Official BBQ thread

This thread tho! :pimp:

Great pics guys! Great Info too, I'm a novice griller and it's so much more to it than I expectedn to get that quality. I love reading everything tho.

Carry on.

What yall usim for rub? Yall make your own or buyin some?

Im from texas so i use a salt/pepper based rub for all beef, some pork

Brown sugar based rub for chicken and pork

I make all my rubs, people always tryna ask/figure out my recipe.

Been wantin to try meat church rubs tho

@Brolic Scholar  Those spares looking good

I've made some basic brown sugar rubs but Im not too well versed creating my own kind of taste tbh

I stay stocking up on commercial stuff from the hardware stores

What yall usim for rub? Yall make your own or buyin some?

Im from texas so i use a salt/pepper based rub for all beef, some pork

Brown sugar based rub for chicken and pork

I make all my rubs, people always tryna ask/figure out my recipe.

Been wantin to try meat church rubs tho
My all purpose seasoning (not exactly a rub) is Salt,Pepper, Garlic Powder, Cumin, Chili Powder

About to throw some Jerk Chicken on the Weber.

What is everyone's take on char on chicken.

@AF Writer

@Meangene45

Are against it and calls it "burnt food." 

I use turbinado sugar (sugar in the raw), paprika, salt, pepper, cayenne, onion powder, garlic powder, and celery seed. Simple, but good. I usually make a huge batch and I'll get a few smokes out of it.

I always have used Brown sugar, but lately I've been using the sugar in the raw and I love it.

Last edited:
My all purpose seasoning (not exactly a rub) is Salt,Pepper, Garlic Powder, Cumin, Chili Powder

About to throw some Jerk Chicken on the Weber.

What is everyone's take on char on chicken.

@AF Writer

@Meangene45

Are against it and calls it "burnt food." 

What do you mean by char on the chicken?

You tryna get crispy skin on smoked chicken?
Grilled chicken wit crispy skin?
Some people dont clean the grates good enough and the left over residue is the black stuff.
Your AP rub sounds about right tho. Salt/pepper/garlic as the base and an extra ingredient is the basic way to keep it.

Last edited:
Char is the black burnt spots when you bbq.

I personally love some char on my chicken. Not over done, but a nice char is always appreciated.

Yea, basically dark spots on the chicken from direct flame. Adds crisp. Nice color.

Like, they call this burnt. I call it crispy.

Not all from the grill, but was just giving an idea of my color of choice

Looks good to me man, I wouldn't say that's burnt. As long is the inside is juicy and moist then that **** is good to go.

The legs look on point. Few of yhose wings look a lil burnt, the last pic thighs? They look extra crispy but I like em like that.

I might be lookin wrong, but it looks like you put a glaze on the chicken? The amount of glaze you put can result in over crispy skin or just the right crisp.

Last edited:
that looks good dc 8)

im not really a wing fan. flame on.

i almost never order wings at restaurants or the china spot.

the only part of the wing i like is the white meat part on the mini leg.

Last edited:
You guys ever see the competition bbq cooks that take the skin off the breast/thigh, scrape all the fat off the skin, and then rewrap the piece of chicken? That is aggressive as hell, but I bet that skin is crispy as **** and there is no pull when you take a bite. :lol: :lol: :smokin

Last edited:
You guys ever see the competition bbq cooks that take the skin off the breast/thigh, scrape all the fat off the skin, and then rewrap the piece of chicken? That is aggressive as he'll, but I bet that skin is crispy as **** and there is no pull when you take a bite. :lol: :lol: :smokin

Lol yeah thats so the skin gets crispy witout the chicken gettin over done. Tedious work, I aint got time for that tho :lol:

What about ribs? Yall like to take a solid bite wit no tug, or fall off the bone?

Last edited:
thats too much.

i seen some cats on tv that take the membrane off ribs.

i leave that on. i like it

You have to take the membrane off man, that's SOP. It's easy to pull off and with the membrane they can get rubbery imo.

Last edited:
Lol yeah thats so the skin gets crispy witout the chicken gettin over done. Tedious work, I aint got time for that tho :lol:

What about ribs? Yall like to take a solid bite wit no tug, or fall off the bone?
with rib you should be able to take a bit and leave a perfect outline of your teeth (like a half circle), with no pull.

with rib you should be able to take a bit and leave a perfect outline of your teeth (like a half circle), with no pull.
Yeah thays how i make mine 75% of the time, but evry now and then they are fall off the bone.
I dont ever get complaints, but i hear a lot of dudes talmbout its over done if its fall off the bone.

Just wanted solid opinions since I hear old skool smokers talmbot how fall off the bone is over cooked. It can still be tender but its still over done.

I try to get that perfect tenderness with ribs but if its falling off the bone Im def not mad either..Im not in any competitions :lol:

I enjoy the process of the tedious things cooks do in comps though just cause sometimes

jrp44 jrp44 I throw some wood on the coals every now and then when I grill chicken but not too often.

The legs look on point. Few of yhose wings look a lil burnt, the last pic thighs? They look extra crispy but I like em like that.

I might be lookin wrong, but it looks like you put a glaze on the chicken? The amount of glaze you put can result in over crispy skin or just the right crisp.
The last picture is Chicken Meatballs.

The Glaze is Sweet Baby Ray + Grace Jerk Sauce

Yes, the sugars allows for easier carmelization.

Back
Top Bottom