Official Thread : Cut your own hair!

I have thickazz hair.  I use the Wahl balding clippers to shave and cut hair.. they work great imo.  50 bucks I believe.

Good prices for the first two sets.
Go with the Andis.
I use an older model Andis ProMotor clipper & Andis T-Edger.
Time to upgrade my clippers.

Is #4 on the top/overall and #1 taper on the sides possible? im having hard time blending it

Thanks

Make this an official cut your own hair thread. That 20 dollar cut aint me anymore.

where can you buy sets like this? Any special stores you have to go to?
been wanting to cut my own hair for a while i pay 16 every cut and its getting old quick

Originally Posted by Hanacheezy

where can you buy sets like this? Any special stores you have to go to?
been wanting to cut my own hair for a while i pay 16 every cut and its getting old quick

Walmart.com Free shipping
pimp.gif

It just takes practice honestly. The only tip I can give is cut in every direction. hair doesnt grow one way.

Your shapeups will be wack to start they will only get better tho. I was lucky I didnt completely !%@@ my +!%$ up the first time and I was pretty good at it from the jump. My boy is a real nice barber and he used to let me know what I was doing wrong. And he would get on me if it was wack so I knew when I @%%*+@ up even if I thought I was fresh. Now my +!%$ is on point every time. You just gotta practice and have your boys let you know if that +!%$ is bad. Cuz trust there will be times where you think you lookin fly and the cut is no good.

Whatever you do, do not cut into your hairline too far to make your shape up look too crisp. You will !%@@ up your hairline permanently. If you mess up just take the L and wear a hat for the week, cuz trying to fix it is just gonna make you look like Russel Westbrook.
Edit: And for tapers I usually just feather the clippers up and out and blend it. I only adjust the lever from the bottom to the top then switch gaurds and do the same thing till I get up tho the # on the top of my head. 

Most useful thread this month 
laugh.gif
. I don't mind paying but them lil imperfections get to me 

im looking to upgrade to some better clippers, been using some cheap wahl clippers for a while now

what would yall recommend for basic cutting all the same length? is the fast feed better than the t-outliner? i want some good durable clippers that will last and dont run hot

anyone mess with the oster outlaw?

I just want a 1.5/2 all over what do I need to get that And what do I need to get to clean them not trying to have that nestle crunch bar neck.

Originally Posted by 59 Piffy

im looking to upgrade to some better clippers, been using some cheap wahl clippers for a while now

what would yall recommend for basic cutting all the same length? is the fast feed better than the t-outliner? i want some good durable clippers that will last and dont run hot

anyone mess with the oster outlaw?

T-Outliner is a trimmer(shapeups,lineups) and fast feed is clippers.

I just bought the fast feed its reallly good. doesnt get hot,cuts really good and precise and also bought t outliner, i used it without adjusting it didnt like it but i just adjusted it. hopefully it got better im gunna test it on my next haircut

Originally Posted by CelticsFan9783

Originally Posted by kickstart

Originally Posted by M4rioL

exact ones I have
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
So would you recommend this kit for a white dude just looking to shave the whole head one length and then shape up a bit? My hair is really not that thick and I'm looking for a practical set.
I have this same exact kit...it's been 2+ years so far and right now I can see some rusting and the head gets hot quicker than when I first broke it out but other than that it works great.  And plus you gotta figure that 29.99 at target pays for itself over and over if you keep it running for 3 years.
I would suggest people throw this one away around 3-4 years down the road...especially if you cut your hair every 2 weeks.

Like i've said multiple times if you wanna cut your hair it's all about mirrors...atleast 3:  one stationary mirror in front of you, one stationary mirror on either side of you...like on a side wall, and one hand mirror.  If you wanna look at what your doing at every angle then this setup will let you achieve that...especially with the hand mirror which you use to look at angles through the other 2 mirrors.

I've been cutting my own hair for about 7 years.  And while the skills of a trained barber are unparalleled...no matter how good you are at cutting your own hair, getting multiple cuts every damn 2-3 weeks can be pricey.  Practice makes perfect and remember not to just go up and down with the guide combs...you also have to go diagonally...especially on the back of the head for a good cut.

For dudes that what long(er) hair on top the clipper set that was posted only has a size 8 (1 inch) as their highest guide comb but you can order bigger guide combs online which are like $5 for a guide comb up to 2 inches if you don't like using scissors. 

I decided to cut my hair after a month of growing it out.
Here's my weapon of choice. 

Before:....(Ignore the edited swirls.)  
laugh.gif

After:

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

Originally Posted by CelticsFan9783

Originally Posted by kickstart

Originally Posted by M4rioL

exact ones I have
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
So would you recommend this kit for a white dude just looking to shave the whole head one length and then shape up a bit? My hair is really not that thick and I'm looking for a practical set.
I have this same exact kit...it's been 2+ years so far and right now I can see some rusting and the head gets hot quicker than when I first broke it out but other than that it works great.  And plus you gotta figure that 29.99 at target pays for itself over and over if you keep it running for 3 years.
I would suggest people throw this one away around 3-4 years down the road...especially if you cut your hair every 2 weeks.

Like i've said multiple times if you wanna cut your hair it's all about mirrors...atleast 3:  one stationary mirror in front of you, one stationary mirror on either side of you...like on a side wall, and one hand mirror.  If you wanna look at what your doing at every angle then this setup will let you achieve that...especially with the hand mirror which you use to look at angles through the other 2 mirrors.

I've been cutting my own hair for about 7 years.  And while the skills of a trained barber are unparalleled...no matter how good you are at cutting your own hair, getting multiple cuts every damn 2-3 weeks can be pricey.  Practice makes perfect and remember not to just go up and down with the guide combs...you also have to go diagonally...especially on the back of the head for a good cut.

For dudes that what long(er) hair on top the clipper set that was posted only has a size 8 (1 inch) as their highest guide comb but you can order bigger guide combs online which are like $5 for a guide comb up to 2 inches if you don't like using scissors. 

Do you mind me showing me a picture of your setup (3 mirriors) cuz i admit using only two mirrors are hard. but idk where to get a stationary side mirror

Originally Posted by flores

I decided to cut my hair after a month of growing it out.
Here's my weapon of choice. 

Before:....(Ignore the edited swirls.)  
laugh.gif

After:

what number is that on top?

Major props flores,I cut my own hair and ive given up on taperin the back of my neck,I usually just give myself an all even,taper the sideburns and box the neck,to get a straight line i use a headband and it works really well

Back
Top Bottom