Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Here it is, my review of Godzilla.

(I have seen, so spoilers included, do not read if you haven't seen film yet)

As I stated last night, it’s not 1998 anymore. Godzilla, has finally, been done right. :pimp:

We could all tell from the previews, the tone looked/sounded right. It was. They NEVER, strayed. They held that tension, pressure, fear, anxiety throughout the film. With that, the score or at least sound, was really really good. It added to the tension perfectly.

The director gave us everything we could want. You get a couple of shots of full on Godzilla in plain view, easy to see, detail, mass, everything. Yet, he doesn’t give you that the whole film. He keeps a LOT of shadow, glimpses, fog, water, door closing, whatever, to keep you in suspense. To make it scarier with the unseen. He doesn’t overdo a massive building walking around the planet, and he doesn’t Cloverfield never show him to us either, he does both, to hold your attention. (and breath)

The origin stories were well enough. Liked the way it began, showing some of the history of the OG storylines we grew up on, they made it feel old and new all at the same time, like they were connecting everything. Cranston carries the early part of the movie and gets you to Wanatabe who gave me kind of a Morpheus/announcer vibe. He sort of told us, what humanity was in store for, he predicted what was coming, what was going on, and essentially showed us, why we should be rooting for Godzilla, rather than trying to end him. I could be reaching on that, but that was how I felt.

To go with that, I swear on everything, in my heart, when the buses are on the bridge, and the tanks are rollin up and what not, they start yelling at the ships that there are still civilians on the bridge, don’t fire, don’t fire, and you see the missiles fired and gunfire headed right for the bridge, and suddenly Godzilla stands up and takes all of it. I swear that was Godzilla protecting those people. Maybe I’m dumb as hell and reaching, but that’s how I saw it. That bridge was about to be bombed to **** and he suddenly stood up and took every shot. I’ll be interested to hear the director, if he meant that intentionally or it was just a reach on my part.

Aaron Johnson was a surprise to me as the overall lead. I did not see him keeping me interested, but he did. Clearly, watching him compared to watching Godzilla on screen is a big letdown, but Johnson did an excellent job showing the goodness of humanity, trying to help the kid, trying to reach his family, dealing with the loss of his father, while still not entirely over the loss of his mother, but also trying to defeat these “monsters” to save mankind. Kind of a lot to get thru in a couple days. He showed everything you would hope an American soldier to be. Honorable, helpful, protecting, unafraid, focused, he brought everything to the table.

Not as much Elizabeth Olsen as I expected. Kind of let down by that, but clearly, they had enough of the human element going on, and the bottom line is this movie is about a big *** monster, not just a small family trying to reunite. I would love to have seen more of her, but I feel they balanced the film perfectly with Cranston, Wanatabe, Johnson, Olsen, AND the military on the human angle, and then of course, they had the big guy roaming around.

The fight scenes were splendid. The CGI was flawless. The detail to the cities, and destruction was top notch. The imagery was really good, like the news saying stay off the roads, only to show 50,000 cars piled up on the highways. :lol: :lol: :lol: All of it, really, really well done. They stayed in their tone and lane the whole way. (well, except for one thing, when the two bugs were rubbing faces, and the male gave the female the bomb shaped like a…….missile, to which she gently……inserted it to her lower regions…..I mean…..my wife and I were just like…….uhhhh……. :lol: that was a bit uncomfortable, but other than that scene, everything else was perfect :lol: ) When Godzilla did his work, people clapped, they cheered, the theatre left very happy. When that tail started to light up…. :wow: :pimp: The tail whip. :wow: :pimp: The finishing move. :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: Fatality. :pimp:

I expect sequels, without question. And if not, no problem. This film will carry me for a long time. 1998 can eat **** now, because this movie was everything I could have ever asked for.

In Sacramento 8 is as good as anything could be.

Spend any time living there and you'll see why there is no 9 or 10 in Rck's scale.
Dude hop off

Sick of being your daily confidence booster.

Cool we get it. You lived in Sacramento for a few months. Great you live in Santa Barbara and it is the most magical place on earth.

Have a hug.

Last edited:
damb. :lol:

debating if i should go tomorrow night in imax. probably my most anticipated summer movie, but i HATE opening night crowds. i wanna watch it like saturday before noon or something :lol:

It'll probably be Sunday for me 
tired.gif

Damn dude....
It was just jokes, you know you're my dude.

That'll be the last time i mention Sacramento. I apologize dude... Didn't know it really bothered you that bad. Thought it was our inside joke.

Now I'm scared to talk to you though. Not Tryna get killed...

Last edited:

Damn dude....
It was just jokes, you know you're my dude.

That'll be the last time i mention Sacramento. I apologize dude... Didn't know it really bothered you that bad. Thought it was our inside joke.

Now I'm scared to talk to you though. Not Tryna get killed...
It is our inside joke... I guess it was just a preemptive strike before anyone else piles on it 
laugh.gif

I still <3 you and I would never kill you 
smile.gif
embarassed.gif

In Sacramento 8 is as good as anything could be.

Spend any time living there and you'll see why there is no 9 or 10 in Rck's scale.
Dude hop off

Sick of being your daily confidence booster.

Cool we get it. You lived in Sacramento for a few months. Great you live in Santa Barbara and it is the most magical place on earth.

Have a hug.
No, no, it's not that Santa Barbara is magical.

It's that Sacto is terrible.

And what exactly is the premise of Batman vs. Superman?

Yes, my internet works. I'm asking in here to discuss w/ you guys.

Does it tie in w/ the last Batman trilogy & MOS?

Zero tie in with the last Nolan trilogy.

Yes, direct sequel/tie in with MOS.

i dont think they can go with a dark knight returns story line.. since MOS is an origin story.. 

but check out the animated 2 part movie for the dark knight returns, watched it last night.. was pretty good.. but that can give you some ideas of where they might be going, since that featured an older batman.. plus the custom looking similar 

Last edited:
It was in Arden near the Arden mall. Across from the Sac Expo.

My apt complex wasn't horrible, it was the palms. They actually had a sick pool and gym. No complaints about that.

It was everything outside of those apartment gates that was just horrifically dead and boring.

I mean... How many empty or closed down buildings could possibly exist on the main streets of a city? Endless.

Not gonna lie, bros: I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around Batman vs. Superman. 
ohwell.gif

And, not the biggest fan of what I consider to be the elbow skin of one of my favorite movies, Good Will Hunting (Ben Affleck).

So already, not feeling it.

Want to.

Just right off the bat (pun intended), I'm out.

Not gonna lie, bros: I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around Batman vs. Superman. 
ohwell.gif

And, not the biggest fan of what I consider to be the elbow skin of one of my favorite movies, Good Will Hunting (Ben Affleck).

So already, not feeling it.

Want to.

Just right off the bat (pun intended), I'm out.
Supposedly, Batman/Bruce Wayne is gonna come in to help clean up Metropolis and that whole mess after Supes and Zod leveled the place....

And of course, Batman/Wayne is also there to investigate Superman.

So thats gonna be how Batman fits. 

And I don't think the film is keeping the Batman vs. Superman title since... so the conflict between the two probably won't be that great because there is a larger looming baddie?

Back
Top Bottom