OFFICIAL 2010-2011 NBA PLAYOFFS THREAD : VOL. MOST. ANTICIPATED. PLAYOFFS. EVER?

Originally Posted by streethoopkilla

Idk how ppl can pick NY over BOS. Itll be the best 1st round series. Eastern Conference wont pick up until the 2nd round
I wouldnt pick NY over BOS but I think that series and the Portland series will be good basketball going at least 6

Originally Posted by Tunnel Vision

Miami leads league in total attendance, Cavs last

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance/_/sort/awayPct
Miami leads the league in total attendance has the visiting team, the Cavs are last as the visiting team as well.
Cavs actually finished 3rd in home attendance
eek.gif
eek.gif
, Miami 5th
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Better indication is the percent of seats filled. Miami had over 100%

Cavs' Q area is larger(seats more) than the AAA in Miami. That makes up for the disparity.

True but the fact that the Cavs were still filling up that place is nuts
laugh.gif

How the hell do the Lakers and Knicks not sell out every night when the Blazers do??

The big test is how the Cav's attendance will be next year because Gilbert forced the ticket holders to re-up before Bron made his decision.

Still think they'll be fine though.

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

True but the fact that the Cavs were still filling up that place is nuts
laugh.gif

How the hell do the Lakers and Knicks not sell out every night when the Blazers do??

Sky high prices for level 400 and level 300 seats.  Only going to get worse next year.  Dolan got his guy now he's naming his price for tickets
laugh.gif

No matter what Ch...I mean UofN might say.

It's that time of year. As the regular season ends and many rookies go home, let's hand out some Rookie 50 hardware, starting with my All-Rookie teams:

[h4]Thorpe's Award Winners[/h4]
3989.jpg
Rookie of the Year
Blake Griffin, Clippers

Best in Class ('10 draft)
John Wall, Wizards

Most Improved
Greg Monroe, Pistons

Finishing Strong
Gordon Hayward, Jazz
Jordan Crawford, Wizards

Best Defender
Paul George, Pacers

Mr. Hustle
Blake Griffin, Clippers
[h3]First team[/h3]
PG: John Wall, Wizards
After almost a year in the NBA, Wall understands the burden of being the franchise guy. Wall, 20, came into the league as a pass-first player, but he's turned into a successful scorer, averaging 16.5 points a game. Still, this evolution has come at a price, as his focus on getting buckets has resulted in more turnovers and fewer assists. (He had about a 3-to-2 assist-to-turnover ratio in March, and that's not what a point guard wants.)

But the bottom line is that his energy and confidence have helped propel the Wizards, who are playing their best basketball of the season. Wall had a solid rookie season, and if the past six weeks are any indication, he's primed for a breakout 2011-12 season with some simple offseason improvements.

4274.jpg

Fields​

SG: Landry Fields, Knicks
There's no getting around that Fields has not been as integral to New York as he once was. In the Knicks' recent six-game winning streak, Fields scored seven combined points in the first three games and broke double digits just once (10 points against Toronto). His other numbers are down as well; he's averaging about two rebounds fewer since the beginning of February and is shooting 40 percent from the field in March.

But let's look at the season overall. Fields led all rookie backcourt players in both true shooting percentage and rebound rate. And even with the arrival of Carmelo Anthony, the second-round pick is going to be an important part of any success the Knicks have in the postseason, thanks to his perimeter shooting and activity. In all, a marvelous success.

4251.jpg

George​

SF: Paul George, Pacers
George eked his way to the top spot of this position largely because he had little competition. There were guys who put up better raw numbers but were below-average players overall. George has steadily improved all season and is finishing strong. We're not sure he'll live up to his potential over time, but that's because his ceiling is so high. Still, we know that he will be a top wing defender for years to come. His defensive talent, both in guarding players and creating turnovers, can grow to elite levels, and he's already pretty good.

3989.jpg

Griffin​

PF: Blake Griffin, Clippers
We've been writing the same things since early this season. Griffin has long outplayed the rest of this rookie class, performing better than perhaps any other rookie has in the past 30 years. Whether it's scoring, rebounding, dunking, hustling or competing, Griffin gets a superlative rating, even when compared to most veterans. If the Clips were 15 games better, he would be part of the MVP discussion. My guess is he will be for years to come.

4260.jpg

Monroe​

C: Greg Monroe, Pistons
This spot seemed to belong to DeMarcus Cousins, and in some respects, Monroe is the anti-Cousins. If Cousins had been off the board at No. 5, the Kings probably would have taken Monroe, so this has worked out beautifully for Detroit. To start the season, Monroe lacked assertiveness, but he quietly ramped up his production while keeping mistakes at a minimum, another contrast with Cousins. He has become a consistent force with upside -- he's just 20 years old.
[h3]Second team[/h3]
Gary Neal, Spurs
Ed Davis, Raptors
Patrick Patterson, Rockets
DeMarcus Cousins, Kings
Derrick Favors, Jazz
[h3]Most disappointing[/h3]
Wesley Johnson, Timberwolves
Al-Farouq Aminu, Clippers
Gordon Hayward, Jazz
Evan Turner, Sixers
DeMarcus Cousins, Kings
[h3]Most promising futures[/h3]
"Upside" can be a dangerous thing for coaches and GMs. They draft for it, but when it does not deliver, guys can get fired. A balance is sought, one where the talented but raw player has a floor that is already pretty high, meaning that even if the player doesn't maximize his full potential, he's still going to be very good and very valuable. We can call this the "Lamar Odom phenomenon," as he's a guy who, although never quite reaching his potential, is still a very special and talented player with a pair of championship rings.

The five guys on our list below are good enough that they can make significant contributions even if they don't max out their potential. And if they do, watch out.

Let's look forward five years and take an educated guess at the most likely outcome, ranking them in terms of what we actually expect them to become:

4237.jpg

Wall​

1. John Wall
This is not a clear-cut choice, given that Griffin is already a star. Even if Griffin does not get any better, Wall has to improve a lot just to catch him -- and we all know Blake will get better.

But Wall has showed an immense willingness to fight to get better, and with his size, length, speed and heart, he's going to be a dominating player.

Try this test, comparing three point guards' rookie seasons:

Player A: 18.1 points per 40 minutes, 25.2 assist rate, 51.6 TS%, 16.05 PER

Player B: 18.8 points per 40 minutes, 21.8 assist rate, 48.9 TS%, 15.20 PER

Player C: 17.3 points per 40 minutes, 29.2 assist rate, 49.2 TS%, 15.68 PER

Pretty similar, right?

What if I added that Player C is taller, faster and longer, averaged twice as many steals as Player A and more than Player B, and projects to be a better defender than Players A and B as he matures?

Wall is Player C, and I'm not saying that we know he'll be better than Derrick Rose (Player A) and Russell Westbrook (Player B).

But given good health, he'll be pretty darn close in two seasons to where they are now. And because his team lacks great talents like Kevin Durant or Joakim Noah (or even Luol Deng, Carlos Boozer, Serge Ibaka or James Harden), Wall will be forced to do even more than Rose or Westbrook has had to do.

It may not equate to a bunch of wins until help arrives, but it will lead to his having a great opportunity to reach his potential. Which gets him the nod here.

3989.jpg

Griffin​

2. Blake Griffin
Clippers Nation can rejoice, as Griffin's impact will be heavy for years to come. In many ways, he's an oversized Charles Barkley, who posted a career 24.6 PER (11th best of all time).

If I were more confident in Griffin's ability to shoot, he'd be my runaway top choice on this list. But I've seen his shooting regress, which causes me some concern. Developing a steadier jumper and free throw motion should be his top summer priorities. If he attacks those aspects of the game the way he attacks the rim, with no fear and great focus, he can reach rare air.

4257.jpg

Favors​

3. Derrick Favors
I often compare player development to gardening. Some plants require almost nothing, can live anywhere and thrive no matter what. For instance, in NBA terms: Kobe, Wade, LeBron, Griffin.

But most plants require a good amount of sun, water, etc. to do well. Give them special attention, and they reach their full size and color.

Favors should do really well in Utah, where he will get the resources he needs to become very good -- a coach who will use his talent, a GM who will build smartly with him in mind and, most importantly, a chance to play a lot now that the Jazz are regrouping and rebuilding.

At worst, Favors will flirt with being a double-double machine and a solid defender, qualities that would put him fourth on this list. But I suspect he'll get enough special attention to pass Patrick Patterson and become the third-best player in this class within five years.

4264.jpg

Patterson​

4. Patrick Patterson
Because of Kentucky's phenomenal freshman class of 2009-10, people have overlooked what a special player Patterson has been for some time.

In 2007, he was the fourth-best big man coming out of high school, behind Michael Beasley, Kevin Love and J.J. Hickson. He willingly played a lesser role on behalf of the team at UK but has shown in Houston why he was so highly rated.

When Patterson put his name in the draft in 2010, I considered him an upgraded version of Udonis Haslem, but he's been better than that. I'm impressed with how much his game has grown in just a few months, and Houston fans can recognize some of Luis Scola's signature moves being done by a much taller and quicker Patterson.

As it stands now, he'll be a very good sixth man for a talented Houston team, or the Rockets will move him for more assets and he can start somewhere else for years to come.

4258.jpg

Cousins​

5. DeMarcus Cousins
In terms of talent, we all know that Cousins could be first on this list, and he's shown his talent in bursts throughout the season. But because we don't know whether Cousins will figure things out, he barely keeps Landry Fields and Ed Davis off this list.

Cousins is not a fun guy to practice or play with, and he's been a problem for the Kings all season. And as badly behaved as he was this season, there is the possibility that he'll get worse next season. Conflict with his star teammate Tyreke Evans is looming if things are not straightened out (and has already appeared at times). The franchise, which is just as bad, faces much uncertainty about where it will play, what kind of fan support it will have, who will be on the roster, who will coach Cousins, Evans and the rest of the players, and who the GM will be. None of this provides the kind of stability that Cousins needs.

Yet even with all the concerns, Cousins should continue to produce. He's just too big and too good not to do so, even if we may never see him reach his incredibly high ceiling.

Lakers>Hornets
SpursMavs>Blazers
Thunder

Lakers Vs Hornets:
-Not much to really see here, the Lakers appear to be far too much to handle for the Hornets. They might squeak out a game, or even two, but the Lakers size, home court advantage, Kobe Bryant, won't allow this series to go too long. Lakers in 5 Here, although if Chris Paul can get into the paint (likely scenario) and Belineli, Jack, and Ariza are on fire from the perimeter, it could make things a little interesting. Maybe.

Spurs vs Grizzlies
-The grizzlies have played the Spurs well not just this year, but the past two years as well. Even before Randolph came aboard, the grizzlies always faired well against the Spurs. Zach Randolph is a phenomonal talent that is a offensive rebounding magnet, soft hands, and can even knock it down from 18 feet and in. This pulls Tim Duncan away from the basket, and this alters the consistency of the spurs defense. Can Mike Conley get below the free throw line and make things happen for the grizzlies is the question right here. He played them well in the regular season. The additions of Tony Allen and Shane Battier will really be felt here, as both can guard Manu Ginobili and slow him down a bit (.It should be noted here that I believe he will be fine by sunday) If Zach Randolph, Mike Conley and Mark Gasol impose their will in the paint, with sam young slashing and O.J. Mayo, Conley, and Vasquez hitting from the perimeter, I see it very tough for the spurs. Grizzlies in 6, although its hard to go against Tim duncan, Manu Ginobli, and parker with Pop at the helm.

Mavs vs Blazers
-I might be in the minority here, but I believe the Mavericks win this one in five, no more than 6. The Mavericks when they are sharp, are overloaded with extremely solid pieces that very few teams can match them with, out west at least. With Dirk, and Jason Terry handling the bulk of your offense down the stretch, and Tyson Chandler anchoring your defense, I don't see how critics are picking the blazers here. LA probably will be good in this series, but I don't see him getting much help.

Thunder vs Nuggets
-This is the series out west. This series is poised to go 6, 7, games but I believe the Nuggets will pull this out, although the thunder winning wouldn't suprise me. Can the Thunder get production from outside of Durant and Westbrook in the playoffs is the question. Harden has made tremendous strides this season, will he be the x factor for them in the playoffs? The front line for the thunder is extrememly formitable defensively, what will they give them on the other side of the ball though? We all know the story with the nuggets, how well they have played since the trade of Anthony? Can they continue that in the playoffs? Are Nene and Martin going to control the paint offensively and defensively? Ty Lawson has been great for them, but the bigger, more physically deft Russell westbrook is in front of him now, how will he fair? I have the nuggets pulling this out, but this is a toss up.

tumblr_lhkpptuasY1qa84eno1_500.jpg

Am I alone in thinking Dwight Howard can channel his inner Hakeem Olajuwon and destroy the Bulls by himself in the second round?

Yep im callin the magic with the upset over the Bulls...i think the shooters are gonna be working and Turk gonna step up too

Dang I really wished Rudy was playing against the Spurs. Is he rally out all the playoff, BHZ? I mean what if this guys pulls a Wiillis Reed in the third game and come out the tunnel
laugh.gif

I also hope Dwight goes ham in the playoffs and his players look like trash to give him more of a reason to bounce with the lakers.
laugh.gif
smile.gif

I get where you comin from in terms of the Center and 4 shooters angle, but the Bulls can bang on him enough with Noah, Boozer, Asik, Gibson to simply stay home on those shooters and not let them fire away cleanly. 

Dwight could average 40 in that series and still lose imo. 

For the Magic to win, J-Rich would have to play out of his brain, and Turk would need at least some of that 09 Magic in him.  And Rose just might penetrate enough to where he stops in that 10 foot range for floaters and what not, if Dwight tries to block those, Noah and Boozer clean up behind him.  I think it could be a good series, but I think Chicago would find a way to win. 

If you can't see the Thunder are rising, and rising quickly, and the fact that Perk helps them out big time, I don't know what to tell ya.

I'm fine with that. That is legit. They ARE legit, but I'm just not pegging them for a Finals trip just yet. Why? Because I don't see how in the world they can get by the Lakers, and maybe even San Antonio. I'm not counting San Antonio out until that bastard Duncan retires. I'm sorry, but I can't disregard a team that won 61 games this year, and about 30 of those wins were CLUTCH wins. Games coming down to the wire and them winning them.

I'm fine with people writing Dallas off, they have everything to prove right now and don't deserve to be the ones people are picking as they've failed in the Playoffs recently, it's whatever to me. I know because I watched pretty much every game this year, that if we can get rolling, it's going to make for a tough match-up for anyone. It's whether we see that team, or the old team that can't play defense.

OKC is going to be great. They are right now. But what's so wrong with wanting to see them win a playoff series before calling them contenders? I have no problems saying they'd be competitive, I'm not saying they won't. But to see them in the Finals? Eh.

LA, San Anton, Miami, Boston, and Chicago. I'm sticking with San Antonio as contenders because the composition of this team is not that much different from a team that won in 2007, and a team that went to the WCF in 08, AND THEY'RE THE NUMBER ONE SEED.

And if the Thunder end up losing in the second round, or hell even the first round, people will just come back and say they're young what do you expect? THIS IS WHAT I EXPECT. Growing pains, inexperience in the Playoffs.

And the Spurs can't play defense, yet they held the same Thunder team to 74 points in a blowout back in January...

Oh and the Spurs held opponents to 98 PPG, while OKC was 101 PPG.

Oh and the Spurs are super old, even though their oldest back-court guy is 33 and still playing in his prime and the rest of their back-court is under 30. The only old guys they have that slow them down are Duncan and McDyess, but for 36, McDyess is in great shape, and Manu doesn't need to be lightning quick to be efficient.

I've just seen this script before for the last damn decade. The Spurs just won't go away. Their core is too solid, and they keep building upon that, now with Blair, Neal and Hill to compliment their big three.

Shoot me for having an opinion, but I just don't see the Thunder as being Finals-status contenders until I see them win some Playoff series.

I just hope all the upper-seeds win so we can see OKC/SAS and LAL/DAL. It'd be fun, entertaining basketball, and it'd make for great debates on here.

Originally Posted by PMatic

Am I alone in thinking Dwight Howard can channel his inner Hakeem Olajuwon and destroy the Bulls by himself in the second round?
I think the series will go 7 and I think Dwight will show that he was clearly better than Rose this year, but I just don't think he has enough around him.  I'd absolutely be ecstatic if it happened though.

I picked Chicago but I would not be surprised at all if that happened.  And I wouldn't be surprised to see JJ do a decent job covering Rose if they went that route.

And I wouldn't be surprised to see JJ do a decent job covering Rose if they went that route.

JJ? Like, Redick?

Nah man.
laugh.gif

Ray Allen, sure. Some average sized two-guards? I can see that.

Not Rose though. Too strong, too crafty, too fast.

I feel like he would light him up. I'll concede that I don't think they really have anyone else to guard him unless you want Jason Richardson or Jameer Nelson on him.
laugh.gif

Now, I didn't watch any of the Bulls/Magic games that I can remember, did JJ ever guard Rose? Or is this just an opinion of yours.

Originally Posted by Proshares

I picked Chicago but I would not be surprised at all if that happened.  And I wouldn't be surprised to see JJ do a decent job covering Rose if they went that route.
I know JJ is an improved defender, but come on now.
laugh.gif
Nevermind he's been out with that bothersome abdominal strain.

Back
Top Bottom