OFFICIAL Minnesota Vikings Season Thread: Bummer dudes.

Favre might have cracked rib...That was quick.

August 31st, 2009 - 2:24 PM by Judd Zulgad HOUSTON - Wathing about five hours of "SportsCenter" paid off today.

Throughout the day ESPN has been having members of its "Monday Night Football" crew file reports over the phone to build anticipation for tonight's game on the network. Well, sideline reporter Michele Tafoya came through with an interesting bit of news this afternoon.

Tafoya reports that Vikings quarterback Brett Favre said he suspects he might have cracked a rib when he took that big hit on a blitz from Kansas City linebacker Corey Mays in his first preseason appearance on Aug. 21. Favre was in for only two series and threw four passes. The hit by Mays was Favre's final play of the night. Favre shared this information in a production meeting with the ESPN crew on Saturday at Winter Park and to date there apparently has been no official diagnosis to confirm his belief.

No one else from the Vikings mentioned the injury.

Favre, who came out of retirement only two weeks ago, did say that taking a deep breath causes discomfort. However, he has no plans to start wearing protective padding for his ribs.

Favre is still expected to play the entire first half and possibly into the third quarter at Houston tonight. If Favre does have a rib injury, you can add that to the rotator cuff tear he already is dealing with in his throwing arm. Favre also had a biceps tendon surgically repaired in the same arm in May.

The ultimate concern for Favre and the Vikings is the quarterback breaking down. He turns 40 on Oct. 10 and while from all accounts his arm is in very good shape, there is concern about the rest of his body and whether his legs can stand the grind of a 16-game season (and possibly the playoffs).

Wow...

If this is the kind of crap that we're going to be seeing all season then Gandalf needs to hang em up
smh.gif
....FOR GOOD.

Jackson to be traded
The Vikings have called teams to see what they would be willing to offer in exchange for backup quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, according to a league source.

The Vikings have four quarterbacks on their roster, which must be trimmed to 53 players by Saturday. Coach Brad Childress said recently the team possibly could keep four quarterbacks, but it seems more likely that it will trade or release one.

Jackson has been the subject of trade rumors since Brett Favre arrived. However, it remains unclear which direction the Vikings will go if they are unable to trade Jackson.

Jackson, who started 20 games in his first three seasons with the team, admitted he feels a sense of uncertainty about his situation, but he said he is focused on preparing for Friday's preseason finale against the Dallas Cowboys.

"You never know with this business, period," he said. "I just take it as it is. Whatever happens, happens. I can't control it. I just try and get better, that's it. I can't worry about [whether he gets traded or released]. I'm not worried about it because I can't control it. Whatever is going to happen is going to happen whether I worry or not."

Childress said Favre will not play Friday (teams typically rest their starters for the final preseason game) so that means Jackson, Sage Rosenfels and John David Booty will split playing time.

"I feel certain that I can play well in this league," Rosenfels said. "When this team needs me, I can play at a very high level, and I think I've played pretty well this preseason. I think I've played well since we left Mankato and at the end of Mankato. I think I'm playing high-quality football. My goal is to continue to play at a high pace."
It's a mistake! It's pitiful for the Vikings that this is out in the open too. FAIL

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Jackson to be traded
The Vikings have called teams to see what they would be willing to offer in exchange for backup quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, according to a league source.

The Vikings have four quarterbacks on their roster, which must be trimmed to 53 players by Saturday. Coach Brad Childress said recently the team possibly could keep four quarterbacks, but it seems more likely that it will trade or release one.

Jackson has been the subject of trade rumors since Brett Favre arrived. However, it remains unclear which direction the Vikings will go if they are unable to trade Jackson.

Jackson, who started 20 games in his first three seasons with the team, admitted he feels a sense of uncertainty about his situation, but he said he is focused on preparing for Friday's preseason finale against the Dallas Cowboys.

"You never know with this business, period," he said. "I just take it as it is. Whatever happens, happens. I can't control it. I just try and get better, that's it. I can't worry about [whether he gets traded or released]. I'm not worried about it because I can't control it. Whatever is going to happen is going to happen whether I worry or not."

Childress said Favre will not play Friday (teams typically rest their starters for the final preseason game) so that means Jackson, Sage Rosenfels and John David Booty will split playing time.

"I feel certain that I can play well in this league," Rosenfels said. "When this team needs me, I can play at a very high level, and I think I've played pretty well this preseason. I think I've played well since we left Mankato and at the end of Mankato. I think I'm playing high-quality football. My goal is to continue to play at a high pace."
It's a mistake! It's pitiful for the Vikings that this is out in the open too. FAIL

Aww man, i'd love to keep Jackson. Maybe he'll develop, within the next two years, i don't know
ohwell.gif
But i'd rather keep him than have Sage
grin.gif

Why Greg Lewis though?
sick.gif

I know one of the reasons was because of the special teams factor he brings...but come on. We could have gone after a better WR than that or we could haveupgraded our depth at a different position.

I'm ready
pimp.gif
Been ready actually...this seemed like the longest preseason ever
laugh.gif

I got us winning 24-10

Originally Posted by JPZx

Why Greg Lewis though?
sick.gif

I know one of the reasons was because of the special teams factor he brings...but come on. We could have gone after a better WR than that or we could have upgraded our depth at a different position.

Yeah, I see what you mean, but I'll let it all play out before I snap judgement. In reality, I don't see him making any major contributions and I feltthe same with Wade. Neither would or will have a big impact if any, at WR, so I guess if anything, it makes sense to after a guy with better special teamcapabilities.

We'll see if he even lasts though.

The important thing about that is Favre was named captain by his TEAMMATES!

Schism....yeah, right
grin.gif

Nice W. A few thoughts...

- The run d didn't look as dominant as we've seen it before.
- Hopefully the punt return for a TDwas a one time thing. They can not afford to give up multiple special teams TD's again.
- O-line needs to be more consistent.
- Percy looked good.
- Favre looked fine. Didn't do anything dumb. His timing was off on a couple throws. Hopefully that improves with more practice time with the WR's.
- It was good to see them come out more aggressive in the 2nd half.

I only saw the 4th quarter due to a softball tourney, but that is exactly how we need Favre to play. The Browns are boo-boo, but Minnesota did what they weresupposed to do. I'm already looking forward to next week.

Well I was off by 10 points for both teams, but still got the margin right. Good start. I'll take it.

Favre will get better as the season goes, I think. I like the statline, only 21 throws.

Our running game will be the key. If they're consistent, and I'm confident they will, it will limit favre to only 21-25 attempts per game so thathe's fresh in the homestretch and also lessen the chance he does something stupid. At the same time, Favre is good enough to make something happen withonly that amount of throws. Win win for us.

I thought we played well...

During the first quarter and maybe a little bit into the second, our O-Line looked really shaky. As the game went on though I think they started to gel andplay well. Sullivan didn't have a perfect game against Rogers, but I don't think you can say he played bad. Loadholt looked fine to me.

Our ST once again looked a suspect, but I still believe they will be far better than last year. Cribbs is a hell of a returner, one of the more consistent onessince he's been in the league actually.

Adrian Peterson....do I really have to say any more? 3 TDs, 180 YDs, 0 fumbles (and I say that because Bears/Packers fans enjoy to bring that up when talkingabout AD).

Favre was solid. He did exactly what we needed him to do. Limit mistakes and make the necessary throws in the situations they need to be made. There was acouple of times you could tell that he and the receivers didn't have their timing down perfectly...but he definitely made some nice throws that wewouldn't have seen consistently from any of the other QBs currently on the roster. He also led us on a couple of nice, long drives that really tired theBears defense out which is another thing we haven't seen from a Vikings QB for a long time.

Berrian
nerd.gif

Percy
5bc3692b17ac821c51f1eb164aa8bd982c95bca1.gif

Good game overall. We came out of the gate a little slow but the team I saw in the second half is the team I expect us to be the rest of the season andpossibly even better.

Motor City here we come
46b260c1f98d853ee114c2bfac0e36badd76d152.gif

Back
Top Bottom