NT Runners and Running Gear Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think 5k is pretty easy to train for and I'd suggest starting with that. You don't even need to go full blast on the first go.

Do you guys just jump into training for marathons or do you start smaller?

I've been eyeing a few races but not sure which length to start at.
I started really getting into running a little over a year ago.  At the time i was in pretty bad shape, about 40-50 lbs overweight and i didnt really excercise much anymore besides for an occasional bike ride.  I downloaded the couch to 5k app, and it worked wonders for me.  Within ~10 weeks i was running 5k under 27 minutes (which was great for me, considering i never ran before in my life); and now i am still running ~5k a couple times a week.  I would recommend starting there, or if you are in decent running shape they also have a 10k training app.  

Great thread. i have been running consistently for the past 10 years. Average at least 4 days a week. I stated running after after i left high school to lose weight and I have kept at it since. Coming out of high school, I was 6'3 and weighed 270, as i type today I am 190. I started off doing 3 mile run and now i alternate between 8, 10 and sometime 12 mile run. I try to do around 40 a week. I work 8 to 5 on the weekdays. 3 of those days I wake up around 4;30 in the morning to go running. When the weather was warm the early morning run was enjoyable but now with this arctic freeze it has become a lot more difficult. I'm really looking forward to Black Friday, hopefully Nike has some sale going on. Probably going to scoop up a few hoodies and some base layers a hat and some gloves. Imo nike has  the best running equipment. I have their tapered running pants in like 4 different colors and those are the best pants I have ever worked out in. They are fitted but not restrictive at all and they are really lightweight. The extra zipper they have running down the side of the right leg is an excellent spot for my keys

as has been mentioned earlier, go to a running specialty store before picking your running shoes.. usually they'll put you on a tread mill and even record you while your on it.. also carry your old running shoes with you (make sure these were just shoes for running.. using them in the gym while your lifting or squatting or whatever could obviously throw things off)

as far as running shoes go, there are way better brands than nike in that department.. love their running clothes (especially their 2 in 1 shorts), but I run in asics shoes now (as mentioned above, I'm currently on the noosa 8s)

and running shoes should be replaced every 300 miles or so.. and if you can afford it, get 2 pairs of running shoes if you run fairly regularly.. it takes about 24 hours or so for the foam in your shoes to really decompress and return to its original state, so keep this in mind for running in the same shoes on back to back days

I'd assume he's saying this so you don't get runner's toe (where your toenails turn black and fall off). I've always gone tts though.
Never knew that. I was just referring to the fact our feet swell up when we run so the half size will accommodate that.

Damn your a BEAST.

Have run a ultra marathon before ?

After I did my last half this past Sunday I took the first 2 days of this week and I'm going to hit the gym tonight the rest of week and do a 5 mile run this Saturday with my group of friends that I meet up and run with.
Nah man. I ran the Boston half last year and that's about as far as I have run. I'd like to do an ultra once but I would probably have to stop going to the gym. Running takes time and unfortunately, I don't think I could do more than 40 a week.

Do you guys just jump into training for marathons or do you start smaller?

I've been eyeing a few races but not sure which length to start at.

I just got back into running this past May.

I started off running on my own and then did 2 5K's, a 10K, and then these past 2 months did 2 half marathons.

If you asked me a few months ago I never thought I'd be able to complete a half marathon.

Last edited:
Heads up some races are $59 or cheaper for Rock N Roll Marathon & Half Series. It's a one day sale:

http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/...ister&utm_content=winterpromo_announce_email6

I did the the RnR LA last month and had a great time.They organize races really well, corrals are done good, race expos on the weekends and Friday are meh, race medals you get are pretty nice also.

I myself actually bought the RnR Tour pass for $459 which gives you access to all of the RnR North American races in the year as long as they don't sell out before you register for a races.

It's worth it if you know your going to do more than 3 RnR races in a year. Which I know I'm going to do: RnR SD, RnR SF, and RnR LA next year. Going to get this bling:

View media item 1269139
And I'll probably do RnR St. Louis, RnR Chicago, and Las Vegas next year. Depending on if I have the time & money for them.

Subscribed!

Let's start an IG running group! #NTRunning [emoji]128526[/emoji]

It's a shame Nike+ DCed the team challenges [emoji]128532[/emoji].

Last edited:
Subscribed!

Let's start an IG running group! #NTRunning [emoji]128526[/emoji]

It's a shame Nike+ DCed the team challenges [emoji]128532[/emoji].
Running Gawd 
smokin.gif

Ran 30 miles last week on top of hitting the gym. Taking most of this week off but gonna get back on it friday with an 11 mile jaunt. Should be interesting.

We do about the same. I run 2 laps around my campus at 3 miles each, 6 total, 6 times a week.

I love when "laps" are EXTRA long. that way once you start a new lap you can't really stop half way even if you wanted to. Run or walk yo *** is doing the whole thing

Ran in these last night...

I was worried about my ankles getting cut, but they're intact.
smile.gif
Woah, I'd never think to run in chukkas. Aren't they way too bulky for that? And that chunky midsole? Don't you ave any better options for running in?

#NTRunning going in the sig on my gram. We taking over bros.

Question I ran like a day ago. I stretch and warmed up but after a mile or so, it was about 40 degrees out, my legs cramped. Well I'm not sure it was a cramp but it was painful. Almost like my leg bone wanted to come out. Is it possibly the way I land when I run? Noticing that my right leg feels the most pain and also that I land on like the right half of my sole and not on my whole sole.

Last edited:
Just curious. How much do you guys weigh?

I feel as if the skinnier dudes could run for days! Im 220lbs and my cardio is straight trash

Ive actually got a bum right knee. I had knee arthroscopy in March but the problem still persists.

A friend wants me to run a marathon with them. I started with 3 miles, then ran 5 miles, then 7 miles then 11 miles.

But I haven't ran much in two weeks (except a 5 miler).

I have flat feet and been running in Gel Kayano's.

I think I'll be headed to Runners World tomorrow to get an assessment of the best shoe for me. I'd like something lighter but my foot condition and knees have me wanting to play it safe.

Just curious. How much do you guys weigh?

I feel as if the skinnier dudes could run for days! Im 220lbs and my cardio is straight trash

I weigh probably 211. I could stand to probably lose 20 pounds but I don't run enough or do cardio for longer than 30 minutes.

Maybe you can do interval, HiiT, etc.

Last edited:
5'10 185 and i usually try to maintain a 9 min pace when im not training 

#ntrunning

i got a spartan race in january so i just keep it the same to maintain endurance

Last edited:
I love when "laps" are EXTRA long. that way once you start a new lap you can't really stop half way even if you wanted to. Run or walk yo *** is doing the whole thing

Pretty much :lol: This is why I prefer trail running over being on a track. I remember running 5 miles on a track one time, and 4 on a treadmill and it was the worst **** ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom