NT Runners and Running Gear Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
NIKE+ RUNNING APP LAUNCHES ON APPLE WATCH

Apple Watch provides users a unique way to interact, launch and control Nike+ Running from their home screen.

Available April 24, Nike+ Running App users around the world will have even more ways to connect with the global running community through Apple Watch. Nike+ Running App users will be able to access distance, duration and pace right on their Apple Watch. Plus, runners will see when friends send them a cheer, and with Bluetooth-enabled headphones, can listen to music wirelessly during runs.

“We took the best of Nike+ Running and built a seamless experience for Apple Watch customers,” said Stefan Olander, Nike VP of Nike+. “We’re pleased to be one of the first apps on Apple Watch allowing runners to connect, challenge, cheer and motivate their friends on this exciting new platform.”
Glances on Apple Watch will allow Nike+ Running App users to get a quick view of the Nike+ leaderboard so they can see where they stack up and how hard to push it on their next run.

Actionable Notifications will easily allow the Nike+ Running community to quickly send a cheer to a friend on the run, even from the Lock Screen.

Since its inception in 2006, Nike+ Running has helped millions of athletes track, measure, share and compare their runs with a global community, encouraging them to run smarter and run more. The Nike+ Running App is a coach, running buddy and cheering section all in one, delivering training programs, real-time audio feedback and tools to track and celebrate progress.

Last edited:
So my Fitbit stopped working recently and Im thinking of getting a running watch instead to replace it .

Any good / affordable recommendations for a running watch ? Thanks

Ran the San Diego Hot Chocolate 15K this morning:

View media item 1457532
View media item 1457535

Dope race. Well organized.

Nothing better than getting hot chocolate, chocolate fondue, marsh mellow, and a dope finisher medal after the race. And they give everyone who does the 5K or 15K a nice hoodie.

This course was hilly as heck though :lol:

I needed hills training though for next 2 races I got coming up which will be even more hilly on the Rock n Roll San Francisco half and the La Jolla half.

Last edited:
I'm trying to incorporate cross training into my regimen. I want to incorporate stationary biking, weight lifting (upper and leg press), swimming, and some core work. You guys have any sample schedules or maybe can point me in the direction of some schedules and what you use?

Whats a good remedy to treat shin splints ? Went running last Monday ( about 5 miles ) and also was out doing yard work for about 4 hours as well . Next day I was sore but I shrugged it off . I tried to run again a few days later and my right leg gets very tight and swells up and shins start aching . I tried heat then ice for a few days but not much improvement . I'm not really in pain and can walk ok , just anxious to start running again . Any advice is appreciated thanks

Im thinking of switchin to asics from nike
Try sumthin different.

Any suggestions?

Long distance running outside...sidewalk...trails....off road ...country etc

^ go to a running specialty shop.. they'll put you on a treadmill and watch your form to determine the right shoes for you.. they'll let you know if you pronate or overpronate.. look at your arching..

also take in your previous running shoes..

but cant go wrong with asics.. or brooks (so I've heard on this one)

Last edited:
Whats a good remedy to treat shin splints ? Went running last Monday ( about 5 miles ) and also was out doing yard work for about 4 hours as well . Next day I was sore but I shrugged it off . I tried to run again a few days later and my right leg gets very tight and swells up and shins start aching . I tried heat then ice for a few days but not much improvement . I'm not really in pain and can walk ok , just anxious to start running again . Any advice is appreciated thanks

Try out running with compression socks and compression recovery tight pants after runs.

Seriously I ran Rock N Roll San Francisco with the 2XU compression performance socks and they really helped especially on a hilly course.

After the race I used the 2XU recovery compression tights after I took a post race shower, and then wore them for 8 hours while I drove back from San Francisco to San Diego. My legs, calves, feet, and ham string feel great and not sore at all right now. I'm ready to go for a recovery run already and usually after I do a half marathon it takes me 2 to 3 days recovery before I could go for a run again.

Last edited:
Im thinking of switchin to asics from nike
Try sumthin different.

Any suggestions?

Long distance running outside...sidewalk...trails....off road ...country etc

Yeah go to a local running shop to get fitted with tha right shoes.

I recommend Hoka One One or Brooks.

Get over how ugly or weird looking Hoka's look like. They've actually gotten better looks wise recently. But yeah once you try running a pair you won't want to run in anything else. The Hoka One One Cliftons to me are the best running shoe out on the Market right now.

Thinking about switching to the darkside.

Been running in Free's and Asic's but contemplating the Ultraboost.

any thoughts?

Thank you for the advice on shin splints recovery

I'm thinking of buying compression leg sleeves for both legs even tho only one is currently bothering me.

What's better for long distance running ?
CEP Or Zensha leg sleeves ?

^ that info I gave above about going to a running specialty store, would help tremendously if you're continuously getting shin splits.. you're probably using the wrong kind of shoes for you (not saying a specific brand.. more the type of shoe within that brand)

like for me, even though I ran track in high school.. my form outside of sprinting was pretty terrible (I ran the 1 and 2 primarily.. and ran the 4 for relays, but that was a distance event for me)

I use to just buy whatever nikes I thought were cool to run in..

then went to a running specialty store, learned that I overpronate with my right leg (which helped on curves when i ran track, but obviously wasn't good when I'm trying run couple miles on the road), so I would get shin splits even though I was in shape and not over working myself

found out I need stability shoes, which gave that extra support on the interior of the shoe because my foot would roll inward (overpronate).. also got better socks which gave me a little more support on my arches (feetures)

Shin splints are usually the cause of overpronators not getting support in your arches. With that said, try the Asics Kayano.

Thank you for the advice on shin splints recovery

I'm thinking of buying compression leg sleeves for both legs even tho only one is currently bothering me.

What's better for long distance running ?
CEP Or Zensha leg sleeves ?

I tried CEP at first and honestly save your money. There are better brands with better compression technology.

I'd recommend 2XU.

Last edited:
Heads up registration for Run Disney Avengers themed Half Marathon, 10K, and 5K opens today in about 30 minutes.

If you want in you better log into active.com now and be in with the quickness once the sale starts at 9AM PST.

Run Disney events sell out in less than an hour.

Last edited:
Seriously I have ZERO interest in the new Apple Watch.

I can't see how someone can wear one doing anything athletic in it.

This is going to be the next watch I get:

Last edited:
So confuse with the two threads. I don't like carrying phones on me when I work out so that's a deal breaker for me with the Apple Watch.

Last edited:
Posted this in the other thread:

I went to a running specialty store yesterday. Going in, I know I have like 0 arches, over pronate, etc.

I've been using the Brooks Beast the last three and a half months. I have a pair of Asics Gel Kayano 21s too.

The clerk had me jump on the tread mill. We could see the over pronation as my ankle rolls some what.

I then tried on the following shoes in this order:

Mizuno Wave Paradox
Hoka One One
NB 1260
Brooks Adrenaline GTS 15
Adidas Ultra Boost

They had a rubber track so I'd jog around it and do cuts to get a feeling of the shoe.

The Hoka One was Cushiony. It had a little less stability than my Beast but they were nice. I could definitely give these a shot.

I had a pair of NB 1540 before. Didn't really like them. I felt the 1240s were cool.

The Brooks Adrenaline performed like my Kayanos. I did like the solid color blocking they had (All Red, etc).

The Mizunos were pretty good too.

Didn't buy anything. Probably stick with the two I have. I'm probably going to give the Lynco 420 orthotics a try for in soles when I'm running.

I was told to stay FAR away from the Adidas due to the lack of stability. They're very comfortable.

Clerk did not bring out a single Nike, Reebok, Adidas, UA, etc shoe. I asked to see the Ultra Boosts.

Im fine in my Pegasus 31 right now, no pains at all when I run.

Will "better" shoes like Asics or Brooks improve my run or comfort or be better for me post run? Im comfortable enough in the Pegs, I dont see how I could get "more comfy" sort of to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom