NTers who lease their whips? Vol: new whip every 3 years

But to write off luxury cars as "stuntin" is generally going to come from people uneducated about cars and their performance imo. At the end of the day it's all about individual wants and needs... just my 2 cents for now.

Not all luxury cars are written off, I think the ones that are usually written off are the entry-level luxury cars, like the 320/328, C250/C300, etc. Not saying people who buy them are looking to "stunt," but they get the most criticism. I do agree with your point that it depends on the person's wants/needs though.

Last edited:
am i doing it wrong? My third son was born a year ago, so i felt it was time to get a whip. Before that i would use my dad's Murano if i needed to drive anywhere (mainly on the weekend to run errands). I decided to lease a 2013 pathfinder. I put like $3200 down and I am paying ~$400 a month for a 36 month lease (12k miles a year, and i only have 7k a year later). it was cheaper to lease than buy (monthly payments). not sure if i will buy the car outright when the lease is done or just lease a new pathfinder.

:x at the deal you got. You can get a RX350 or MDX in the 450-500 range with 0 down through a leasing company.

Buddy of mine can hook it up with leases in the tri-state area. Any make/model, best prices, and always 0 down. PM if anyone is interested.

^ not trying to pay more than I already am. MSRP was like $34k-$37k. And I need a 7 passenger. I got 3 kids (7, 4, and 1) so that's 1 car seat and two booster seats. But thanks for the help.

I get the whole "new car every 3 years" deal

But you gotta realize how much extra that is costing you in the long run..

You pay 10-15k into a vehicle that originally cost 25k, then they sell the same vehicle to someone for 18k at the end of your lease. Where did your money go?

You'd be better off buying a pre owned luxury, depreciating it for three years, selling, and continuing the cycle.

I understand it's all about "brand new" though, and I would also never buy a brand new car.

Watch it lose 20% of it's value the moment I drive it off the lot, call me stupid but I ain't dumb
You don't sell the car at the end of a lease. You simply give it back to them and repeat the cycle.

The Lease vs. buy argument has always been a religious battle. Those who are for a lease only compare it based on monthly payments vs. the total value of the vehicle over the course of owning it. I have yet to hear a reputable financial adviser that would advise that will tell you that leasing is a better deal than buying. You're not only suck in a car payment that has nothing to show for it in the end, but then if anything happens to the vehicle, you're on the hook for that too when you're just going to give it back to the dealer in 3-5 years.

Here are a couple articles about how expensive leasing really is:
[h1]Should you buy or lease a new vehicle?[/h1][h2]Those low lease payments look great, but there's no such thing as a free lunch.[/h2]
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/money101/lesson17/index5.htm
[h1]Car Leasing Means Losing[/h1][h2]The most expensive way to operate a vehicle[/h2]
https://www.mytotalmoneymakeover.com/?event=displayPrintArticle&articleId=car-leasing-means-losing
Again, it depends on your purchasing power. A good client of ours, name rhymes with "Birds say", buys all his new whips outright with cash. Obviously if you have the disposable income to buy the car, then its best to buy it. BUT you're eating up all of the depreciation the longer you drive, have the car etc.

If financial advisors dont advise people to lease, why the hell these multi million dollar athletes/execs leasing cars from us then? I guarantee they have FA's too
laugh.gif

Really just depends on your situation. Leasing aint for everyone if that's what you're saying, I agree.
80% of athletes are bankrupt within 5 years of retiring, so I wouldn't consider them the best example to use. But let's use your example of wealthy individuals. I guessing most of the people you see paying with cash you'd never know their occupation. Something like 75-80% of millionaires have never leased a car in their life. It could be different for deca-millionaires on up, but let's just say the "average" millionaire. Those 25% that do lease can easily afford to since most vehicles are a rounding error in their net worth. I think we're all familiar with Steve Jobs leasing a new Mercedes every 6 months just so he wouldn't have to put a license plate on it. While not a smart financial decision. He could have bought the entire Mercedes dealership and had several billion left over afterwards. For the average person, a lease payment is several percentage points out of their monthly budget.

You don't sell the car at the end of a lease. You simply give it back to them and repeat the cycle.
I said the dealership will sell a 25k car for 18k after your lease is up. Your second article describes exactly what I said, so I'll chalk that up to you misreading..
If you bought the car outright for $18,000 after someone else leased it for 3 years, that would be a great deal. However, if the car is worth $25,000 new and you bought it for $18,000 after 3 years with a $200/mo. payment, you're still coming out behind if you had bought a $7000 car and driven that for the 3 years. In that case, you could have at least sold it for $4-5k (or more) and used that towards the newer car. New cars are very rarely an appreciating asset unless it's a diesel or hybrid during a gas price hike.

crcballer, you gonna let HoosierDaddy talk to you like that? He straight chumped you and called you a fool. He said yo momma is his financial advisor.
laugh.gif

CRC, i dont know if this applies to the majority of NT, but what are your thoughts on leasing if you own your own business and can manage to lease the vehicle under the business name as a business vehicle? Do you think that the benefits of leasing (assuming you find a great lease offer with low upfront costs, higher residual, and low lease rate) outweight the benefits of buying/financing?
Why not just buy it under the business name? The math doesn't change just because the name does. Either way, you get to depreciate the asset on your taxes.

I must be the only one who views a car as a necessity and not a depreciation asset. Without a car I can't get to work = can't get paid. If you buy cars to sell then ok it's a depreciating asset, but if you but with the intention of getting to point A to point B what's the big deal?
i dont believe any man who says this

real talk, youre just smart an live in your means for now thats all

or you just never been behind the wheel of a car that grabs attention an is fun to drive yet
repped.

never been behind the wheel of a car that grabs attention an is fun to drive yet
I'd say this plays a role when a lot of people talk down on "luxury" cars and especially "entry" level luxury cars. Until you drive one every day, people dont understand the difference. I'll take my 3 series any day over an Accord. Nicer ride, better stopping, better handling, more responsive, more power. Thats not to say the Accord wont last longer, cost less, cost less in maintainence, insurance, etc. But to write off luxury cars as "stuntin" is generally going to come from people uneducated about cars and their performance imo. At the end of the day it's all about individual wants and needs... just my 2 cents for now.
repped.

I drove my sisters honda accord it drives like straight up poop. :lol:

I can't see myself getting out of a luxury vehicle EVER! Unless I need a beater.

Hey Hoosier how much you think I could get a E class coupe lease for? Any tips tricks on how to get it low? (Internet says like 1g a month)

Yeah that E Class coupe has little incentive $$ behind it. E Class sedan would be more affordable. Last I checked you could lease one for 27 months for 20,000 miles for like $750 including taxes and fees.

We had a special a month or two ago that was sign and drive (still had to pay first month's payment and documentation fee up front). So essentially, you could get into a new 2014 E Class and drive it off the showroom floor for under a grand when my mans put down $3200 for a Pathfinder.

Car industry is crazy man
laugh.gif
. Just depends on your credit score and when you're looking to get into a new whip
I pay under 750 for my e class and that includes the tire and rim protection I added to the vehicle.

I wasn't 100% sure how good my deal was but after reading this I'm looking pretty good.
Tire and Rim protection is a scam. SMH. I'll never add that again. 

-

Hoosier thanks for the insight. I might look into leasing on my next purchase.

Actually leasing is the hardest way to get into a new car, well with us at least. Our main bank, Mercedes Benz Financial Services, is actually more strict regarding who they approve leasing their car than they are to finance.

How is going about a credit application, waiting to hear back from a bank easier than wiring money from the trust fund and taking the car home that same day?
I understand what you're saying here, but you misread what I wrote.

I was talking about having the car. It's much easier to deal with insurance claims, repairs, recalls, etc. when you lease vs when you buy. 

These people aren't trying to add the complexity of informing themselves and maintaining an automobile.

They just want to sign, drive, and let the dealership manage the vehicle so to speak.

Last edited:

I get the whole "new car every 3 years" deal

But you gotta realize how much extra that is costing you in the long run..

You pay 10-15k into a vehicle that originally cost 25k, then they sell the same vehicle to someone for 18k at the end of your lease. Where did your money go?

You'd be better off buying a pre owned luxury, depreciating it for three years, selling, and continuing the cycle.

I understand it's all about "brand new" though, and I would also never buy a brand new car.

Watch it lose 20% of it's value the moment I drive it off the lot, call me stupid but I ain't dumb

The Lease vs. buy argument has always been a religious battle. Those who are for a lease only compare it based on monthly payments vs. the total value of the vehicle over the course of owning it. I have yet to hear a reputable financial adviser that would advise that will tell you that leasing is a better deal than buying. You're not only suck in a car payment that has nothing to show for it in the end, but then if anything happens to the vehicle, you're on the hook for that too when you're just going to give it back to the dealer in 3-5 years.

Here are a couple articles about how expensive leasing really is:
[h1]Should you buy or lease a new vehicle?[/h1][h2]Those low lease payments look great, but there's no such thing as a free lunch.[/h2]
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/money101/lesson17/index5.htm
[h1]Car Leasing Means Losing[/h1][h2]The most expensive way to operate a vehicle[/h2]
https://www.mytotalmoneymakeover.com/?event=displayPrintArticle&articleId=car-leasing-means-losing
Again, it depends on your purchasing power. A good client of ours, name rhymes with "Birds say", buys all his new whips outright with cash. Obviously if you have the disposable income to buy the car, then its best to buy it. BUT you're eating up all of the depreciation the longer you drive, have the car etc.

If financial advisors dont advise people to lease, why the hell these multi million dollar athletes/execs leasing cars from us then? I guarantee they have FA's too
laugh.gif

Really just depends on your situation. Leasing aint for everyone if that's what you're saying, I agree.
80% of athletes are bankrupt within 5 years of retiring, so I wouldn't consider them the best example to use. But let's use your example of wealthy individuals. I guessing most of the people you see paying with cash you'd never know their occupation. Something like 75-80% of millionaires have never leased a car in their life. It could be different for deca-millionaires on up, but let's just say the "average" millionaire. Those 25% that do lease can easily afford to since most vehicles are a rounding error in their net worth. I think we're all familiar with Steve Jobs leasing a new Mercedes every 6 months just so he wouldn't have to put a license plate on it. While not a smart financial decision. He could have bought the entire Mercedes dealership and had several billion left over afterwards. For the average person, a lease payment is several percentage points out of their monthly budget.
Seeing that one our clients is the guy in your avy, we actually do know exactly their occupation and their income unless they pay cash. Like I've said multiple times, it really depends on your financial situation and car purchasing method. Some people just like getting into a new car every 3 years especially luxury cars.

But yeah Pollards wife is fire tho
pimp.gif

If financial advisors dont advise people to lease, why the hell these multi million dollar athletes/execs leasing cars from us then? I guarantee they have FA's too :lol:

[thread="596903"]Quote:[/thread]

I said the dealership will sell a 25k car for 18k after your lease is up. Your second article describes exactly what I said, so I'll chalk that up to you misreading..

If you bought the car outright for $18,000 after someone else leased it for 3 years, that would be a great deal. However, if the car is worth $25,000 new and you bought it for $18,000 after 3 years with a $200/mo. payment, you're still coming out behind if you had bought a $7000 car and driven that for the 3 years. In that case, you could have at least sold it for $4-5k (or more) and used that towards the newer car. New cars are very rarely an appreciating asset unless it's a diesel or hybrid during a gas price hike.

crcballer, you gonna let HoosierDaddy talk to you like that? He straight chumped you and called you a fool. He said yo momma is his financial advisor.

:lol:

CRC, i dont know if this applies to the majority of NT, but what are your thoughts on leasing if you own your own business and can manage to lease the vehicle under the business name as a business vehicle? Do you think that the benefits of leasing (assuming you find a great lease offer with low upfront costs, higher residual, and low lease rate) outweight the benefits of buying/financing?

Why not just buy it under the business name? The math doesn't change just because the name does. Either way, you get to depreciate the asset on your taxes.

but depending on how the asset is depreciated (especially if you only want to keep the car for a few years) wouldnt you be better off taking the full write off of the lease payment as opposed to just the interest portion of the finance payment + depreciation?

just found out today my moms patient who sold her, her lexus is now the sales & leasing consultant at my local benz dealership

gonna go with my ex gf to look at C class, will be interesting to see the whole process, ill brush up my skills/knowledge with leasing

just found out today my moms patient who sold her, her lexus is now the sales & leasing consultant at my local benz dealership

gonna go with my ex gf to look at C class, will be interesting to see the whole process, ill brush up my skills/knowledge with leasing

share the experience if you can.

I just had this thought

If I FINANCE a brand new car for 72 months....the monthly cost would be lower than what it would be if I were to LEASE it for 36 months...is this about right?

What are the pros and cons of this situation..
If I finance...I can still trade it in after 3 years (just like a lease) correct??? If so...is this a way to get a lower payment when deep down inside you really want to lease?

I just had this thought

If I FINANCE a brand new car for 72 months....the monthly cost would be lower than what it would be if I were to LEASE it for 36 months...is this about right?

If I finance...I can still trade it in after 3 years (just like a lease) correct??? If so...is this a way to get a lower payment when deep down inside you really want to lease?

You'd still be on the hook for whatever you still owe on the car if you trade it in after 3 years...

To lower your payments, you can look into using multiple security deposits which are returned to you at the end of the lease or put a down payment (not recommended).

What car are you looking to get?

You'd still be on the hook for whatever you still owe on the car if you trade it in after 3 years...

To lower your payments, you can look into using multiple security deposits which are returned to you at the end of the lease or put a down payment (not recommended).

What car are you looking to get?

Security deposits? Never heard of using those for car payments before. How does that work?

Not anything specific as of yet, but something within the 60-70k price range

Damn, fly. I figured you would've gotten something by now, but I'm not sure that "nothing specific but in the $60-70K range" is a smart way of thinking right now because if that's the case, I got '97 Civic I'm willing to let go for $59K, so you can stay below your budget :lol:

Last edited:
Still looking to lease before the end of the year. 2014 BMW 3 series, going to see what the dealer is talking about next week or today. (328,335/sport edition)

Don't feel like searching through the thread again. Any suggestions I should look out for.

End result ill just finance a 2013 accord if the leasing not working in my favor.

I just had this thought

If you only focus on the payments of something, you'll always be broke. Figure out the total cost of operation of the things you buy (House, Car, Electronics, apparel {sometimes paying more for quality is actually cheaper} ) and you'll find yourself in a better position both financially and mentally too. I just paid cash for a newer car last year. With the history of the vehicle I bought, the first model year 5 years prior was going for the same amount as the model I bought, meaning I'll probably be able to sell it in about 5 years and not take a major hit on the resale value unless something major happens.

am i doing it wrong? My third son was born a year ago, so i felt it was time to get a whip. Before that i would use my dad's Murano if i needed to drive anywhere (mainly on the weekend to run errands). I decided to lease a 2013 pathfinder. I put like $3200 down and I am paying ~$400 a month for a 36 month lease (12k miles a year, and i only have 7k a year later). it was cheaper to lease than buy (monthly payments). not sure if i will buy the car outright when the lease is done or just lease a new pathfinder.

:x at the deal you got. You can get a RX350 or MDX in the 450-500 range with 0 down through a leasing company.

Buddy of mine can hook it up with leases in the tri-state area. Any make/model, best prices, and always 0 down. PM if anyone is interested.

That's a horrendous deal. A decent shape used Murano could be had for around 8k. Could've bought outright if you had the scratch or had low payments for 2-3 yrs then have the rest for maintenance.

I want to lease a jeep grand Cherokee so badly, fully loaded with all bells and whistles of course. Or even a dodge Durango.

Seen a couple that made me really think about leasing.....

In my opinion though,
American vehicles = Lease
Japanese = own / lease

Japanese vehicles always have seemed to have more reliability after about 10 years

Lmao at all the ' lease ' experts in here. Seriously just because u don't lease don't mean it's a stupid idea. Are u in the business?

Back
Top Bottom