Official Thread : Cut your own hair!

Originally Posted by skills

flores wrote:
After:
Clean fade, tips?
Patience and practice. and you also need some good mirrors..and don't be nervous when you cut your hair, it will always grow back.
One time the guard fell off the clipper and I cut my hair with the 0 without noticing, I was pretty pissed I had to go to school bald. 
laugh.gif

And about the mirrors, I use two. One stationary mirror and one mirror on my non-cutting hand.

i have wahl clippers right now and they come with the plastic guards. do they andis or osters come with the metal guard thingies? i think my barber said they cut better than whatever clippers use the plastic guards.

also, i'm specifically deciding between the andis masters and the oster 76. do they come with #1.5 and #2 guards? and are they metal or plastic? thanks.

actually, i'm not even finding the oster 76 on their website anymore. is it an outdated model? it seems like the turbo A5 is their highest priced model.

^^ Yea I use to own and Oster 111 and they use the metal guards.
but it gets kind of pricey, because every metal blade cost about $30.

That's a pic of the type of detachable metal blades I'm referring to.

images

Depends how often you use them, but once they become dull you can get them re-sharpened.

How is Remmington as a brand? Came up on some clippers with all the guards for free (moms used to cut her hair).

Also, what's a good set a trimmers for $20 or under?

Been cutting my own hair for the last 13 years. Just keep it super low, close to bald

It's very easy to cut even because of the guards but if you want to learn how to taper here is a decent video to help you get started. I've been cutting my own hair for a while and used this video to get started with tapers. It takes time to perfect it so dont over do it. Take your time because if you $+*% it up you'll be walking around looking like Frankenstein for a couple weeks. Trust me
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by His diabolical Majesty

Originally Posted by LA213ESPG

Originally Posted by sagolous

any recommended videos on youtube to watch?
Yea, the only reason I looked through this thread.
laugh.gif

Look up cakenisrandy on youtube. He got a couple of good tutorials on tapers and fades.

Oh and Andis are a must for lining yourself up. Don't use a razor blade every time you cut or else your hairline will be lookin like Jamie Foxx.

Wouldn't you save money from cutting your own hair rather than paying a barber?

So buying the more expensive and better clippers wouldn't be that big of a deal, right?

I've been cutting my hair for a long time. Best if you have a medicine cabinet on the side wall and another big mirror next to it. You'll be able to have a good view of the side and back of the head. I can do faded with or without attachments. I find it better for myself to move the clipper up and lift fast. If you see it needs to be better go back and go over it slower. It takes practice so no need to rush yourself and make a mistake. I've used Conair and Wahl. I like Conair more because it seems like they last longer, for me anyways.

Originally Posted by Adidas Freak

Oh and Andis are a must for lining yourself up. Don't use a razor blade every time you cut or else your hairline will be lookin like Jamie Foxx.
I don't think there's much of a difference.  Just don't push your hairline back.  Using a razor only gives you a closer cut / shave.  It won't stop hair growth like some people think.  If that were the case then you'd never have to line yourself up again which would actually be good.

iight so its official im making the transition to cutting my own hair. I need the andis T outliner for shapeups and any cheap clippers to give myself a dark #2 ceasar ?

Originally Posted by kickstart

Originally Posted by M4rioL

Originally Posted by Je Ne Sais Quoi

51ilgf2fjdL._AA300_.jpg

Does the job for me, been more than a year now.
exact ones I have
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Yeah these work pretty well especially for your first clippers. No complaints. I just need to go out and buy a t-outliner, but I have not felt like dropping 60 dollars
indifferent.gif

Just finished my cut for the week. Not the best, but it beats paying $20, and it gets better every time I do it.

1h46qo.jpg

2u9hnq9.jpg

2ntk6xs.jpg

Back
Top Bottom