OFFICIAL LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS 2013 OFFSEASON THREAD - Media Day Done; Training Camp Starting

Now that I think about it, I don't want the Clippers to hire Brian Shaw or any other assistant HC. We' re trying to win now, we can't wait for the coach, we need a proven winner. 1st year coaches need to start off with young teams or rebuilding teams..

Now that I think about it, I don't want the Clippers to hire Brian Shaw or any other assistant HC. We' re trying to win now, we can't wait for the coach, we need a proven winner. 1st year coaches need to start off with young teams or rebuilding teams..

How many "proven winners" are on the market right now?

Last edited:
You're right. I just don't want a 1st year coach. We need to win now..

As much as I agree with your last sentence, I think the Clippers need a fresh, young coach (Brian Shaw).

I just feel even with established coaches such as Karl, Nate, Gentry or whomever... anyone short of Phil Jackson and it's gonna be the same outcome. 1st/2nd round KO.

My only exception with that rule is Jerry Sloan, but even he's a longshot.

Shaw or McMillan plus retool the roster @ the 2/3/5 and you never know we might get further than 1st Rd next season. >D

Last edited:
He might be the best coach on the market right now but after this last playoff run I know he's gonna want a lot of money and you know how Sterling is with money....

Hollins might be a little too rich for our blood. I will stand by my choice of either Shaw or McMillan.

No Nate McMillan. Gimme Jeff Van Gundy, Byron Scott or JKidd.

Last edited:
Why would you want Jason Kidd? lol

We have the talent to win a ring, why risk another season bringing in a player fresh out of retirement to coach our team?

Last edited:
Doc Rivers still mulling future

Although Boston Celtics team president Danny Ainge has stated that Doc Rivers will return to coach Boston next season, Rivers believes it "may be time for a change," according to a source close to the situation. "Doc loves coaching," the source told ESPN. "He loves coaching in Boston. But he feels it may be time for a change."

One source with knowledge of the Clippers' thinking said Rivers almost certainly would become the the club's first choice if he becomes available.

:nerd:

Although Boston Celtics team president Danny Ainge has stated that Doc Rivers will return to coach Boston next season, Rivers believes it "may be time for a change," according to a source close to the situation.

Very Few Docs In The House

With the recent firing of George Karl, Doc Rivers has moved up in tenure in the NBA. Interestingly, since the 2009-10 season, only the five longest-tenured coaches and Phil Jackson have reached the NBA Finals.
Mo/hire
Gregg Popovich Spurs 12/1996
Doc Rivers Celtics *****04
Erik Spoelstra Heat *****08
Rick Carlisle Mavs *****08
Scott Brooks Thunder 11/2008
-- ESPN Stats & Information

"Doc loves coaching," the source told ESPN. "He loves coaching in Boston. But he feels it may be time for a change."

Rivers, who has been attending the Celtics' pre-draft workouts, is unsure of what he wants to do and has not yet ruled out returning to Boston for a 10th season. He has a very close relationship with Ainge, and the source said that is one factor that is making his decision so difficult.

If Rivers were to walk away from the three years and $21 million remaining on his contract with the Celtics, it is not clear whether he would seek another coaching job next season or sit out and possibly return to broadcasting.

If Rivers became available, he would immediately become the most coveted coach on the market. The Brooklyn Nets and Los Angeles Clippers asked for permission to speak with Rivers about their coaching jobs last month, but Ainge refused to grant it.

There is a feeling throughout the league, however, that because of the closeness of their relationship, Ainge would allow Rivers to leave and go elsewhere if the coach requested it.

More on the Celtics

Keep on top of the Green throughout the offseason with ESPNBoston.com's Chris Forsberg. Blog

• Send Chris a question

If Rivers is interested in coaching somewhere else next season, he needs to make a decision soon because the most favorable jobs will not remain open much longer. The Nets appear close to hiring Jason Kidd as their coach, and the Clippers are interviewing candidates this week.

One source with knowledge of the Clippers' thinking said Rivers almost certainly would become the the club's first choice if he becomes available.

While he has debated taking time away from coaching in the past, Rivers signed a five-year, $35 million extension after the 2010-11 season and said he was committed to the potential long-term reshaping of Boston's roster.

After the New York Knicks eliminated the Celtics from the first round of the Eastern Conference playoffs, Rivers said of his future, "I'm coming back until I say I'm not."

Looks like McMillan is no longer in the Coaching race!  If Rivers becomes available, I would love for Doc to come back to the Clippers!!! Only problem is that I can't really see Sterling matching Rivers current pay of $8 Millon per year price tag at which his current contract is at with the Celtics.

The Clippers rescheduled some interviews in their coaching search, said several NBA executives who were not authorized to speak publicly on the matter.

Former Memphis Grizzlies Coach Lionel Hollins was scheduled to interview with the Clippers’ front office Wednesday, but Hollins was attending an NBA competition committee meeting in San Antonio today, the executives said.

So the Clippers and Hollins now are scheduled to meet Thursday and Friday in Los Angeles, the executives said. Hollins also will meet with the Denver Nuggets for their head-coaching opening on Saturday.

Former Portland Trail Blazers Coach Nate McMillan was supposed to meet with the Clippers Thursday, but his meeting was canceled. The Clippers' interest in McMillan was lukewarm, one executive said, and they might not interview him at all.

Indiana Pacers associate coach Brian Shaw was interviewed by the Clippers Monday for the opening and former Cleveland Cavaliers Coach Byron Scott also interviewed with team in L.A.  on Tuesday.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-clippers-coaches-20130612,0,5283260.story?track=rss

Got an eerie feeling Doc wont be with the Celtics next year. Heard some noise on the radio talking about "those close to Doc suggested he thinks it may be time for a change..." :smh: :smh:

Take that for what its worth i suppose.

View media item 453512

Sources: Doc Rivers, Clips interested

Sources told ESPN.com on Wednesday that Rivers is highly intrigued by the idea of coaching the Clippers in the event that he and the Celtics part company after nine seasons together and one championship in 2008.

The Los Angeles Clippers have not formally requested permission to interview Celtics coach Doc Rivers in the wake of widespread reports about Rivers' potential departure from Boston, but there is strong mutual interest between the parties, according to sources close to the situation.

Sources say that the Clippers, meanwhile, would immediately vault Rivers to the top of their list if he became available as they continue a coaching search that, to this point, has focused on Brian Shaw, Byron Scott and Lionel Hollins.

Why Doc Can't Just Walk Away

In an era of NBA coaching musical chairs, the Celtics' loyalty to Doc Rivers is special and not something that should be thrown away, writes Chris Forsberg. Story

Earlier Wednesday, the Los Angeles Times, citing several NBA executives, reported that if Rivers decides he doesn't want to coach in Boston anymore, the Clippers would be interested in him and he would become their No. 1 choice.

ESPN.com has also learned that the Celtics and Clippers -- in an offshoot of February's Kevin Garnett-to-L.A. trade talks -- discussed expanded trade scenarios that could have sent both Garnett and close friend Paul Pierce to the Clippers before the league's Feb. 21 trade deadline.

Sources say that those talks, before breaking down, were centered on Boston getting back both prized Clippers guard Eric Bledsoe and young center DeAndre Jordan and did not involve Clippers star forward Blake Griffin.

It is not yet known whether the Clippers intend to revive those trade discussions and pursue either Garnett or Pierce -- or both -- in conjunction with this month's NBA draft. But one source familiar with the Clippers' thinking told ESPN.com that the club plans to be "very aggressive" and "shake every tree" in terms of upgrading the roster this offseason. Acquiring Garnett or Pierce -- or both -- would naturally make Rivers even more of a natural coaching target for the Clippers than he already is.

In the February trade talks between the two clubs, the Celtics were also trying to send Jason Terry to the Clippers, but the Clippers did not want to take back the 2 years and $11 million that remain on Terry's contract.

While the Clippers would certainly love for Rivers to coach their team, one source said they cannot mortgage their future by giving up an exorbitant amount of assets to get him.

Rivers, now regarded as one of the NBA's consensus top-five coaches after his considerable success in Boston, played one season for the Clippers on the franchise's first L.A. playoff team in 1991-92 after breaking in with the Atlanta Hawks.

More on the Clippers

For more news, notes and analysis of the L.A. Clippers, check out the Clippers Report. Blog

The Clippers, sources say, are determined to pursue a bold course with their roster this summer no matter who is hired to succeed Vinny Del Negro. Step 1 is re-signing All-Star point guard Chris Paul when he becomes an unrestricted free agent July 1, but sources say that Clippers management then intends to be aggressive in upgrading the cast around Paul and Griffin in the wake of a disappointing first-round playoff exit that cost Del Negro his job.

The Clippers already had preliminary discussions with the Orlando Magic about trading for shooting guard Arron Afflalo at the pre-draft camp in Chicago, and there is a level of mutual interest on both sides, sources said. ESPN.com's Chad Ford reported that Orlando is interested in a package that would include Caron Butler and Bledsoe, but the talks are preliminary at this point. It's believed that the Clippers would want at least one more asset in order to part with their prized young point guard.

On the coaching front, meanwhile, Shaw, Scott and Hollins have all formally interviewed for the Clippers' opening this week.

Rivers, though, could thrust himself into that race after ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard reported Wednesday that the 51-year-old believes it "may be time for a change" despite repeated insistence from Celtics president Danny Ainge that Rivers will be back on the Boston bench next season.

"Doc loves coaching," one source close to the situation told Broussard. "He loves coaching in Boston. But he feels it may be time for a change."

Sources said Thursday that the Celtics want Rivers back and are determined to prevent him from coaching another NBA team next season since he has three years and $21 million left on his contract. But sources added that Boston could be moved to let Rivers out of his contract depending on the level of compensation they get from the Clippers, whether that's a veteran player or future draft picks. The thought in coaching circles is that the close relationship between Ainge and Rivers might help the coach get out of his obligation.

More on the Celtics

Keep on top of the Green throughout the offseason with ESPNBoston.com's Chris Forsberg. Blog

• Send Chris a question

Broussard reported Wednesday that the Brooklyn Nets and Clippers did seek permission from Boston to interview Rivers for their respective openings in May, but Ainge denied both requests.

The possibility also remains that the Celtics can commit to bringing Pierce back for next season, which sources say would strongly increase the likelihood that Garnett agrees to play for a 19th season. The Celtics have until the end of June to decide to pick up Pierce's $15.3 million option for next season or buy him out this month for $5 million, provided they don't trade him first.

One source close to the situation said Thursday that the Celtics do not expect any decisions on the futures of Garnett or Pierce to be made before the NBA Draft on June 27.

With Pierce and Garnett still in the fold and Rajon Rondo expected to be back for training camp after suffering a torn knee ligament during the regular season, Rivers might decide that the Celtics still have a sufficiently competitive team to persuade him to remain in Boston.

Rivers signed a five-year, $35 million extension after the 2010-11 season and said he was committed to the potential long-term reshaping of Boston's roster. After the New York Knicks eliminated the Celtics from the first round of the Eastern Conference playoffs, Rivers said of his future: "I'm coming back until I say I'm not."

Rivers was originally scheduled to attend Boston's workout Thursday of potential draftees but was delayed after traveling back from a competition committee meeting at the NBA Finals in San Antonio. Sources say Rivers has attended most of Boston's draft workouts while deliberating about his future and has likewise been involved in Boston's free-agent planning as well as visits with veterans Rondo, Jared Sullinger and Jason Terry, who have all been at the Celtics' workout facility rehabbing from injuries.

Information from ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard and ESPN.com's Andy Katz was used in this report.

Dawg. i don't even care if Broussard's the source. :lol:
I'll ride this rumor until it dies.

C'MON DOWN DOC!!!

It's not just Broussard. Ramona Shelbourne is reporting it too and she's usually pretty reliable. Let's hope it goes somewhere.

@WojYahooNBA
If Celtics and Clippers can finalize a deal that includes Doc Rivers, Kevin Garnett will waive his no-trade clause, league sources tell Y!

RT @ESPNSteinLine: Sources tell ESPN that Clips want to keep Bledsoe out of trade with Celtics for KG (and Doc) to be able to put Bledsoe in separate deal

RT @ESPNSteinLine: Among scenarios Clips considering, sources say, is offer of Blake Griffin & Bledsoe in sign-and-trade pitch Lakers for Dwight after July 1

:wow:

I can't even keep up.

Back
Top Bottom