:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

Any tips on how to glue toe cap back onto these flamingo asics? Also, how to clean nubuck a bit?
Lincoln EZ Cleaner is one of the most referred and recommended cleaners for suede,nubuck,etc. Cheapest I've found a single bottle online is $8.10 shipped here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290799211565?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Tutorial on how to reglue:

(Different shoe, but apply a similar concept)

Dont use bleach. There is a possibility it will become yellow and not worth the risk in my opinion. 
It will only become yellow if you don't wash it off and if you have no idea what you're doing, otherwise bleach is an amazing tool for cleaning. Great for mesh,  white midsoles and occasionally leather.

Last edited:
Good tips in that video ^^^ thanks.

Easiest way to remove smoke smell from shoes? bought some used.... :/

What kind of paint can I use on this small scuff/peel on retro 6 sports blue to cover this up.

So I had been using "Ice Cream" from Raleigh Restores on Instagram but figured I would try the 40 volume.  People were talking about it a lot and it was cheap I will say.  But, after this experience I will never use 40 cream again.  Here's what happened:
I was very careful as I do not want separation as I've never glued shoes before.  It was 75 degrees out yesterday, and I applied a medium amount of cream on there with saran wrap.  I had ice in the shoes and checked on the shoe literally every 5-10 minutes for running or separation.

is there any fix for this?
this is what i used

this is what happened :frown: Can I fix this?

I also tried "ice cream" and it seems to do better than pure 40 cream, i think they add some other stuff to it cuz the consistency of "ice cream" is a lot more thinner than the vol 40 cream... Sole separation is unavoidable when doing it, it all depends on how old is the shoe.

Whats the best way to get the residue from a crumbled midsole off the outsole? I've been at this for a couple days and I'm not even done with one of them. 
I just use chisel, some of the white paint might get scrapped but you just have to do some touch up. Nothing major..

A lot of those icy sole formulas/brands use Salon care 50 mixed with other stuff. Salon Care 50 in itself is tons stronger than Salon Care 40. Only a few actual icy sole formulas/brands have their own real formula that is better than Salon Care 50. Take a bottle of Salon Care 50, compare it with whatever you're using and if there is a major difference, then I'll believe it. Most everything out by these companies will probably be better than Salon Care 40 because many (not all) are using a Salon Care 50 mixture.

There's definitely some good ones out there, but just gotta make sure they're actually better since they charge like $20-25 for an 8 oz. bottle compared to a $5-10  for an 32 oz. bottle of Salon Care. Major difference in price and volume.

Last edited:
A lot of those icy sole formulas/brands use Salon care 50 mixed with other stuff. Salon Care 50 in itself is tons stronger than Salon Care 40. Only a few actual icy sole formulas/brands have their own real formula that is better than Salon Care 50. Take a bottle of Salon Care 50, compare it with whatever you're using and if there is a major difference, then I'll believe it. Most everything out by these companies will probably be better than Salon Care 40 because many (not all) are using a Salon Care 50 mixture.

There's definitely some good ones out there, but just gotta make sure they're actually better since they charge like $20-25 for an 8 oz. bottle compared to a $5-10  for an 32 oz. bottle of Salon Care. Major difference in price and volume.
I notice that its not as thick as salon 40. And it does work a lot faster but i thought you need a beauty shop license to buy salin care 50. But i might be wrong.

What kind of paint can I use on this small scuff/peel on retro 6 sports blue to cover this up.
i saw a video on this topic, get the angelus white paint and put a tiny bit on a qtip and rub it around until it blends in with the paint around it, results should be really good and easy. hope this helps.

I notice that its not as thick as salon 40. And it does work a lot faster but i thought you need a beauty shop license to buy salin care 50. But i might be wrong.
You do need a license/student ID to get Salon Care 50, but it's not hard to find someone with a license/student ID to help you buy it. Most people can't get their hands on it, so most people don't know how good it is compared to Salon Care 40. It's a ton better, just think about how good Salon Care 40 vs Salon Care 30 is...so you could imagine how strong 50 is compared to 40.

It's the highest number they carry. So I wanted to know if anyone has used it and how it stacks up against Salon Care 50. It does the same thing Salon Care 50 does but I want to know if it's as potent or a diluted version of Salon Care 50.

It's the highest number they carry. So I wanted to know if anyone has used it and how it stacks up against Salon Care 50. It does the same thing Salon Care 50 does but I want to know if it's as potent or a diluted version of Salon Care 50.
The thing is though, if you think about it, Salon Care 50 is only available for purchase with a license/ID because the peroxide levels are to toxic/potent/high. If that product is available for the public, that means their peroxide levels probably aren't as high as Salon Care 50 since it is available to the public even though it has a similar label, unless they're selling it illegally. Not sure how it compares as a deoxidizer for soles,etc. either. Maybe it's as good, idk, but if it works better than Salon Care 40, definitely spread the word.
Anyone help with removing these scuffs?

Last edited:
Yeah I'm curious since it is over the counter. I was thinking it was prolly like Salon Care 40. But I need to place an order and find out. If it's better than Salon Care 40, then we will all reap the rewards and our wallets will be thankful.

Retrobrite and what ever other mixes can kiss my *****.

I have actually found more success with using old fashion whitening toothpaste to whiten my yellowed soles than I did with the retrobrite concoction. Proof below:

This is after nothing more than 2 sessions of scrubbing with a toothbrush and letting them sit overnight under a regular lamp

Back
Top Bottom