**Official Kendrick Lamar Thread 4th Studio Album ''DAMN.''Out Now**

Personally i say we just close this discussion with a Music Critics Dissection of This Record:

Still Amazed he gave it a 10/10 :smokin

Drake is biting off of Future and Migos all over that tape, you can rock with that?
He mentioned the beats being cookie cutter which I don't agree with.

-USA Today: Like Kanye West’s monumental Yeezus in 2013, Lamar has made something that feels truly genre-shattering with Butterfly

^ These are the type of reviews you'll see for this album. They don't, and never have given a **** about hip hop/rap.

The irony.

Then you omit rappers who've been doing the same **** as Kendrick for years. That's my problem with a lot of Kendrick fans, dudes act like he's bringing something revolutionary to the table when he's far from the first to do it.

Maybe it's a novelty on the west coast, but that conscious **** been floating around for years. When it comes to rappers out west I can only think of Ice Cube who did it similar, but even in his case Cube made it so a lot of people could relate. Then came Ras Kass who I think is ******* brilliant on the mic.

I remember white dudes walking around with Lethal Injection shirts back in the day...and he never shied away from giving it to you straight with no chaser. Where Kendrick is trying to do all this riddle ****, and the message is obscured when presented as so.

I agree with @Cragmatic

If another artist made this album y'all wouldn't give it the time of day.
I don't think you understood my opinion
My point was that Kendrick took influences from 90s rap and his own experiences to make an album to relate to the current state of our generation
His subject is not revolutionary, but he isn't following the current trend also and would rather not confine his craft to what's popular these days
And you said the message is riddled? Give me clarity on that, because imo he totally poured out his state of mind in this album, with his contradictions, survivor guilt, find one's self, and being at odds with politics in the hood and the U.S.
I respect your opinion that you don't like the album, but I can't rock with your reasons

Drake is biting off of Future and Migos all over that tape, you can rock with that?

-USA Today: Like Kanye West’s monumental Yeezus in 2013, Lamar has made something that feels truly genre-shattering with Butterfly

^ These are the type of reviews you'll see for this album. They don't, and never have given a **** about hip hop/rap.

This and Yeezus shouldn't be mentioned together at all. Yeezus was a bunch of noise with no type of lyrics other than like 3 songs. Kendrick's album is Hip Hop, Jazz and Funk. It's pure black music. You're right a lot of critics don't give a **** about Hip Hop, that's why most people don't take what they say that serious lol. If you don't like the album cool.

Last edited:
Drake is just doing what's going to make him money at the end of the day. He's already proven he can do this incense burning India Arie soul child type music (Drake - Think Good Thoughts).

what makes him money???

drake is doing what he does best. rapping

drake i the number one rapper today.

bar none and this is coming froma kanye stan

Who cares about the reviews though? Why do they matter? They don't change the music.

Personally i say we just close this discussion with a Music Critics Dissection of This Record:

Lol, damn, that guy hates on everything in rap, and gives this a 10/10? Well okay then.

I'll get a lot of heat for my opinions even more, but I loved Yeezus, it truly is sonic cocaine.

Lol, damn, that guy hates on everything in rap, and gives this a 10/10? Well okay then.

I'll get a lot of heat for my opinions even more, but I loved Yeezus, it truly is sonic cocaine.
I disagreed with some of his reviews, like MBDTF and House of Balloons

He was spot on with Run the Jewels and Pinata though

Why is that scoop ball head gomer pyle face *** ***** the go-to for reviews?

I don't get it. 

Dude is just a huge music reviewer on YouTube. Reviews all kinds of stuff from different genres, they are sometimes interesting to listen to, but he usually annoys me.

Nardwaur interviews on the other hand.... Nothing but lol's

I love his reviews. Dude has put me on some great music including: The Waters by Mick Jenkins and Feel Good by The Internet. The 10/10 is surprising coming from him because he's pretty harsh.

what makes him money???

drake is doing what he does best. rapping

drake i the number one rapper today.

bar none and this is coming froma kanye stan

Number 1 as in sales? Cause he's not the total package and I'm as big of a stan of Aubrey as anyone.

I'll say it again...

The only time a hip hop album gets mad praise is when it's not really hip hop anymore, and the critics latch on to it because it's something different for the genre.

I don't look at the beats on Drake's mix tape as being cookie cutter; just because a dude throws in a mix of jazz and funk doesn't mean it's good.

Hip hop was always about having fun, partying and the like, and I've read where people say the times of today call for an album like this.

PE made music that you could vibe with, and the message was there. But it was also fun music.

I can't vibe with this.
How is the Jazz, soul and funk not hip hop. Hip hop wasn't all about having fun and partying, look at the late 80s-90s. Rappers became more vocal and conscious of social problems surrounding them. That gave birth to the West Coast era where it was all fun, partying and good vibes right?

If you don't relate, you don't relate. To say this ain' hip hop is another. There's no one time period to classify hip hop.

Lol at the Drake talk. Drake is the top rapper today because he writes the best hooks. Dude can write good songs but as the top rapper he has 0 classic albums under his belt. Not for nothing Kendricks albums are more memorable than his. Drake just has the perfect formula for the currect state of the game, he can make radio hits effortlessly. He has cool 1 liners here and there but you can't give a verse that is moving like a Can I Live, Life's a *****, Creme, Song Cry, Blacker the Berry etc.

No sense to compare the two, he has his lane and it works, in the 90's there were A LOT of popular rappers with various angles and lanes, they weren't compared. Just enjoy all the good music these artists provide for us.

How is the Jazz, soul and funk not hip hop. Hip hop wasn't all about having fun and partying, look at the late 80s-90s. Rappers became more vocal and conscious of social problems surrounding them. That gave birth to the West Coast era where it was all fun, partying and good vibes right?

If you don't relate, you don't relate. To say this ain' hip hop is another. There's no one time period to classify hip hop.

All of this. This album IS hip hop/rap and black music in it's truest form. Dude's done got the pop/EDM influence on the game misconstrued. Probably why I skip them tracks everytime on Drake's tape.

If you don't rock with it fine but to say it's not hip hop is ludicrous. So I guess Outkast, Pac, Nas etc. wasn't hip hop either/rap. Cause there definitely wasn't a whole lot of party **** with those either.

I agree with the yeezus Slander, hopefully kanye will be inspired to make good music again by this album

I'm late to the party but I love the production. Feels like I'm listening to Fly Lo, Thundercat, Parliament or some jazz classics.

Back
Top Bottom