*Official LOST Season 4/5 Discussion Thread*

Originally Posted by duncarooos

guys I know I wouldn't be posting in this thread again but OH WELL i love lost too much..

I have a question that hopefully some of you guys might be able to answer.

Ok so the producers Abrams and Lindelof know EXACTLY how the story begins and ends right?? Meaning they're not making up stuff as the story goes on...

I was just reading an entry on wikipedia and it says

"In the second season, Michael Emerson was contracted to play Ben ("Henry Gale") for three episodes. His role was extended to eight episodes because of his acting skills, and eventually for the whole of season three and season four."

How does that work considering how significant of a character Ben is to the story??? Did they change the entire story just because Emerson was such a good actor?? or...whats up

they already had a leader for the others written, but they also wanted the losties to catch on of the others, ben then became that leader. so the leaderwas already there, and the captured other was already there, they just sort of became one.

CALLING NYC

When you tell us to look at the first scene of the Pilot episode with Jack waking up, are you basically telling us to focus on the white shoes (hisfather's) or something more? Do you have something else in mind, like any other objects that happen to be laying next to him?

Put differently, is there more than a thematic/artistic connection between how Jack wakes up, Ben wakes up in the recent episode, etc. etc.?

The baton laying beside Jack when he wakes up.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Right?

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

The baton laying beside Jack when he wakes up.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Right?

Yeah... it's hard to tell if it's actually the thing than Ben carries. If it is, so far it's just a weapon, but it could have something to dowith time travel/teleportation/the Orchid, which could turn that whole opening scene of the pilot episode on its head...

Here's a screenshot of the baton/weapon thing....
eek.gif
eek.gif

8ba2574e0c4d8611774afa3f80ad38c70878404.bmp

This wait for part two of the season finale is killing me....

duncarooos:
Ok so the producers Abrams and Lindelof know EXACTLY how the story begins and ends right?? Meaning they're not making up stuff as the story goes on...

I was just reading an entry on wikipedia and it says

"In the second season, Michael Emerson was contracted to play Ben ("Henry Gale") for three episodes. His role was extended to eight episodes because of his acting skills, and eventually for the whole of season three and season four."

How does that work considering how significant of a character Ben is to the story??? Did they change the entire story just because Emerson was such a good actor?? or...whats up
From what I understand, here's how shows work.

The writers write a show according to the storyline that the producers produce.

Say I'm a producer of a new series. The series is a drama. I have main characters, main plots, supporting characters, sub-plots, 'filler'characters, and mini-plots. I have the entire story detailed from beginning to end. The beginning of my story involves a huge earthquake the splits Americaright in half, and the end of my story shows that all conflicts and troubles have resolved, and the world moves on, with this new existence containing a'North USA' and a 'South USA'. I have different desires for all of my main characters, supporting characters, and 'filler' characters;some die, some are related but don't know it, some marry each other, some kill each other. I already have the tie-ins for all of my main plots, sub-plots,and mini-plots.

I have all of this written down.

Then I begin working with the writers to put all of my writing into a show.

So the fact that Ben was originally supposed to be in 3 episodes this season, but that has been changed t 8... that means nothing to the main plot of thestory, which was developed before the first LOST episode ever hit the air. We're watching a completed story unfold; some of us are able to figure the nextstages of the story before we see them, others think they already have the entire story finished in theory, and others (this is me) are still trying to figureout things from like last month, last season, or even the first season.
laugh.gif
embarassed.gif

Hope that answers your question.

if you guys look around enough, spoilers are out.
like who dies in the finale, who is in the coffin, the "frozen donkey wheel", etc.
lostfan108 is around...

-J-

Say "no" to spoilers!

As for Ben, a similar thing happened with Jack. He was supposed to die early in the show. I think it just means that certain details -- even entire characters-- are flexible in terms of the overall show. For example, instead of Kate taking care of Aaron, I'm sure they could've killed Kate in season 1 and hadShannon raise Aaron instead. I'd imagine that if any of us tried to write a story, we'd see there is a lot of flexibility in the storyline. Granted,Lost involves all these hidden connections and weird coincidences, so there is a little less freedom, but more than we could think of.

As for the baton near Jack....
eek.gif
But is it really a baton? And why would it be there?What's the deeper significance?

Originally Posted by dr funk 13

Originally Posted by PearI Jam

http://www.timelooptheory.com/the_timeline.htm interesting read.

Seriously...this guy is a freakin' genius. Makes a lot of stuff make sense and puts it all into its proper place.

grin.gif
Some of us posted similar ideas and theories over a year ago. But it's still agood theory because it ties a lot of things together.

^ I watch like you, Ant... and there I think a majority of LOST fans do the same (Team No Spoilers?
nerd.gif
Do it, Mitch!)

Wait, forgot which forum I was in for a sec.

Perhaps the baton thing is a weapon that doubles as something to do with the Orchid, like a key or something...

A little far fetched, but imagine that when Locke goes into the Orchid it asks him for the baton or for him to do something with it; I can see something likethat happening. Remember Ben did hand it over to Locke, and Lost has a way of making something unimportant (handing over weapons) come back to mean somethinglarger.

That would spin the opening scene of the pilot...

nycknicks???? Or were you just telling us to pay attention to Christain's shoes on the tree?

Nickthestick91:
The finale is on tonight? My mom just told me.
nerd.gif

There is a finale on tonight.

My prediction for what we will learn from the finale tonight?

David Cook has won it all this year.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by SenorRoboto2k5

CALLING NYC

When you tell us to look at the first scene of the Pilot episode with Jack waking up, are you basically telling us to focus on the white shoes (his father's) or something more? Do you have something else in mind, like any other objects that happen to be laying next to him?

Put differently, is there more than a thematic/artistic connection between how Jack wakes up, Ben wakes up in the recent episode, etc. etc.?

Both the shoes, and more...how he wakes up...where he wakes up....his awakening is similar to Ben's awakening.

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

CALLING NYC

When you tell us to look at the first scene of the Pilot episode with Jack waking up, are you basically telling us to focus on the white shoes (his father's) or something more? Do you have something else in mind, like any other objects that happen to be laying next to him?

Both the shoes, and more...how he wakes up...where he wakes up....his awakening is similar to Ben's awakening.
I think I got it.
When Jack wakes up on the island either he was teleported. OR this was Jacks FIRST time being sent back in time.
He rushed to the beach like he knew to go there.

Only thing with that thought is that there are times he was acting brand new as if he didnt do this b4. Shouldnt he have some
course of action to follow like Ben? My counter to that argument would be that he is trying to do things completely different.

Originally Posted by quiktoflip

CALLING NYC

I think I got it.
When Jack wakes up on the island either he was teleported. OR this was Jacks FIRST time being sent back in time.

Only thing with that thought is that there are times he was acting brand new as if he didnt do this b4. Shouldnt he have some
course of action to follow like Ben? My counter to that argument would be that he is trying to do things completely different.

Just watch though how Jack gets up and then sprints directly to the beach and then starts going around helping people. It almost feels like, a few momentsafter waking up, somehow he knows exactly what to do.

Originally Posted by whywesteppin

Originally Posted by quiktoflip

CALLING NYC

I think I got it.

Just watch though how Jack gets up and then sprints directly to the beach and then starts going around helping people. It almost feels like, a few moments after waking up, somehow he knows exactly what to do.

Yeah thats what I was saying. But at times he seems like things are new, maybe that means he successfully changed some part of what happened originally.

So has my "observation" that Jack wakes up because he was teleported or just traveled back in time
been made already.
eyes.gif
embarassed.gif

Dang i thought I had something to contribute
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom