OFFICIAL Minnesota Vikings Season Thread: Bummer dudes.

Originally Posted by rsdplaya

totally forgot about the game
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif

haha jk

From looking at the boxscore...Sage did great and Jackson not so much. Living on the west coast during football FTL...Thankfully NFL network is replaying thisgame in about 15.

Probably gonna cop Directv before the season.

I'm watching the game now. Sage looked good. I have my doubts that they would've went for it on 4th down both times if it were a regular season game.The D-Line looked amazing on that first series. Hopefully Berrian's injury doesn't linger.

That defense...I tell you what guys. A return of the Purple People Eaters?

Offense looked smooth all the while playing with a sense of urgency when Sage was in. Starters looked great from what I saw.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/v...8cyaiUo8cyaiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

Childress downplaying any advantage gained between QB's

Perhaps inside the confines of Winter Park, Brad Childress is different. Maybe he does express his emotions on occasion to give an indication of how he really feels. But that is a side of Childress that few outside of the Vikings organization are ever going to see.

And so when quarterbacks Tarvaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels have a particularly rough day, like they did in Wednesday's practice, Childress remains unflappable. And when Rosenfels performs like he did in the Vikings' preseason opener Friday night in Indianapolis, Childress is, well, like this:

"I thought he had a decent rhythm," Childress said. "I thought he knew where he was looking. He got the football up the field, checked it down a little bit, had a good command. So he started off this week, and Tarvaris will kick it off next week against Kansas City."

Those comments certainly wouldn't lead anyone to believe that Rosenfels had made the most of his opportunity to get the edge on Jackson in their competition for the starting job. The statistical evidence: Rosenfels completed 10 of 13 passes for 91 yards (95.4 passer rating) in leading the Vikings to a touchdown and field goal in the opening two series of a 13-3 victory over the Colts.

Rosenfels' teammates were a bit more effusive in their praise.

"Sage did a really good job. I thought he played well," receiver Bobby Wade said. "I thought he managed the game well. He did a really good job in our no-huddle in the second series. Did a great job of working the middle, keeping plays alive."

Tight end Visanthe Shiancoe was Rosenfels' primary target, catching four passes.

"He looked really poised and definitely showed his veteran leadership," Shiancoe said. "He was just composed and made the correct reads. The thing I liked is that he was also patient."

Rosenfels looked far more in command than Jackson, who was 7-for-15 for 39 yards with a 53.5 rating during five series spread over portions of the final three quarters.

Childress' measured response, besides being part of who he is, might stem from the fact the Colts sat their top five defensive backs. That meant Rosenfels was going against a second-team defense in the passing game.

One thing Childress has to find encouraging regardless of the opposition is that Rosenfels appears to be growing more comfortable with the Vikings' version of the West Coast offense. Acquired from Houston for a fourth-round draft pick last February, Rosenfels clearly was going through some mental gymnastics when training camp opened. That no longer seems to be the case.

"Every coach reads different plays differently," Rosenfels said of adjusting to what Childress wants. "I'm trying to learn it exactly the way he wants me to run it. I feel like I'm getting better at that, but there's always things that come up, situations that come up. A defensive blitz that comes up where he thinks I should go with the ball, and that's what I'm trying to do."

What Jackson is going to have to do in the Vikings' preseason home opener Friday is be far more efficient than he was against the Colts. Jackson admitted after the Colts game he has "a lot more work to do." A solid outing by Jackson this week could help put him on even ground with Rosenfels, but if he struggles in his opportunity to start ...

"It will be a big week for T. Jack because now he gets to work with the [starters]," Shiancoe said. "We'll get to see how he handles himself going with the ones."

No matter what happens, it would seem that whichever quarterback is selected to start the third preseason game, Aug. 31 at Houston, is going to be the winner of this derby. Teams often give their top players extensive action in that game before resting them in the preseason finale.

It should come as no surprise that Childress had little interest in telling the media how he expects this to play out.

"You guys need something to write about for two or three weeks. Don't you?" he joked. "If I can stretch it for four I'll do it for you. ... You get to play both ends against the middle for these two weeks, and Week 3 is kind of the rubber game. How's that going to go?"

Childress then turned somewhat serious.

Yeah, you're very stealth Brad.

http://blogs.startribune....Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

This isn't going away

First off, let's be very clear that what you are about to read is speculation. It's not a news report, it's one man's opinion about something many of you likely grew tired of reading about months ago. Secondly, I actually gave thought to not even putting this on the blog but figured you were going to hear about it at some point today and decided it made no sense to withhold it from Access Vikings.

Thus, here we go (again). Jay Glazer of the Fox Sports website speculates, predicts, forecasts in his Glaze Across America reports that Brett Favre will be joining the Vikings in the next few weeks, or at least attempt to join the team in that time frame. (That cup of coffee that just got spit out belonged to Sage Rosenfels. Tarvaris Jackson simply rolled his eyes.)

No, this isn't a joke, although Glazer is basing his information on a feeling he had after having conversations with those involved with the Vikings during his stop in Mankato a few weeks back.

Here's what Glazer wrote: "Granted, my camp stop occurred before Sage Rosenfels lit up the Colts in the preseason opener to the tune of 10-of-13 passing for 91 yards. And if Rosenfels can continue like this, he could squash this prediction as the preseason continues.

"But until I see it more consistently, I'm absolutely convinced. Why? For starters, because everyone else on the Vikings seems to be convinced of the same thing. I mean damn near everybody! During my two days in Mankato, nearly everyone I talked to within the team talked about Favre joining not as an 'if' but rather a 'when.'

"This is not one of those 'FOXSports.com has learned …' scoops. Instead, it's a picture that has been painted for me and a prediction I'm making after spending my time with Zygi Wilf's squad. My prediction couldn't be more emphatic."

What's interesting is why the heck did it take Glazer so long to make this "prediction"? If you're this sure of it, why not throw it out right away?

So to summarize, Glazer thinks Favre is going to play for the Vikings this season. There is no hard evidence this will happen but get used to this type of speculation. It's going to continue until Favre either does play for the Vikings in 2009 or until the 2009 season ends with someone else at quarterback.

Yes...Of course. It makes sense. How dare Vick get the spotlight?

Ah how i wish i ran the StarTribune.

I lost complete respect for Zulgad and Craig this offseason with their ESPN 2.0 department.

Wilf's cuttin a check for potentially 12 more mil means Childress is gonna have to likely go NFC championship game or bust. The dude's leash wasn'tthat long to begin with too as we know.

Gonna try to avoid Favre mania the next month, thank god i just re upped my NFL Ticket last night too
pimp.gif

Man....think of that life though. You show up, ding you get yet another 12 million in your pocket to sock away.

Deal was for two years. Bad news Ry. Unless this season is an epic failure that may have bought Childress a re-up on his contract. I have a feeling Favre willplay next season as well.

^ I agree. If this season is a success (or they are right on the cusp of the S.B. but not quite there) I see him coming back too. The thing is, the happiestguy in the world right now is Adrian Peterson. Favre just standing there upright is going to free so much up for him. We often forget this....A.P. yes has beenrunnin behind a good line. But he has played with some of the worst QB play and playcalling in general in the league. He's been seein 8-9 men in the boxhis whole career with defenses also knowing the team won't attempt a throw longer than 15 yards. Both players are going to do wonders for each IMO.

Of course this is all assuming Favre stays healthy.

Childress? Who knows. The key to being a good coach is adapting to your surroundings and making adjustments. Maybe the guy actually comes in this year andstarts to change things. It would be pretty pathetic if he didn't. Three years of dink and dunk and patchwork QB play have gotten him nowhere. And as wehave gone over, he has been handed as much individual talent as any coach in the league in his three short years. A complete idiot could get wins out of thisteam.

"Here we just got you Steve Hutchinson."

"Here now you get to add Adrian Peterson to your backfield."

"Here we are stealing our rival's best WR and giving you Berrian."

"Now we are going to trade for the league's best Defense End to add to your Pro Bowl Defensive line."

"Yes we will sign off on another 12 million and are letting you acquire Brett Favre."

Etc, etc.

This guy is sitting pretty and he knows it. And he could not have asked for a better schedule to start the season. Personally my dislike for the man (and mylikely half !%@ comments all season) will still continue, and so will my dislike for the way he has operated. I will keep an open mind however....but Im stillwaiting for this clown to get out and for this organization to go out and get someone who is not just a glorified NFL assistant with no real duties in hiscareer before he got here, which Childress is.

Give me any of the big names sitting out there right now waiting to sign on with a team and let's really roll....let's play to win instead of not tolose. Let's make adjustments at halftime once. Let's open up a playbook. Let's allow our fans to actually watch one football game without throwingup their hands in the air and saying "what on gods green earth was that call?"

I was planning on taking a trip back to MPLS at the beginning of October to visit family, and go to the Vikes/Packers game. How much am I looking at fordecents tickets now?
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom