120/year. A modem and router can be bought for $200 or even less. 18 months = $180 just for renting a modem alone. HURRY UP AND RETURN THAT MODEM AND BUY YOUR OWN NOW!!!!

Internet speed - I see your parents are getting 400mbps. I don't know your parents but I am pretty sure your parents might not need that fast of speeds for internet. Look around and downgrade the speed so it will be cheaper. Maybe look for the mid-tier range with 35mbps rather than 400mbps.

Boxes - God, nobody needs 4 set-top boxes all over the house. Once again, those are being rented out for if I remember $5-7/month. That's at least $20-28 bucks alone on 4 set-top boxes! I know that Roku and Xfinity made an app called "Xfinity Stream". It has all the "TV GO" channels and I think if you link it with your home network, you can get all the local channels too. Here's the link: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/activate-xfinity-tv-app-on-roku

Roku sticks start at $30 for the most basic. If you bought 4 for each room, that's $120 upfront rather than say $20 x 12 = $240/year to rent out 4 set-up boxes.

This is exactly what I did with Xfinity as well. I wanted nothing to do with their equipment or anything. The only thing I wanted from them is the internet. Everything else can be purchased and done by myself.

Il definitely be giving Xfinity a call and see if I can work something out. What modem and router should i get ? I'm pretty noob at this and just always get the internet modem through the ISP as an easy way out.

Il definitely be giving Xfinity a call and see if I can work something out. What modem and router should i get ? I'm pretty noob at this and just always get the internet modem through the ISP as an easy way out.
Modem
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/motorola-docsis-3-0-cable-modem-gray/5050001.p?skuId=5050001

Wi-Fi Router
Depends on your needs. Google Wi-Fi is really convenient to set up and can mesh multiple pods to extend your wifi coverage in your home. But it only has one ethernet port. So if you need multiple ethernet ports, I recommend an ASUS or Linksys router.

My setup at home is:

Motorola Modem
Google Wifi
Old ASUS router programmed as a switch to connect my Apple TV, PS4 Pro, and TV through ethernet.

A lot of baby boomers are getting gouged through their cable/internet because most of them just don't know some of the deals out there.

Highly suggest everyone ask how much their parents are paying for cable. Or even their cell phone bill.

Back
Top Bottom