OFFICIAL Minnesota Vikings Season Thread: Bummer dudes.

I felt that time when he was being introduced and holding up the jersey was extremely awkward. Btw, Childress couldn't have started that and better, toshow off his social ineptitude. Trying to start off mentioning things about the team and *%%@.
laugh.gif

The Madden 10 update comes out tomorrow... Vick and Favre are part of the new roster update... The Vikings were already a problem, but now they got #4 too
sick.gif

It's easy to hate on Favre, but part of it is the media's fault... The slurp fest is disgusting... The other part is his flip floppin, but whowouldn't come back for 12 mil a season... The NFL season needs to start already..

I didn't pay attention in sig making class....

laugh.gif
check this out:
Troy Williamson-WR-Jaguars Aug. 20 - 11:15 am et

Coach Jack Del Rio singled out Troy Williamson as one of the bright spots in Jaguars training camp.
"He's got speed, and I don't think anybody questions that," Del Rio said. "Troy's done a nice job, had a nice camp." Williamson turned six targets in the preseason opener into four catches for 74 yards, and has a legitimate shot at a big early-season role opposite Torry Holt. He's worth monitoring.
Source: Florida Times Union
If Troy Williamson is one of the bright spots in camp I don't think it's going to be a very good year for the Jags....

How long do you think Favre's going to play tomorrow?

I say 2 drives, tops. He won't get a full quarter.

Originally Posted by JPZx

How long do you think Favre's going to play tomorrow?

I say 2 drives, tops. He won't get a full quarter.

Yeah...Very limited. Definitely not a quarter. I think if Childress were smart, he'd still want to give a lot of playing time Jackson and Sage.

Hmmm well that makes five years in a row this is Troy's break out year and expect big things from him.

The fellas in General came through for me guys
46b260c1f98d853ee114c2bfac0e36badd76d152.gif

This one by: IM A HELION

MINNESOTA VIKINGS
<<<2009-2010>>>
Peterson - Favre - Taylor - Berrian - Rice - Harvin - Shiancoe - PWilliams - KWilliams - Henderson - Greenway - Winfield - Hutchinson - McKinnie - Allen.

These two by: Mister916

Team Minnesota Vikings
Allen - Berrian - Favre -Greenway - Harvin - Henderson - Hutchinson
McKinnie - Peterson - Rice - Shiancoe - Taylor - K. Williams - P. Williams - Winfield

Team Minnesota Vikings
Allen - Berrian - Favre -Greenway - Harvin - Henderson - Hutchinson
McKinnie - Peterson - Rice - Shiancoe - Taylor - K. Williams - P. Williams - Winfield

Ya'll should give kudos to both of them for coming through, I'm going to. Anyway, I'm going to reserve my opinion on which of the three I like better until I hear what the rest of you think.

Personally, I like the last one too. All three of them are great though. Big ups to both of those guys.

So there we go...One series it is.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/v...8cyaiUo8cyaiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

Favre expected to start against Chiefs on Friday

Brett Favre's debut in a Vikings uniform on Friday night is sure to cause great excitement among the masses in the Metrodome, but the reality is this will be nothing more than a dress rehearsal.

Three days after signing with the Vikings, Favre is expected to start and likely will play one series in the Vikings' preseason home opener against Kansas City. There will be little time to get a read on what Favre's presence will mean to this offense.

But with the Vikings' regular-season opener at Cleveland less than a month away, it's fair to wonder exactly what the veteran quarterback is going to bring to a unit that already contains several key parts. Adrian Peterson is one of the NFL's best running backs, receiver Bernard Berrian has big-play ability, first-round pick Percy Harvin should be a threat in a multiple of ways and Visanthe Shiancoe is an emerging tight end.

Favre shouldn't have to win games for the Vikings, but he will be counted on to make the plays that Brad Johnson, Tarvaris Jackson, Brooks Bollinger, Kelly Holcomb and Gus Frerotte couldn't.

"The one thing that people will see is a crispness to this offense," said kicker Ryan Longwell, a teammate of Favre's with the Green Bay Packers for nine seasons. "It will run quickly, it will run efficiently and there will be a zip to the plays, to the throws, to even your check-down patterns and stuff. There will be a crispness to it and he'll bring that into the huddle. You'll be able to see that pretty quick."

Perhaps the most interesting thing will be seeing how Favre functions within this system. Favre played in the West Coast offense for 16 seasons in Green Bay - during an interview on HBO this summer Favre said he could "teach this offense" - but the reality is that coach Brad Childress has some of his own ideas about how things should run. Childress is a stickler for details and precision and hasn't allowed his quarterback's much leeway at the line of scrimmage.

Favre? The NFL's all-time leader in interceptions (310) didn't get his gunslinger reputation by accident. Favre might be many things, but it's always seemed laughable to refer to him as a game manager.

"It's really going to be all up to the coaches, how much they want to put on him early," wide receiver Bobby Wade said. "This offense has a lot of stuff in it that he's really familiar with, a lot of stuff that he can check to, a lot of stuff that he can alert to. So as far as him being comfortable and being able to play the same way that he's been able to play, I think he'll still have that opportunity. As far as the plays being changed and things like that, that's going to be strictly up to Coach Childress and (offensive coordinator Darrell) Bevell."

Ultimately, Favre and Childress are going to need to work out a compromise where neither let's their ego get in the way. Favre, who will turn 40 on Oct. 10 and is entering his 19th NFL season, should have the ability to change things in the huddle or at the line of scrimmage based on what defenses are doing. His experience should make him a coach on the field who at a moment's notice can make the best use of Peterson, Harvin, Berrian or Shiancoe's abilities.

But Childress also is going to need to maintain enough control so that what has made the Vikings successful - remember, this team won the NFC North last season - remains in place. This is a very good running team that simply needs to be more effective through the air, not turn to the pass. Favre might think he can throw it all day because opponents put eight-men in the box, but for a guy about to turn 40, who has a torn rotator cuff in his throwing arm and underwent surgery in May to repair his biceps tendon that wouldn't be recommended.

"There has to be balance on both sides," said Trent Dilfer, a former NFL quarterback and current ESPN analyst who played in the West Coast system with Seattle and San Francisco. "Brad has to be flexible enough to let Brett run and operate the offense the way he's most comfortable operating it. Brett has to realize that his best football has always been when he's had very solid boundaries surrounding him."

Favre seemed to understand this as he spoke during his introductory news conference Tuesday. Last season, he threw a league-high 22 interceptions with the New York Jets, including nine during the team's 1-4 finish.

"I think as a QB, you kind of go as the team goes, and what you are asked to do," Favre said. "You never know. I have heard that this whole offseason, 'You don't have to do much, we have a great running game.' We all know that, but there will always come a time when you need to make plays and you have to do certain things that you may not have to do on a consistent basis. I would be the first to admit, I don't think I am capable to make some of the plays I used to make. My mind might tell me I can, but I don't know physically if I can do that. Understanding my limitations, how it pertains to what we are trying to do is all a part of this process."

http://sports.espn.go.com...09/news/story?id=4424660

What two knowledgeable NFL people described earlier this week as an "issue" in the Minnesota Vikings locker room was described Wednesday by a third informed person as a "schism."The Herd with Colin Cowherd

Vikings DE Jared Allen discusses Brett Favre's impact on the Minnesota locker room. He says Favre's preseason start was surprising, but was appreciated by the team.

The issue is quarterback Brett Favre, and the schism is the preference that certain Vikings players have for specific quarterbacks.

Sources with knowledge of the Vikings locker-room dynamics say some players believe Tarvaris Jackson gives the Vikings the best chance to win, while other players believe Sage Rosenfels gives the team the best chance to win -- which is one of the new twists to this storyline. In the words of one NFL source, Favre has "little support" in the locker room as Minnesota prepares for its Monday night preseason game against the Houston Texans.

Favre, who signed only last week, struggled in his one preseason appearance but could easily win backers with improved performance and victories. But as it now stands, one NFL source said these locker-room issues stem back to long before the team signed Favre, and it's possible they will not be going away any time soon unless Favre can completely silence them with his play.

Vikings coach Brad Childress was even asked Wednesday about the speculation.

"I've seen the same reports you've seen," Childress said. "Those are opinions. It's hard to shoot holes in an opinion. It's just that -- an opinion. I certainly don't see it."

Asked if he addressed with the players that friendships must become secondary to winning, Childress said: "I think all of them will cite that business is business. Whether they like it or not, that's the way it is. As I told Tarvaris, 'I don't expect you to like it.' He's a highly competitive guy, and he came back and played very well. That benefits him, that benefits us. There's no downside to that. I don't expect those guys to like it. But I expect them to deal with it and go forward. And by and large, that's exactly what's happened."

If Favre plays well, it's possible the issue could be silenced and the schism could evaporate. But it's also possible that if Favre struggles, the drama that accompanied his entrance will only increase, threatening to affect the Vikings' season and Childress' future.

Adam Schefter is an ESPN NFL Insider.

One of the many drawbacks I saw coming from this. Whatever is going on, it better get straightened out quick.

Winning will cure this, but crap...risky business here.

I don't get this at all.

If they wanted to declare who they preferred they should've done this before Brett Favre signed a big contract tocome in here and be the starter because that's when there actually was a QB competition.

What's the point in saying who you prefer at all at this point? As of now, there's no budging room at the QB position. Brett will be the starter aslong as he has a contract with the Minnesota Vikings. There's ZERO chance we signed him to all that money to sit on the sideline and hold a playbook.

No matter what the players want, Brett is going to start. Do they really think the up-and-down Tarvaris Jackson gives them the best chance to win of all theQBs on the roster anyway? This can't be a serious story. To be honest, I think of the four quarterbacks, Tarvaris gives us the third best chance to win outof all of them.

I mean what's the point of saying who you prefer at this point....it's almost as if they're deliberately trying to split the locker room
smh.gif

^ It's the Vikings...They love to make thins harder on themselves.

This whole situation is just sticky and exactly what I was afraid of. It has nothing to do with what QB gives you the best chance to win either...Thissituation has too many circumstances involved for the Vikings to come out an overall winner unless of course they reach the Super Bowl. That's the only waythis Favre saga is worth it.

[h1]Favre says there's no "schism"[/h1]
Posted by Mike Florio on August 27, 2009 8:15 PM ET
ESPN's Adam Schefter has reported that there's a "schism" in the Vikings' locker room regarding the identity of the team's starting quarterback.

(We've heard merely that there's a "faction" of players who prefer quarterback Tarvaris Jackson. But what the hell do we know?)

On Thursday, Favre addressed the report. Per Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star Tribune, the newest old Viking was "clearly annoyed" by the report.

He apparently would have been even more annoyed if he knew what a "schism" is.

"I don't even know what that means, I've got no reaction," Favre said. "I'm just doing what I can do to hopefully help this team win and just trying to fit in. I'm not worried about that. That's for you guys to have some fun with. Once again, I have no idea what that means. I'm assuming it's controversial." (Favre's response reminds us of Muhammad Ali's reaction to being called "truculent" by Howard Cosell.)

"You guys have to keep stirring the pot I guess," Favre added. "Somebody has to make up a story like this. I can assure you, I don't think any guy in the locker room, me included, would use that word. We'd probably come up with something a little different. You guys have to come up with something a little more locker-room related."

Yeah, "schism" is one of those high-falutin' words, one that only a guy who went to college (and, you know, actually went to the classes) might use.

Meanwhile, Sean Jensen of the St. Paul Pioneer Press has reported that more than a dozen starters were not aware of any problems in the locker room, and ESPN's Rachel Nichols (as one media source who saw the coverage tells us) disputed Schefter's report based on her own information.

Then again, Rachel has had her face tattooed to Brett's bum lately (no disrespect intended), so the only thing noteworthy about her report is that ESPN actually is pitting their employees against each other on the air in a non-contrived Salisbury-Clayton way. As to Jensen's report, it's simply impossible to accept at face value the denials from players in the starting lineup after the sheetcake has struck the fan.

We've been hearing since late June that there are players on the team who want Jackson to be the starter. And while we haven't heard that it has risen to a high degree of rancor (Brett probably thinks that word is the name for a special kind of tractor), we're convinced that there was, as of yesterday, an issue.

Frankly, it's possible that these reports have galvanized (Brett really has a headache now) the team, causing them to rally around a guy who waltzed into the locker room after skipping the entire offseason program and all of training camp.

Regardless, this one hasn't been "made up," no matter what the guy who just got there nine days ago has to say.
Link
[h1]Vikes dump Glenn Holt[/h1]
Posted by Mike Florio on August 27, 2009 1:15 PM ET

I got an e-mail earlier today from a reader who pointed out that the Vikings reportedly had cut receiver Glenn Holt.

My response? "Who in the hell is Glenn Holt?"

As it turns out, he's a fourth-year wideout who spent three seasons with the Bengals. Cincinnati opted not to use a restricted free agency tender to hold his rights for a fourth year, so he signed with the Vikings.

Holt actually started two games last year for the Bengals, appearing in 15 due to his role on special teams as a kick returner. He signed with the Vikings before Percy Harvin was drafted, and on the surface the move suggests that Harvin will indeed have a major role in the return game.

The Vikings recently have now announced the move, and the thing that caught our eye was the absence of another move aimed at filling Holt's spot on the roster. It makes us wonder whether the Vikings are finalizing an effort to improve the corps of pass catchers who'll be available to quarterback Brett Favre.

Marvin Harrison is the most obvious candidate, but we still think he wants much more than any team would be willing to pay. (That said, the Vikings as of last week still had more than $6 million in cap space.)

So how about Matt Jones? Tom Curran pointed out a week or so ago that the 2005 first-rounder's second chance could be coming in a week or so, and I've suddenly got a feeling that the bookend to the release of Holt could be -- emphasize the "could be" -- the arrival of Jones.

It's all rank speculation, admittedly influenced by the fact that the guys at WHBQ in Memphis asked me an hour or so ago why Matt Jones doesn't have a job in the NFL.

Given the fact that Glenn Holt had a job in the NFL until this morning, it seems odd that no one is giving Matt Jones a chance to show what he can do, especially since he had a pretty solid season in 2008 with the Jaguars.

Link
That whole second part about Matt Jones is pure speculation by Florio....but I still thought I'd post it.

ESPN stays TMZing their football coverage. What a joke.

I swear to god i have no idea how professional athletes are able to deal with the media every day, i would seriously break someone's neck probably once amonth. We are going to be dealing locally with this Favre coverage for the next 6 full months....gee cannot wait.

There is zero friction in the lockerroom. And even if there was who cares? Is Jared Allen not gonna get off the line quicker now when he's on the field? IsWinfield going to stop tackling guys? Are guys just going to stay home? Players care about themselves and their health and their money and they go to workevery day. It's funny....there was supposedly friction last year for guys wanting TJack to start and guys wanting Gus. But because this doesnt involveFavre ESPN never analyzed that one.

Im stopping now simply because it's hard for me stick up for the Vikings.

Back
Top Bottom