OFFICIAL UA CURRY 1 : CHARGED BY BELIEF. PLAYOFFS RELEASE 5/22 /// MVP'S 6/13

im pretty sure thats what the Detroit Pistons trainer said when players kept getting injured wearing the Hyperize
I don't necessarily disagree with the statement, but I want to hear some physiological explanation because I'm actually really interested in this stuff and I wondered for a while why athletes like Brandon Roy, Greg Oden, and Derrick Rose now, keep having these catastrophic injuries when medicine has advanced so far. Is it the shoes? Is it the training staff or just the way their body is made? How come a player like Shaun Livingston can come back from a terrible injury and be fine? 

Not to start any drama here, and I know this is generalizing, but when UA/Adidas sponsored players get injured, "it's the shoes" yet when KD and Kobe get hurt, it's just a freak accident that could have happened to anyone. Personally, I think it was the KD6 that really started to bother Durant. I disliked those shoes a lot and at my gym, no one who played in them said they loved them and most said they were terrible to mediocre. Can't imagine how a pro who has to wear them every day would feel about them.

Again, I know that's a gross oversimplification and I'm not a Nike/Jordan hater, although they do things that bother the hell out of me sometimes (and so do UA and Adidas). I don't think anyone blamed the Nikes Brandon Roy wore throughout his career when he started dealing with injuries. I think it was Jason Petrie who talked crap about Adidas when Rose first got hurt.

It's a bunch of BS.

Fortunately, we are going through a pretty good era of performance shoes at the moment, and I'm becoming more and more convinced it might be the best period ever. The Curry 1, CF Drive, XX9 and JC2 are essentially flawless and I can't point to anything really "wrong" with them. I can't remember a time when there were this many shoes that were so good and readily available.

Not to start any drama here, and I know this is generalizing, but when UA/Adidas sponsored players get injured, "it's the shoes" yet when KD and Kobe get hurt, it's just a freak accident that could have happened to anyone. Personally, I think it was the KD6 that really started to bother Durant. I disliked those shoes a lot and at my gym, no one who played in them said they loved them and most said they were terrible to mediocre. Can't imagine how a pro who has to wear them every day would feel about them.

Again, I know that's a gross oversimplification and I'm not a Nike/Jordan hater, although they do things that bother the hell out of me sometimes (and so do UA and Adidas). I don't think anyone blamed the Nikes Brandon Roy wore throughout his career when he started dealing with injuries. I think it was Jason Petrie who talked crap about Adidas when Rose first got hurt.

It's a bunch of BS.

Fortunately, we are going through a pretty good era of performance shoes at the moment, and I'm becoming more and more convinced it might be the best period ever. The Curry 1, CF Drive, XX9 and JC2 are essentially flawless and I can't point to anything really "wrong" with them. I can't remember a time when there were this many shoes that were so good and readily available.
Man I agree with you, I didn't even pick up the KD 6 because it didn't "feel safe" and the KD 7 hurt the top of my feet. Kobe 8 were awesome until you started cracking your shank plate and heel cup. This being said, most of my hooping shoes are Nike and Zoom Air has to be the standard in cushioning for me. But right now, I'm loving playing in the CF Drive, Currys, and Lillards. 

Getting this train back to Curry though, I really like Charged Foam the more I play in it. Doesn't feel too different from the CF Drive since we still have the Micro G liner, but it really is the best of both worlds.

I don't necessarily disagree with the statement, but I want to hear some physiological explanation because I'm actually really interested in this stuff and I wondered for a while why athletes like Brandon Roy, Greg Oden, and Derrick Rose now, keep having these catastrophic injuries when medicine has advanced so far. Is it the shoes? Is it the training staff or just the way their body is made? How come a player like Shaun Livingston can come back from a terrible injury and be fine? 
D rose is the most confident/wreckless out of all of them. If i was to pick a shoe for him, I'd def go with something like the xx8 over his adiprene. Shoes most likely don't matter for most people but D rose is not most people. Most people are not D rose either.

Last edited:

It's a bunch of BS.

Looking forward to the JC2. KD 6 is a mediocre shoe but it prolly fits him better than the 7. I'm guessing that pro's do not care as much about what shoe they wear as long as it fits them WELL

Last edited:
Man I would have to think that pros, especially guys with sig. shoes would be very mindful about their preferences. But if you look at the Bron XI, it's like, was he even a part of the process at that point or did he just say "guys, you know what I like by now, just make a sturdy shoe with Zoom and send me some different design pics"??? How is he not going to wear his signature shoe? That was mad suspect to me.

I figure these guys have to play in the same shoe a lot, especially for big games, but I think they mix it up like crazy during practices. I definitely would. But when there isn't anything wrong with the shoe, like the Curry 1, it would be fine. That's what makes me appreciate the Curry 1/CF Drive. I feel like Curry really got the shoe he wanted and the design team at UA did a great job overall. They put out an amazing shoe that is visually appealing (to most of us) and set it at $120. There is no other shoe on the market that touches it in my opinion. If they lowered the XX9 by $100 or tightened up the heel area on the Lillard 1, but woulda shoulda coulda.

You have to remember what's good for us my not be what is good for the player. Their needs some first if its happens to be great for us too than that is a plus of not Nike is going go out of its way to make the shoe tailor to the general public. 

KD from what i seen really liked the 6 (not to sure if he got hurt in the 6 or 7). I mean he did wear it this season more than the 7. 

Kobe's first injury to me seemed like it was just a case of his body couldnt do it anymore (He was carrying the Squad to the playoffs that year and his body said NOPE)

not to sure the circumstances with KD. However Rose is a different story, I stongly think all his injuires had nothing to do with the shoe. more of the way he landed. second one same thing. 

For what it's worth, some PT friends I have never wear Nike's for working out or training because they feel the quality and build actually deteriorate your feet, knees, ankles, etc. I never bought into it but when so many people say so, maybe there's some truth to it

For what it's worth, some PT friends I have never wear Nike's for working out or training because they feel the quality and build actually deteriorate your feet, knees, ankles, etc. I never bought into it but when so many people say so, maybe there's some truth to it
do they say minimal footwear is best? I try to keep my time wearing ball kicks very short

Exactly what they tell me. They say that our feet are obstructed from natural movement and support when wearing all these full length max and zoom shoes, etc. They say wear a brace for whatever part of your body hurts after training, but wear shoes that are minimal.

I get that for people with "normal" feet. But I have flat feet, my podiatrist says that my feet are basically pancakes and with no arch support I've had plenty of foot problems till I got orthotics. Can't put orthos in minimalistic shoes so it's whatever, but remember, each person is different so go with what YOU like and are comfortable with.

Me but can't get them from FTL with the bday coupon. Code not working in-store for the time being.

Gonna get them online from FNL or UA.

The conversation up top about Nike/shoes not fitting well and the like...have to remember the shoes the pros wear aren't usually the same ones we see at least when it comes to the Sig guys.

Last edited:
Exactly what they tell me. They say that our feet are obstructed from natural movement and support when wearing all these full length max and zoom shoes, etc. They say wear a brace for whatever part of your body hurts after training, but wear shoes that are minimal.

I get that for people with "normal" feet. But I have flat feet, my podiatrist says that my feet are basically pancakes and with no arch support I've had plenty of foot problems till I got orthotics. Can't put orthos in minimalistic shoes so it's whatever, but remember, each person is different so go with what YOU like and are comfortable with.
The first thing podiatrists will say is to pay them $300 for an insole lol. It takes time to develop a weak/tight ankle/foot and takes time to strengthen and gain mobility back as well as loosen up trigger points. What helped my right ankle was constantly rolling out the shins, posterior tib, entire calf, adductors, quads, IT band. and learning to move correctly.

Last edited:
The conversation up top about Nike/shoes not fitting well and the like...have to remember the shoes the pros where aren't usually the same ones we see at least when it comes to the Sig guys.
yeah theres no way were actually getting the exact quality/products they wear. Just close enough to make us spend our money

Under Armour should invest in a iD type program.
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
I think until they command a bigger share of the market it'd be wise not to go that route from a business standpoint, but yeah I'd love that as long as they gave us decent options to work with.

Back
Top Bottom